[Speculation] NHL expansion - Atlanta, Houston, Salt Lake City & Quebec City

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Might have to restructure the teams north versus south to make it work better.

North versus south doesn't address the physical expanse between teams on the same "half".  At least east vs. west can sort of cover for that (particularly given the higher density of teams on the eastern seaboard).

edit - coming purely from a travel cost perspective

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

North versus south doesn't address the physical expanse between teams on the same "half".  At least east vs. west can sort of cover for that (particularly given the higher density of teams on the eastern seaboard).

edit - coming purely from a travel cost perspective

To me makes more sense as team will then travel closer to the same distance instead of us traveling more.

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

To me makes more sense as team will then travel closer to the same distance instead of us traveling more.

Since when has the league ever worried about that sort of parity?  Reducing costs for the east teams comes first, to maximize revenue sharing.

There will be a 2nd team in southern Ontario before Quebec ever gets a sniff. That will all it will ever be a sniff. The days of the NHL pandering to Canadian wish lists are long gone. New teams are at + $1 billion franchise fee and then add a facility. Viability is more about media sales than gate. Financial viability in both Quebec and the Maritimes is more than suspect. Within a couple of years they would have their hand out to the taxpayer. 

“I think that we are coming to the end of the line with this ownership group, I believe there isn’t something hard and fast in place in the very near future. They will begin the process of selling the team or the NHL taking over the team and selling it to someone else, I believe we will get there. I believe one of the reasons you hear the commissioner say nothing negative about them is he knows this could end up in a big legal fight and he doesn’t want to say or do anything that will end being used against him."

Edited by Coconuts

29 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Is Salt Lake going to keep the coyotes name or rebrand?

Good question. I don't like the ring of coyotes. Why not bring back the name of some of their minor league teams from the past and call them the Utah Grizzlies?

Nhl expansion 🤣

like the league isn’t watered down enough already? 
Imagine how good each club would be if there were only six?  Damn that old time league was special. This “new” nhl just is so watered down. Sad really for us fans. Too many players who really should be in the A. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Good question. I don't like the ring of coyotes. Why not bring back the name of some of their minor league teams from the past and call them the Utah Grizzlies?

They're getting a decent young team with currency(cap and Draft picks) to play around with

Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 6.54.07 PM.png

Edited by Iron Fist

10 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

They're getting a decent young team with currency(cap and Draft picks) to play around with

Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 6.54.07 PM.png

Ok. Can't argue that. But I think, if they do move to Salt Lake City, they should rebrand. But that's me.

• Cheers 2

The Coyotes brand is associated eith mediocrity and failure, why would someone pay hundreds of millions to not do their own thing?

I imagine new colors, a new name, and as fresh a start as possible would be in order. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I refuse to believe they will actually come to their senses until it is confirmed.  So many times the plug should have been pulled and the NHL spends a ton to give the repeatedly failed experiment another go.

Even if they had the land and approval to build an arena (which they don’t).  Actually getting one constructed is a 3-5 year process.  Playing in a college arena for that long and sucking revenue sharing money from the rest of the league just makes the NHL look bad.

As much as it is nice to have a team to beat up on and know isn’t real competition, having a plan to actually make it competitive is what needed to happen.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I refuse to believe they will actually come to their senses until it is confirmed.  So many times the plug should have been pulled and the NHL spends a ton to give the repeatedly failed experiment another go.

Even if they had the land and approval to build an arena (which they don’t).  Actually getting one constructed is a 3-5 year process.  Playing in a college arena for that long and sucking revenue sharing money from the rest of the league just makes the NHL look bad.

As much as it is nice to have a team to beat up on and know isn’t real competition, having a plan to actually make it competitive is what needed to happen.

I'm optimistic but not convinced, but yeah I agree 

• Upvote 1