[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Kraken, Abbotsford Centre, October 4, 2023 @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #5

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

42 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't know where I saw it, but why is there a report that Hughes doesn't have a "regular" defensive partner?

Maybe we should wait until preseason finishes. And see how the regular season unfolds.

Yeah, saw that. Tocchet said they will approach the d as a committee

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't know where I saw it, but why is there a report that Hughes doesn't have a "regular" defensive partner?

Tocchet has been stating it without directly saying the words: It's "Defense by committee."

Sounds like they'll will be swapping partners  depending on what the game looks like at any given time. They don't have a bona-fide partner for Quinn so it'll be more of a rotating cast of both NHL and AHL guys. But we most likely won't see AHL guys out there nearly as often.

Reading between the lines:

Individually or together, Hughes and Hronek are going to be playing like 30 minutes a night

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

45 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe we should wait until preseason finishes. And see how the regular season unfolds.

Seems like a sound byte to get the press to stop asking about the pairings, and give them room to experiment a little. Tocchet also said it would be ideal to have regular partners, so I’d expect PA is working on this.

Drance had an interesting stat that the two teams with the most consistent d pairs last year were VGK and FLA,

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Reading between the lines:

Individually or together, Hughes and Hronek are going to be playing like 30 minutes a night

that’s right…he said those two would get their regular ice time.

A little surprised by this, as I expected they’d find a regular pair for Soucy after giving him 3 years term

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I don’t understand the logic of not trying Soucy or Cole with Hughes for an entire game. Soucy played like 2 or 3 shifts with Hughes that’s it.

Yeah, I expected a longer look for those two, but I understand the preference for a RHD partner given the importance of wall work in Tocchet’s system. 

We’ve had some trouble clearing the puck vs fast checking teams, and probably wouldn’t help to have our right side D taking it off the wall and/or passing from his backhand

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

If EP is dealing with an injury or soreness from that cross check he’s going to be angrier than a hornets nest. 

He’s got a bit of a mean streak

when tested and I wouldn’t want to be the one who pushes his button next. 

Quite true!  He's not the same skinny superstar he was when he firs hit the scene. He'll not be hesitant to skate past an assailant that's done him, or a team-mate

wrong and check him in a manner that creates pain, while never taking his eye off the play. He is about the smartest player, along with Hughes, to wear a Canuck's

jersey..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I don’t understand the logic of not trying Soucy or Cole with Hughes for an entire game. Soucy played like 2 or 3 shifts with Hughes that’s it.

Soucy is not very good... handles the puck like a grenade, terrible passes, gets beat wide, slow to pivot. No way he can take regular first pairing minutes 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

that’s right…he said those two would get their regular ice time.

A little surprised by this, as I expected they’d find a regular pair for Soucy after giving him 3 years term

Same. I'm sure they love to give Soucy more minutes too, but... product of circumstance more than anything methinks.

Either way it sounds like they aren't fucking around this year. The best players play-- The best players get the lions share of 5 on 5 icetime if that's what it takes to be successful. And frankly, I'm all for it.

I just hope they don't kill Hughes before they even get to the damn playoffs, you know?? Lord knows what he'll have left in the tank by then. Granted he's young; he can probably (hopefully) handle it? And since they brought on some real penalty killers that should help as well. Not playing double or triple duty everynight. Pettersson, too!

Edited by Canuckle
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, vermette9 said:

Soucy is not very good... handles the puck like a grenade, terrible passes, gets beat wide, slow to pivot. No way he can take regular first pairing minutes 

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You must be watching Myers…

Ok DEnero I admit that was funny, except it wasnt. You all thought Soucy was the answer but really, he cant play the minutes. The stupid thing is we all pick on Myers but at least he can play the minutes. He had the most blocked shots surprisingly last year even though he is all legs and holes and blocked the goalie more than the puck.

I think we need to put Myers on the PP in front of the other team goalie to balance the shit out.

2 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

If EP is dealing with an injury or soreness from that cross check he’s going to be angrier than a hornets nest. 

He’s got a bit of a mean streak

when tested and I wouldn’t want to be the one who pushes his button next. 

He remains me Pete Forsberg that way.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Soucy is actually very reminiscent of Myers, and there's nothing wrong with that. 

I'd bring back Myers in a heartbeat next season if he takes 2.5 mil/year. 

I think fans watching Soucy at 3Mil cap hit comparing to Myers 6Mil cap hit will start to appreciate Myers this year.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Huggy Bear said:

Yeah, I expected a longer look for those two, but I understand the preference for a RHD partner given the importance of wall work in Tocchet’s system. 

We’ve had some trouble clearing the puck vs fast checking teams, and probably wouldn’t help to have our right side D taking it off the wall and/or passing from his backhand

Can we at least try Myers with Hughes one game? Just one Pre-season game?

9 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Can we at least try Myers with Hughes one game? Just one Pre-season game?

Now that Myers knows Hughes is the guy I bet they are perfect for eachother. Myers knows his role now. The defence, not the pincher. But the other teams will be expecting Myers to jump which will give the canucks more room in front.

Myers is a good D. But he's been overpaid at 6 mill.

With 5 mill of his salary already paid as bonus I think Canucks will keep him until the tdl and trade him for a 2nd rounder with maximum cap retention. 

He's been a good player. Just not a 6 mill player.

Soucey is a solid 3rd pair D. That's all we should expect from him. With occasional bump up in the lineup to 4D due to injuries. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

You must be watching Myers…

You must not be watching the games.. soucy isn't good... he's a 3rd pairing penalty killer that is it . Classic canucks paying a 3rd string on another team to play up on ours. Myers, poolman, Schmidt etc.

30 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Myers is a good D. But he's been overpaid at 6 mill.

With 5 mill of his salary already paid as bonus I think Canucks will keep him until the tdl and trade him for a 2nd rounder with maximum cap retention. 

He's been a good player. Just not a 6 mill player.

Soucey is a solid 3rd pair D. That's all we should expect from him. With occasional bump up in the lineup to 4D due to injuries. 

If Soucey is a 3 Mil cap hit dman, Myers is a 8 million dollar man after the shit he gonna do this year. Go Spider man go.