[Signing] Juolevi signs with Timrå

3 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Neither can they afford to give up on players too soon. McCann would look great in our top 6 now.

I think McCann was rushed. But, he also took 4 teams to find his way....I don't know if we would have ended up the player he his now had we kept him. Same issue with Forsling.  Alot of people bring these players up, but 4 teams each gave up on them...that being said, we definitely missed with Juolevi and Virtanen (very high picks that failed miserably and didn't even end up being NHL players)...For a man who hung his hat on being a drafting savant, he really didn't do very well...Quinn fell to us, the only steals he made were Petey and Demko (and even Demko was rated top 2 goalies)....I guess we have to give him credit for taking Demko over Nedelkovic....

P.S

Pastrnak went the Pick right after McCann....One has to wonder if Benning promised not to use the Bruin's list (as he would have known it), in order to get their blessing to be the Canucks GM (that was his first year).....

Edited by BlockerHigh

2 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

Pastrnak went the Pick right after McCann....One has to wonder if Benning promised not to use the Bruin's list (as he would have known it), in order to get their blessing to be the Canucks GM (that was his first year).....

Sometimes there are agreements to not be involved in picks for the first couple rounds, but he wouldn't handcuff the team by excluding players the Bruins wanted while still being involved otherwise. If he had to do that, he would have let the existing staff pick without his influence to avoid issues.

7 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Well in all fairness…. The picks from 2005-2012 set the franchise back.

2005 - Bourdon RIP

2006 - Grabner

2007 - White

2008 - Hodgson

2009 - Schroeder

2010 - None

2011 - Jensen

2012 - Gaunce

OJ just amplified the real issue at hand. Any pick that didnt work out was so much more devastating because of the lack of NHL quality talent in our system. Had we landed some talent between those years, OJ wouldnt have been as devastating.

This is currently where Boston and Pittsburgh are headed, just off the top of my head. No real talent in their system, aged out and declining core. Its going to be a long miserable road ahead for them in a few years…. Holding onto hope the vets will get the job done forever…

05-08 was actually not the worst. Bourdon was a tragedy obviously, White got us Erhoff, Hodgson was a really good player the relationship with team just took a real bad turn. Outside of that there was a good chunk of ‘meh’. 

5 hours ago, WSAcanuck said:

Petterssen and Hughes were absolute no brainer sat their draft position. Demko came out of Brackett’s area of scouting expertise iirc.

Hughes yeah, Petey not so much. 

Edited by Dizzle

1 hour ago, Dizzle said:

05-08 was actually not the worst. Bourdon was a tragedy obviously, White got us Erhoff, Hodgson was a really good player the relationship with team just took a real bad turn. Outside of that there was a good chunk of ‘meh’. 

Erhoff went for a 4th… so White got us nothing essentially.

Hodgson became Kassian….

even with acquiring Erhoff, it still impacted the future quite heavily. We basically set fire to a 1st round pick, lost him for nothing…gained a 4th

Edited by AnthonyG

14 hours ago, Rekker said:

They both were fails. But with OJ, the dmen drafted after him, hurts. Insert any of them into the lineup and it's much better. 

I find the WJC way overrates players. Take that out of the equation and Chychrun is a Canuck, and we never make the OEL trade 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I wanted Sergachev but was happy with Juolevi at the time as a second option. Shame he never figured it out as he is a piece we needed.

I was hoping for Pierre Luc Dubois at the time and was surprised that he went ahead of Tkachuk.  

Looking back on it now, I'm wondering if Matt Tkachuk had mentioned during the interviews that he didn't see himself staying in Canada for his entire career.  If MT had made it known at that time, perhaps this is what dissuaded Benning from selecting him?  

Given that we have Quinn Hughes, can you imagine where this team would be at had we drafted McAvoy?   That would have been your Keith-Seabrook pairing right there.  

1 hour ago, Dizzle said:

Hughes yeah, Petey not so much. 

also a massive difference between a late first and a top 10. Players missed in the next 5 picks:

2005 - Kopitar, Staal

2006 - Grabner was the best pick 

2007 - David Perron, Brendan Smith

2008 - Tyler Myers, Erik Karlsson (5 spots down)

2009 - Marcus Johansson, Kyle Palmieri

2011 - Rickard Rackell

2012 - Brady Skjei, Tanner Pearson

2013 -Horvat best pick

2014 - Nylander, Ehlers, Pastrnak

2015 - Konecny

2016 - Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev 

Kopitar was a huge miss. 2008 I think Hodgson was 100% the right pick at the time and was a decent player but had the back injury (Karlsson would have been way off the board at 10). Rackell would have been nice but the other missed picks not really needle movers. Nylander, Ehlers and Pastrnak huge misses but 2016 was by far the worst. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Timra is so fucked. 

Think about it for a second.

Peteys brother is one of Timrås best players.

If Juolevi didn’t get some positive critic from Petey he wouldn’t get a contract with them.

They take a gamble off course but Petey has said something positive about him for sure.

17 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Jake Virtanen says hello.

At least OJ can always use the excuse of injuries (actual physical real injuries) of hampering his development.

