[Proposals] Some trades ideas I'd like to see

Trade #1 is one I saw on Capfriendly proposed by a CBJ fan. Trades #2 and #3 are ideas of my own.

These are all targeted at increasing the size and grit of our lineup.

Trade #1

To VAN: Peeke + Roslovic ($1.8m retained)

To CBJ: Garland + 2025 2nd round pick

No cap change for either team. Peeke slides in as Hughes' new partner. Roslovic (6'1", 200 lb, who can play center and can PK) slides into 3RW, he has 1 year left and could be resigned for a reasonable deal if he fits our roster needs. CBJ do this to upgrade offense compared to what Roslovic provides and get some futures in return for Peeke, who is an extra RD on their roster. 

Trade #2

To VAN: Crouse

To ARI: Lekkerimaki + Beauvillier

Lek fits better with Arizona's age and Beau fills a roster slot in the interim (very little cap difference for either team). ARI can retain and trade Beau at TDL if they want to. VAN gets someone that can score and play top line minutes while beating the snot out of anyone that touches Petey. Crouse is signed for 4 more seasons at $4.3m.

Trade #3

To VAN: Sam Carrick

To ANA: McDonough

Again McD fits better with the Ducks age range and has potential as a goal scoring winger. Carrick is 31 and has only 1 year left on his contract. VAN gets a tough 4RW who can also fill in at 4C and can PK.

Opening Night Lineup:

Crouse Pettersson Kuzmenko

PDG Miller Boeser

Hoglander Suter Roslovic

Joshua Blueger Carrick

(Aman)

Hughes Peeke

Cole Hronek

Soucy Myers

(Wolanin McWard)

Demko (De Smith)

*Mikheyev returns as 2RW once ready, pushing PDG down the lineup, and Aman back to the minors

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd do 1 and 2.

For me, it's maybe to #1 and yes to #2.  I do like the longer term view in adding Peeke but it really depends on how we are shaping out the RHD moving forward (McWard - Hronek - Peeke would be a solid pair, but if Woo is good to go I could see him getting the 3RD spot to relieve Myers, and we may not need Peeke).  However, given his cap hit, he definitely would be a reasonable add (though 2nd for a spare RD is pricey).  If it's some of the 2nd's value + Garland for Roslovic then I would do it, since we could use an RH center.

Lekkerimaki sold at this point may be something we regret since he's off to a hot start, but if we're sold on McDonough as a sniper (no to #3 for my BTW), then trading the young Swede with Beauvillier for physicality makes sense.  I do like how Lawson is only 26 so he could be quite the impact player for years (hopefully Lekkerimaki doesn't become another Guenther).

• Cheers 2

I doubt Allvin trades one of his own first round picks.  I could see him trading Podkolzin and the 2024 1st for Crouse.  I'd do that deal and add Beauvillier  to match salaries.  They could flip Beau for a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline.  

I'd also trade Garland for Peeke.  Columbus has too many RHD so somebody has to go...

• Cheers 1

Peeke might not even have a spot on the opening night roster. Jiricek has been their best dman this preseason and Jake Bean is healthy.

Werenski Severson 

Provorov Jiricek

Bean Boqvist

Gudbranson/Peeke/Blankenburg (all RHD)

Even without Jiricek making the team there isn’t really any space for him. Plus with Severson inked long term and Boqvist & Jiricek both being young Peeke might not even have a spot long term. 

Garland would have been 3rd on their team in scoring last year despite having an off year playing on the 3rd like - I am sure they wouldn’t mind the extra firepower up front. They aren’t in cap trouble but things can change in a season. I think we have to retain salary to balance things off. 

To Vancouver 
Peeke

To Columbus

Conor Garland (40% retained)

mid-late pick/prospect/Aman/Joshua (if necessary)

Even with the hefty retention we still save 220k in cap which is nothing to Columbus but gives us a tiny bit more breathing room. I think with comparable salaries this trade is a win/win, if we have to toss in another mid-late pick, tier 2 prospect or 4th liner it’s still worth it. 

