[Rumour] Canucks Did a Thing

7 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Pronger was 2 1sts and a 2nd. What player of Morrissey's quality has gone for 4 1sts?

Pronger was disgruntled and demanded out.

Nashville could have taken 4 unprotected firsts for Weber and passed.

Edit: we were just offered 2 firsts + for JT miller and passed and i would venture Morrissey's value is a hell of a lot more than JT's was last TDL.

Edited by Sell.the.team

7 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

Pronger was disgruntled and demanded out.

Nashville could have taken 4 unprotected firsts for Weber and passed.

So you have an excuse for everything but haven't provided anything concrete about why you so vastly overvalued a player. Weber is not even in the same atmosphere as Morrissey a anyways. 

Edited by MeanSeanBean

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

So you have an excuse for everything but haven't provided anything concrete about why you so vastly overvalued a player. Weber is not even in the same atmosphere as Morrissey a anyways. 

We don't see talent like Morrissey get traded very often and when we do its often in 1 for 1 like deals where another elite player is coming back.  There isnt much precedent set for this type of trade in the last 15 years.  Citing Gretzky and Pronger as examples is way less appropriate than Weber.

If Morrissey comes back down to earth, then sure...his value will decrease substantially next off season.  Lets see if that happens.  I reckon he will put up at least 55 points with solid defensive metrics to boot.

I doubt we could get a second round pick for an unproven Silvos right now.  I doubt we could get a 4th round pick for Podz given his current state.  A top 7 protected first is OK i suppose, but an unprotected pick has a hell of a lot more value.  In any event, I don't think it moves the pendulum that much when discussing a player of JM's caliber after the season he just had.  Myers has negative value right now, but maybe that will change to a 3rd at the deadline with salary retention if he plays OK this year.  I guess we'll find out.  But if he had value he would have been moved a few weeks ago after his bonus kicked in.

The proposed package is laughable and the fact that you gave it a hard pass says a lot to me.

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Especially in the event Soucy is out for any length of time…

Should the Vancouver Canucks claim right shot defenceman Marcus Bjork?

With the NHL regular season just around the corner, teams are making their last-minute roster decisions for opening night. 

On Friday afternoon, the Columbus Blue Jackets announced that Marcus Bjork, a right-shot defenceman, has been placed on waivers. A position that always attracts a few looks.

The Vancouver Canucks have been relatively quiet on the waiver front, mainly due to their constrained cap space. Any addition to the roster needs to be a perfect fit for the team, and more specifically, for star defenceman Quinn Hughes. 

Could Marcus Bjork be the missing piece that the Canucks’ defense needs?

In the lead-up to the regular season, indications are that Rick Tocchet appears to be leaning toward Cole McWard, a 22-year-old defenceman with just five games of NHL experience.

Is this the most ideal position to be in heading into an NHL regular season? Probably not.

However, Rick Tocchet spoke to the media today, and talked about his pairings: “We’re not scared to experiment. I don’t think that you have to play with this guy to build chemistry all the time”. He also mentioned, “I think the way we are built, that we are a committee team”.

So, while Filip Hronek is a potential candidate, it’s likely that we see him skating on a skating pairing in order to round out the depth, leaving player [insert name here] to skate alongside Quinn Hughes.

Who exactly is Marcus Bjork?

The 25-year-old Swedish defenceman signed as an undrafted free agent from the SHL in the summer of 2022. With four years under his belt, he was considered a veteran two-way defender and a large presence on Brynäs IF’s (SHL) backend.

Initially brought over to North America on a one-year “show me” deal, Bjork was deployed to the Cleveland Monsters in the AHL. 

But, it didn’t take long for him to ascend the ranks.

As injuries piled up in Columbus, Bjork received his initial NHL call-up in early November. In his debut, he made an immediate impact by notching his first NHL goal. 

Bjork went on to play 33 games for the Blue Jackets last year, jumping back and forth, averaging just over 18 minutes per night, while skating mostly with Vladislav Gavirkov on the club’s second-pairing. 

During this span, he contributed three goals and 11 points, along with 45 hits, 42 penalty minutes, and a minus-nine rating.

Bjork is described as a quiet, yet highly effective defender. Standing as a 6-foot-4, 211-pound right-handed option, he brings a physical presence to the game and isn’t afraid to engage in the gritty aspects of play. 

While he may not always grab the spotlight, he simply delivers a reliable and effective performance night after night. 

Sounds like an ex-Canuck defender that Quinn Hughes knows well, doesn’t it?

In a league where right-shot defencemen are highly sought after, Bjork’s combination of size, reliability, and effectiveness could make him an appealing option for the Vancouver Canucks this year.

His profile aligns with the type of player we’ve seen paired with Quinn Hughes in the past, and he has shown that he doesn’t require a high-flying partner to be effective; instead, rather, a steady, smart, and reliable player who allows him to “do his thing” at the right moments.

