[Speculation] Canucks’ Rathbone may request trade

RWJC

3 hours ago, Rekker said:

A trade? I get how he feels, but no one wanted him for free to play on their NHL roster. 

Yeah, that kinda sums it up. Someone may trade for him to play on their AHL team, but no guarantee for Rathbone that a trade will result a better route to the NHL. He knows his value is a bit low right now so he'll have to prove himself a bit before asking for anything.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He needs to go to a team that will have an opening for a sheltered, 2nd PP offensive D. He's never going to get those minutes here behind Hughes and Hronek.

I'm hopeful now that he's passed, we can move him for a Bjork, Pachal or Coghlan, rather than those teams lose those guys on waivers for nothing.

Not to mention Wolainen (short term at least) and maybe Hirose and even Willander when he arrives. He's only hurt himself as well with a bit of a backslide last year and needing to work on his defence.

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I didnt mean to offend anyone, DLC or any other Moderators out there.

I just think the fucking Canucks defense needs some more Luke Shenn, some more Tanev, Raffi Torres, some more shit kickers who are better at defending than scoring.

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah, that kinda sums it up. Someone may trade for him to play on their AHL team, but no guarantee for Rathbone that a trade will result a better route to the NHL. He knows his value is a bit low right now so he'll have to prove himself a bit before asking for anything.

Yeah, He could be a shit-kicker for the canucks. Now that he cleared, he should unleash the beast, lose a few teeth. The previous coaches didnt tell him what he is good at.

I thnk these d-coaches will.

3 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Yeah, He could be a shit-kicker for the canucks. Now that he cleared, he should unleash the beast, lose a few teeth. The previous coaches didnt tell him what he is good at.

I thnk these d-coaches will.

You keep saying that, but he's 5'10" and 180lbs - and has been coming off a series of injuries including concussions. No one will ever confuse him for a big physical presence no matter what he does. He'll succeed on his offence and shoring up his defence if he does at all. Your suggestion will end his career quick.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

I didn’t suggest him. I actually wasn’t too familiar with him, so I looked him up, and shared a link of what I found.

My observations were that he “looks like an offensive dman, but has decent size and is a BC boy.” 

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

You keep saying that, but he's 5'10" and 180lbs - and has been coming off a series of injuries including concussions. No one will ever confuse him for a big physical presence no matter what he does. He'll succeed on his offence and shoring up his defence if he does at all. Your suggestion will end his career quick.

Yeah he is light and short but he has some fire. I bet he does better in a cage fight than any other dman. He just has to put that on the ice

11 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

sorry I ment to just quote this

If he goes hard for the hits and the defense he might get paid.

Wolanin gets twice the points and opportunites, and not a glimps of the NHL. If Julles wants to make the big bucks he has to get the dirty on.

51 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Name calling? Sorry for calling you a "fanboy", how could I have known you'd be so sensitive?

And continuing to compare him to other players while using hindsight and "what if's" and hypotheticals to strengthen your argument is weak, buddy. 

Again and again you miss what's being said and why. And you still haven't addressed the initial argument, btw, let alone provide a legitimate argument yourself. All you've done is fling insults and dismiss facts as "excuses." Apparently that's the best you got? Little disappointing, but so be it.I can tell you're not at a place to have a rationale discussion about prospect development paths and potentials so have a good night.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Again and again you miss what's being said and why. And you still haven't addressed the initial argument, btw, let alone provide a legitimate argument yourself. All you've done is fling insults and dismiss facts as "excuses." Apparently that's the best you got? Little disappointing, but so be it.I can tell you're not at a place to have a rationale discussion about prospect development paths and potentials so have a good night.

I just don't think he's very good.

And the fact remains, that 32 NHL teams don't want him on their roster, including his own, and with him at 24 years old, coming in to camp/pre-season with no hunger, and laying an egg - that's is and was my "argument".

But let's just beg to differ, and leave it at that. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I just don't think he's very good.

And the fact remains, that 32 NHL teams don't want him on their roster, including his own, and with him at 24 years old, coming in to camp/pre-season with no hunger, and laying an egg - that's is and was my "argument".

But let's just beg to differ, and leave it at that. Cheers.

I never said i thought he was amazing or even good either, dude. That's the thing.

Im just saying this is what happened to him. These are some possible factors in why things went the way they did at that time and that it's not impossible he might still become something at a later date. Even being a 4th round pick where odds are against him to begin with, to curb great expectations (and to also highlight that a) nobody should be surprised or b) make a big deal about it if it doesn't pan out.

