[Speculation] Canucks’ Rathbone may request trade

RWJC

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not much of an add though. Lysel looks like a bustaroo considering his higher round pick. If the cost is only Rathbone then that’s much like the Krapsoft cost. Because odds are Lysel will be playing in Europe anyway. 

I wouldn’t add too much myself (maybe an 4th round pick and/or another mid tier prospect) and it is possible that Lysell has more residual value now than he is actually worth.

He is a smaller, pure offence kind of player… so he needs to score 30+ goals a season.  High ceiling but also really low floor for the guy.

He is attractive to us as we transition away from the older Boeser, Garland, Beauvillier crowd on the wings over the next couple of years.

Defencemen just have higher value as it is a more premium position.  Rathbone doesn’t have to improve as much as Lysell to stick in the NHL just because there is less NHL calibre at his position.  

I had high hopes for this kid. He seemed kinda' invisible in the preseason. And as mentioned earlier, he seems to have not made any noticeable strides in recent NHL appearances. 

If indeed trade talks involve him, I'm guessing there wouldn't be much traction. Sadly including him as a sweetener to move some cap space seems the only way to move him. Otherwise a trade for a higher round draft is the only other scenario I can see. Maybe a Kravtov type trade at best, but even that's a stretch!

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Well Lysell got demoted and maybe there is a deal to repatriate Rathbone to Boston.

It would be a homecoming for both!  Lysell would get to come to West Sweden.

It would take an add on our part, but Lysell’s value has to be at its lowest at the moment.

To Boston:

Jack Rathbone 

Aidan McDonough 

To Vancouver:

Fabian Lysell

Ryan Mast 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

You know probably any other time up until a couple months ago. I would have agreed with this but I'm really thinking we need to hold on to McDonough.

Mast is a big RHD. Lysell is Swedish and would fit with our group. Not sold on McDonough. He’s a guy that needs to play in the top 6 to be effective. He’s not a 3rd liner. I think he’s too slow to be a top 6 guy. But who knows. 

I would really do a bigger trade and try and get Trent Frederic out of Boston. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mast is a big RHD. Lysell is Swedish and would fit with our group. Not sold on McDonough. He’s a guy that needs to play in the top 6 to be effective. He’s not a 3rd liner. I think he’s too slow to be a top 6 guy. But who knows. 

I would really do a bigger trade and try and get Trent Frederic out of Boston

Sign me up

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Boston:

Jack Rathbone 

Aidan McDonough 

To Vancouver:

Fabian Lysell

Ryan Mast 

I know literally nothing about Mast, but just seeing big RD… I am good with that trade.

A good chance no one on either side from that trade becomes a meaningful NHLer, but there is sufficient talent between them all to throw a Hail Mary and see if a different set of coaches can bring out potential.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

I know literally nothing about Mast, but just seeing big RD… I am good with that trade.

A good chance no one on either side from that trade becomes a meaningful NHLer, but there is sufficient talent between them all to throw a Hail Mary and see if a different set of coaches can bring out potential.

Lysell and Mast are both still only 20 years old. They can play in Abby for 2-3 years and develop. They could both be busts or they could both be NHL regulars. 

Rathbone is already 24. I don’t think there is much more room to grow there. He can’t play defence. McDonough is 24 next month. So he doesn’t have a lot of time to prove himself either. 

Rathbone and McDonough might appeal to Boston as they are both local boys and at 24 they could potentially crack the lineup a lot sooner. Maybe even this year. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

No offense to Jack but you were on waivers where any team could have had you for free. If by trade,  you mean the brass shops you overseas I guess but no one wanted you for free here so why would they now provide assets for you?

His value after clearing waivers would be higher than before paradoxically.

Teams don’t need to keep him on their NHL roster now, and can add the prospect into their organization without worrying about losing him.  That is a full year in the minors of development they have to turn him into a player.

They can also swap contracts in a trade rather than just picking up an extra player.  These end up being prospect for prospect type trades.

• Cheers 2

On 10/2/2023 at 9:05 PM, aGENT said:

He needs to go to a team that will have an opening for a sheltered, 2nd PP offensive D. He's never going to get those minutes here behind Hughes and Hronek.

