[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames at Rogers Arena, Oct 6, 2023, 7pm PDT

Rocket-68

44 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Watching last nights game showed me a couple things.

1 we are not as bad as feared or as bad as many pundits think. Our goaltending can be elite. Demko was good. De Smith is an upgrade on Martin.

Our forwards have always had scoring touch it just comes down to whether we can do it inside Tocchets defense first system. The D is Better even Myers when he isnt expected to be the shut down guy every night and play 26 mins a game.

Hughes Hronek Myers Soucy Cole even Juulsen looked good as a total unit. The D will be better especially if Soucy is healthy.

2 The flames are nowhere near a good team and should really finish below us in the standings. Marky was not that great in that game and has to play better for Calgary to be competitive

they really dont have much pop on offense. scoring 10 against an AHL squad may have given them a bit of over confidence.

There were a lot of breakdowns on D also. Their D like ours doesnt seem to have much depth.

I see them 6th in the division by seasons end.

Right now we will have to have a few things go our way to make the playoffs. I would say it would mildly surprise me if we make it. I think the Division is between Vegas and the Coilers. We could finish 3rd or 6th.LA or Seattle will be fourth but the loser not necessarily 5th. I think we are right there for a spot thru March. The problem is the Central has good teams as well. 

Dallas St Louis and Minny will challenge for a spot as well as Colorado and Winnipeg. I would guess Dallas wins the division with a rejuvenated Avs team right behind Minny  maybe 3rd and then St Louis or Winnipeg challenge for a wild card. Honestly it could be 4 teams from each division this year.

Injuries will play the factor and we have to have a fast start to even be in the conversation.First 20 games if we could get 25-28 points we can challenge. we just cant start like we have the last couple years. Go 12-6 and 2 to start and I will believe.

Fans are rightly excited about the teams improvements.  Even though its not a classic rebuild, its a build at least. Which means sacrificing sustainability unless we get real lucky in our waiver and FA acquisitions and the fewer draft picks we have to work with.

But in the short term, this could work. Which I'm stoked for. Can't wait for the season to start.

I just think though that fans have to realize that the whole league itself is getting better, getting younger, getting faster, getting more talented.  Every team has an opportunity to improve their product. The cap going up will help us sure, but it will also help every other team. Help a rival get themselves over the top with a finishing piece etc.  

All ships are rising. Its about rising faster and smarter than other ships. And we have more leaks in our boat than others. It will take some very smart decision making, and some luck too, to rise to an contender level and then remain that competitive. So many self inflicted leaks were done during the last decade it will take a stretch of smart decisions on how best to patch the holes and not stop there. Start strengthening the mast and sails next.  Okay I'm getting a little abstract. But suffice to say, just landing Petey and Hughes who are already approaching veteran status on our team, is not enough to compete with the best. But I'm cautiously optimistic that the new additions will gel well and truly building from the goal out with Tocchet will finally take us into the post season again.

• Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Fans are rightly excited about the teams improvements.  Even though its not a classic rebuild, its a build at least. Which means sacrificing sustainability unless we get real lucky in our waiver and FA acquisitions and the fewer draft picks we have to work with.

But in the short term, this could work. Which I'm stoked for. Can't wait for the season to start.

I just think though that fans have to realize that the whole league itself is getting better, getting younger, getting faster, getting more talented.  Every team has an opportunity to improve their product. The cap going up will help us sure, but it will also help every other team. Help a rival get themselves over the top with a finishing piece etc.  

All ships are rising. Its about rising faster and smarter than other ships. And we have more leaks in our boat than others. It will take some very smart decision making, and some luck too, to rise to an contender level and then remain that competitive. So many self inflicted leaks were done during the last decade it will take a stretch of smart decisions on how best to patch the holes and not stop there. Start strengthening the mast and sails next.  Okay I'm getting a little abstract. But suffice to say, just landing Petey and Hughes who are already approaching veteran status on our team, is not enough to compete with the best. But I'm cautiously optimistic that the new additions will gel well and truly building from the goal out with Tocchet will finally take us into the post season again.

