[Waviers] October 4, 2023

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Wow, how someone like Bernard-Docker has fallen, that even a team like San Jose's blueline didn't pick him up yesterday.

For today I'd pick up Hagg, could always use some more size and sandpaper (he fought Tom Wilson before, and as recently as last season he was playing 15-16 minutes a night with Detroit; he could be some deterrence and a defensive option to offset mobile guys like Wolanin).

Something must be up for Hagg to be placed on waivers from the Ducks....they are paper thin on the left side D. 

Guessing one of their prospects is ready?  LaCombe? Mintyukov?

Edited by Huggy Bear

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Gawanke is a right-shot guy who has been very effective in the AHL, and even at the World Championships for Germany. That said, it’s concerning that he couldn’t make the Sharks, who are in desperate need of a RD who can move the puck.

I think Canucks will claim Cal Foote. He’s a step up on McWard/Juulsen, and his Dad is on the coaching staff. Seems like a logical fit.

The optics are going to be very bad. There's a reason why teams stay away from potential nepotism issues. Benning could've invited his nephew to play on his team too. That never happened.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

The optics are going to be very bad. There's a reason why teams stay away from potential nepotism issues. Benning could've invited his nephew to play on his team too. That never happened.

Third team he hasn’t been able to stick with. Just don’t think he has the skating ability. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Look at WD dressing Megna for no reason as an example.

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If anyone's still pining for Cal Foote we can grab him for free.. 

A better option woulda been Jacob Bernard Docker yesterday.  

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He could have signed with us though.

If they didn’t want him before I doubt they want him now.

Pass on all these players. Yesterdays group was better. I’d wait till the last crop of players get waived. These will be the players teams don’t wanna dump but were unable to trade.

Yes.  JBD aside noted.

But heah, if Wolanin and Mcward stay up with the Canucks. Which may happen?

Rathbone only has to share AHL PP time with Hirose this year.  Don't know how thats going to work out?  But Jack may return to his point a game AHL all star level play from 2 years ago back.  Get some confidence & improve on the other side of the puck. 

Rathbone needs a trade.  Even if he can outplay Wolanin & Hirose?  He's not even going to run a 2knd PP with Hronek around, OEL last year.  There just has not been a spot for him.  Many guys have formed NHL careers, perhaps on B teams, with less skill than Rathbone who has not seen a sniff.

3 hours ago, Jatt Sharabi said:

It has been previously stated that the canucks are not interested in Foote. With his dad as one of our coaches it would make things very awkward. 

Yup, we could have gone after him on free agency.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A better option woulda been Jacob Bernard Docker yesterday.  

there is a reason 31 teams passed on JBD. Kid is an absolute black hole when it comes to puck possession and puck skills. Yes, ideally we have a strong defensive player to play along side Quinn, like JBD is touted. But if every time he touches the puck it's going to actively hinder Hughes ability to move the puck up the ice, it's not worth it.

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

there is a reason 31 teams passed on JBD. Kid is an absolute black hole when it comes to puck possession and puck skills. Yes, ideally we have a strong defensive player to play along side Quinn, like JBD is touted. But if every time he touches the puck it's going to actively hinder Hughes ability to move the puck up the ice, it's not worth it.

"My job is just trying to get the puck to him as much as possible. A lot of times, he’s in the right position, so you just give [the puck] to him. He makes all the passes, he skates out of trouble..."

https://canucksarmy.com/news/he-helps-me-luke-schenn-table-quinn-hughes-cook

A younger version of Schenn would be the perfect fit. The problem is not only finding that player but fitting said player's salary under the Canucks cap.

*Captain Obvious retreats*

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Gawanke is a right-shot guy who has been very effective in the AHL, and even at the World Championships for Germany. That said, it’s concerning that he couldn’t make the Sharks, who are in desperate need of a RD who can move the puck.

I think Canucks will claim Cal Foote. He’s a step up on McWard/Juulsen, and his Dad is on the coaching staff. Seems like a logical fit.

I was looking into Gawanke because his numbers suggest he could be a decent RD at the NHL level. He just seemed to be getting lost in a numbers game in San Jose (as well as in Winnipeg).

With the Sharks, he apparently had a very "quiet" training camp. He also got leapfrogged by Ty Emberson who is a RD the Sharks claimed off waivers from the Rangers. That and the other player Gawanke was fighting for a spot with, Jacob MacDonald, who is an offensive defenseman that has put up big numbers in the AHL, made multiple AHL and ECHL All Star teams, and anchors the Sharks PP2 spot.

Gawanke is the kind of player I think the Canucks could take a flier on if they feel like they want Cole McWard to start games in the AHL. McWard doesn't need waivers and may need some seasoning in the AHL. It also puts a little less pressure on Juulsen or McWard being Hughes's D partner this season.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Pretty much puts that to bed.

Canucks will have to look elsewhere to bolster their right side of the defence.

I'd be surprised if we grab him

7 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

What's the problem with having Cal Foote? Are him and his dad not professionals? Whatever. I think at this point Cal is a slight upgrade on Woo. Which ain't saying much. 

It's probably more an optics thing, and it's just something the coaching staff would also have to navigate 

Not to say that it couldn't happen but they may consider it to be more trouble than it's worth

Could be awkward for both father and son, professionals or not they're still immediate family 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be surprised if we grab him

It's probably more an optics thing, and it's just something the coaching staff would also have to navigate 

Not to say that it couldn't happen but they may consider it to be more trouble than it's worth

Could be awkward for both father and son, professionals or not they're still immediate family 

I see no issues, there have been father son work relationships. I think our media being as shit as it is would make it a thing. But from where I sit, Adam Foote has been in the business longer than some of us have been a live. He's also an assistant coach or whatever. Maybe if he was head coach it'd be weird. I dunno, other than the media making it a big deal I don't think it'd be a big deal. But again, I don't think Cal moves the needle either way for us. If he did, they would claim him. Regardless of the situation with his dad on the team.