[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Kraken, Abbotsford Centre, October 4, 2023 @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #5

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lots of people convincing themselves there isn’t an issue is all I see.

Some fans have a short memory I guess.

You know why a team like Seattle plays a strong system and forechecks hard in games? Because they go hard in practice and in preseason like they did tonight.

Fans can say preseason doesn’t matter all they want. But winning teams practice like they play and go hard any time they’re on the ice preseason or not. That’s how you build good habits. This team hasn’t had good habits over the years and you don’t get them by saying hames don’t matter. This is the best time to work on those things.

Yeah, I'm not seeing that.......just people not ready to jump off a bridge 5 games into pre-season.

Pace yourself

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Lots of people convincing themselves there isn’t an issue is all I see.

Some fans have a short memory I guess.

You know why a team like Seattle plays a strong system and forechecks hard in games? Because they go hard in practice and in preseason like they did tonight.

Fans can say preseason doesn’t matter all they want. But winning teams practice like they play and go hard any time they’re on the ice preseason or not. That’s how you build good habits. This team hasn’t had good habits over the years and you don’t get them by saying games don’t matter. This is the best time to work on those things.

arrested-development-lindsay-bluth.gif.d9fa187d752852ce96b5e653e1d34b8b.gif

• Haha 3

Game situations are yes.

Which is why they needed to ice the full roster for the final three.

Didn't Tocchet say that a week ago?  I thought so.

The difference I guess is that Petey was sick and I suppose they decided to throw a few more Abbotsford players in there. 

It looks to me like Rutherford is bang on when he said that things have to go just right for the team to be good.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

No, practice situations are.  That's where you build trust.  Game situations are loose and fluid and it's easy to feel disconnected when you haven't played together much 

Repetition leads to reliability and when you know you can rely on a linemate to be where they need to be, then youre building chemistry

I'm not saying games are bad, but they're not as important as practice in this context.

No chance.

You can’t replicate game situations in practice. Trusting what a player will do in practice vs in game are two completely different things.

Any player will tell you that. The pressure and the pace will always be higher in games.

Just seems like deja vu.

Another losing preseason where its all experimentation with new players right up to the second last game.  No chance of any chemistry between any finalized O or D pairs for few games in a row.

Another start to the season when we have to rely on the old...its just the pre-season, it doesn't matter, wait until the season starts and we will click the switch,....trust me.

I don't have a lot of confidence seeing this result, with a few of our starters in the mix against Seattle's minor league team.  The ones who aren't starters are what we will rely on for our depth.

The other half of the deja vu is re-setting on Oct. 11th, and again hoping that switch clicks on....this time.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Had my own game & couldn't watch, what were the take aways from this one?

I was reading on Twitter some ppl thought McWard looked pretty good away from Quinn. And nice to see Soucy score. 

A very defensive game, very few chances for either team.  It was pretty even overall I'd say 

I wasn't overly impressed with McWard, but loved Breezer and Wolanin.  I thought Hronek played well once he got away from Soucy, who did not look good, imo 

I like Carlssons game tonight and thought Raty looked pretty good, but did get caught on both goals.  

It was a boring game, but I think that's Tocchets MO.  It could easily have been 3-1 Canucks

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No chance.

You can’t replicate game situations in practice. Trusting what a player will do in practice vs in game are two completely different things.

Any player will tell you that. The pressure and the pace will always be higher in games.

Not really, no.  You play how you practice.......didn't anyone ever teach you that?

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

It looks to me like Rutherford is bang on when he said that things have to go just right for the team to be good.  

That old bastard is just learning how to cover is sorry ass in a Canadian market. I don't even believe that. We have a good team. We just need a good START.

Edited by Blue
  • Cheers 1

Do you guys think there should be an emphasis on scoring first? I feel like others don't think it's a big deal but always playing from behind is worrisome. Urgency to get that first goal should be a priority. I hope it's not a season where we spend 70 percent of games behind the eight ball and trying to climb our way back into games. 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah, I'm not seeing that.......just people not ready to jump off a bridge 5 games into pre-season.

Pace yourself

Who’s jumping off a bridge? Who’s being dramatic now? 😂

Simply pointing out what should be obvious to everyone. That icing your full roster in preseason to get reps in and gain chemistry is important.

I won’t be one of those people that say I told you so if this team starts 1-4. But it will be pretty obvious what the reason is. These games might not matter as much for a team like the Oilers but they matter for this team.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I wouldn't say its poor preparation, we just aren't very good. Your right tho, no cap space and limited trade chips. How are you suppose to get better? This is our last season stuck in cap hell. Then I expect big changes.

Patience, dude.  We all know that they can score goals but defence was our nemesis.  This season, our defence is a lot better and we should be able to defend leads if ever happens.  We have yet to score the first goal this preseason so we are overdue for one Friday and maybe next week opening week against the Oilers.   Next season will be a lot more flexible with so many contract coming off the books, finally.  We have few chips to trade that should get a reasonable returns if we are not so good.   We always finish strong so it's up to us to start better.  We tend to get tough schedule to start our season every year.  It is no wonder they are able to finish strong due to how schedule is set up.  It is a fool gold, deceiving ourselves when we are unable to truly evaluate our players mid-season until garbage time against weaker teams where they are out of the playoffs.  We are unable to really evaluate our players properly for years.

• Vintage 1

Who’s jumping off a bridge? Who’s being dramatic now? 😂

Simply pointing out what should be obvious to everyone. That icing your full roster in preseason to get reps in and gain chemistry is important.

I won’t be one of those people that say I told you so if this team starts 1-4. But it will be pretty obvious what the reason is. These games might not matter as much for a team like the Oilers but they matter for this team.

You, you're being dramatic

• Cheers 1