[Speculation] Canucks’ Rathbone may request trade

RWJC

8 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Not to mention Wolainen (short term at least) and maybe Hirose and even Willander when he arrives. He's only hurt himself as well with a bit of a backslide last year and needing to work on his defence.

To be fair, a lot of his issues this past season were injury related. Really though, he's never going to get a chance with this roster. That 3rd pair requires a reliable guy that can eat 10-15 minutes+... Hence guys like Brisebois getting minutes there last season. If Soucy stays there, there's even less opportunity.

Unfortunately for him, about the last thing we need is a small, offensive D. That's a roster issue, less so a Rathbone issue.

• Cheers 1

I never believed that he was ever going to be on our roster as a full time player, I had hoped he would increase his value to be a good trade piece.  I was angling for him to be the sweetener to move a contract like Garland.

He has stagnated and not developed unfortunately and has no value.

• Upvote 1

Watching Rathbone in camp, he is super small. He makes Hughes look big. The offensive tools are there but his defensive reads are not NHL level, and he hasn't learned how to use his stick and speed as effectively as Hughes does. He relies more so on his strength but almost every guy out there towers over him. 

First off, there is no indication in the article that JR has ever asked for a trade and the writer is only

speculating that he will now.

I really liked him when he was picked by the Canucks.  As a 4th round pick, he seemed to have

some good skills and his personal story showed some good character.  His 1st year in the AHL

was promising, but sadly, he has struggled with injuries (concussions) and hasn't moved the

needle since.

It was obvious to me that he would pass through waivers, as he is clearly not at the NHL level.

At this point, I can see him traded to an eastern team for compassionate reasons (so he can

be closer to his family).  The return will be another hockey player that will likely never make

the NHL.

Whatever the case, I wish him well. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

First off, there is no indication in the article that JR has ever asked for a trade and the writer is only

speculating that he will now.

I really liked him when he was picked by the Canucks.  As a 4th round pick, he seemed to have

some good skills and his personal story showed some good character.  His 1st year in the AHL

was promising, but sadly, he has struggled with injuries (concussions) and hasn't moved the

needle since.

It was obvious to me that he would pass through waivers, as he is clearly not at the NHL level.

At this point, I can see him traded to an eastern team for compassionate reasons (so he can

be closer to his family).  The return will be another hockey player that will likely never make

the NHL.

Whatever the case, I wish him well. 

Trade him for a BC boy out east who's also struggling to make the NHL. That'd be a nice thing to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Integra250 said:

Watching Rathbone in camp, he is super small. He makes Hughes look big. The offensive tools are there but his defensive reads are not NHL level, and he hasn't learned how to use his stick and speed as effectively as Hughes does. He relies more so on his strength but almost every guy out there towers over him. 

Rathbone is a lot bigger than Hughes.

IMG_9855.jpeg

BRUINS

Should The Bruins Bring Jack Rathbone Home?

Should the Boston Bruins bring West Roxbury, MA native and former Harvard defenseman Jack Rathbone home?

The Vancouver Canucks defenseman passed through waivers on Monday and was assigned to the team’s AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks. The feel around the NHL now is that Rathbone will be traded soon.

“I think it’s a bit of a shame because I really thought for a time ago that was a really good marriage, the Canucks and Rathbone. It’s been slowly deteriorating,” Sportsnet NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman said on the most recent 32 Thoughts Podcast.

“I do think that there were times that Rathbone considered asking for a trade but never did. But I’ve got to think now, I wouldn’t be surprised if that comes up. Just another chance in another organization.”

After 53 points in 61 NCAA games in two seasons at Harvard, Rathbone turned pro in 2020, signing a two-year, one-way $1.7 million contract just a year ago that guaranteed him an NHL salary of $850,00, even while playing in the AHL. In his first pro season with Abbotsford, Rathbone had 40 points in 39 games and appeared to be on a fast track to a spot on the Canucks NHL roster, but that has never really materialized. The 24-year-old, 5-foot-11, 190-pound rearguard had a goal and an assist in 11 games with Vancouver and then regressed in the AHL as he had just five goals and nine assists in 37 games.

