[Speculation] Canucks’ Rathbone may request trade

RWJC

He needs to go to a team that will have an opening for a sheltered, 2nd PP offensive D. He's never going to get those minutes here behind Hughes and Hronek.

I'm hopeful now that he's passed, we can move him for a Bjork, Pachal or Coghlan, rather than those teams lose those guys on waivers for nothing.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I actually think Rathbone's gonna be really good, but we have no need for him here. Team doesn't need another small offensive DMan. Sucks because I think he's gonna be an amazing offensive DMan in the NHL but it'll be hard for us to build up his value when we can't fit the kid anywhere. So we'll probably get peanuts for him but thats the way she goes.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He needs to go to a team that will have an opening for a sheltered, 2nd PP offensive D. He's never going to get those minutes here behind Hughes and Hronek.

I'm hopeful now that he's passed, we can move him for a Bjork, Pachal or Coghlan, rather than those teams lose those guys on waivers for nothing.

Exactly this. 

1 hour ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

He is 24 years old, and he has shown bupkiss at the NHL level, because he just doesn't have the full package needed to play in the show.

He's a 4th round pick and picks that late rarely turn into anything worth while anyway.

And as if the odds weren't stacked enough, since he turned pro, Rathbone has been absolutely plagued by injuries/concussions which has been detrimental his development

Over the past 3 seasons he's only played a total of 112 professional games... and the pandemic certainly didn't help there either.

Talking about his age, stating he's "shown bupkiss" and "doesn't have what it takes" without mentioning any of those underlying factors is a bit of a dishonest approach to the situation.

Would be similar to talking about Brock's rocky game last year... without  mentioning the root causes-- what was going on, what he was dealing with, etc.

Maybe Rathbone figures it out. Maybe he doesn't.  But there are better ways to go about discussing his situation and what he may or may not be capable of in the future, especially considering the unfortunate  history there. Just saying.

Edited by Canuckle
stuff
  • Like 1

This is a stupid conversation.

Rathbone is young. He can hit. He can be a Tanev. He doesnt need to be in the big game to be an asset in 3 or 4 years. 

We could trade him now for nothing or have a little faith.

You dont ever get a Hughes on a hundred tosses. You gotta grow the beasts in the garage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, moosehead said:

Rathbone has to suck it up.  Getting better defensively. Get stronger.

Next year iin camp , show up and demonstrate that you can take care of business in his own end.  

Nobody plays in the show that isn't solid defensively. 

Rathbone's role in abby is to cover ass for Wolanan and Juulsen so what do you expect? Yeah, he could be a great offensive defenseman but he has been having to cover ass for them two.

Rathbone is in the process of getting angry. and Although I predict his Penaty minutes are going up this year, he will end up being the right guy in a year or two

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

I wonder if the 2 year/1 way contract he was signed for (NHL level $) has been at all a bit prohibitive in trading him thus far? 

For sure.  He's getting paid $950,000 this year to play in Abby.  For comparison, Nils Aman is getting paid $70,000.  So, his contract could pay like 14 guys in the minors.  An entire roster in the minors might be like $1.25 to $2 million max.  

We will need to trade him for someone in a similar boat I think.  I'd do Rathbone for Marcus Bjork easy.  Bjork will be getting $375,000 to play in the minors, so we may actually have to retain money to trade Rathbone...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

He's a 4th round pick and picks that late rarely turn into anything worth while anyway.

And as if the odds weren't stacked enough, since he turned pro, Rathbone has been absolutely plagued by injuries/concussions which has been detrimental his development

Over the past 3 seasons he's only played a total of 112 professional games... and the pandemic certainly didn't help there either.

Talking about his age, stating he's "shown bupkiss" and "doesn't have what it takes" without mentioning any of those underlying factors is a bit of a dishonest approach to the situation.

Would be similar to talking about Brock's rocky game last year... without  mentioning the root causes-- what was going on, what he was dealing with, etc.

Maybe Rathbone figures it out. Maybe he doesn't.  But there are better ways to go about discussing his situation and what he may or may not be capable of in the future, especially considering the unfortunate  history there. Just saying.

