[Signing] Juolevi signs with Timrå

Was hoping for Sergachev or Tkachuk. Sad this is how it ended for Juolevi in the NHL. It's picks like him and Virtanen that have stunted our ability to re-enter the playoff ring. Then you factor in our inability to develop anyone outside the 1st and 2nd round. This franchise really has had a depressing 10 years.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Man....people need to go back and look at 2008 through 2018 and see what happened to all those top 10 picks.  A significant number of them didn't do anything or never lived up to their draft status.

If we drafted players in the top 10 that never became more than 3rd or 4th line players or 5-6 defencemen this fan base would be screaming just as loudly

Bogosian 3rd?

Filatov 6th OA?

L Schenn 5th?

Scott Glennie 8th

Jared Cowen 9th

Gudbranson 3rd

Connolly 6th

Burmistrov 8th

MacIlrath 10th

Larsson 4th

Yakupov 1

Murray 2

Galchenyuk 3

Reinhardt 4

Pouliot 8

Koekkoek 10

(^^^ That's all 2012)

Drouin 3rd

Jones 4th

Dal Colle 5th

Virtanen 6th

Fleury 7th

Ritchie 10th

Puljujarvi 4

Juolevi 5

Nylander 8

Patrick 2

Glass 6

Andersson 7

Middlestadt 8

Hayton 5

Zadina 6

Kravstov 9

Like....these are all essentially busts based on their draft positions vs the careers they've had up until this point.  We flamed out on 2 in hort order and that sucks but when you look at that decade and who was drafting where and for how long it could have been so much worse.

All that aside, good luck OJ.  Hope you figure it out over there.

It’s true. We aren’t special. Everyone has bombs in the draft 

5 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

"With The 5th selection in the NHL draft Vancouver selects from The London Knights Matthew Tkachuk"

There.. I fixed it for Jimbo!

@Vintage Canuck literally said this moments before the "off the board" pick was made. We all thought it was going to be Tkachuk.

Edit.
I went to look for it, but it's not there. However, there are plenty of others that thought for sure we wouldn't be dumb enough to NOT draft Tkachuk.

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/377682-gdt-2016-nhl-entry-draft/page/30/

Edited by gizmo2337
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Devron said:

It’s true. We aren’t special. Everyone has bombs in the draft 

Most rebuilding teams build up picks instead of trading them away as it is a numbers game.  We can't afford draft day misses because we trade away first and second rounders at an alarming rate when we are bad.

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Most rebuilding teams build up picks instead of trading them away as it is a numbers game.  We can't afford draft day misses because we trade away first and second rounders at an alarming rate when we are bad.

We weren’t really ever a rebuilding team. Maybe a year or 2 of rebuild mode. But outside that it was always about playoffs which was basically impossible. That was the problem

20 minutes ago, Devron said:

We weren’t really ever a rebuilding team. Maybe a year or 2 of rebuild mode. But outside that it was always about playoffs which was basically impossible. That was the problem

Not bad enough to win the lottery, poor lottery luck, but also not good enough to make the playoffs 

Has been a lousy place to be

Hughes and Pettersson turned out well but our trading high picks, sliding at the lottery, and winning stretches towards the end of lost seasons haven't helped 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

He will do much better in a Euro league. Slower game. Less contact. Bigger ice. His lack of processing, skating, and compete will not be so prevalent there. 

Honestly, I wasn't upset we passed on Tkachuk in that draft, I was more confused as to why we didn't select Sergachev or Chychrun. All 3 players played in the OHL, they all had very similar point totals, but the latter 2 were both bigger, better skaters, more physical. When Benning selected him he even said he needs to get bigger and stronger, so why not take an equivalent bigger / stronger player, all else being equal or better???

Never understood the decision to take a slighter, less physical, weaker skater on D....ignoring Tkachuk...was just a bad selection over the alternatives in and around the same ranking (and that excludes McAvoy).

Yes we also passed on McAvoy...A big RD who could skate lol....Well done Benning

Edited by BlockerHigh
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

"With The 5th selection in the NHL draft Vancouver selects from The London Knights Matthew Tkachuk"

There.. I fixed it for Jimbo!

Who was traded to the Florida Panthers July 25, 2022

Canuck fans remain 'up in arms' with the ugly return for Tkachuk.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Neither can they afford to give up on players too soon. McCann would look great in our top 6 now.

It was less a case of giving up on him but rather Jim Benning got blinded by Gudbranson's play which largely was a result of Campbell carrying his fat ass in Florida (to the point he tossed in a high 2nd round pick because drafting legends don't need picks 🥸).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It was less a case of giving up on him but rather Jim Benning got blinded by Gudbranson's play which largely was a result of Campbell carrying his fat ass in Florida (to the point he tossed in a high 2nd round pick because drafting legends don't need picks 🥸).

They actually did give up on him. Supposedly he was a bad influence on Virtanen.:picard:

Wait...is this..oh nevermind..🤦‍♂️

I still remember all the people on CDC that told me how dumb I was and needed to realize we had just drafted a number one defenseman. I'm not even happy to be right. In fact I wish they had of been right lol

Edited by Ryan Strome

6 hours ago, Rekker said:

Ugg. This pick really set the franchise back. Gotta let it go.

Well in all fairness…. The picks from 2005-2012 set the franchise back.

2005 - Bourdon RIP

2006 - Grabner

2007 - White

2008 - Hodgson

2009 - Schroeder

2010 - None

2011 - Jensen

2012 - Gaunce

OJ just amplified the real issue at hand. Any pick that didnt work out was so much more devastating because of the lack of NHL quality talent in our system. Had we landed some talent between those years, OJ wouldnt have been as devastating.

This is currently where Boston and Pittsburgh are headed, just off the top of my head. No real talent in their system, aged out and declining core. Its going to be a long miserable road ahead for them in a few years…. Holding onto hope the vets will get the job done forever…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Well in all fairness…. The picks from 2005-2012 set the franchise back.

2005 - Bourdon RIP

2006 - Grabner

2007 - White

2008 - Hodgson

2009 - Schroeder

2010 - None

2011 - Jensen

2012 - Gaunce

OJ just amplified the real issue at hand. Any pick that didnt work out was so much more devastating because of the lack of NHL quality talent in our system. Had we landed some talent between those years, OJ wouldnt have been as devastating.

This is currently where Boston and Pittsburgh are headed, just off the top of my head. No real talent in their system, aged out and declining core. Its going to be a long miserable road ahead for them in a few years…. Holding onto hope the vets will get the job done forever…

.....that is depressing. Not a single hit with first rounders in an 8 year period.