Doesn't even have to be about lack of "hunger" or something he specifically did or didn't do as some personality flaw, coming unprepared or otherwise. But perhaps not having developed the skills to do it yet due to the list of unfortunate instances in the past.

Of course I'm not saying it couldn't be a bit of what you're saying here either. Just a matter of putting all the cards on table and looking at it objectively.

Mentioning a specific other prospect that got sent down and not claimed but later became a player is simply outlining that writing players off on it isn't always the case. Rare as it may be. And I'm willing to bet there will be a couple players from other teams put on waivers the last few days that will later do the same. And other teams will also have missed on that opportunity because who has a crystal ball right?

I agree it's not looking good for Rathbone given the situation, but still a bit too soon to write him off completely given why he's in the position he's in. Talent is there. Organization certainly thought so with the contract they gave him. Even Rutherford on the Bob McCown podcast last summer said he thought Rathbone was trending the right way (before the Bruce debacle with the young players.)  Like... is 24 too late to change, adapt, grow into something more? If he can stay healthy and make up for lost development time with Abby staff can he not become a player? Seems a bit premature to throw out the book on him given the underlying reasons for his stunted growth.

That's all I'm really saying here.

Edited by Canuckle

18 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

I never said i thought he was amazing or even good either, dude. That's the thing.

Im just saying this is what happened to him. These are some possible factors in why things went the way they did at that time and that it's not impossible he might still become something at a later date. Even being a 4th round pick where odds are against him to begin with, to curb great expectations (and to also highlight that a) nobody should be surprised or b) make a big deal about it if it doesn't pan out.

Doesn't even have to be about lack of "hunger" or something he specifically did or didn't do as some personality flaw, coming unprepared or otherwise. But perhaps not having developed the skills to do it yet due to the list of unfortunate instances in the past.

Of course I'm not saying it couldn't be a bit of what you're saying here either. Just a matter of putting all the cards on table and looking at it objectively.

Mentioning a specific other prospect that got sent down and not claimed but later became a player is simply outlining that writing players off on it isn't always the case. Rare as it may be. And I'm willing to bet there will be a couple players from other teams put on waivers the last few days that will later do the same. And other teams will also have missed on that opportunity because who has a crystal ball right?

I agree it's not looking good for Rathbone given the situation, but still a bit too soon to write him off completely given why he's in the position he's in. Talent is there. Organization certainly thought so with the contract they gave him. Even Rutherford on the Bob McCown podcast last summer said he thought Rathbone was trending the right way (before the Bruce debacle with the young players.)  Like... is 24 too late to change, adapt, grow into something more? If he can stay healthy and make up for lost development time with Abby staff can he not become a player? Seems a bit premature to throw out the book on him given the underlying reasons for his stunted growth.

That's all I'm really saying here.

Fair enough, I acquiesce lol, I guess we'll just have to see how it all plays out...

Ty Smith has a much better pedigree than Rathbone and he also cleared waivers.  If you are undersized as a Dman you need to be able to put up big numbers in the NHL.  Neither of these players can do that.  Plus, they can't defend.  I saw that Forsling was brought up here.  Forsling is a very good defender.  He actually plays way more minutes on the PK than he does on the PP.  So, there is no comparison between Forsling and Rathbone.

Hirose has a chance to make the NHL because he plays good defense.  He is undersized as well but is very good positionally.  He could play NHL games this season...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I do wonder if a team worried about losing someone on waivers would be willing to trade a player for Rathbone and/or a pick.

For example, Carolina with Coghlan or Columbus with Peeke. 

For example:

Columbus - Peeke 50% retained

Canucks - Rathbone and a 3rd

17 minutes ago, Devron said:

Fun Fact: couple people suggested We could trade Hughes a couple years ago because we had Rathbone 🤪

I would suggest a move like that gets you not just fired from the organisation, but the entire NHL!!!

That would be some sort of colossal screw up that no employer could forget or forgive

• Vintage 1

I can't see a scenario where a team targets him as the main piece of a trade. There just can't be much of interest or value there and I'm convincing myself he would be seen as just a contract. 

Project for project or as a trade balancer sort of thing. 

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Tusk said:

I didnt mean to offend anyone, DLC or any other Moderators out there.

I just think the fucking Canucks defense needs some more Luke Shenn, some more Tanev, Raffi Torres, some more shit kickers who are better at defending than scoring.

That is true, I would love to have Taney back.