[Waivers] October 3rd, 2023

59 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

well played.  

Just read up on their preseason, and it sounds like Jiricek has looked good with Provorov on the second pair. If he stays up, Bjork should be available.

Werenski Severson 
Provorov Jiricek

Bean Gudbrandson?

Boqvist Peeke?
Bjork

6'3" Swedish righty. Good prospect, getter done. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Huggy Bear said:

well played.  

Just read up on their preseason, and it sounds like Jiricek has looked good with Provorov on the second pair. If he stays up, Bjork should be available.

Werenski Severson 
Provorov Jiricek

Bean Gudbrandson?

Boqvist Peeke?
Bjork

Peeke could want out as well if he goes from big minutes to healthy scratch

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Either would be good stop gaps. Peeke's cap would take some acrobatics though.

If Jiricek makes the team, I can’t see them wanting $4-5M in depth defensemen (however, they were ravaged by injuries last season).

I’d never heard of Bjork before this season, so can’t say if he’d be an upgrade on our depth righties. 

14 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Could do Beau retained to match Peekes cap + picks and prospects

Yeah, something like that is what would be required... They don't really have use for Beau though either being the biggest hurdle.

They'd probably prefer pure futures.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Larsson?

Also a former 1st rounder described as a two way defender with “outstanding skating” and is a good passer.

Left side D but maybe would free up Cole?

Hughes Cole

Larsson Hronek

Soucy Myers

I constantly see these proposals of pairing Hughes with guys that really have no business being on a top pair. I would like us to go after a legitimate top 2 defenseman to play with him. I realize that would cost a lot in a trade but I think having Hughes, Hronek and another top pairing guy would be putting us in a contender position, especially with our offense and if TD gets back to his usual self.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

I constantly see these proposals of pairing Hughes with guys that really have no business being on a top pair. I would like us to go after a legitimate top 2 defenseman to play with him. I realize that would cost a lot in a trade but I think having Hughes, Hronek and another top pairing guy would be putting us in a contender position, especially with our offense and if TD gets back to his usual self.

That would be Hronek really, but I think we're better having a top 4 that matches with Hughes' style over paying more for a top pairing D that could clash. I agree it'll have to be more than any old player, but I'm thinking Methot when they paired him with Karlsson.

I mean, we'd all love Pronger and Neidermeyer in their prime, but that's not sustainable when you have up pay other players and ice other pairings.

Edited by elvis15

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, something like that is what would be required... They don't really have use for Beau though either being the biggest hurdle.

They'd probably prefer pure futures.

I believe they could retain another 50% of his cap and trade him for futures at a cap hit of 1.375 Million along with the future we give them.   

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Dang, another waivers post for today. I'll just repeat myself for consistencies sake. Sokolov is the only really interesting name here for me. But I don't think I'd claim him for this particular roster. Unless we really feel like Joshua isn't where he should be and we waive him instead. Bernard-Docker should probably be an easy claim too, but we are overloaded on LD so meh for me but I can see a few other teams rushing to claim him. Feels like he should be in the NHL.

image.thumb.jpeg.4429ef0debd2e7eef7de0ddf1b8b3d36.jpeg

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

That would be Hronek really, but I think we're better having a top 4 that matches with Hughes' style over paying more for a top pairing D that could clash. I agree it'll have to be more than any old player, but I'm thinking Methot when they paired him with Karlsson.

I mean, we'd all love Pronger and Neidermeyer in their prime, but that's not sustainable when you have up pay other players and ice other pairings.

I mean you have a point but then that makes our bottom four guys really weak. If we could somehow figure it out with the offense this team has right now and the goaltending we are expecting, I don't see why we aren't going deep in the playoffs with a legit top two defenseman.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well right now he's being penciled in to play with an undrafted, 22 year old, college FA with *checks notes* a whopping 5 NHL games of experience. We're looking for upgrades on that that don't break the bank and can be a stop gap while Willander develops. Baby steps.  

I'm sure if you asked most  Canuck fans, they'd LOVE for us to trade for a legit #2-#3 RD that has size, grit, decent puck moving ability, skating and a strong defensive game. Unfortunately, those guys don't grow on trees, and teams rarely trade them. One guy that fits that bill (Pesce) was recently taken off the trade market and is no longer available. I suppose we can try for him next summer if he makes it to UFA. You have any other suggestions to target?

Otherwise, until a better trade/UFA becomes available, with our lack of cap space and trade assets, we're likely looking at half measures and stop gaps to fill Hughes' partner slot. Thankfully he's good enough to carry a lesser partner, but yes, ideally we'd find someone better than just a warm body that he has to carry there. Someone who can play WITH and complement him, push him to even higher levels.

37 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I believe they could retain another 50% of his cap and trade him for futures at a cap hit of 1.375 Million along with the future we give them.   

Yup, just a harder sell...but by all means, send that memo in to Allvin!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well right now he's being penciled in to play with an undrafted, 22 year old, college FA with *checks notes* a whopping 5 NHL games of experience. We're looking for upgrades on that that don't break the bank and can be a stop gap while Willander develops. Baby steps.  

I'm sure if you asked most  Canuck fans, they'd LOVE for us to trade for a legit #2-#3 RD that has size, grit, decent puck moving ability, skating and a strong defensive game. Unfortunately, those guys don't grow on trees, and teams rarely trade them. One guy that fits that bill (Pesce) was recently taken off the trade market and is no longer available. I suppose we can try for him next summer if he makes it to UFA. You have any other suggestions to target?