The Boston Bruins are expected to have up to four left-shot defensemen on their NHL roster in Hampus Lindholm, Matt Grzelcyk, Derek Forbort, and Jakub Zboril, with potentially rookie Mason Lohrei entering the fray as well this season.

So, does bringing in another fringe defenseman on the left side make sense right now for the Bruins?

It could if Boston Bruins general manager Don Sweeney is able to clear cap space by trading Matt Grzelcyk or Forbort, as discussed here last week. If that happens, then maybe the Bruins do become a team interested in acquiring Rathbone.

Jimmy Murphy

https://bostonhockeynow.com/2023/10/03/boston-bruins-should-the-bruins-bring-jack-rathbone-home/

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

BRUINS

Should The Bruins Bring Jack Rathbone Home?

Should the Boston Bruins bring West Roxbury, MA native and former Harvard defenseman Jack Rathbone home?

The Vancouver Canucks defenseman passed through waivers on Monday and was assigned to the team’s AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks. The feel around the NHL now is that Rathbone will be traded soon.

“I think it’s a bit of a shame because I really thought for a time ago that was a really good marriage, the Canucks and Rathbone. It’s been slowly deteriorating,” Sportsnet NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman said on the most recent 32 Thoughts Podcast.

“I do think that there were times that Rathbone considered asking for a trade but never did. But I’ve got to think now, I wouldn’t be surprised if that comes up. Just another chance in another organization.”

After 53 points in 61 NCAA games in two seasons at Harvard, Rathbone turned pro in 2020, signing a two-year, one-way $1.7 million contract just a year ago that guaranteed him an NHL salary of $850,00, even while playing in the AHL. In his first pro season with Abbotsford, Rathbone had 40 points in 39 games and appeared to be on a fast track to a spot on the Canucks NHL roster, but that has never really materialized. The 24-year-old, 5-foot-11, 190-pound rearguard had a goal and an assist in 11 games with Vancouver and then regressed in the AHL as he had just five goals and nine assists in 37 games.

The Boston Bruins are expected to have up to four left-shot defensemen on their NHL roster in Hampus Lindholm, Matt Grzelcyk, Derek Forbort, and Jakub Zboril, with potentially rookie Mason Lohrei entering the fray as well this season.

So, does bringing in another fringe defenseman on the left side make sense right now for the Bruins?

It could if Boston Bruins general manager Don Sweeney is able to clear cap space by trading Matt Grzelcyk or Forbort, as discussed here last week. If that happens, then maybe the Bruins do become a team interested in acquiring Rathbone.

Jimmy Murphy

https://bostonhockeynow.com/2023/10/03/boston-bruins-should-the-bruins-bring-jack-rathbone-home/

Forbort for Rathbone? 

Only way I see him making an NHL team is if someone has a solid backline of capable dmen but are lacking a pure offensive, pp qb that he could try and slot in at. Canucks have Hughes, no room for a second that is 1/5 the player. He had his chances, but now Irwan, Wolanan, Hirose are all ahead on LD, and McWard has come in and looks to have stolen a spot allowing both Soucy and Cole to play on the left when we expected one to pair with Hughes on the right. We also have D Petey on the left that will be the organizations hope for making it on the left. You have to think he isn't going to be in the plans anymore unless he really forces it by his play.

Hopefully Rathbone stays in Abbotsford and enjyoys playing with one of his best friends McDonough. The farm team should have another good year so these guys that are being sent down can help them have a strong season and hopefully a long playoff push too...which would be great for their development. 

4 minutes ago, Viking said:

Hopefully Rathbone stays in Abbotsford and enjyoys playing with one of his best friends McDonough. The farm team should have another good year so these guys that are being sent down can help them have a strong season and hopefully a long playoff push too...which would be great for their development. 

Sounds like Boner has his eyes set on the big league.