Jake?  His issue was between his ears.

lol virtanen doesn't even come close considering what we passed up on just to grab a defenceman.. Tkachuk like him or hate him.. is top 7 players in the NHL right now..

mcdavid crosby draistal makar mackinnon u can argue he's right behind them.. he plays hard he plays rough he plays before and after the whistle a complete ahole to play against.. OJ even if he made the NHL we passed up on a top 10 player lol.

9 hours ago, WSAcanuck said:

Petterssen and Hughes were absolute no brainer sat their draft position. Demko came out of Brackett’s area of scouting expertise iirc.

Neither Pettersson or Hughes were no Brainerd. Most people had us picking Glass or Vilardi, and Bouchard, Dobson, or Zadina. 

20 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

Neither Pettersson or Hughes were no Brainerd. Most people had us picking Glass or Vilardi, and Bouchard, Dobson, or Zadina. 

Pretty much no insiders or mock drafts thought Hughes was getting past Detroit. While I still wanted Dobson over Hughes, most wanted Hughes and he was considered BPA. Pettersson was definitely far from a given though.

12 hours ago, AK-19 said:

.....that is depressing. Not a single hit with first rounders in an 8 year period.

Not really even a single hit period, in an 8 year span… and people wonder why we sucked under Benning and why it took “so long”.. hmm gee idk, maybe because he had to rebuild an entire organization from below ground zero!? Hardly any NHL talented youth and nothing in the pipeline. Lmao people thinking Benning was brought in to “win” makes me laugh.

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

He will do much better in a Euro league. Slower game. Less contact. Bigger ice. His lack of processing, skating, and compete will not be so prevalent there. 

his lack of playing hockey well, in other words. 

14 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Well in all fairness…. The picks from 2005-2012 set the franchise back.

2005 - Bourdon RIP

2006 - Grabner

2007 - White

2008 - Hodgson

2009 - Schroeder

2010 - None

2011 - Jensen

2012 - Gaunce

OJ just amplified the real issue at hand. Any pick that didnt work out was so much more devastating because of the lack of NHL quality talent in our system. Had we landed some talent between those years, OJ wouldnt have been as devastating.

This is currently where Boston and Pittsburgh are headed, just off the top of my head. No real talent in their system, aged out and declining core. Its going to be a long miserable road ahead for them in a few years…. Holding onto hope the vets will get the job done forever…

why stop there? 4 of the next 6 first rounders also missed: bo (hit), shinkaruk (miss), virtanen (miss), mccann (miss), boes (hit), juolevi (miss)

2/14. due to nhl success and extenuating circumstances, people will make arguments for bourdon, grabner, hodgson, mccann, and maybe even schroeder with varying degrees of accuracy and relevance, but at the end of the day only 2/14 made an impact for the organization

first rounders need to be money in the bank. 

Just now, tas said:

why stop there? 4 of the next 6 first rounders also missed: bo (hit), shinkaruk (miss), virtanen (miss), mccann (miss), boes (hit), juolevi (miss)

2/14. due to nhl success and extenuating circumstances, people will make arguments for bourdon, grabner, hodgson, mccann, and maybe even schroeder with varying degrees of accuracy and relevance, but at the end of the day only 2/14 made an impact for the organization

first rounders need to be money in the bank. 

Funny enough I did actually comment a little later about us basically having 0 hits in 8 years in all rounds basically.

You cant expect a hit 100% of the time in the 1st round, there will be misses.

2014 first round might not have “worked out” for us, but we DID land Demko. 
2015 Boeser at 23

2016 - OJ plagued with injuries right after the draft. Lind could have been decent trade bait in a package but we lost him to Seattle

2017 Petey

2018 Hughes

We managed a roster player in 4 of Bennings first 5 drafts. That helped us immensely, something Gillis couldnt do at all and Nonis had one decent draft

13 hours ago, WSAcanuck said:

Brackett was hired on in 2015, not exactly sure how influential he was in the Demko selection 

8 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Funny enough I did actually comment a little later about us basically having 0 hits in 8 years in all rounds basically.

You cant expect a hit 100% of the time in the 1st round, there will be misses.

2014 first round might not have “worked out” for us, but we DID land Demko. 
2015 Boeser at 23

2016 - OJ plagued with injuries right after the draft. Lind could have been decent trade bait in a package but we lost him to Seattle

2017 Petey

2018 Hughes

We managed a roster player in 4 of Bennings first 5 drafts. That helped us immensely, something Gillis couldnt do at all and Nonis had one decent draft

I don't think you can casually shrug off missing on your first round pick just because you found a guy in round 2. 

good teams make the first round count far more often than not. 

Edited by tas

12 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't think you can casually shrug off missing on your first round pick just because you found a guy in round 2. 

good teams make the first round count far more often than not. 

Coming out with nothing or coming out with a franchise goalie in the 2nd… I can deal with the 1st round losses even though Virtanen did carve out some value if we got to a point of being able to trade him before his allegations derailed his future.

McCann was a hit but clearly there was an issue when you see those postage stamps along the way and his ever decreasing value up until his last stop.

Benning found more 2nd rounders than Gillis found picks period