Younger isn't better.  Veteran teams win Cups

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I will add to that, teams with good d corps win cups too.  This teams d corp is not good enough to go far.  They should be better this year; the improvements on the PK alone will see to that.  Will they be better enough to move the needle into contender?  I hope I'm wrong, but I have my doubts.

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I will add to that, teams with good d corps win cups too.  This teams d corp is not good enough to go far.  They should be better this year; the improvements on the PK alone will see to that.  Will they be better enough to move the needle into contender?  I hope I'm wrong, but I have my doubts.

Goalies can still steal games, and Demko is certainly one of those goalies.

And speaking of deep runs, I credit much of the Florida Panthers run on Bobrovsky. He was lights out.

The Canucks shouldn't have to rely on all star goaltending to get there, unlike under Boudreau playing "river hockey." And where there are shortcomings, with the structural changes, upgraded d and pkers, a healthy Demmers? Anything is possible. Not saying cup mind you, but at least surprise some people.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

That is hardly what I was saying.

But yes, players are developing at a younger age, they eat better, are in better shape. the top prospects have their own trainers. Those at the top are ready to fit onto an NHL team much quicker than say 20 years ago. Do you not agree?

You twisted my observation that players are, on average, getting better at a younger age, as a blanket statement that "younger is better".  You can do better than that.

2 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Goalies can still steal games, and Demko is certainly one of those goalies.

And speaking of deep runs, I credit much of the Florida Panthers run on Bobrovsky. He was lights out.

The Canucks shouldn't have to rely on all star goaltending to get there, unlike under Boudreau playing "river hockey." And where there are shortcomings, with the structural changes, upgraded d and pkers, a healthy Demmers? Anything is possible. Not saying cup mind you, but at least surprise some people.

For sure, goalies can take you a long way.  I'm not giving up on this team at all, but I need to see some a run of good regular season play to be more glass half full.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmyTheGma said:

Glad to see us play well against the Flames.  This is a team we will need to beat consistently all year if we want one of those precious PO spots.

I think the boys are really starting to believe in the system they are playing and are seeing the results be positive.

I think Demko is really liking the strong defensive play and that is really going to keep him fresh and less stressed, and also knowing he has a decent backup.

Hughes and Hronek looked dominant.  They just dominate the possession game and do nothing but create opportunities for the the forwards.  I think they will be one of the top d pairing in the whole league this year if they stay playing together.

Meyers and Cole looked surprisingly effective.  The goal was a nice touch, but their defensive game is what really stood out and what you want from a 2nd pair.  The new structure and having a reliable partner like Cole may even see Meyers get an extension this year. (Don’t hate me for this thought). I have a feeling he is gonna have a hell of a year.

Soucy and Juulson looked solid and didn’t make too many mistakes that hurt the team.  They are actually better than a lot of 3rd pairings.  Hope Soucy isn’t out too long, but I think we have the depth to cover him for a bit.  Much more so than if we were counting on him to be playing in the top 4.

Top line looked like they were off a bit, not loving Garland there, but they were still better than the Flames top line.  With Mik, they are going to dominate this year.

2nd line I thought was our best line tonight.  PDG looked the best out of the 3 which is awesome for a league min player and that is not saying Brock and Miller were bad, just maybe not trying as hard as they could.

3rd line was sneaky good.  Really like what Suter brings.  He is the key cog on that line.

4th line was amazing.  Blueger is going to be a fan fav and I suspect he will have a great year.  How long did he sign for?  If only 1 year, I bet the extend him mid year.

Bringnon the regular season, we are going places this year I have a feeling.

Top line was under the weather, I think they said that Kuz and Petey were sick. 

I couldn't watch the game, so thanks for the recap! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmyTheGma said:

Glad to see us play well against the Flames.  This is a team we will need to beat consistently all year if we want one of those precious PO spots.

I think the boys are really starting to believe in the system they are playing and are seeing the results be positive.

I think Demko is really liking the strong defensive play and that is really going to keep him fresh and less stressed, and also knowing he has a decent backup.