You start by saying "4th round pick and picks that late rarely turn into anything worth while anyway", but then continue with excuses and defense of the poor, unfortunate lad as if he would be something if not for those circumstances.

Please, spare me the fanboy crap, and enough of the over-valuing already.

31 teams passed him by, a free for the taking asset.

He's not good enough.

Just sayin'.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

this... he just cleared waivers where someone could have taken him for free...

It's not unusual for a player to clear waivers then get traded, it's also not common but it can happen. It's usually for some other dude that also cleared waivers. Now he has the freedom to move between the big club and another team's minor league team. And it's a case of contract in contract out. Claiming someone is a situation where they are taken purely to play on the big team and that's a roster spot taken. He can get traded, I just don't see it happening any time soon.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Rathbone has to suck it up.  Getting better defensively. Get stronger.

Next year iin camp , show up and demonstrate that you can take care of business in his own end.  

Nobody plays in the show that isn't solid defensively. 

To be fair, Bouchard, Barrie, and Rielly aren't exactly NHL quality in their own zone, although I agree they don't belong in the NHL.  Bottom line is most teams don't want a defenceman who can't play defence, and no good ones do.

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

I wonder if the 2 year/1 way contract he was signed for (NHL level $) has been at all a bit prohibitive in trading him thus far? 

Bingo! 

Rathbone is an RFA with Arb at the end of the season.  They could either sign him on a 1 year 2 way contract [and trade him]  or just not qualify him 

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

You start by saying "4th round pick and picks that late rarely turn into anything worth while anyway", but then continue with excuses and defense of the poor, unfortunate lad as if he would be something if not for those circumstances.

Please, spare me the fanboy crap, and enough of the over-valuing already.

31 teams passed him by, a free for the taking asset.

He's not good enough.

Just sayin'.

You clearly missed the point of bringing up the 4th round pick part.

It's about holding fair expectations for players. 

Not about being a "fanboy" or "overvaluing" either. It's only to say that an honest assessment of the facts, addressing the background of the situation is crucial before you can reasonably speak about something with any real legitimacy. Which you failed to do yet again.

Resorting to name calling certainly isn't helping your case here either.

And yes, lucky us no other team claimed him on waivers. While he may be 24, there also may still be a player there having played so few games due to the unfortunate injury history.

Maybe teams will later kick themselves for not picking him up.You don't know and neither do I. Just like what happened with Gustav Forsling in Carolina and no teams picked him up the first time he was on waivers.

But somehow YOU know?

Sure buddy.

• Vintage 1

He can ask for a trade, but he is in no position to do anything about it now

He had the opportunity to stick and that's on him, no point in sitting out

He is paid 1 way money in good faith and having him stay to earn that spot, the Canucks had hopes he'd be on the team probably by now when they signed him to that

10 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

He can ask for a trade, but he is in no position to do anything about it now

He had the opportunity to stick and that's on him, no point in sitting out

He is paid 1 way money in good faith and having him stay to earn that spot, the Canucks had hopes he'd be on the team probably by now when they signed him to that

Yeah exactly. And there's no rule that says he can't still get called up at some date. But until then he can work with Colliton et al. on his deficiencies and earn his way like everyone else, just like Podz has to do as well.

Still a bit too early to throw out the book on the guy, especially given the injury history, missed development time and all the rest.

Edited by Canuckle
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

You clearly missed the point of bringing up the 4th round pick part.

It's about holding fair expectations for players. 

Not about being a "fanboy" or "overvaluing" either. It's only to say that an honest assessment of the facts, addressing the background of the situation is crucial before you can reasonably speak about something with any real legitimacy. Which you failed to do yet again.

Resorting to name calling certainly isn't helping your case here either.

And yes, lucky us no other team claimed him on waivers. While he may be 24, there also may still be a player there having played so few games due to the unfortunate injury history.

Maybe teams will later kick themselves for not picking him up.You don't know and neither do I. Just like what happened with Gustav Forsling in Carolina and no teams picked him up the first time he was on waivers.

But somehow YOU know?

Sure buddy.

Name calling? Sorry for calling you a "fanboy", how could I have known you'd be so sensitive?

And continuing to compare him to other players while using hindsight and "what if's" and hypotheticals to strengthen your argument is weak, buddy.