[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames at Rogers Arena, Oct 6, 2023, 7pm PDT

Rocket-68

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

I don't think Petey is going anywhere tbh. Doesnt even register as a concern to me... especially seeing the positive changes with the club, front staff, coaches, and especially teammates.  If shit went sideways so hard it's like Boudreau 2 electric Boogaloo then yeah, maybe. But I really don't see that happening.

The problem with the blame game on Benning is that the staff had specific direction to "stay competitive." Damn near all those contracts, picks traded away, were all connected to that underlying purpose. Almost like the position at that time was under duress. How much control over a "rebuild" do you really have in that case?  If you listen to the interview with former Canucks AGM Chris Gear he gets into details of why they did what they did at that time: (skipped to the relevant section:

And yeah throw anyone in that same position and I have serious doubts it would have been any different for this club at that time.

As far as Allvin goes, you could argue the actual GM is Jim Rutherford. It's become somewhat the norm that the President of the club are the ones arranging the deals, but the GMs are the ones pulling the trigger and doing the paperwork. Brendan Shanahan in Toronto, Kyle Dubas in Pittsburgh, etc.

I like Patrick Allvin though. I don't really think in terms of better or worse in that sense but i do believe the new front office has basically full carte blanche to do what needs to be done with zero interference from the blueberry man. Just a different situation now.

As for season projections, I already bet another user here 100.00 they are making the playoffs.  😉 And as Rutherford stated at the season open presser, if everything goes right (ie. baring major injury to the stars for prolonged periods) they are a playoff team.  I agree with that.

Especially if Demko is healthy the whole year (knock on wood.)  That's a game changer.

But I certainly understand the skepticism, tempered expectations given the trauma of being a Canucks fan... especially over the past decade. I definitely get it.

Let's hope that Demko remains healthy for the majority of the season. DeSmith, while a better upgrade than what we've had before, is still no starter. We need a really good start to the season. 0-3 start, and well, the fanbase here will begin to panic. 0-5? Hysteria here in Canuck nation. 

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Let's hope that Demko remains healthy for the majority of the season. DeSmith, while a better upgrade than what we've had before, is still no starter. We need a really good start to the season. 0-3 start, and well, the fanbase here will begin to panic. 0-5? Hysteria here in Canuck nation.

Goalie will be important... but not nearly as important as it was under Boudreau.

Perhaps not a matter of if they lose...but rather HOW they lose when they do. Blown out? Terrible everything? Or losing by a goal on a bad bounce kinda thing.

I think the most important thing to look at these first 10 games are the details of play and not even neccessarily the stats sheets or win loss record as a whole. Taking the same approach as the end of last season. Continuation of steady structured play, cut and dry expectations and execution of assignments.

As for panic, people were already doing that for preseason games. lol

I reckon feather pluckers will always be feather pluckers, whether it's warranted or not. 

Sesame Street Idk GIF