[Report] Stan Smyl steps down from position with Canucks Hockey Operations

RWJC

21 hours ago, Truefan99 said:

this organization is running all the legends out of town, Bure, Linden, Smyl, only time before the Sedins are leaving. 

Lol.   How is 45 years "running" out of town.   Good grief, how many years do people expect to work?   He's earned his rest.   And it's not like he's "leaving" the organization either.   I highly doubt the Sedins put 30 plus years into the org post retirement.   That's a ridiculous expectation.   

19 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. Everybody likes and respects Stan "the Steamer" Smyl, including me.

2. At age 65, "transitioning" out of his full-time position to a minor role with the club seems like a pretty nice sort of retirement. I wonder if he gets paid anything for his role as a "community and business ambassador" with the club.

3. With JR and PA running the show and with relatively new AGMs Cammi Granato and Émilie Castonguay in place, I am guessing that Stan did not have much input to decision-making, despite his title as Vice-President, Hockey Operations. This is not a criticism of anyone, but I am guessing that Stan maybe got tired of just being window-dressing.

4. It is great to have Stan remain in some sort of official capacity with the team.  Expect to see him hoisting the Cup at the end of this season. 🙂

5. Too bad things did not work out the same way for Trevor Linden.

Yes to all of the above. 

53 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lol.   How is 45 years "running" out of town.   Good grief, how many years do people expect to work?   He's earned his rest.   And it's not like he's "leaving" the organization either.   I highly doubt the Sedins put 30 plus years into the org post retirement.   That's a ridiculous expectation.   

Sounds like it was amicable. 

9 hours ago, TheGuardian said:

As a member of the old New West Bruins dynasty I think he is the only player to play in 4 Memorial Cups. There were some years I swear they were better than the Canucks, tougher too.

Not impossible.  There was an exhibition game between the Canucks and the Vancouver Police Department team at some point in the mid 80s...and the Canucks lost.

On 10/5/2023 at 7:30 PM, Jaimito said:

Don't think Smyl got pushed out.  He's getting older and maybe wanted this.  

Bure wanted out and then came back after Pat Quinn lobbied him into HOF.  His jersey then got retired.  

Linden got pushed out, maybe by JB.  Who knows.   I hope he will return to be part of team in some way again.   

Bure came back...worked the phones with the Canucks charities for one afternoon so he would look like a community guy, got his jersey retired and then we never saw him again.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

I can imagine losing his wife last September and the upheaval around the team made it very challenging for Stan.

I'm sure he needs time to decompress, properly grieve his wife, and enjoy some time off. I hope Steamer will be okay and that the organization continues to support him as he transitions out. 

• Upvote 1