[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames at Rogers Arena, Oct 6, 2023, 7pm PDT

Rocket-68

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Tochett is going to fun to watch during this teams next phase.   Certainly tells it like is.   Smyl came to camp ripped and ready to go in the 70's,  Tochett did the same in the 80's to early 2000's.    Nice to see strength and conditioning becoming part of our culture again.    Do believe this teams best chances of making the postseason,  is going to come down to coaching and buy in.    The players seem to love this guy.   Even the vets.   What beaut as Cherry would say.   

Odds are stacked against us on paper,  personally i'm going to enjoy the process, and think organizational alignment and the coaching staff is a strength to help push us into a wild card spot. 

Edit:  Tochett ... ordering the rings lol.   And "Calgary is a good team".   Can see why him and "Greener" are buddie.    Different styles though, Tochett wants the guys skating forward, not going into the 5 man box.    Both styles can be boring, but wins are wins.    This team looks to be much stronger defensively.   

Funny because the "5 man box" is the defensive style they play.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

He wasn't holding onyo his leg, sheesh.  It was a sudden shift in direction and he was trying to get the puck.  Sharongovich isn't that kind of player. Bad luck, but it happens 

Neither one of us can say with certainty if he was hanging onto the leg or not.

To me it does look as though he was holding it. He may not have intended to injure anyone just slow the forward advance of the opposing player. 

• Vintage 1

Nice to see the systems coming along. A lot of defensive traps out there from the Canuck’s which is very different from last year. 
Great game from Blueger. If he plays like this all year he is a steal. 
Cole had a really solid game as well. Could he finally be the giraffe whisperer. 
Hope Soucy is okay. 
Hughes and Hronek are looking solid. Claim Bjork and put him with Soucy or Cole on second pairing.  If we added him, Bjork,, Soucy, Cole and Myers on the D, we are suddenly huge on D. Who doesn’t love a huge D?
If we give Demko this kind of support we should be in most games. Whether we can score enough to be competitive for the playoffs is the big question. 
Brock looks much more involved but the ongoing degredation of his shot is concerning. PDG is going to get a great chance on that line because it desperately needs a shooter. 
EP and Miller still look rusty.  I don’t know what to make of Garland and Beau other than would like to see them moved. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • ThereItIs 2

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Cole is a steadying influence on Myers.

Hughes, Hronek

Cole, Myers

That’s a really good top four. The top pair is fabulous. 

Couldn't agree more Alf.

I am not a Myers fan whatsoever, but he looks good with Cole. As long as the chaos can be controlled he still provides some good qualities (size and shutdown ability).

Hughes - Hronek was as good as expected. I hope they stay together as a pair. It was beautiful to watch.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Joe King said:

Neither one of us can say with certainty if he was hanging onto the leg or not.

To me it does look as though he was holding it. He may not have intended to injure anyone just slow the forward advance of the opposing player. 

That certainly could be

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, xMagnus said:

Couldn't agree more Alf.

I am not a Myers fan whatsoever, but he looks good with Cole. As long as the chaos can be controlled he still provides some good qualities (size and shutdown ability).

Hughes - Hronek was as good as expected. I hope they stay together as a pair. It was beautiful to watch.

Once again for the people in the back.  The problem last year was coaching

• Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

Which was mostly due to a complete lack of a defensive system

Think it had more to do with lingering injury, some horrid play by one of our premier forwards and a just not very good team. 
The second winningest coach in NHL history was a small part of the problem but the main problems were higher up the chain. 

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Think it had more to do with lingering injury, some horrid play by one of our premier forwards and a just not very good team. 
The second winningest coach in NHL history was a small part of the problem but the main problems were higher up the chain. 

Disagree completely.  

36 minutes ago, xMagnus said:

Couldn't agree more Alf.

Allvin did good getting Hughes an elite partner in Hronek. Our D is so much better now. Even with Soucy going down we can move Wolanin into the bottom pair with Juulsson. Should be okay. 

• Vintage 1

Nice game to end the Preseason on  !! The two roster were evenish strength and clearly the stars on both side were skating well within themselves but we pretty much outclassed them for most of the night, other than a few extended periods of zone time for the Flames. 

My takeaways from the game : 

1. Miller always looks like he's at half speed in preseason - he will step it up a gear and a half when regular starts, nothing to worry about there. 

2. Did Garland even play ?! His consistency this preseason is strange, hope Myk is pretty close to a return

3. Beau and Suiter on the 3rd Line looking good but not sure Joshua is a fit there, had some good hits and checks, but absolute hands of stone in front of net.

4. 4th line also looked strong - really liking Bleuger down there, could be our best 4th line C since Lappy. 

5. On this showing i do like Juulsen more than the other supporting D, not just for the big hit, but that heaviness does help, not as fluid with the puck, but that kinda works in his favour as he's just steady and risk free mostly.

6. Soucy - first injury of the Pre, could be just a tweak but also could be 3 weeks+ with a strain, or season with an ACL on that leg take down straight outta MMA. 

7. Demko - ready to rock ! 

8. Will Brocks shot ever return - Odds say no 😞

9. 2nd unit power play is all over the place - needs an identity like last season, which it doesn't seem to have, just not clicking. 

10. Studnika - still not for me, I know Tochett is worried about having 2 smurfs in the lineup but i would much sooner have Hoglander in there. 

11. Final thought: If Myk is still a way off i would play Beau on that first line - He's smart, good shot and can knock pucks free. Also pumping his stats could mean we could sell high by the TDL ( if that is even a thing for this team lol )