[Signing] Juolevi signs with Timrå

40 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Jake Virtanen says hello.

At least OJ can always use the excuse of injuries (actual physical real injuries) of hampering his development.

Jake?  His issue was between his ears.

They both were fails. But with OJ, the dmen drafted after him, hurts. Insert any of them into the lineup and it's much better. 

• Like 3

OJ seemed like a good two way defenceman at the time but I guess you never know. The Virtanen pick and OJ pick really devastated this team. I know there are people who say "if we had drafted Nylander and McAvoy/Sergachev/Tkachuk then we would never have drafted Petey and Hughes" but I don't know about that - we were still a dreadful team and those guys weren't super impactful in their rookie years. 

Obviously it's the "what if" game but best case scenario for the team would have been snagging Nylander, Petey, McAvoy and Hughes. That's an unreal core to build around, a bit like what NJD have going for them. 2/4 isn't great, and sure, a lot of teams make mistakes and busts with first rounders but I remember looking back at all the top 10 busts of the last decade or so and most of them are Canucks.

More than busts, my bigger issue is the player picked directly after our picks. You just know the other teams were laughing when we missed on them. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Jake Virtanen says hello.

At least OJ can always use the excuse of injuries (actual physical real injuries) of hampering his development.

Jake?  His issue was between his ears.

You obviously haven't been paying attention to Jake's amazing play in the Deutsche Eishockey League.😉

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Firing him at least gives the hope of having a management team that has the ability to surround core players with the correct complimentary players instead of wasting years you have cost control over them.

Firing him? Sure. Fixing him? Not a fucking chance. 

• Haha 1

Man....people need to go back and look at 2008 through 2018 and see what happened to all those top 10 picks.  A significant number of them didn't do anything or never lived up to their draft status.

If we drafted players in the top 10 that never became more than 3rd or 4th line players or 5-6 defencemen this fan base would be screaming just as loudly

Bogosian 3rd?

Filatov 6th OA?

L Schenn 5th?

Scott Glennie 8th

Jared Cowen 9th

Gudbranson 3rd

Connolly 6th

Burmistrov 8th

MacIlrath 10th

Larsson 4th

Yakupov 1

Murray 2

Galchenyuk 3

Reinhardt 4

Pouliot 8

Koekkoek 10

(^^^ That's all 2012)

Drouin 3rd

Jones 4th

Dal Colle 5th

Virtanen 6th

Fleury 7th

Ritchie 10th

Puljujarvi 4

Juolevi 5

Nylander 8

Patrick 2

Glass 6

Andersson 7

Middlestadt 8

Hayton 5

Zadina 6

Kravstov 9

Like....these are all essentially busts based on their draft positions vs the careers they've had up until this point.  We flamed out on 2 in hort order and that sucks but when you look at that decade and who was drafting where and for how long it could have been so much worse.

All that aside, good luck OJ.  Hope you figure it out over there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1