30 minutes ago, Canucklehead44 said:

Peeke might not even have a spot on the opening night roster. Jiricek has been their best dman this preseason and Jake Bean is healthy.

Werenski Severson 

Provorov Jiricek

Bean Boqvist

Gudbranson/Peeke/Blankenburg (all RHD)

Even without Jiricek making the team there isn’t really any space for him. Plus with Severson inked long term and Boqvist & Jiricek both being young Peeke might not even have a spot long term. 

Garland would have been 3rd on their team in scoring last year despite having an off year playing on the 3rd like - I am sure they wouldn’t mind the extra firepower up front. They aren’t in cap trouble but things can change in a season. I think we have to retain salary to balance things off. 

To Vancouver 
Peeke

To Columbus

Conor Garland (40% retained)

mid-late pick/prospect/Aman/Joshua (if necessary)

Even with the hefty retention we still save 220k in cap which is nothing to Columbus but gives us a tiny bit more breathing room. I think with comparable salaries this trade is a win/win, if we have to toss in another mid-late pick, tier 2 prospect or 4th liner it’s still worth it. 

Peeke is terrible though. He doesn’t make our club. Columbus would need to take all of Garland’s contract. Even then I don’t see Allvin putting down his ShamWow to pick up the phone on this one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

E4D2E792-F479-45F2-A9C3-B7153E460416.gif

If you're referring to one and three okay but trade two? Wow.

21 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'd do 1 and 2.

The only ones that wouldn't do trade two in my opinion is Arizona.

21 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

For me, it's maybe to #1 and yes to #2.  I do like the longer term view in adding Peeke but it really depends on how we are shaping out the RHD moving forward (McWard - Hronek - Peeke would be a solid pair, but if Woo is good to go I could see him getting the 3RD spot to relieve Myers, and we may not need Peeke).  However, given his cap hit, he definitely would be a reasonable add (though 2nd for a spare RD is pricey).  If it's some of the 2nd's value + Garland for Roslovic then I would do it, since we could use an RH center.

Lekkerimaki sold at this point may be something we regret since he's off to a hot start, but if we're sold on McDonough as a sniper (no to #3 for my BTW), then trading the young Swede with Beauvillier for physicality makes sense.  I do like how Lawson is only 26 so he could be quite the impact player for years (hopefully Lekkerimaki doesn't become another Guenther).

I can't see Arizona doing that.

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I doubt Allvin trades one of his own first round picks.  I could see him trading Podkolzin and the 2024 1st for Crouse.  I'd do that deal and add Beauvillier  to match salaries.  They could flip Beau for a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline.  

I'd also trade Garland for Peeke.  Columbus has too many RHD so somebody has to go...

Imo Arizona says no to both offers. As for Peeke I do like him, but he's not a top pairing defenseman. Hughes deserves better.

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

If you're referring to one and three okay but trade two? Wow.

The only ones that wouldn't do trade two in my opinion is Arizona.

I can't see Arizona doing that.

Imo Arizona says no to both offers. As for Peeke I do like him, but he's not a top pairing defenseman. Hughes deserves better.

In trade 2 we give up Lekkerimaki who will be the next Mike Bossey type scorer in the national League. It would be beyond stupid and insane and just downright Benning/Brod-like to trade away such a great young player. We have done some incredibly moronic things over the years but trade 2 (here) would challenge for the dumbest. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

In trade 2 we give up Lekkerimaki who will be the next Mike Bossey type scorer in the national League. It would be beyond stupid and insane and just downright Benning/Brod-like to trade away such a great young player. We have done some incredibly moronic things over the years but trade 2 (here) would challenge for the dumbest. 

Sorry I stopped reading at the bolded part. That being said, it would certainly be amazing if you were right.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Trades 1 and 3 make no sense for us and trade 2 makes no sense for Arizona:

image.png.8a3c7244c2e125d487c0bf5d9a100462.png

image.png.617200c0486a3c5417d79bbf83c879b0.png

The trades make sense to me.

Both players had down years which likely had a lot to do with their team's performance. 

