[Rumour] Canucks Did a Thing

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting thing would be though, he's a RHD who might not make it through waivers. Would this take away Juulsen's 4RD spot and get him waived?

Yeah, is Pachal much of an upgrade over Juulsen? If he is an upgrade of Juulsen and the cost is Rathbone I would pull the trigger. 

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah, is Pachal much of an upgrade over Juulsen? If he is an upgrade of Juulsen and the cost is Rathbone I would pull the trigger. 

If Juulsen were claimed, it could end up costing both Juulsen and Rathbone. Might be worth it if he's enough of an upgrade though.

3 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

I haven’t watched either play all that much, so I don’t have much of an opinion beyond looking at stats.

But Pachal had 27 hits in 10 games last season. Whereas Miromanov had 7 hits in 14 games. 

Pachal has also had a fair few fights in the AHL while Miromanov hasn’t had any. Not that Pachal has looked particularly good in the fights, I appreciate that he is willing to do it. 

Miromanov is 2” bigger, and definitely has the edge offensively, but we need big players that play big, not ones that simply are big. 

Pachal has fewer giveaways and more takeaway, with a better Corsi and Fenwick, while also playing PK (with Miromanov only playing PP). He is also the captain of the AHL squad. All in all seems like he has decent character and a toughness we sorely need.

I’m so tired of having a team that is non-physical and non-responsive.

Again, I haven’t watched either player, just observations based on stats and some video.

What are we trying find in a player. If we are after some one who plays big, who not just give Juulsen a shot. I'd prefer someone with more puck ability to potentially play along side Hughes so it actually puts him in the position to succeed.

43 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

If we're targetting a Vegas defender who may not crack the roster I'd be far more interested in Miromanov, personally.

Kaedan Korczak would me ideal, but they probably want to keep him, and he’s not waivers eligible.

14 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

maybe pashal and comtois for ?

Is Comtois on a PTO, or did they sign him?

Edited by Huggy Bear
  • Cheers 1

Makes sense that looking for right D now. They have tried a bunch of things with Hughes and none of them seem to compliment his talent and they really seem to want to run a second pairing built around Hronek who I still want to see with Hughes. 
They gave the guys in the system a shot and they were found to be lacking and Bear is a ways off. 
Time to find someone who is ready to play RD in the NHL.  See if they can slide up or even slide Hronek up to first. 
Given the Hronek-Soucy pairing yesterday suspect it is Hughes-Cole we see next game. 
I am actually surprised we have held into next years first so far. Looking at this team and how they are playing this preseason, two things seem certain, we should keep that pick and we probably won’t. 
Just have to remember we act like a championship contender no matter where we are in the cycle (which is why we almost never are). Working from that lens it makes what we do. 

Just now, Strawbone said:

Was hoping McWard would be a huge surprise and form a legit top pairing with Hughes, but realistically, how often does a player like that instantly have success as a top-pairing D-man? I would guess almost never.

Dude also is just getting his pro career started. Will still be a rookie wherever he plays(AHL/NHL).

• Cheers 1

Just now, Strawbone said:

Was hoping McWard would be a huge surprise and form a legit top pairing with Hughes, but realistically, how often does a player like that instantly have success as a top-pairing D-man? I would guess almost never.

Yeah, there are a few gems out of the gate like Fox, Hughes, and Makar, but it's generally very rare.

59 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

What if we just run the bag off Myers playing top minutes?  injures himself for the rest of the year after three games of playing top minutes then we free up 6 million in cap space?

and do what with the cap space? sign ufa that no one wants? or trade for players that no one wants to trade?

Just now, -AJ- said:

Yeah, there are a few gems out of the gate like Fox, Hughes, and Makar, but it's generally very rare.

Drafting high, especially in deep(or top end D heavy) drafts helps.

Nailing Fox-like players past the 2nd round though. That is even more rare. 

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

and do what with the cap space? sign ufa that no one wants? or trade for players that no one wants to trade?

So if nobody wants to trade anybody this year does that mean nobody will be traded this year. I don't even know what the hell you're saying. But yes, my position would be that we could ideally find a top four right shot defenseman with the cap space. Obviously it would be through trade.

Edited by Ryan Strome

57 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I do. Do you remember when the other 98% of players who are put on waivers cleared and never became everyday NHL players?

I remember when we traded for an AHL stud who wouldn’t clear waivers… but was stuck behind some all-star Centermen at the NHL level.

He went by the name of Linden Vey.

• Haha 1