Hughes and Hronek looked dominant.  They just dominate the possession game and do nothing but create opportunities for the the forwards.  I think they will be one of the top d pairing in the whole league this year if they stay playing together.

Meyers and Cole looked surprisingly effective.  The goal was a nice touch, but their defensive game is what really stood out and what you want from a 2nd pair.  The new structure and having a reliable partner like Cole may even see Meyers get an extension this year. (Don’t hate me for this thought). I have a feeling he is gonna have a hell of a year.

Soucy and Juulson looked solid and didn’t make too many mistakes that hurt the team.  They are actually better than a lot of 3rd pairings.  Hope Soucy isn’t out too long, but I think we have the depth to cover him for a bit.  Much more so than if we were counting on him to be playing in the top 4.

Top line looked like they were off a bit, not loving Garland there, but they were still better than the Flames top line.  With Mik, they are going to dominate this year.

2nd line I thought was our best line tonight.  PDG looked the best out of the 3 which is awesome for a league min player and that is not saying Brock and Miller were bad, just maybe not trying as hard as they could.

3rd line was sneaky good.  Really like what Suter brings.  He is the key cog on that line.

4th line was amazing.  Blueger is going to be a fan fav and I suspect he will have a great year.  How long did he sign for?  If only 1 year, I bet the extend him mid year.

Bringnon the regular season, we are going places this year I have a feeling.

I think when Mik is back, Garland will slide down with Suter and Joshua.  
That could be really annoying line to play against that will draw a tonne of penalties. 
With what Beau has brought so far he would make an excellent though somewhat expensive 13th forward. 
There were times in his first year that OEL looked like he fixed Myers, he didn’t. I wouldn’t expect too much there but Cole really looked excellent last night. 
‘The big guns still look rusty other than Hughes. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Top line was under the weather, I think they said that Kuz and Petey were sick. 

I couldn't watch the game, so thanks for the recap! 

Ya that makes sense, they definitely had that sluggish look about them.  Always a split sec behind the thoughts.  It’s very promising that they still outperformed the lames top guns.

I dont see Mikheyev playing in the top 6 when he gets back.  Dude lost an entire off season and training camp. He needs to play on the third line and slowly build up his mins.  He’s a worker bee tho, so maybe he gets to a level he’s comfortable with this season. 

Edited by A_G
dude

8 hours ago, -dlc- said:

My only complaint about Myers is I feel like he focuses (at times) too much on the offensive side of things. He likes/wants to score...which is great. Except when he zings a puck  40' wide of the net and it ricochets around the boards and out and then he's scrambling. 

I do like him and, quite honestly, we'd be worse without him. But some of his decisions leave me wondering....why???

I did love that he got a goal but I really feel like he thinks he's a forward at times. On the plus side, I haven't seen him throwing his big body onto the ice like a speed bump. That's ok on occasion when needed, but not as a go to defensive play. When it works, great...when it doesn't, it makes him ineffective and leaves him out of the play completely.

If he wants to shoot, shoot at the goalie, not shooting at corners of the net which risk going around the rink if I were the coach coaching Myers.  He is not a sniper.  He is far better concentrate on defending.

• Cheers 1

If Allvin can tweak the third line (swap Garland for defensive help) that would be a tidy piece of business.  Hoagie/Joshua on wings until Mikheyev comes back, then those two can battle for ice time. 

Make it so GMPA

• ThereItIs 1

19 hours ago, toochmahgooch said:

Troll. Soucy has looked above expectations. Him and Hronek played great together. Odd turnover and bad bounce, but that's hockey. 

Soucy looked okay to me, wouldn't sing his praises too much HOWEVER he's perfectly fine as a 3rd pairing LD. 

He ticks a lot of boxes for size and physicality. 

So no issues with him, but it would be foolish to pretend that he has looked great so far. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Soucy looked okay to me, wouldn't sing his praises too much HOWEVER he's perfectly fine as a 3rd pairing LD. 

So no issues with him, but it would be foolish to pretend that he has looked great so far. 

For 3.5? I'd say he's worth it. 

58 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Soucy has been very good, especially on the PK. Very smart signing by the shining heads. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2