Otherwise, until a better trade/UFA becomes available, with our lack of cap space and trade assets, we're likely looking at half measures and stop gaps to fill Hughes' partner slot. Thankfully he's good enough to carry a lesser partner, but yes, ideally we'd find someone better than just a warm body that he has to carry there. Someone who can play WITH and complement him, push him to even higher levels.

Well I wonder if Calgary implodes this year would Weegar come available? He is signed long term at a very decent cap considering the cap is going up significantly and he is just such a solid defenseman and doesn't get the credit he deserves. I think he would be a perfect top pairing defenseman but that's a big if whether he's available or not. And of course trading with Calgary. While we do have a history may or may not work. That being said, they've  done well in trades with us cough, Anderson cough. 

And while you are not wrong, I feel like we somehow have to move these dead weight overpaid wingers to free up a little bit of space. And if we could move Myers do we have the ability to find a trade partner with even a potentially overpaid top four right shot guy? 

Definitely everybody in the league is looking for this player. It just bugs me sometimes when we see some of these proposals put together and we've got bottom pairing defenseman at best playing with Hughes. I mean it just isn't fair.

Edited by Ryan Strome

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well I wonder if Calgary implodes this year would Weegar come available? He is signed long term at a very decent cap considering the cap is going up significantly and he is just such a solid defenseman and doesn't get the credit he deserves. I think he would be a perfect top pairing defenseman but that's a big if whether he's available or not. And of course trading with Calgary. While we do have a history may or may not work. That being said, they've  done well in trades with us cough, Anderson cough. 

And while you are not wrong, I feel like we somehow have to move these dead weight overpaid wingers to free up a little bit of space. And if we could move Myers do we have the ability to find a trade partner with even a potentially overpaid top four right shot guy? 

Definitely everybody in the league is looking for this player. It just bugs me sometimes when we see some of these proposals put together and we've got bottom pairing defenseman at best playing with Hughes. I mean it just isn't fair.

I'd prefer someone more defensively inclined than Weegar myself (nevermind the the availability and inter-divisional issues). But we could certainly do worse (and are! 🤣 ).

Beau and Myers are gone after this season at the latest anyway. Don't know if heard Rutherford's comment about being "almost out from a couple contracts we'd rather not have" (paraphrased), but it's pretty clear that the plan is to reallocate their cap (and Garland's?) to further upgrading the top 4 and adding some beef to our top 9. Unfortunately you can't fix everything, all at once. They've done pretty well of improving where they can though IMO.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd prefer someone more defensively inclined than Weegar myself (nevermind the the availability and inter-divisional issues). But we could certainly do worse (and are! 🤣 ).

Beau and Myers are gone after this season at the latest anyway. Don't know if heard Rutherford's comment about being "almost out from a couple contracts we'd rather not have" (paraphrased), but it's pretty clear that the plan is to reallocate their cap (and Garland's?) to further upgrading the top 4 and adding some beef to our top 9. Unfortunately you can't fix everything, all at once. They've done pretty well of improving where they can though IMO.

Yeah I hear what you're saying. It's just I don't know. I feel like we've got a star goaltender a high scoring offensive team if we could just sure up that back end. I actually think Weegar is very defensively inclined. I really like his play. Yeah, I guess I'm looking for one of the two hardest positions to fill without recognizing that it's what everybody else is looking for as well. I just hate the potential of not putting together a whole team with all the high scoring we have at the moment.

Edit as for Garland, I don't actually mind him at all. I know some people want him gone but I think for what he brings sure he might be a little overpaid but I don't know in the open market you would probably pay more

Edited by Ryan Strome

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah I hear what you're saying. It's just I don't know. I feel like we've got a star goaltender a high scoring offensive team if we could just sure up that back end. I actually think Weegar is very defensively inclined. I really like his play. Yeah, I guess I'm looking for one of the two hardest positions to fill without recognizing that it's what everybody else is looking for as well. I just hate the potential of not putting together a whole team with all the high scoring we have at the moment.

If we could trade Myers, Beau or Garland for Pesce right now, I have little doubt we would.

Management has already done far more than I thought was possible reshaping this D in a little over a year. They've added Hronek, Cole, Soucy, McWard, Hirose, Johansson, drafted D-Petey and Willander.... That's a LOT in basically one year. Once we can move off Myers, I have little doubt they're laser focused on a better Hughes partner.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If we could trade Myers, Beau or Garland for Pesce right now, I have little doubt we would.

Management has already done far more than I thought was possible reshaping this D in a little over a year. They've added Hronek, Cole, Soucy, McWard, Hirose, Johansson, drafted D-Petey and Willander.... That's a LOT in basically one year. Once we can move off Myers, I have little doubt they're laser focused on a better Hughes partner.

I saw a rumour today on twitter ( X ) of van sending garland, pods for pesce

i don’t think I’m ready to give up on pods yet tho 

Edited by CaptainQuin
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CaptainQuin said:

I saw a rumour today on twitter ( X ) of van sending garland, pods for pesce

i don’t think I’m ready to give up on pods yet tho 

If the sugar go dump Garland is Pods and in return we get Pesce then that’s a huge win for us. Garland has negative value.