[Speculation] NHL expansion - Atlanta, Houston, Salt Lake City & Quebec City

If expansion is going to occur you can bet it will definitely be linear with the current TV rights contract expiring and new contracts being negotiated. So likely by 2028/29 at the latest we could have expansion. 

from June 16, 2022, Yahoo:

The NHL signed new seven-season television deals last year: Disney will pay the league $400 million annually in the U.S., while Turner Sports added $225 million per season. In comparison, the NHL concluded a 10-year contract with NBC that paid $2 billion, or $200 million a year, at the end of last season.

Edited by RWJC

In a recent episode of Insider Trading, Pierre LeBrun expressed confidence that the NHL will be expanding, sharing it’s a matter of when rather than if. The TSN panel shared four cities that could be up for a new NHL team: Houston, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, and Quebec City. LeBrun added, “It felt like [Bettman] was so close to saying it was just going to happen… he kept talking about the recurring conversations of interest he’s having with those four cities.” 

However, the TSN group also shared that before the league can worry about adding new teams, they’ll need to find clarity around the Arizona Coyotes arena situation. This certainly makes sense – the league needs to keep any relocation options open – but may also freeze any expansion talks for the short term. Bettman has recently expressed optimism in the Coyotes’ ability to find a new, more permanent home in the desert, although nothing is set in stone just yet. Arizona’s situation will be key to watch as the NHL considers where to add new franchises, and how many cities could be in line for expansion.

October 6th, 2023 at 9:57am CST • By Gabriel Foley

On 10/4/2023 at 12:04 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

They will charge a $1 billion expansion fee, so 4 teams equals $4 billion in revenue to the current owners.  You can pretty much book it that this will happen.  That's over $120 million per team...

It is absolutely all about the money.

Once the owners got a taste of that sweet, sweet expansion money… they want more.

It is excluded from HRR, so it all goes into their pockets.

I think more people should stop viewing the NHL as caretakers of the sport, and realize they don’t give a crap about fairness, hockey, or anything the fans care about.  They care about making the most money for owners as possible and increasing the value of an NHL team.

It makes them money for southern teams to win, Canadian teams are already going to sell out or be close to selling out.  Canadian TV deals are already going to be big.  Not much growth potential compared with teams who currently sell ticket and hot dog combos for $20 because they can’t drag people into the arenas.

• Cheers 1

On 10/4/2023 at 12:14 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

The teams that are bleeding money now will receive a cash injection of $120 million.  That should be able to carry them forward for awhile.  It's inevitable that more expansion will happen.  I doubt they would wait 10 years to collect that $4 billion in extra bonus money...

I think you are overvaluing the $120 million in this day and age. It's not even annual budget of an NHL team. It's really peanuts for someone like Aquillini in the large scheme of things.

12 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

I think you are overvaluing the $120 million in this day and age. It's not even annual budget of an NHL team. It's really peanuts for someone like Aquillini in the large scheme of things.

I didn't think I would ever live long enough to see the day where people are telling me that $120 million is pocket change...   😊

2 hours ago, Provost said:

It is absolutely all about the money.

Once the owners got a taste of that sweet, sweet expansion money… they want more.

It is excluded from HRR, so it all goes into their pockets.

I think more people should stop viewing the NHL as caretakers of the sport, and realize they don’t give a crap about fairness, hockey, or anything the fans care about.  They care about making the most money for owners as possible and increasing the value of an NHL team.

It makes them money for southern teams to win, Canadian teams are already going to sell out or be close to selling out.  Canadian TV deals are already going to be big.  Not much growth potential compared with teams who currently sell ticket and hot dog combos for $20 because they can’t drag people into the arenas.

So you're suggesting they're actively performing racketeering and displaying antitrust behaviour?  Colour me shocked!  🥱

Shocked, I tells ya!  😴

5 hours ago, RomanPer said:

That is pure nonsense… $120 million per owner isn’t peanuts to even the richest team in the NHL.

They have shut down the league repeatedly over less than that.

They are in the business of making money.  Getting a free extra year’s worth of revenue without any expenses is exactly what they want.

I hate this if it happens. I mean, aside from having too many teams to compete against for a cup (that's already hard enough to do), the fact that new teams get to pluck players from existing teams is an issue. Teams work hard to stay within a cap and balance their teams as best as possible over time and then some newcomer gets to assemble a team by hand "picking" a roster.

I just don't like it, screw off NHL.

On 10/6/2023 at 12:16 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So you're suggesting they're actively performing racketeering and displaying antitrust behaviour?  Colour me shocked!  🥱

Shocked, I tells ya!  😴

The major sports leagues are essentially legalized monopolies with mostly unofficial exemptions to antitrust laws.

I understand that ARZ in a big market but it just never has worked. Maybe just maybe now that they have a decent ownership group but they need an arena. If they cant move out of the ASU building within  5 years I would move them

Houston at the Toyota Center as a part of their renos are adding ice making components to the arena. 

Houston and Quebec City would be my 2 picks. Instant rivalry between interstate as well as another canadian team.

• 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ok, so the 1st time atlanta had a team, they moved to Calgary. 2nd time around, they moved to Winnipeg. If they put another team in atlanta, they'll end up in Quebec City.

4 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Ok, so the 1st time atlanta had a team, they moved to Calgary. 2nd time around, they moved to Winnipeg. If they put another team in atlanta, they'll end up in Quebec City.

Maybe, location of any arena is a big factor imo

I understand why the NHL wants Atlanta to succeed 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, location of any arena is a big factor imo

I understand why the NHL wants Atlanta to succeed 

I understand why they want it to work too. Is a huge TV market. But its failed twice already. If the NHL wants to turn a loss into a potential win, get the Coyotes out of that tiny arena and off to Salt Lake City.

57 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I understand why they want it to work too. Is a huge TV market. But its failed twice already. If the NHL wants to turn a loss into a potential win, get the Coyotes out of that tiny arena and off to Salt Lake City.

I think we see four new teams over the next 10-15 years, they may very well get one