Peeke is a defense-first RD (i.e. why his EV defense is ranked in the top 80% of all NHL Dmen). If his offense was also above-average then CBJ wouldn't trade him and he would command a contract in the $6m range. He is exactly the kind of player that we should be targeting. We don't need any more small puck moving Dmen.

For a 4th line gritty pest like Carrick at $850k, you wouldn't expect his offense to be above average. He plays a role which is defensive and grinding. His defense has always been very good until last season. I think he still has that in him, has just been playing on a bad team, plus he brings a lot more physicality than anyone else in our current lineup and is not afraid to fight. He also makes sense as a backup 4C who is a righty with a FO% of 49.3%. We don't have one of them.

• Like 1

Is Peeke injured, he's barely played in the preseason, think he played just the first game? The big dogs on D over there are getting massive minutes, surely he's on the way out. With Soucy possibly injured now's the time to go for him and they've got some cap space. Garland or Beau for Peeke makes so much sense right now for both teams.

On 10/4/2023 at 9:00 AM, Miss Korea said:

Trades 1 and 3 make no sense for us and trade 2 makes no sense for Arizona:

image.png.8a3c7244c2e125d487c0bf5d9a100462.png

image.png.617200c0486a3c5417d79bbf83c879b0.png

These J Fresh cards are worthless. % of what? %is a useless stat without sufficient information.

Peeke is a top 32 RHD in the NHL and thats probably an understatement. He's used in every defensive situation 8th in defensive zone starts while maintaining an average of only 4.27 high danger shot attempts against per 60 min which he probably blocked, is a top hitter in the league 188 last year yet he has a very positive PIM differential, 3rd in shot blocks. He's a bargain at 2.75m. 

4 hours ago, Hammertime said:

These J Fresh cards are worthless. % of what? %is a useless stat without sufficient information.

Peeke is a top 32 RHD in the NHL and thats probably an understatement. He's used in every defensive situation 8th in defensive zone starts while maintaining an average of only 4.27 high danger shot attempts against per 60 min which he probably blocked, is a top hitter in the league 188 last year yet he has a very positive PIM differential, 3rd in shot blocks. He's a bargain at 2.75m. 

Peeke is likely to start on the third pairing behind Severson and Gudbranson.  Boqvist and Blankenburg are nipping at his feet.  If he is really a top-tier RHD, why did Columbus acquire a real top RHD in Severson?  Why is Peeke the only one being mentioned in trade rumours and not the other guys?

5 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Supposed to be a % ranking of your contribution in that area compared to all NHL players in your position (either F, D or G), so a ranking of 81% means you are in the top 20% of the league in that stat area. This is equivalent to Peeke playing like a league-wide top-2 Dman in terms of EV defense - backs up everything you just said.

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Peeke is likely to start on the third pairing behind Severson and Gudbranson.  Boqvist and Blankenburg are nipping at his feet.  If he is really a top-tier RHD, why did Columbus acquire a real top RHD in Severson?  Why is Peeke the only one being mentioned in trade rumours and not the other guys?

He was 38th in total ice time played last year 34th the year before I'm not saying he's a top tier D he doesn't have the offensive numbers to be one but last I checked there are 64 top pairing D and he's playing in the 35 range in terms of total mins and top 10 in terms of defensive zone starts. These are stats that matter that you can actually apply your %age to with confidence and say he is better than 80% of the D in the league at EV defence because he's got the minutes to prove it. Bieksa is 50% in the faceoff dot it doesn't make him a good centerman or Brock Boeser elite in board battles just because he has a similar %age of success as guys who are actually elite in board battles. %age is a flawed stat without the numbers to back it up.  

Edited by Hammertime

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

He was 38th in total ice time played last year 34th the year before I'm not saying he's a top tier D he doesn't have the offensive numbers to be one but last I checked there are 64 top pairing D and he's playing in the 35 range in terms of total mins and top 10 in terms of defensive zone starts. These are stats that matter that you can actually apply your %age to with confidence and say he is better than 80% of the D in the league at EV defence because he's got the minutes to prove it. Bieksa is 50% in the faceoff dot it doesn't make him a good centerman or Brock Boeser elite in board battles just because he has a similar %age of success as guys who are actually elite in board battles. %age is a flawed stat without the numbers to back it up.  

