[Waivers] October 6, 2023

I really wanted McIsaac his draft year. But it seems his development has stalled just as much as Woo.

Bjork is definitely intriguing. He isn't the PK presence or physical force that Peeke is, but seems he can still do both things 

Edited by Diamonds

Just now, Coconuts said:

Canucks fans dreaming of waivers working out for them like..

Basurera GIFs | Tenor

There's some legit decent players that will be waived before the season opener. Sure guys like Bjork probably have at best mid-pair upside...but he's better than the guy we're currently penciling in to play next to Hughes, and can slide down to 3rd pair when Myers is gone should we actually acquire a legit first pair D.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Canucks fans dreaming of waivers working out for them like..

Basurera GIFs | Tenor

Tolvanen worked out pretty good for the Kraken. But I agree you can’t expect a whole lot from waiver wire pickups.

However for what we need, the player doesn’t have to be great they just need to be a fit and an upgrade over what we have. That really shouldn’t be hard to find. Big mobile stay at home guy that makes a good first pass. Those players are somewhat common.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Diamonds said:

I really wanted McIsaac his draft year. But it seems his development has stalled just as much as Woo.

Bjork is definitely intriguing. He isn't the PK presence or physical force that Peeke, but seems he can still do both things 

Credit to Woo though, it did look like his development had completely stalled before last year. He took so decent steps to give himself a chance at a NHL career last year.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Tolvanen worked out pretty good for the Kraken. But I agree you can’t expect a whole lot from waiver wire pickups.

However for what we need, the player doesn’t have to be great they just need to be a fit and an upgrade over what we have. That really shouldn’t be hard to find. Big mobile stay at home guy that makes a good first pass. Those players are somewhat common.

Yeah, i think some people are making perfection the enemy of good. Is a guy like Bjork likely a long term fit as a legit 1st pair partner for Hughes...? No. Is he better than what we're otherwise playing him with given our current roster construction? Ayyup.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's some legit decent players that will be waived before the season opener. Sure guys like Bjork probably have at best mid-pair upside...but he's better than the guy we're currently penciling in to play next to Hughes, and can slide down to 3rd pair when Myers is gone should we actually acquire a legit first pair D.

You're not wrong, I'm mostly just poking fun.

Bjork could be interesting but we may see other interesting names soon too. I do think we end up swapping Rathbone for someone though, could see a couple new faces here sooner than later. 

Maybe someday we'll be flush enough that we're the ones concerned about losing close to NHL talent. 

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don't think the Preds thought they'd lose Tolvanen, or I at least recall them hoping he would go unclaimed. Tolvanen has flourished given a change of scenery but it typically doesn't work out that way. 

Feels like we're rearranging deck chairs but at least it shows management is invested in trying to find what they feel is the right fit on the bottom pairing, the bottom pairing is where you can afford to have players with spots in their games if their strengths are a fit for the roster. 

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, i think some people are making perfection the enemy of good. Is a guy like Bjork likely a long term fit as a legit 1st pair partner for Hughes...? No. Is he better than what we're otherwise playing him with given our current roster construction? Ayyup.

The more I think about it the more I am willing to give up an asset to get a better Dman. Bjork is a great free grab to be the 7th Dman but he had tons of turnovers last year and doesnt play the PK. We do need one more NHL player who can hold his own playing top 4 minutes. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

You're running the risk of a team like San Jose or Chicago claiming them though.

Yeah, we aren't the only ones looking to improve. Some of these players are in the verge of being better than what we have in depth, so if we get one early and get a chance at a better player later, I'm not upset. We would still have lots of time to create contract space for other gambles throughout the year.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yup, he sounds like a nice fit with Hughes. He may not have the legit 1st pair ceiling/pedigree we'd all prefer there...but those guys don't get placed on waivers for free. And he's better than what we're penciling in to play there now...

And if/when we do find a legit Hughes partner, he can slide down to replace the expiring Myers eventually.

We could do worse than picking up a 25 year old RHD with size/grit, skating, decent hands/IQ that plays a relatively safe/solid, minimal mistakes game.

For those curious, his scouting report:

The big Swedish defenseman arrived in North America after four seasons as a regular in the SHL. He adapted quickly to the smaller rinks and faster pace of play. He is smart and poised with the puck, and is not afraid to be physical. Though he is unlikely to produce a ton of offense, his shot and puck-moving skills should help him grow into an NHL regular.

Take wins where we can get them, absolutely. If there's a style match where he could work better for now, you try it and give McWard bigger minutes in the AHL to develop.

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Or keep both and waive Juulsen...

Same as with McWard, liking our prospects because, well, they're our prospects shouldn't prevent us from improving. Juulsen can step in with Hughes but is still a replacement level player who didn't show he was taking the next step this preseason. There's no shame in being depth just behind the top 700 NHL players in the world.

Edited by elvis15
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Rekker said:

This, the time is now and especially next season. I'd dangle our first + and see who bites. 

Ooh, no. I don't dangle it, but if the right deal came along (a la Miller or Hronek) I could consider it. We're tight to add an established player like that though until we lose contracts like Meyers, and there aren't many cost controlled young players other teams would give up for that price.

5 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Ooh, no. I don't dangle it, but if the right deal came along (a la Miller or Hronek) I could consider it. We're tight to add an established player like that though until we lose contracts like Meyers, and there aren't many cost controlled young players other teams would give up for that price.

That's what I mean though. Hronek cost a first plus. Alvin let's it be known the first is available for a deal for the right dman. Maybe Myers has to go back in the deal.

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

That's what I mean though. Hronek cost a first plus. Alvin let's it be known the first is available for a deal for the right dman. Maybe Myers has to go back in the deal.

But I don't offer it up. It could well be asked for in the negotiation for a deal, but I don't dangle it as a starting point.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The more I think about it the more I am willing to give up an asset to get a better Dman. Bjork is a great free grab to be the 7th Dman but he had tons of turnovers last year and doesnt play the PK. We do need one more NHL player who can hold his own playing top 4 minutes. 

That would be great.

But we don't assets to trade that will bring any return. And we need all the picks we can get.

28 minutes ago, Rekker said:

This, the time is now and especially next season. I'd dangle our first + and see who bites. 

A first is too rich for me, this team is not in a position to not have first round picks. I was thinking maybe a 2nd at most as we can always add Bear back in the mix when he returns from injury if he wants to sign with us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

A first is too rich for me, this team is not in a position to not have first round picks. I was thinking maybe a 2nd at most as we can always add Bear back in the mix when he returns from injury if he wants to sign with us. 

I think if we have any hope of extending EP, it's got to happen now. Imho.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Bear is a bottom pairing Dman.  We can get one of those on waivers.  We need someone who can play in the top 4 and has some size and snarl to him.  Bear isn't that guy.  He's plan b or plan c at this point...

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

That was my thought too.  Bjork on the 3rd pairing next year with Soucy would be an ideal 3rd pairing.  Then next summer you go into free agency and get a Brenden Dillon or Nikita Zadorov to play with Hronek.  Then you find a guy for Hughes.  Eventually Willander and D-Petey will come in long term.

We need to build this defence one player at a time.  Hronek, Cole, Soucy and then Bjork all obtained for this year would be a huge upgrade from our defence last year.  Then next summer we keep building...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1