[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames at Rogers Arena, Oct 6, 2023, 7pm PDT

Rocket-68

23 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Where was Soucy a bright spot? Im sorry, I watched every pre-season game... the only bright spot I saw was a possible 3 million in LTIR when he went down.

You are right about Cole, paired with Myers they acually "looked" like a second pairing

Troll. Soucy has looked above expectations. Him and Hronek played great together. Odd turnover and bad bounce, but that's hockey. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Good habits going on tonight. Either Flames really suck, or Canucks are learning defense. I guess we’ll see a bit more on Wednesday.

Losing Soucy for any length of time would suck balls. He’s our new Tanev and we don’t have much defensive depth.

I’m pumped to get this season started. Hopefully Mikeheyev is back just in time for Game 1.

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, ManbeastMARK said:

That’s hilarious to me that you think players are in the CFL solely because it’s “more suited” for them physically. Every last player in the CFL wishes he was good enough to be in the NFL.

It’s hilarious because you’re dumb. The CFL’s rules equate to a different game - therefore some athletes will inherently be better suited to it than the NFL game.

Of course players wish they were playing in the NFL due to salary.  That had nothing to do with my statement. Yet, NFL’ers have come to the CFL and been immediately cut - it’s not some enormous gap for the average player. Or take Ricky Williams who didn’t single handedly win the league when he cane up.  Cuts usually boil down to some obscure stat like arm length when it comes to making an NFL roster due to the parity.  Bighill, for example, is a phenomenal football player - he lit it up in his NFL opportunities.  But they’re going to lean upside based on physical attributes every time - especially with an older player.  Or look to Flutie if you want. 

Of course, the elite NFL players would be the best in the world wherever they played. But the top CFL’ers would likely fit in on an NFL roster if given the chance.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, The Duke said:

It’s hilarious because you’re dumb. The CFL’s rules equate to a different game - therefore some athletes will inherently be better suited to it than the NFL game.

Of course players wish they were playing in the NFL due to salary.  That had nothing to do with my statement. Yet, NFL’ers have come to the CFL and been immediately cut - it’s not some enormous gap for the average player. Or take Ricky Williams who didn’t single handedly win the league when he cane up.  Cuts usually boil down to some obscure stat like arm length when it comes to making an NFL roster due to the parity.  Bighill, for example, is a phenomenal football player - he lit it up in his NFL opportunities.  But they’re going to lean upside based on physical attributes every time - especially with an older player.  Or look to Flutie if you want. 

Of course, the elite NFL players would be the best in the world wherever they played. But the top CFL’ers would likely fit in on an NFL roster if given the chance.

Sounds a lot like the AHL lol

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, JamesB said:

A lot to like about tonight's game. These are the things that stood out for me.

1. PDG looks great. Excellent fit with Miller and Boeser.  (Reminds me of Burrows with the Sedins.) And it looks like that line will be ready to go at the start of the season.

2. Demko looks good and the PK looks good. In terms of getting better performance this year, I think that Demko and the PK are the two most important factors, so this is excellent.

3. Cole and Myers looked very good. One of the best games I have even seen from Myers. Those guy look like a legitimate #2 pairing. Then Hronek can play with Hughes on a legitimate #1 pairing. The 3rd pairing is still a question mark, but if you cover off the top 4 that is a great start. Juulsen and Soucy struggled together and then Soucy got hurt and it does not look good. With Briser injured, looks like Wolanin has made the team and probably made the starting 6.

4. Really liking Blueger's game. Excellent on the PK and does not give up much defensively, as advertised. But his offensive skills looked surprisingly good. Small sample, but looks good.

5. Kuzy was a bit off, as expected.  If some sort of virus has worked through the team, I hope everyone is healthy for Edmonton next week.

Anyway, really positive conclusion to the preseason (except for the Soucy injury).

Damn.  I was just thinking this was Breezers chance when Soucy didn't return for the 3rd.  Though I'm happy to see if Wolanin can take a step up in his game.

Yesterday we were thinking "what are we going to do with 3 D playing for 1 spot, and as Canuck luck would have it, here we are using them already.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Yes every CFL player would be in the NFL if they could but not every NFL’er could play here.

Fred Bilitnekoff, Steve Christie, Marc Gastineau, Chad Johnson,  Dexter Manley, Trent Richardson, Andre Rison, Ricky Williams, Vince Young, Johnny Manziel….all guys who starred in the NFL or college football but couldn’t cut  it in the CFL.  Granted some of these guys were a little past their best before date but they all assumed they’d be stars up here and were anything but. 

The wider & longer field and shorter time clock led lots of guys to comment how hard this league is.

• Cheers 2