[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Kraken, Abbotsford Centre, October 4, 2023 @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #5

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

9 minutes ago, Odd. said:

It’s hilarious that some people think just because a player was force fed top 4 minutes due to lack of quality that they’re suddenly minute munching top 4 defenseman 😂

Tyler Myers Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Vancouver Canucks | Sports Forecaster
According to these guys, Myers long range potential is a "Massive minute-devouring defenseman"

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

So who are the best guys left? Hronek and Boeser I guess? Presumably DeSmith in net. I'm guessing Hronek pairs with Soucy on the top pairing and we have Myers on the 2nd pairing and the rest of the guys battling for D spots playing on D. Will be interesting to see if this ragtag can be better than the last one, but they should be with more NHL calibre players and against a Seattle team not icing their full roster.

EDIT: Forgot about Kuzmenko.

First line of Boeser and Kuzmenko...with Suter I guess? Lacking offensive power at centre without Miller and Petey. I wonder if Hoglander gets to play with Boeser or Kuzy or if he's supposed to anchor his own line. Beauvillier probably fills out the last top 6 winger spot, but we're so weak at a C this game I wonder if we try something like Joshua at C. Studnicka will probably get the 2C chance tonight I'm guessing.

My guess for the top two lines are:

Kuzmenko - Suter - Boeser

Hoglander - Studnicka - Beauvillier 

Only caveat here is that Hoglander and Beauvillier are both LW as far as I can tell, so not sure if they'd play RW for a game.

Soucy - Hronek

??? - Myers

DeSmith

Miller doesn't have Deb permission to play again?????Our season going down the drain.🤪

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

He’s clearly only in the line up because 1. Nobody wants him despite management having tried to move him over the years. 2. Because we literally have no one who can play on the right side besides Hronek who is at least somewhat of NHL calibre.

McWard unfortunately has to play above what he can manage. Juulsen can’t process the game or move at an NHL pace. I’m 100% sure there will be a trade or a waiver wire pick up to address our right D situation. 

The Myers apologists eerily remind of the Benning bros and how they would go to extreme lengths. Myers is a wonderful human being, but he’s not suited for any role besides being a 3rd pair 15-17 minute defenseman with no PK time.

I agree mostly. I just want to add that the Canucks neglect of RD has only exacerbated the problem. Myers in 15-17 min on the third line and even a little PK time might be almost decent if surrounded by competent defence personnel. We just haven't seen it. Having said that, I too long for the day we don't have to worry about watching him make horrible play after horrible play.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Odd. said:

It’s hilarious that some people think just because a player was force fed top 4 minutes due to lack of quality that they’re suddenly minute munching top 4 defenseman 😂

But it's also not wise to mortgage your future when the cupboard is bare to find stop gap solutions as well.

• Cheers 1

There may be several reasons for recalling the just-cleared-waivers guys.

They may have irons in the fire v/v trades and want to showcase to other GMS, AGMs, and scouts, e.g.

They still may keep some of these guys up, even to just keep the fires hot under other players asses.

Also, does it mean anything that Garland is in the hot tub while Beauvillier is playing tonight?

*****************************************************************************************

Cheers everyone!

Great to have a GDT and great to have a Canuck game tonight.

But especially, is it not GREAT to have THIS FORUM?!?

BIG UPS TO THE NEW FORUM CREATORS ET AL!

Big Ups Mike Tyson GIF - Big Ups Mike Tyson Cameo - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

For sure - and he’ll likely be top 4 in minutes this year yet again.  

But I’m sure multiple NHL head coaches are actually idiots and Myers is replacement level trash.

Yet at the same time I don't think there are more than 2 or 3 teams that would take him for free, if that. We're only playing him because we are forced to through bad cap management. If we had $6 mil or even a portion of that to spend elsewhere I'am sure we would. Myers is more in the $2.5 - $4 mil range on a short term deal to a team that wants that type of player.

Personally I think most coaches in the NHL would pass on him as a starter. I guess we'll see next year by what type of deal he gets. It will be interesting to see him play this year in a more limited role. Maybe he will be solid. Let's hope.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Goals against 25th , penalty kill last. 

keep telling yourself myers is "minute cruncher" on a good team 

Who would you want playing 20 minutes a game?

Myers?

Juulsen?

McWard?

Is he a great defenceman? No. Is he overpaid. Yes. Do we have the personnel to replace his minutes? Again No.

Could we try and keep things simple for Myers, and keep his minutes down and try to even the load? Yeah.

I do not want to see us losing a first round pick to get a replacement, only to be stuck with the same situation 1-2 years down the road.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, AatuD2 said:

It really is a short term strategy. 

We all need to realize that we need one more year of patience.  

I was happy that we had a conservative summer in just adding some small and short cap commitments. 

Trying to solve the Quinn Hughes' partner situation this summer would've been a faux-pas IMO. 

We have lots of money getting freed up next summer for Petey and Hronek extensions, and also for an upgrade on Myers at RHD. 

I've been saying for years we will never truly be able to turn the corner until that awful Myers contract is over. It's still true. Only one more year. 🤞

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Myers?

Juulsen?

McWard?

Is he a great defenceman? No. Is he overpaid. Yes. Do we have the personnel to replace his minutes? Again No.

Could we try and keep things simple for Myers, and keep his minutes down and try to even the load? Yeah.

I do not want to see us losing a first round pick to get a replacement, only to be stuck with the same situation 1-2 years down the road.

Hughes

hronek

cole

saucy

How about them?

Just now, Conscience said:

Hughes

hronek

cole

saucy

How about them?

Who's the other pairing?

Hronek I'm not so worried about minutes if he's healthy.

Who is the other two playing RHD, is what I'm worried about.

And after this season, then we can look at completely replacing Myers.

But as a third RHD, Myers with the correct left side partner with 12-15 minutes and simplifying his game should not be so bad.

At least until reinforcements are ready.

1 minute ago, dannydog said:

Just got in , and what!! Why are we icing Abby’s team once again? Or are we hoping for another slow start? Kinda confused as all other teams are working their 23\24 completed rosters.

Seattle is missing tons of stars, so I figure we're matching. WIll probably make most final cuts after this game I'm betting.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Myers?

Juulsen?

McWard?

I'd rather give McWard the minutes myself but realistically Hronek can play the 22 he played last year but probably even more as our best RD. 22-24 minutes. McWard 17-18, Myers 17, Soucy+Cole 3-5 minutes PK or 20 overall if one plays with Hughes.