[Speculation] NHL expansion - Atlanta, Houston, Salt Lake City & Quebec City

Cantonese style: the Utah Reborn Salted Fish (Utah 鹹魚翻生)

Explanation:

In Cantonese, a reborn salted fish (鹹魚翻生) represents a dead person (colloquially referred to as salted fish, or 鹹魚) somehow finding a way to live again or regain life (翻生).  Salted fish is used as the term because like a mummy or other preserved carcass of an animal, a salted fish is usually still whole, still in its same shape/form as when it was alive, but very much dead and unable to be reanimated - but yet in Cantonese, the term exists to explain or describe the impossible.  Very fitting to describe the joke team playing in Arizona at present.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

From the article:

Per Bloomberg, Fertitta is "open to helping bring in either an expansion franchise or acquiring a team from another market." The latter is especially notable, given the uncertainty surrounding the Arizona Coyotes, who are currently playing at Arizona State's Mullett Arena and have been rumored as a potential relocation candidate for Houston. Plans for a new arena for the franchise in Tempe, Arizona were rejected by voters last year.

4f0db3b7-967c-4d3a-8e10-4d60338d8548_tex

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd happily swap Arizona for Houston 

Yep, they already have a built-in rivalry with Dallas. Honestly I don't know why the Coyotes didn't move to Houston during the last sale in 2019.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with expansion is that at this point they would need to expand to four cities at once so they don't create uneven divisions. Being in a division of 9 will put you at a disadvantage compared to a division of 8 to make the playoffs. When the league had 30 teams you could make 6 even divisions of 5 and now at 32 teams we have 4 even divisions of 8. 34 is only divisible by 1, 2, 17, and 34 so the league would need 36 teams.

But one of the main problems with 4 expansion teams is that it would either result in four really weak teams or it would decimate existing teams. Protection would have to be limited to something like 3 forwards, 2 defensemen, and a goalie. In a Canucks example, we might lose one of Lindholm/Boeser plus Hoglander, Zadorov, and Soucy. I'm also just not sure if there's enough talent to support and additional 100 NHL players and it does start to dilute the league.

I would be much more in favor of relocating a couple teams, but really Arizona is the only prime candidate at the moment. San Jose is the only other team that's really struggling at the moment and that's mainly because their team is hot garbage (and also Winnipeg's attendance is suffering but that's a weird situation).

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Atlanta will happen, it's inevitable 

Bring it on then!  I'm sure Quebec City is patiently waiting for Atlanta to fail (again) for them to step in and white knight them, bringing a Nordiques team back to their city.  :hurhur:

Hopefully PHX and FLA are just relocated to SLC and ATL. 

It's not like the number of teams is suffocating opportunities for talented prospects.

If guys like Aman have NHL jobs, I don't feel like the talent needs to be thinned out.

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Atlanta has failed as an NHL team twice (once as the Flames and then again as the Thrashers). Why would the NHL waste it's time again? Oh right, because they never learn.

The same reason they did the past two times, it's one of the larger untapped markets

There's money to be made, you know the NHL will do it's damndest to make sure they're competitive off the hop this time too

Arizona moving seems inevitable, Florida less so after the past few years, they finally have a winning product to draw people

• Wiener 1

35 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Bring it on then!  I'm sure Quebec City is patiently waiting for Atlanta to fail (again) for them to step in and white knight them, bringing a Nordiques team back to their city.  :hurhur:

Quebec may get a team eventually but I see Houston, Atlanta, and Salt Lake City getting teams first

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

The same reason they did the past two times, it's one of the larger untapped markets

There's money to be made, you know the NHL will do it's damndest to make sure they're competitive off the hop this time too

Arizona moving seems inevitable, Florida less so after the past few years, they finally have a winning product to draw people

It’s been tapped twice and they walked away both times. 

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It’s been tapped twice and they walked away both times. 

Maybe, but it's roughly the 7th largest TV market in the US if I'm not mistaken 

Money's the draw