[Article] Canucks’ Joshua using wake-up call from Tocchet as learning experience

RWJC

4 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Oh the complacency is for sure real.

heres a not so distant example

Maxime Lappierre bulking up to 225 after the SCF loss

he worked out like a madman, put on a ton of strength but turns out it destroyed his stamina and quickness 

when Boeser bulked up after his back injury he was noticeably less quick

all im saying is dont judge the guy for not being in the right condition, its more complicated than just exercising

As others have stated, Tocchet was the coach at the end of the season last year, and had exit interviews with all the players, including Joshua. Expectations for next season were laid out then, and it was up to Joshua to meet them which he didn't. Simple. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

This is what stood out from the article to me:

Mikheyev was flying Monday and was one of the pace-setters in the conditioning skate that ended practice.

I'm excited about that.

When Mik comes in, Beau will drop to the 3rd line, Aman will drop to the 4th and Joshua will be out. Unless he can turn it around….if he does then Aman will be turfed. Never was a fan of Aman

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Expectations for next season were laid out then, and it was up to Joshua to meet them which he didn't. Simple

It's a putz move by Joshua. I can't imagine being so close to something like a full time job in the NHL, and then dropping the ball with your off season training. Not impressed and a bad reflection on his character.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As others have stated, Tocchet was the coach at the end of the season last year, and had exit interviews with all the players, including Joshua. Expectations for next season were laid out then, and it was up to Joshua to meet them which he didn't. Simple. 

It depends on how the expectations were laid out

If it was to improve strength, quickness and conditioning there comes the questions

how strong, how quick and for how long? What is enough?

the fact he didnt get cut tells me where he is at is good enough to repeat last year in Tocchets eyes, but he wanted more out of him. It seems RT sees more potential and is pushing to get it out of him

22 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Oh the complacency is for sure real.

heres a not so distant example

Maxime Lappierre bulking up to 225 after the SCF loss

he worked out like a madman, put on a ton of strength but turns out it destroyed his stamina and quickness 

when Boeser bulked up after his back injury he was noticeably less quick

all im saying is dont judge the guy for not being in the right condition, its more complicated than just exercising

By this example, it's assumed he has bulked up to be tougher. Which he failed at during pre-season, so I can't give the young man the benefit of the doubt unless I hear a valid excuse. I'd put him on waivers to the minors if it were me. Unfortunately, the Canucks so lack what Joshua is supposed to bring, they are forced to work with him. 

8 minutes ago, Rekker said:

It's a putz move by Joshua. I can't imagine being so close to something like a full time job in the NHL, and then dropping the ball with your off season training. Not impressed and a bad reflection on his character.

+1000 for use of the word, putz.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny said:

It depends on how the expectations were laid out

If it was to improve strength, quickness and conditioning there comes the questions

I'm thinking that they were laid out fairly clearly as Tocchet doesn't strike me as the ambiguous type. Most of the players have shown up to camp in proper condition, based on the fact that it hasn't been a talking point, aside from Joshua. However, that is merely my assumption based on the facts present. 

how strong, how quick and for how long? What is enough?

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

the fact he didnt get cut tells me where he is at is good enough to repeat last year in Tocchets eyes, but he wanted more out of him. It seems RT sees more potential and is pushing to get it out of him

I think part of the reason for him not being cut is that the Canucks lack the toughness factor that Joshua brings, so they may see the need to keep him up, and Tocchet did say that he's shown improvement. All of this will be a distant memory soon enough. 

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking that they were laid out fairly clearly as Tocchet doesn't strike me as the ambiguous type. Most of the players have shown up to camp in proper condition, based on the fact that it hasn't been a talking point, aside from Joshua. However, that is merely my assumption based on the facts present. 

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

I think part of the reason for him not being cut is that the Canucks lack the toughness factor that Joshua brings, so they may see the need to keep him up, and Tocchet did say that he's shown improvement. All of this will be a distant memory soon enough. 

Classic Michael

Im also wondering

i never saw a quote saying he was out of shape, just an inference/suggestion by the author

what I saw was closer to a comment on his engagement and willingness to battle, more of a mindset

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Classic Michael

Im also wondering

i never saw a quote saying he was out of shape, just an inference/suggestion by the author

From the article:

"The “other factors” the coach alluded to were largely about conditioning.

“He wasn’t in horrible shape, but he wasn’t in the shape that I felt he should be after four months,” Tocchet explained."

2 minutes ago, Johnny said:

what I saw was closer to a comment on his engagement and willingness to battle, more of a mindset

Tocchet said he earned the opportunity this week. The last game against the Oilers was a good one for Joshua.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Johnny said:

Classic Michael

Im also wondering

Yes.   There's conditioning and then there's effort. 

So his conditioning improved after being called out by RT??

The effort wasn't there. That's the bigger problem. That's the consistency comment.