At 25 years old, Bjork is a mature player who can handle significant minutes and adapt to various roles within the lineup. In crucial games where you need Filip Hronek to jump up into the offensive play, Bjork can seamlessly slide down and fulfill the requirements of a lower pairing.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, Bjork recently signed a new contract over the summer, securing a one-year, two-way deal worth $775,000, making him an affordable and risk-free option for the next year.

By Dave Hall

4 hours ago

https://canucksarmy.com/news/why-vancouver-canucks-5v5-scoring-legitimate-concern-canucks-conversation

so was he claimed? 

3 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

There is no load being blown to begin with.

Silvos is a promising young goalie?  He didn't even crack the roster. 

Podkolzin just got sent back down to the minors and people are starting to throw the B word around.  Maybe he can refind his game at some point, but at this point he has little to no trade value. 

A top 7 protected first round draft pick?  That isn't quite as valuable as people think... especially if we become a playoff team.

Do you really think this gets you an 80 point defenseman who makes $6.25M for several more seasons that is good defensively.  It is not even close.  We are not even in the right ballpark.  I bet we could call up Winnipeg and offer them 4 unprotected 1st rounders and they would hang up the phone.  I don't doubt he will regress (perhaps heavily) statistically next year.... but how far will he fall?  50 points?  40 points? 

I don't care if he gets zero Norris votes next year.... if we could add him to our team for that "load" then we would be idiots not to do it.  Go post this proposal on the Winnipeg Forum and see what people say.  It's outright delusion and should be called out as such. 

Fucking seriously, dude? Silovs wasn't supposed to crack the roster. Him going down is not a bad thing. The fact that you think it is shows you have no clue about what you are talking about.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

There is no load being blown to begin with.

Silvos is a promising young goalie?  He didn't even crack the roster. 

Podkolzin just got sent back down to the minors and people are starting to throw the B word around.  Maybe he can refind his game at some point, but at this point he has little to no trade value. 

A top 7 protected first round draft pick?  That isn't quite as valuable as people think... especially if we become a playoff team.

Do you really think this gets you an 80 point defenseman who makes $6.25M for several more seasons that is good defensively.  It is not even close.  We are not even in the right ballpark.  I bet we could call up Winnipeg and offer them 4 unprotected 1st rounders and they would hang up the phone.  I don't doubt he will regress (perhaps heavily) statistically next year.... but how far will he fall?  50 points?  40 points? 

I don't care if he gets zero Norris votes next year.... if we could add him to our team for that "load" then we would be idiots not to do it.  Go post this proposal on the Winnipeg Forum and see what people say.  It's outright delusion and should be called out as such. 

Is this satire?  When was the last time a player was traded for 4 first round picks?  Eric Lindros?  Wayne Gretzky? 

Also, what team would be dumb enough to trade 4 first round picks for a Dman coming off a career year where he doubled his point production at 27 years old?  What if Morrissey drops back to his career average of 30 points this year?  Also, he’s a small puck moving left hand D.  We already have one of those guys so he doesn’t even fit what we need.  

The trade proposal that was made wouldn’t get us Josh Morrissey, but your assumption that Winnipeg wouldn’t trade Morrissey for 4 unprotected first round picks is just as bad…

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

We don't see talent like Morrissey get traded very often and when we do its often in 1 for 1 like deals where another elite player is coming back.  There isnt much precedent set for this type of trade in the last 15 years.  Citing Gretzky and Pronger as examples is way less appropriate than Weber.

If Morrissey comes back down to earth, then sure...his value will decrease substantially next off season.  Lets see if that happens.  I reckon he will put up at least 55 points with solid defensive metrics to boot.

I doubt we could get a second round pick for an unproven Silvos right now.  I doubt we could get a 4th round pick for Podz given his current state.  A top 7 protected first is OK i suppose, but an unprotected pick has a hell of a lot more value.  In any event, I don't think it moves the pendulum that much when discussing a player of JM's caliber after the season he just had.  Myers has negative value right now, but maybe that will change to a 3rd at the deadline with salary retention if he plays OK this year.  I guess we'll find out.  But if he had value he would have been moved a few weeks ago after his bonus kicked in.

The proposed package is laughable and the fact that you gave it a hard pass says a lot to me.

Like wise about 4 1st round picks, so lucky for us we're at an impasse because we think the other person has zero idea what they are talking about. Me bringing up those trades were to show you how completely unhinged your 4 1st round pick evaluation is. It's beyond ridiculous. 

How does your JT example make any sense. 2 players in valued positions, having standout offense seasons. Let's say JT's value is the rumoured 2 1sts from Pits. How does it make sense to just double that value? If anything JTs value sets a pretty solid benchmark. Also... we passed? Speculation is Pits ownership stopped it, not us. 

What about Chychrun, 1st, 2nd and 3rs? There's doezens of examples to gives us an idea of what JM may be worth. Instead you are dobling down on the idea he's worth one of the biggest trades in NHL history.

