[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Kraken, Abbotsford Centre, October 4, 2023 @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #5

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Okay let's look at positives: 

We have 4 centers that are very capable.  Our strength will be down the middle.  Even after Petey, JT, Suter, and Blueger, we have Studnicka and Aman that are playing well enough to be in the linup.  

Our goalies look to be in shape.  

Hronek is looking good, Hughes is looking great.  

I'm just not sure about anything else. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya and we are not intimidating at all. We are a pretty soft team. I am surprised they haven't addressed this issue. I just think we are going to get pushed around.

well if they purely want sandpaper/enforcer type players then im sure that can be addressed.

but "toughness" itself isn't going to address the weak defence and stop goals from going in. 

being "soft" is also a mentality. 

there are lots of other teams that don't have ryan reaves, wilson...etc. but they still stick up for one another. 

this is more a team culture thing imo.

Edited by HuggyCareBear

Just now, moosehead said:

Developing good system / structure  is what the pressason is about. 

Hilarious that some people still don’t get that after all that’s happened.

No preseason wins don’t matter. But you wanna at least see the fundamentals of the system be strong and start to see chemistry in your lines/pairs develop.

Not sure how anyone is confident in what they’ve seen so far. So far I’ve seen a team that will need Petey and Hughes to carry them on their backs every night.

• Like 1

Just now, HuggyCareBear said:

well if they purely want sandpaper players then im sure that can be addressed.

but sandpaper itself isn't going to address the weak defence and stop goals from going in. 

there are lots of other teams that don't have ryan reaves, wilson...etc. but they still stick up for one another. 

Well you would think they would have added a few sandpaper players. 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

To be fair, we have proven in one preseason game already with the majority of our NHL roster that we can score and win games. 

it’s not the end of the world right now. 
but it is disappointing that some of the guys expected to play with urgency seem to have none. That’s fine, if just means we refill the roster without them and affords an easier assessment with which to make trades. 

DeSmith has played great. 
That’s an important piece that needed to be resolved. 
Soucy and Horny are looking like they will rep well on the D side this year. 
Another couple solid upgrades.

Cole too. Solid addition.

Let’s see how they play as a team come reg season. It’s really a bit premature to assume the preseason is definitive of anything when you have a scattered roster that doesn’t necessarily do anything to promote chemistry as the majority of the line combos are relatively set (even in Mik’s absence).

I for one don’t want to see our top players playing meaningless games against other players who are trying to  make a name for themselves and potentially taking liberties to do so. A potential injury within our top 6 right now would be far more concerning than the current level of play. 

I wouldnt jump the gun yet on what this team is capable or not capable of, regardless of how disappointing some of the preseason has been.

Well it's more the young guys. I just have seen nothing that looks exciting in fact it makes me worry about our prospect pool and their determination. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HuggyCareBear said:

well if they purely want sandpaper/enforcer type players then im sure that can be addressed.

but "toughness" itself isn't going to address the weak defence and stop goals from going in. 

They 2 goals in.........2 goals

• Cheers 1

Just now, Blue said:

Yes ! But that is why you play the roster exactly how it will be on opening night to test it out ! 

No man this team is a veteran team that knows how to win. They’ll turn it on and never look back…

Its not like we have a tough opening schedule…*checks schedule* Oh crap…

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well it's more the young guys. I just have seen nothing that looks exciting in fact it makes me worry about our prospect pool and their determination

I really don't understand how ppl think they can judge players determination and effort like this. Its ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

few things:

1. A thesis on Kole Lind and why nobody is taking him

2. Cotton-Eye Joe is stuck in my head on repeat

3. im still mad we passed on zach benson. Not picking BPA there was a huge error. 

Cause we drafted Cole Lind and we want him back on the cheap

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s the thing. This team has shown they can’t just turn it on.

Yet we’re going with the same approach of essentially icing the full roster for one game. No one should be surprised when this team has zero chemistry or offensive creativity in game 1.

chemistry doesn’t need to be the main focal point when you’re basically recycling the same top 6-9 lines as last season.  It might take a couple games sure to get in the groove, but the majority of these players are known quantities to each other and you’re not going to see a reg season effort in preseason when it doesn’t count. Some might think that’s the originating problem but it’s not. What is is whether we have the right characters in place to begin with. That’s on mgmt to define. I’m not sure some roster turnover has finished just yet. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hilarious that some people still don’t get that after all that’s happened.

No preseason wins don’t matter. But you wanna at least see the fundamentals of the system be strong and start to see chemistry in your lines/pairs develop.

Not sure how anyone is confident in what they’ve seen so far. So far I’ve seen a team that will need Petey and Hughes to carry them on their backs every night.

And to be fair, that’s the team we’ve had the past few years (plus Miller).

How the depth steps up will be a huge part of our success this year.  I do like our chances of winning like this 3-2 or 2-1 than last season’s 8-7 goal affairs.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why didn't Seattle?

Because they have a team that already knows their system and have proven to be able to deploy it effectively.

We have a team with upwards of 10 players who weren’t with the team when Tocchett took over. We need to build chemistry they don’t.

Edited by DeNiro

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Unacceptable bullshit!!!!

Wait a second……..These games don’t matter 

But they matter for this team. This isn't the Sedin team in 2010. We don't know what the fuck we have man. And we aren't going to figure out what we have by playing Kuzmenko with Linus Karrlson 

Edited by Blue

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Seattle isn't a team that completely dropped the ball at the start of seasons for the last 2. They made the playoffs last year.

And tocchet is getting a look at guys he doesn't know.......it's his first training camp and ore-season with the org.  

He knows what the main roster from last year can do 

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Cause we drafted Cole Lind and we want him back on the cheap

im confused as to why anyone in this forum is discussing anything other than kole lind

every single topic should be a discussion of either kole, lind, or both, or a personal thesis on why nobody is taking him

its pretty clear to me that this all comes down to kole lind

im definitely overtired, or potentially senile. Off to bed (in the old folks home)

• Haha 1