[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames at Rogers Arena, Oct 6, 2023, 7pm PDT

Rocket-68

Best part of last night's game was a stress free third period. We had the Flames pretty much under control and we looked more likely to score than they did.

Uberdough was invisible and even the turd Kadri was kept well to the outside.

Glad now that we have Demko, Marky seems to be losing the plot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Good point! 

It's definitely something he can work on/improve. Decision making isn't always on point. I remember when Bieksa took a summer to work on when to pinch/not and consider where the puck is and do a bit of a risk assessment. Myers has some great potential and can be very solid for us if those momentary lapses where he puts himself out of the play are managed a bit better.

When Juulsen was drafted, he had the projection as a top 4d, then injuries really derailed his development. I personally think that he's been pushing too hard as well and trying to do too much in attempt to show he's still relevant.

He had a good year of development last season and if we can keep him with the team, I think there's a good chance that Foote and Gonchar can settle him down as well and he can really find his top 4 potential again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Damage Control Party to Captain Ribs. HMCS CDC has torpedo damage to the stern, and looks like it was a sneak attack. Pumps are barely correcting the list, and I fear she's going to flounder. I'm going to keep going back to try and rescue as many survivors as we can. Captain Vintage says he'll go down with the ship and refuses to leave.

386774012_10160558113145549_332470037247

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Me too (re Tanev). Dad.

Calgary gets away with a lot of "accidentally on purpose" crap. They're good at pretending. I'm not sure grabbing a guy's leg and not letting go, then "falling" on him is really a great hockey play. Sure...battling for the puck and position, but maybe let go of him? Grappling isn't really allowed, is it?

387156342_10160558082270549_455427897701

387155688_10160558082355549_204042557770

387157463_10160558082345549_787292364672

387167770_10160558082430549_346553498596

386748621_10160558082470549_235832288666

I'm convinced he really wasn't battling for the puck at this point:

386709311_10160558082510549_520621406297

385916100_10160558078660549_263927709674

Who is this Sharon Ohbitch on the Flames anyway? Taking a number.

I have no doubts that gooning it up vs us gets these plugs noticed in cowgary.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

My only complaint about Myers is I feel like he focuses (at times) too much on the offensive side of things. He likes/wants to score...which is great. Except when he zings a puck  40' wide of the net and it ricochets around the boards and out and then he's scrambling. 

I do like him and, quite honestly, we'd be worse without him. But some of his decisions leave me wondering....why???

I did love that he got a goal but I really feel like he thinks he's a forward at times. On the plus side, I haven't seen him throwing his big body onto the ice like a speed bump. That's ok on occasion when needed, but not as a go to defensive play. When it works, great...when it doesn't, it makes him ineffective and leaves him out of the play completely.

Thing is, that's ALWAYS been Myers game. It's why I've been saying for years that he needs a solid defensive partner to cover for those risk taking gaffes and brain farts, to have success.

Pair him with an Edler or a Cole in a solid system with puck support, and you have a reasonable 2nd pair, physical, offensively inclined D (prone to the odd unforced error) with good leadership.

Pair him with offensively inclined guys, with no puck support, and you have the $6m train wreck we've watched the last few years.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

41 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Fook Tanev and his stringy hair too, he's guilty by association, and he's the enemy now.

As for Marky, he can go piss up a tree, I'll enjoy watching him regress into oblivion this year.

It would have been nice if he could have waited a little longer for a deal to stay with us. I realize he was offended by being looked over for other options first,but he seemed eager to take an offer from a rival team.Flames of all teams Sheesh. Any way he's the enemy now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

When Juulsen was drafted, he had the projection as a top 4d, then injuries really derailed his development. I personally think that he's been pushing too hard as well and trying to do too much in attempt to show he's still relevant.

He had a good year of development last season and if we can keep him with the team, I think there's a good chance that Foote and Gonchar can settle him down as well and he can really find his top 4 potential again. 

He had a solid game last night.......most nights he does

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Damage Control Party to Captain Ribs. HMCS CDC has torpedo damage to the stern, and looks like it was a sneak attack. Pumps are barely correcting the list, and I fear she's going to flounder. I'm going to keep going back to try and rescue as many survivors as we can. Captain Vintage says he'll go down with the ship and refuses to leave.

opinion puffin GIF

Footage of those of us left

• Like 1

Just now, Ds4quality said:

Having watched this game it had me wondering, are the Canucks good, or are the Flames bad??? 

Coronato for the Flames was buzzing that first period, but after Juulsen hit him, I didn't see much more from him until Joshua's hit. 