So do you value the assessment of 81% EV Defence or do you not?  Why do you think those numbers are correct but the others are wrong?

31 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

So do you value the assessment of 81% EV Defence or do you not?  Why do you think those numbers are correct but the others are wrong?

I explained that in my post. if you're top 10 in hardest deployment and 38th in total mins played the %age is based on a huge sample so 81 holds it's salt. If your %age is only based on a small sample or a biased sample like saying Brock Boeser is equivalent to Boon Jenner in board battles when the math says that is only possible in the same number of attempts .5 or less board battles. then the stat is flawed. If you gave Boqvist/Gud Peekes minutes how do you think their numbers would look? So it's not really fair to use J Fresh stats to define the player when you consider very few other RHD league wide could have done better. 

Edited by Hammertime

On 10/4/2023 at 11:46 AM, BigTramFan said:

Trade #1 is one I saw on Capfriendly proposed by a CBJ fan. Trades #2 and #3 are ideas of my own.

These are all targeted at increasing the size and grit of our lineup.

Trade #1

To VAN: Peeke + Roslovic ($1.8m retained)

To CBJ: Garland + 2025 2nd round pick

No cap change for either team. Peeke slides in as Hughes' new partner. Roslovic (6'1", 200 lb, who can play center and can PK) slides into 3RW, he has 1 year left and could be resigned for a reasonable deal if he fits our roster needs. CBJ do this to upgrade offense compared to what Roslovic provides and get some futures in return for Peeke, who is an extra RD on their roster. 

Trade #2

To VAN: Crouse

To ARI: Lekkerimaki + Beauvillier

Lek fits better with Arizona's age and Beau fills a roster slot in the interim (very little cap difference for either team). ARI can retain and trade Beau at TDL if they want to. VAN gets someone that can score and play top line minutes while beating the snot out of anyone that touches Petey. Crouse is signed for 4 more seasons at $4.3m.

Trade #3

To VAN: Sam Carrick

To ANA: McDonough

Again McD fits better with the Ducks age range and has potential as a goal scoring winger. Carrick is 31 and has only 1 year left on his contract. VAN gets a tough 4RW who can also fill in at 4C and can PK.

Opening Night Lineup:

Crouse Pettersson Kuzmenko

PDG Miller Boeser

Hoglander Suter Roslovic

Joshua Blueger Carrick

(Aman)

Hughes Peeke

Cole Hronek

Soucy Myers

(Wolanin McWard)

Demko (De Smith)

*Mikheyev returns as 2RW once ready, pushing PDG down the lineup, and Aman back to the minors

I'd rather just roll with Ethan Bear when he comes back instead of trading for Peeke (who I was think is a bit overrated).  

I'd strongly consider your Trade idea #2 with Crouse but would AZ?  They could probably get better offers for Crouse.  

On 10/4/2023 at 9:41 PM, BigTramFan said:

The trades make sense to me.

Both players had down years which likely had a lot to do with their team's performance. 

Peeke is a defense-first RD (i.e. why his EV defense is ranked in the top 80% of all NHL Dmen). If his offense was also above-average then CBJ wouldn't trade him and he would command a contract in the $6m range. He is exactly the kind of player that we should be targeting. We don't need any more small puck moving Dmen.

For a 4th line gritty pest like Carrick at $850k, you wouldn't expect his offense to be above average. He plays a role which is defensive and grinding. His defense has always been very good until last season. I think he still has that in him, has just been playing on a bad team, plus he brings a lot more physicality than anyone else in our current lineup and is not afraid to fight. He also makes sense as a backup 4C who is a righty with a FO% of 49.3%. We don't have one of them.

Honest question. If Peeke is as good as you say why are we getting him for an unmovable contract and a 2nd?

Edited by Ryan Strome