I'm hopeful now that he's passed, we can move him for a Bjork, Pachal or Coghlan, rather than those teams lose those guys on waivers for nothing.

Coghlan would be a nice return.

• Cheers 1

I liked the Rathbone pick at the time, but I'm disappointed as to how he has developed. Not sure if it's the organization or if it's on him. Maybe both. Rathbone is very talented offensively, but substandard on defense. He's fallen down our depth chart on a team that is weaker on talented defensemen.

Edited by PureQuickness

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would really do a bigger trade and try and get Trent Frederic out of Boston. 

I agree, McDonough doesn't have the speed needed and his NHL calibre skill is his shot, not a lot more to this point.

• Cheers 1

On 10/3/2023 at 11:10 AM, Devron said:

Fun Fact: couple people suggested We could trade Hughes a couple years ago because we had Rathbone 🤪

let's be honest quite recently people were still saying "give him time, <something something> takes time to develop"

We have a way of overvaluing Canucks players  

• Cheers 1

We should have traded him like 2 years ago when he still had potential, now no one wants him. If he passed through waivers he's not getting us anything apart from another failed project.

Who knows, maybe in 3 years he'll prove us wrong and be the next Forsling but he just hasn't shown enough growth defensively and if anything his scoring has even dropped off.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We should have traded him like 2 years ago when he still had potential, now no one wants him. If he passed through waivers he's not getting us anything apart from another failed project.

Who knows, maybe in 3 years he'll prove us wrong and be the next Forsling but he just hasn't shown enough growth defensively and if anything his scoring has even dropped off.

Correct. When Quinn signed his extension, they should have dangled Rathbone...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We should have traded him like 2 years ago when he still had potential,

I think he had potential, but was still worthless. Near every team has players like this, and even if they didn't, they can pick one up easy on waivers. I've always thought he was overrated on these boards. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The ideal time to trade him was definitely early last offseason when he was fresh off his point per game rookie AHL season. That's almost definitely when his value was at an all-time high and with Hughes and OEL ahead of him on the left side at the time, both with term, he didn't make sense for the Canucks. Also at that time Pittsburgh was dangling John Marino...

Unfortunately now his stock is likely at an all-time low. By all accounts he's a great kid, but even if he succeeds down the road as a PP quarterback he isn't really a player that the Canucks have any need for.

Edited by Diamonds

12 hours ago, Rekker said:

I think he had potential, but was still worthless. Near every team has players like this, and even if they didn't, they can pick one up easy on waivers. I've always thought he was overrated on these boards. 

His value was to sweeten a trade instead of a late pick.  He never really had any standalone value.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

There are teams that’ll take Rathbone in a trade. He may not be the central piece in the trade, but he has enough projectable talent that teams will see worth.  

On 10/4/2023 at 11:22 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Lysell and Mast are both still only 20 years old. They can play in Abby for 2-3 years and develop. They could both be busts or they could both be NHL regulars. 

Rathbone is already 24. I don’t think there is much more room to grow there. He can’t play defence. McDonough is 24 next month. So he doesn’t have a lot of time to prove himself either. 

Rathbone and McDonough might appeal to Boston as they are both local boys and at 24 they could potentially crack the lineup a lot sooner. Maybe even this year. 

You could say the same thing about Hirose, who is also 24 and technically wasn't good enough to make the main team.  If you don't think McDonough and Rathbone will develop more, why are you sold on Hirose?

Age is different from experience, in my opinion.  A college grad is obviously going to have a shorter runway to work with,but they still deserve to have an opportunity to develop their game under the organization.  Andy Greene broke into the NHL after four years in college and one year in the AHL.  Eked out a 1000-game career.  Martin St. Louis had an extremely slow development path, spending four years in college and three years in the Flames system before gradually improving in Tampa.  Alex Burrows didn't do college but he also took an interesting development path.

We signed a bunch of grown-ass men as prospects last Spring.  But they are still prospects.  These aren't 4/5-year projects like Rathbone/Woo but they still deserve at least a year or two to find their game.