The system is good and that's what matters.  Fans hoping to see exciting hockey this season are in for a disappointment........the Canucks are on lockdown

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

He had a solid game last night.......most nights he does

That's awesome, I didn't get a chance to watch, my method of bringing in the game doesn't cover pre-season.

The talent is there with this kid if coaching can help him rediscover it.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Fook Tanev and his stringy hair too, he's guilty by association, and he's the enemy now.

As for Marky, he can go piss up a tree, I'll enjoy watching him regress into oblivion this year.

Yup, screw marky. He’s a piece o crap. He’s definitely missing some Mr . Clarke time. I will always cheer for Tanev . The Canucks didn’t offer him a contract and Marky who turned it down convinced tanev to climb up and join that pile of dung team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

The system is good and that's what matters.  Fans hoping to see exciting hockey this season are in for a disappointment........the Canucks are on lockdown

I get what you're saying but with Pettersson and Hughes out there doing their thing there will still be exciting offense here and there.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

We will see some trap style defense but last nights game hasn’t convinced me it’ll be boring hockey . Our top 6 last night was  off other than Petey IMO. Our top 6 is 2 dynamic  on most nights. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, dannydog said:

We will see some trap style defense but last nights game hasn’t convinced me it’ll be boring hockey . Our top 6 last night was  off other than Petey IMO. Our top 6 is 2 dynamic  on most nights. 

They're not trapping, but they're certainly playing a box +1 in their own end and smothering the middle of the ice.  We'll see teams with good possession time in the Van zone, but few high value scoring chances.

In the ozone, they'll send one guy in hard and another guy in for support and keep a player high looking for turnovers and to allow the dmen to activate.  It's going to be an "opportunistic offense, as opposed to an attack offense.

• Vintage 1

Watching last nights game showed me a couple things.

1 we are not as bad as feared or as bad as many pundits think. Our goaltending can be elite. Demko was good. De Smith is an upgrade on Martin.

Our forwards have always had scoring touch it just comes down to whether we can do it inside Tocchets defense first system. The D is Better even Myers when he isnt expected to be the shut down guy every night and play 26 mins a game.

Hughes Hronek Myers Soucy Cole even Juulsen looked good as a total unit. The D will be better especially if Soucy is healthy.

2 The flames are nowhere near a good team and should really finish below us in the standings. Marky was not that great in that game and has to play better for Calgary to be competitive

they really dont have much pop on offense. scoring 10 against an AHL squad may have given them a bit of over confidence.

There were a lot of breakdowns on D also. Their D like ours doesnt seem to have much depth.

I see them 6th in the division by seasons end.

Right now we will have to have a few things go our way to make the playoffs. I would say it would mildly surprise me if we make it. I think the Division is between Vegas and the Coilers. We could finish 3rd or 6th.LA or Seattle will be fourth but the loser not necessarily 5th. I think we are right there for a spot thru March. The problem is the Central has good teams as well. 

Dallas St Louis and Minny will challenge for a spot as well as Colorado and Winnipeg. I would guess Dallas wins the division with a rejuvenated Avs team right behind Minny  maybe 3rd and then St Louis or Winnipeg challenge for a wild card. Honestly it could be 4 teams from each division this year.

Injuries will play the factor and we have to have a fast start to even be in the conversation.First 20 games if we could get 25-28 points we can challenge. we just cant start like we have the last couple years. Go 12-6 and 2 to start and I will believe.

Edited by Mikeyman109
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Me too (re Tanev). Dad.

Calgary gets away with a lot of "accidentally on purpose" crap. They're good at pretending. I'm not sure grabbing a guy's leg and not letting go, then "falling" on him is really a great hockey play. Sure...battling for the puck and position, but maybe let go of him? Grappling isn't really allowed, is it?

387156342_10160558082270549_455427897701

387155688_10160558082355549_204042557770

387167770_10160558082430549_346553498596

386748621_10160558082470549_235832288666

I'm convinced he really wasn't battling for the puck at this point:

386709311_10160558082510549_520621406297

385916100_10160558078660549_263927709674

Who is this Sharon Ohbitch on the Flames anyway? Taking a number.

Every team's players do this. Every one.

• Confused 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ds4quality said:

Having watched this game it had me wondering, are the Canucks good, or are the Flames bad??? 

Coronato for the Flames was buzzing that first period, but after Juulsen hit him, I didn't see much more from him until Joshua's hit. 

The canucks were at about a B+ to an A-, and the Flames were at about a C+ I'd say but a lot of that was because the Canucks did a good job of making things difficult on them. Really aside from the forecheck and some better offense in terms of execution, we had a fundamentally solid game. That's something this team rarely does and we usually rely on talent.