[Article] University of Michigan hockey player removed from team for vandalizing Jewish Resource Center

University of Michigan hockey player removed from team for vandalizing Jewish Resource Center

image.jpeg.4e46cfdae3f37023ccb18b5d5c5755db.jpeg

Just over a week after the University of Michigan men's ice hockey team removed defenseman Johnny Druskinis from its roster for "violating team rules," the sophomore was linked to vandalism that occurred at the university’s Jewish Resource Center in late August.

On Wednesday, The Michigan Daily reported that Druskinis was the male suspect involved in the defacing of the center. Earlier in the day, the Ann Arbor Police Department released photo evidence of the homophobic slur and an image of male genitalia that was spray-painted on the property’s sidewalk. The police department — which posted surveillance footage of the incident on Aug. 25 — stated that a male suspect, now known to be Druskinis, was the one who spray-painted the offensive content.

The female suspect, who allegedly spray-painted her initials beside the offensive content, is a member of the Michigan women’s lacrosse team, according to The Michigan Daily.

The incident was originally brought to light by StopAntisemitism— a non-profit that stands against antisemitism — which alleged in a since-deleted post on X that Druskinis had been dismissed from the hockey team for spray-painting a swastika on the center's property.

The Michigan Daily reported that Druskinis and the other suspect apologized to a large crowd of participants at a Shabbat dinner held at the center last month. The center has chosen not to press charges.

Druskinis, 21, recorded two points in eight games with the Wolverines last year. Before his NCAA days, Druskinis played in the USHL with the Tri-City Storm and was a teammate of Mitchell Miller, who the Arizona Coyotes drafted in the fourth round back in 2020 before renouncing the pick shortly after his severe and racially motivated bullying of an African-American classmate was revealed.

Jacob Stoller

Wed, October 4, 2023 at 6:21 PM PDT

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/university-of-michigan-hockey-player-removed-from-team-for-vandalizing-jewish-resource-center-012109008.html

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1

What an absolute embarassment, but I think they realized the errors of their ways too (or they were advised that they had royally fucked up). Not sure what to penalize the guy. Young guy who made a stupid ass decision, most likely under the influence of alcohol, but that doesn't excuse him of taking responsibility. Rather than cancelling him, which wouldn't do much except punish the guy, which he does deserve, I'd like to see that this guy do some volunteer work where he learns about the significance of the culture that he vandalized. Maybe he can gain a better perspective in life that can help other misguided people out in the future, which develops character.

An apology is just simply not enough. He needs to do more.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

University of Michigan hockey player removed from team for vandalizing Jewish Resource Center

Druskinis, 21, recorded two points in eight games with the Wolverines last year. Before his NCAA days, Druskinis played in the USHL with the Tri-City Storm and was a teammate of Mitchell Miller, who the Arizona Coyotes drafted in the fourth round back in 2020 before renouncing the pick shortly after his severe and racially motivated bullying of an African-American classmate was revealed.

LOL, Jesus.  

But yeah - this kid deserves the severest punishment possible and I support whatever decision is made.  

I think the Jewish Resource Center is making a mistake by not pressing charges but maybe that's not for me to say.  

• Cheers 4

Society needs to stop forgiving bigots without demanding appropriate restitution and/or punishment first. Some people are capable of self-reflection and change, but I feel most just go back to the echo chamber that is social media and cry about how they're the victim. 

• Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

LOL, Jesus.  

But yeah - this kid deserves the severest punishment possible and I support whatever decision is made.  

I think the Jewish Resource Center is making a mistake by not pressing charges but maybe that's not for me to say.  

Should he be executed?

8 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Should he be executed?

If it was up to me, he'd receive some kind of severe corporal punishment for his actions, but not execution in this case.  

He should have the living shit kicked out of him, no question......by police officers of a Jewish background.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Cheers 2

Good to see this being taken seriously.

I think things are legitimately starting to change in hockey - this, Babcock, Constantine all in a very short time.

I know progress is never enough for some of the activists but in another time there's no way Babcock or Constantine face consequences (nvm them coming rather swiftly).

The Hockey Canada investigation does loom large, there needs to be a public resolution to that & not just be swept under the rug. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

If it was up to me, he'd receive some kind of severe corporal punishment for his actions, but not execution in this case.  

He should have the living shit kicked out of him, no question......by police officers of a Jewish background.  

No. Violence only begets more violence. Better to require him to serve 250 hours of service working for a Jewish operated charitable organization. The idea is to change hearts and minds, not cause further hatred. But that is just my opinion as I am a believer in restorative justice.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Cheers 1

On 10/4/2023 at 11:29 PM, Jeremy Hronek said:

Should the female student involved also be physically beaten?

15 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Should the female student involved also be physically beaten?

Yes. She committed a heinous hate crime against the people of Jewish faith.  She absolutely deserves to have the living shit kicked out of her (by female police officers).  The only way leniency should be shown in this case, is if the Jewish community, in their entirety, caused deliberate harm and suffering to this woman (and her piece of shit male accomplice).  Obviously, this did not happen and so I stand by comments.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

16 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

No. Violence only begets more violence. Better to require him to serve 250 hours of service working for a Jewish operated charitable organization. The idea is to change hearts and minds, not cause further hatred. But that is just my opinion as I am a believer in restorative justice.

I understand your point of view, but believe that following the above policy still wouldn't deter other criminals and delinquents from repeating similar behaviour in the future.

So in this example, let's say that there's a 50/50 chance that the shithead in question realizes the error of his ways.  

What's stopping another man in an entirely different part of the country/continent from doing something similar?   After all, the penalty, though harsh (i.e. school expulsion + community service) still won't install fear and respect amongst the people to the point where they TRULY respect the laws, the police, and their fellow man.  

The degradation and decline of Vancouver right now is a direct result of lax penalties and laws and quite Franky, I'm tired of it.  I've been tired of it since the 2011 cup riots where those two shitheads from Australia started making out on the streets.  Things gotta change. Fast.  

4 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

The degradation and decline of Vancouver right now is a direct result of lax penalties and laws and quite Franky, I'm tired of it.  I've been tired of it since the 2011 cup riots where those two shitheads from Australia started making out on the streets.  Things gotta change. Fast.  

Your biggest complaint about the riot was two people who were causing zero harm to other people or property?  Really?

• Cheers 1