[Speculation] NHL expansion - Atlanta, Houston, Salt Lake City & Quebec City

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

15+ out of 32......So just under half of the league is stacked with talent. And the other half?

Dude, do you follow the league?  Even the lowly Canucks have a lot of good talent.  Teams that are expected to not be super good like Arizona and Columbus are oozing with young talent.  I am not opposed to your criticism of a 4 team expansion but to suggest the league is already "watered down" is objectively false.  I can't think of a time in the 20 years I have been a hockey fan where there was so much parity and competition.  Any one of those 15 teams could win the cup next year and I wouldn't be shocked one iota.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

A short-term fix. I will definitely help, but teams like Arizona need more than a band-aid. Need good ownership and good management.

Yeah, the success of both Seattle and especially Vegas I think has made the NHL very bullish on the idea of further expansion. I'm not so sure these other four markets will be as good, but, as much as I had to say it, the extremely generous expansion drafts do seem to be a way better way to start a franchise. Hurts us badly, but helps these teams not be complete garbage to start.

Houston and Atlanta feel like the two most obvious places left to expand, but it'll be hard to get a fanbase going there. Atlanta might have some remnants of the Thrashers fanbase though. I do think that the NHL thinks if they give these teams a good enough roster to start via the expansion, they have a much better chance of success as a franchise, and I think t hey're right.

Arizona needs a fresh start, the biggest problem in Arizona is they've never, ever been consistently competitive. It's always been a bit of a gong show outside of the odd few seasons. This is exactly what the NHL would be trying to avoid in Atlanta, they had the same issue while the Thrashers were there. I think an expansion process favouring expansion teams is more likely to get expansion organizations off on the right foot, even if it is at the expense of current NHL rosters. 

I think Houston would do better, Dallas already being established in Texas makes that one much easier. Salt Lake City is eh but we'll see. 

I do think the NHL wants to push and create new hockey fans where there aren't hockey fans, going back to Atlanta with a strong ownership group committed to actually icing a competitive product could do that. I think the Houston/Dallas thing sells itself. 

Quebec I'd welcome, at the very least it'd increase our odds of bringing a cup back to Canada. 

I'm sure there are many hockey fans across the league who aren't keen on expansion, I certainly am not, but I also recognize that money has and will repeatedly outweigh what fans want. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

How about Arizona moves to Houston.

Any team struggling in the East can go to Quebec City.

Problem solved.

No more expansion. It's going to make playoffs into a headache. Unless you are going to have only the 2 worst teams in each conference miss. Then it's 32 teams, 16, 8, 4, 2

Five rounds of the playoffs. Which the players union have to sign off on.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

37 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

Dude, do you follow the league?  Even the lowly Canucks have a lot of good talent.  Teams that are expected to not be super good like Arizona and Columbus are oozing with young talent.  I am not opposed to your criticism of a 4 team expansion but to suggest the league is already "watered down" is objectively false.  I can't think of a time in the 20 years I have been a hockey fan where there was so much parity and competition.  Any one of those 15 teams could win the cup next year and I wouldn't be shocked one iota.

I do. You may notice that a lot of the "lowly" teams have talent because they draft high due to not doing very well in the regular season. It may objectively false in your mind, but in actual reality, more teams doesn't increase competition it actually waters down the talent because more players are drafted and quantity doesn't equal quality just because they both begin with q.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about Arizona moves to Houston.

Any team struggling in the East can go to Quebec City.

Problem solved.

No more expansion. It's going to make playoffs into a headache. Unless you are going to have only the 2 worst teams in each conference miss. Then it's 32 teams, 16, 8, 4, 2

Five rounds of the playoffs. Which the players union have to sign off on.

But they aren't trying to solve a problem.  They are trying to take full advantage of billionaires lining up to buy expansion franchises.

As for the playoffs, I foresee 20 teams making the playoffs with a play-in round for the bottom 2 teams in each division.

The union would totally sign off on expansion as it means 92 more jobs at the NHL level and the same at the AHL level, plus additional revenue from new teams and expanded playoffs.

As much as I would like the NHL to leave things the way they are right now, I think expansion is inevitable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

It didn't work in Atlanta the first 2 times, why the hell would it work this time?

I'm beginning to think the league doesn't really care if a team is able to sustain themselves in Atlanta; perhaps it's just a means for money to get laundered through the league?  🤷‍♂️

• Cheers 1

Better effing make Vegas contribute to the expansion draft when it happens.

If this were to happen all at once, either the new teams get screwed, or the current teams do.  If the protection rules remain the same, those 3rd and 4th round picks will be pretty weak in comparison to Vegas/Kraken drafts.  Or if they change the protection rules to give the new teams their "money's worth", the existing teams get picked over even more harshly since not only do they lose 4 players but they would lose some better players.

And, if they spread it out, the current teams still lose a lot.

Ugh.  And the inevitability of it all just tastes awful.

I guess the upside of expansion is that there would be more money for mid-tier players, typically veterans, which they haven't been getting as much lately.  At least until GMs use that dilution of team cap to overpay stars and high end UFAs.

If they want parents to keep putting their kids into hockey, They're going to have to figure out how to raise star player salaries to compete with the other major sports. The U.S. TV deal wasn't close to what they expected, and Rogers already indicated The 5 billion deal for Canada didn't make profit for them. Have to grow the revenue somehow.

3 hours ago, Ghost In a Jar said:

Arizona needs to be relocated to one of those 4 markets then maybe add Portland to the list to make it 4 expansion teams.

I get it… but from a business aspect I’d imagine there’s pressure to make a market as big as phoenix is work. They’re something like the 11th largest market in the states. Likely the same reason they keep revisiting Atlanta and bringing up Houston… #6 and 7 respectively.