I even said in my original post that he was worth that package, TO ANOTHER TEAM. JM had a standout season by litterally every metric last year. He was given a 65% ozone start to boost those numbers. In what world is it wise for an asset poor team to spend our minimal assets buying high on a player after a standout year, who's best year came when being sheltered offensively, when we already have a superior player playing the exactly same position. Is this OEL all over again, that you Jim?

Edited by MeanSeanBean

15 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

Erik Karlsson was just dealt in this exact type of deal. 

18 hours ago, RWJC said:

Especially in the event Soucy is out for any length of time…

Should the Vancouver Canucks claim right shot defenceman Marcus Bjork?

With the NHL regular season just around the corner, teams are making their last-minute roster decisions for opening night. 

On Friday afternoon, the Columbus Blue Jackets announced that Marcus Bjork, a right-shot defenceman, has been placed on waivers. A position that always attracts a few looks.

The Vancouver Canucks have been relatively quiet on the waiver front, mainly due to their constrained cap space. Any addition to the roster needs to be a perfect fit for the team, and more specifically, for star defenceman Quinn Hughes. 

Could Marcus Bjork be the missing piece that the Canucks’ defense needs?

In the lead-up to the regular season, indications are that Rick Tocchet appears to be leaning toward Cole McWard, a 22-year-old defenceman with just five games of NHL experience.

Is this the most ideal position to be in heading into an NHL regular season? Probably not.

However, Rick Tocchet spoke to the media today, and talked about his pairings: “We’re not scared to experiment. I don’t think that you have to play with this guy to build chemistry all the time”. He also mentioned, “I think the way we are built, that we are a committee team”.

So, while Filip Hronek is a potential candidate, it’s likely that we see him skating on a skating pairing in order to round out the depth, leaving player [insert name here] to skate alongside Quinn Hughes.

Who exactly is Marcus Bjork?

The 25-year-old Swedish defenceman signed as an undrafted free agent from the SHL in the summer of 2022. With four years under his belt, he was considered a veteran two-way defender and a large presence on Brynäs IF’s (SHL) backend.

Initially brought over to North America on a one-year “show me” deal, Bjork was deployed to the Cleveland Monsters in the AHL. 

But, it didn’t take long for him to ascend the ranks.

As injuries piled up in Columbus, Bjork received his initial NHL call-up in early November. In his debut, he made an immediate impact by notching his first NHL goal. 

Bjork went on to play 33 games for the Blue Jackets last year, jumping back and forth, averaging just over 18 minutes per night, while skating mostly with Vladislav Gavirkov on the club’s second-pairing. 

During this span, he contributed three goals and 11 points, along with 45 hits, 42 penalty minutes, and a minus-nine rating.

Bjork is described as a quiet, yet highly effective defender. Standing as a 6-foot-4, 211-pound right-handed option, he brings a physical presence to the game and isn’t afraid to engage in the gritty aspects of play. 

While he may not always grab the spotlight, he simply delivers a reliable and effective performance night after night. 

Sounds like an ex-Canuck defender that Quinn Hughes knows well, doesn’t it?

In a league where right-shot defencemen are highly sought after, Bjork’s combination of size, reliability, and effectiveness could make him an appealing option for the Vancouver Canucks this year.

His profile aligns with the type of player we’ve seen paired with Quinn Hughes in the past, and he has shown that he doesn’t require a high-flying partner to be effective; instead, rather, a steady, smart, and reliable player who allows him to “do his thing” at the right moments.

At 25 years old, Bjork is a mature player who can handle significant minutes and adapt to various roles within the lineup. In crucial games where you need Filip Hronek to jump up into the offensive play, Bjork can seamlessly slide down and fulfill the requirements of a lower pairing.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, Bjork recently signed a new contract over the summer, securing a one-year, two-way deal worth $775,000, making him an affordable and risk-free option for the next year.

By Dave Hall

4 hours ago

https://canucksarmy.com/news/why-vancouver-canucks-5v5-scoring-legitimate-concern-canucks-conversation

Sounds like a no risk - high reward move to pick him up.  If anything, we need more capable bodies to play.  He's young, big, RH, could have more potential to unlock and he's Swedish.  Hope we make a claim

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Sounds like a no risk - high reward move to pick him up.  If anything, we need more capable bodies to play.  He's young, big, RH, could have more potential to unlock and he's Swedish.  Hope we make a claim

Too late now. Think he cleared. Unless we make a trade for him.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's a good number of pending UFA's this summer that would suit as short-medium term stop gaps there, as a "defensive, gritty guys who covers his own end" of assorted abilities/price ranges...

Pesce is probably at the top, then Zaitsev, Tanev and Lyubushkin. There's Hakanpaa as well, but he's getting up there and his skating isn't ideal. There's also Zadorov (lefty but plays right).

Next year

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Tanev

Soucy - Willander

44 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Next year

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Tanev

Soucy - Willander

I don't see Hughes and Hronek being a regular 5v5  pairing. We still need someone there beside Hughes until/if Willander is ready for top pairing minutes (likely 3+years away).