[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Kraken, Abbotsford Centre, October 4, 2023 @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #5

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Maybe I’m the eternal optimist, but I thought I saw some decent positives. 2:6 top 6 players in the line up on forward. Thought I saw some good things from the defense. I dunno. I’m not ready for the sky is falling mind set and the “team is in trouble”

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because they have a team that already knows their system and have proven to be able to deploy it effectively.

We have a team with upwards of 10 players who weren’t with the team when Tocchett took over. We need to build chemistry they don’t.

Do you think the main group has been practicing together all along?

Just now, Dr.BRR said:

Maybe I’m the eternal optimist, but I thought I saw some decent positives. 2:6 top 6 players in the line up on forward. Thought I saw some good things from the defense. I dunno. I’m not ready for the sky is falling mind set and the “team is in trouble”

Lots of positives, imo

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Unacceptable bullshit!!!!image.gif.60a0842199e141f9c22639d7b313d4ef.gif

Wait a second……..These games don’t matter 

Can only say that for one more game till they do…

People were saying the same thing last preseason and then wondered why we started 0-5.

We start with the Oilers twice and then the Lightning and Panthers. Being 1-4 to start the season will be in the cards if this team isn’t ready to go again.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Me too

seeing Podz not in line-he is on the big team.

Wathing Heronic with Soucy was horrible. Heronic with the leading AHL scorer looked tight.

I think Myers not punching teath and eyes out of that kid was honorable. I NYL will be differnt. z

• Sad 1

The most important W/L record is October 11 and 14 against the Oilers, not preseason, not even Friday against the Flames.   Even if we win another game with full line-up is a bonus.  One thing the Canucks will learn is that they will need to have a good start to a game for them to have a chance at winning a game.   They are typically a slow starter for years.    They probably will choose and pick because they cannot do it all 82 games.   Not all teams can maintain that type of fast start every game against the Canucks.  They are setting a pace to their liking to our chagrin.   We all know that not every prospect can make the team and they are AHL for a reason.   Our top guys are ready to play by Saturday's play.   There is no need to panic.  They will have one more preseason to get chemistry going.   I recall that they have had a fast start only for them to blow their lead and lost the season opener against McDavid of all world.  That set a snowball effect of inability to defend their leads.  This year they have much better defense than the last season's roster.  I can see the difference.  The only thing they need to work is breakouts to get their legs going.  We'll have no issue with Hughes.  That is my observation on the preseason so far.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Chicken Littles gonna chicken little.

Lots of people convincing themselves there isn’t an issue is all I see.

Some fans have a short memory I guess.

You know why a team like Seattle plays a strong system and forechecks hard in games? Because they go hard in practice and in preseason like they did tonight.

Fans can say preseason doesn’t matter all they want. But winning teams practice like they play and go hard any time they’re on the ice preseason or not. That’s how you build good habits. This team hasn’t had good habits over the years and you don’t get them by saying games don’t matter. This is the best time to work on those things.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Game situations are yes.

Which is why they needed to ice the full roster for the final three.

No, practice situations are.  That's where you build trust.  Game situations are loose and fluid and it's easy to feel disconnected when you haven't played together much 

Repetition leads to reliability and when you know you can rely on a linemate to be where they need to be, then youre building chemistry

I'm not saying games are bad, but they're not as important as practice in this context.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s just preseason…😐

This team is in trouble let’s face it. All the focus has been on defense and the defense hasn’t looked all that impressive and we still dont have set pairs.

The push that was supposed to come from the younger guys didn’t come which means we’re gonna have problems with depth scoring. We rely way too much on Pettersson and Hughes for offense as it is.

This team badly needs another top 6 player that can drive offense but with zero cap space and limited trade chips it won’t be possible. Honestly I’d be calling up Kessel right about now if I were Allvin. Even at 36 he might give you more than what I’ve seen from some of these guys.

Very disappointing preseason after so much talk of wanting to start strong. If things go sideways again there will be nowhere for this coaching staff and management to hide. Poor preparation once again.

I wouldn't say its poor preparation, we just aren't very good. Your right tho, no cap space and limited trade chips. How are you suppose to get better? This is our last season stuck in cap hell. Then I expect big changes.