[Speculation] NHL expansion - Atlanta, Houston, Salt Lake City & Quebec City

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

One of the things they’ve been talking about is moving the Coyotes to Utah, and then as part of the sale Alex Meruelo will be given rights as the next owner of a future Arizona franchise, whenever that would come. I absolutely believe that’s on the table.

Homer Simpson End GIF - Homer Simpson End Near - Discover & Share GIFs |  The simpsons, Homer simpson, Homer

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I know we joke about the team not having fans, but I will feel bad for longsuffering Coyotes fans if they do move the franchise 

I mean it’s been a long time coming to finally have a conclusion. Many thought after the Tempe proposal fell through that it was done but they had another life for a few years. This team has been dreadful in this market for 28 years. And even after all of this Alex Meruelo will have first dibs for the next expansion team for Arizona in what sounds like down the road in 5-6 years. Gary doesn’t want his dream in the dessert to die (much like his love for Atlanta) and it’s crazy to think that there is a stomach for either market again after it’s clear that hockey is not a high priority for the market but it’s a high priority for the NHL🙄

Meruelo will sell the team to the NHL for $1B and then the NHL will sell it to Ryan & Ashley Smith for $1.3B where each board of governors will receive $300,000,000. 

Case closed old Jets and now soon to be old Yotes. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

51 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I mean it’s been a long time coming to finally have a conclusion. Many thought after the Tempe proposal fell through that it was done but they had another life for a few years. This team has been dreadful in this market for 28 years. And even after all of this Alex Meruelo will have first dibs for the next expansion team for Arizona in what sounds like down the road in 5-6 years. Gary doesn’t want his dream in the dessert to die (much like his love for Atlanta) and it’s crazy to think that there is a stomach for either market again after it’s clear that hockey is not a high priority for the market but it’s a high priority for the NHL🙄

Meruelo will sell the team to the NHL for $1B and then the NHL will sell it to Ryan & Ashley Smith for $1.3B where each board of governors will receive $300,000,000. 

Case closed old Jets and now soon to be old Yotes. 

I get it and I don't disagree, but I can't imagine losing a team

Even if they get one back it's not gonna feature their bushel of picks, prospect pool, or players though, they're losing the rewards for suffering through losing seasons as well 

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I get it and I don't disagree, but I can't imagine losing a team

Even if they get one back it's not gonna feature their bushel of picks, prospect pool, or players though, they're losing the rewards for suffering through losing seasons as well 

Absolutely it’s tough for any fanbase to lose a franchise in their market. Heck we lost our NBA team that was only here for 6 years and it still hurts to this day for some. 

I will say that the NHL put in the best effort to keep the Yotes in Zona for 24 years even when we all saw the writing on the wall. Doesn’t make the fans feel any better. But at least they know that the league has done everything and more then it could do to keep them there, especially with the sub standards of playing in that 4000 seat arena in the meantime. Can’t say Bettman gave that sort of effort for the Nordiques and Jets. But we know what his priorities are.

Edited by EP Phone Home

4 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Absolutely it’s tough for any fanbase to lose a franchise in their market. Heck we lost our NBA team that was only here for 6 years and it still hurts to this day for some. 

I will say that the NHL put in the best effort to keep the Yotes in Zona for 24 years even when we all saw the writing on the wall. Doesn’t make the fans feel any better. But at least they know that the league has done everything and more then it could do to keep them there, especially with the sub standards of playing in that 4000 seat arena in the meantime. Can’t say Bettman gave that sort of effort for the Nordiques and Jets. But we know what his priorities are.

They got much more than a fair shake, no doubt about it

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They got much more than a fair shake, no doubt about it

Not the fans. The owners absolutely.

Feel for the fans, going to Glendale in 2004 was the beginning of the end & in the 20 years since its been unstable ownership group after unstable ownership group. Not much to cheer for on the ice for a very long time, franchise took on a tarnished reputation/became a laughing stock, exc. Just low after low for the fans, and no real hope the entire time. Brutal.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Not the fans. The owners absolutely.

Feel for the fans, going to Glendale in 2004 was the beginning of the end & in the 20 years since its been unstable ownership group after unstable ownership group. Not much to cheer for on the ice for a very long time, franchise took on a tarnished reputation/became a laughing stock, exc. Just low after low for the fans, and no real hope the entire time. Brutal.

I thought that the 2012 playoffs (western conference finals) was the highlight of that bleak period. But you’re right there wasn’t very many good memories to look back on. And not one year that the team got a 1OA pick from either. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I thought that the 2012 playoffs (western conference finals) was the highlight of that bleak period. But you’re right there wasn’t very many good memories to look back on. And not one year that the team got a 1OA pick from either. 

Yup the 2012 playoffs were great, they had a good stretch with that team of making the playoffs consistently then it fell apart.

Looking at the drafting too & some of the guys that went right after them...

2013 Domi over Morrissey

2014 Perlini over Larkin

2015 Strome over Marner

2018 Hayton over Hughes

2019 Soderstrom over Boldy/Caufield

2020 they trade their pick to NJ for Hall & it becomes Dawson Mercer

2021 they are made to forfit their pick.

Atleast they got Keller right in '16 but man, most of those guys are franchise cornerstones & they missed on them year after year nvm the lottery. 

• Upvote 1

I'm so sick of the raging hard on that Bettman and the league have for Arizona and Atlanta. Hell, the mayor of Scottsdale pretty much told them don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out. If that dosen't tell you hockey won't work in that market, NOTHING will.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I'm so sick of the raging hard on that Bettman and the league have for Arizona and Atlanta. Hell, the mayor of Scottsdale pretty much told them don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out. If that dosen't tell you hockey won't work in that market, NOTHING will.

sure but what does scottsdale have to do with this? they have nothing to do with this team at all

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

sure but what does scottsdale have to do with this? they have nothing to do with this team at all

Apparently the Yotes group was looking at property there for a new rink. Scotts mayor said don't bother, not enough water here for a new arena. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Apparently the Yotes group was looking at property there for a new rink. Scotts mayor said don't bother, not enough water here for a new arena. 

sure but it's not in their jurisdiction it would be phoenix not scottsdale

28 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

sure but it's not in their jurisdiction it would be phoenix not scottsdale

Just get the fuck out of there. It hasn't worked since day one. 

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I get that some folks are skeptical of Seravalli but there's been a lot of smoke around this, Friedman has spoken about it previously as well 

Quick someone check if Bettman is ok 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

I hope it happens. I hope he loses the land bid, and has no alternative. They can barely afford to pay the players, let alone have the $ to build a new rink at the same time.

He's gonna lose on purpose.  Ain't nobody spending 3 billion for a place that doesn't have water.

14 hours ago, Coconuts said:

One of the things they’ve been talking about is moving the Coyotes to Utah, and then as part of the sale Alex Meruelo will be given rights as the next owner of a future Arizona franchise, whenever that would come. I absolutely believe that’s on the table.

He's not gonna use the right on Arizona. He bought the team for 300 million(65-70 cash)he's selling for a billion. He's gunna have so much cash he can do anything anywhere.  There's development friendly states that'll roll out the red carpet for that kind of investment and make sure it's profitable.

Edited by Iron Fist