Worst Canuck related take?

I really like the new Kuzmeko reaction. Let's give our worst Canucks related takes to earn some. I'll start with a doozy.

I listen to a lot of Canucks podcasts/radio, included Canucks Talk. I've grown fond of Thomas Drance and find him quite entertaining as a radio personality.

Edited by MeanSeanBean

Mark Messier's time in Vancouver was grossly misunderstood.  Keep in mind that he didn't actually demand to be captain, but rather, the media had anointed him the captain.  To avoid what would likely become a major distraction, Linden handed the captaincy to Messier.  Messier was actually a good leader for us but McCaw and Quinn were the ones at fault for believing that 36 year old Messier was "the missing piece" for this core.  The core had become stale and had become a country club atmosphere that was living off the laurels of 1994.  The team needed to be gutted, not bring in Messier.  With regards to the Wayne Maki slight, that was on McCaw not Messier.  How was Messier supposed to know about Wayne Maki and his history?

All Messier did was point out what the media had been saying all throughout the 1996/1997 season.....the core needed to be gutted and there needed to be significant change.  Messier may not have won a cup in Vancouver but he was instrumental in helping a guy like Naslund take the next step (Naslund himself gives credit to Messier for this).   Bure loved playing with Messier as well.

And let's be honest - Tom Renney was an absolutely awful NHL coach at that time.  All Messier did was point out the obvious.  People also lambast Keenan for chewing out Linden when in reality, Linden's play was simply not up to par at that time. He was not the same guy that he was in 1994 and Keenan simply pointed out the truth.  Scratching beneath the surface of excitement, fans and core players in Vancouver were still likely salty that Messier had defeated the Canucks just three years earlier.  What if the Canucks had brought in Brad Marchand in 2014?  How would have people have reacted after going past the surface?   

In many respects, Mark Messier was probably the most underrated and under-appreciated Canuck of all-time.  There is no Markus Naslund the superstar without Mark Messier.

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Messier please go away.

Is that Ghostsof1915 or Ghostsof1997?  :-p.  

I can't go away because the only place where I appear to be living is inside your head young man.  

Hence, only you can control if I go away or not. 😉

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

Just now, eeeeeeeeergh said:

worst take ive ever heard is the endless loui eriksson abuse on this forum. we will be a forever cursed franchise until we bend the knee 

Eriksson was actually a solid player for us in many respects.  He won board battles and was very rarely out of position.  There's a reason why Green had him attached to the Horvat/Pearson line to shut down opponents.  That line was almost always on the ice during the last minute of the game.  Was Eriksson overpaid?  Absolutely.  Aside from that however, Eriksson was one of our most defensively responsible players and should have been a part of our 2020/2021 team.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Is that Ghostsof1915 or Ghostsof1997?  :-p.  

I can't go away because the only place where I appear to be living is inside your head young man.  

Hence, only you can control if I go away or not. 😉

Considering at Rogers Arena they've almost wiped clean your memory.

I just don't want you haunting here. That's my gig.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Considering at Rogers Arena they've almost wiped clean your memory.

I just don't want you haunting here. That's my gig.

Almost being the operative word here. 😉

If you look closely enough at the Canucks Hall of Fame commemorating their past captains, you might find me there if you look hard enough. 😉

In all seriousness though, I wish you guys well in your hunt for a cup. Experiencing a Stanley Cup victory is an experience like none other and believe it or not, I'm pulling for you guys. 😉

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

In many respects, Mark Messier was probably the most underrated and under-appreciated Canuck of all-time.  

Perhaps you'd split between on and off-ice Canucks staff, but I would say that torch has been very much passed to the one, the only, James Elmer Benning.

Yep.

I said it.

20 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Jake Virtanen is an innocent man and woke angry feminists with an axe to grind after having buyers remorse following one night stands with him decided to tarnish his reputation and derail his NHL career.

You probably win. That's an absolutely terrible take.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Perhaps you'd split between on and off-ice Canucks staff, but I would say that torch has been very much passed to the one, the only, James Elmer Benning.

Yep.

I said it.

The Canucks would currently be an elite team had they kept Benning around.  Benning understood Horvat's value and never would have let him go.  Furthermore, Benning would have walked from Boeser and would have found a way to address our problems on RD.  Canucks would have made the 2nd round last year if Benning was still here.  Guys like Rutherford and Alvin created a very toxic and unstable environment during the 2022 off-season which lead to many players wondering about their futures here (and losing focus).