Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Israel has planes and artillery from the US. They also have nukes. I doubt our 4 helicopters would actually scare them.  😆

Well we also have planes and artillery from the United States. Obviously I under stand the humor but the point I'm making is you don't threaten peacekeepers. Even in their war with Egypt a high up Egyptian I can't remember who went to the top Canadian general and told the peacekeepers to leave instead of slaughtering them. It was actually that Canadian general that had told the Egyptian that he was making a big mistake and he wouldn't like the outcome of this conflict. That Canadian general was 100% accurate.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Israel has planes and artillery from the US. They also have nukes. I doubt our 4 helicopters would actually scare them.  😆

We can just tell them Canadians are no longer feeling the urge to say sorry. That might work but it might also bring the end times. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So if you are 54 and this is how you respond to people when they ask you legitimate question. I don't think they are the problem I think you are.

it's not legitimate to ask someone's credentials in this context. 

It's just an attempt to delegitimize them. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Roman has family back in Israel. I would imagine this is a very difficult time for him and he is probably very concerned about his family right now. 

And yes he probably knows more than most of us. He’s on the Israeli side obviously but right now we are dealing with basically a terrorist attack on the Israeli people from Hamas. 

It’s the equivalent of how Americans felt after 9/11. Would you be attacking Americans and taking the side of the terrorists after 9/11?

The first thing I said that morning to my roommate was I'm not surprised that this happened. I'm not saying that was the right thing to say. I'm telling you what I did say. Just like what took place the other day it wasn't right but I'm not surprised. Palestinians feel like they are being attacked by terrorists every day. Your two state solution in my opinion is the only path to peace

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Roman has family back in Israel. I would imagine this is a very difficult time for him and he is probably very concerned about his family right now. 

And yes he probably knows more than most of us. He’s on the Israeli side obviously but right now we are dealing with basically a terrorist attack on the Israeli people from Hamas. 

It’s the equivalent of how Americans felt after 9/11. Would you be attacking Americans and taking the side of the terrorists after 9/11?

I don't feel like anyone is taking sides in this conflict.

Both sides are responsible for the failure for peace in this region.

I think most posters are just sad with the innocent loss of life.  Frustrated that peace is still not established in this region.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

The first thing I said that morning to my roommate was I'm not surprised that this happened. I'm not saying that was the right thing to say. I'm telling you what I did say. Just like what took place the other day it wasn't right but I'm not surprised. Palestinians feel like they are being attacked by terrorists every day. Your two state solution in my opinion is the only path to peace

Many Israeli politician in minority position... have also been saying the same thing. Even they are not surprised.....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Many Israeli politician in minority position... have also been saying the same thing. Even they are not surprised.....

This is just it and your earlier post is spot on as well. It's actually Roman That is the only one taking sides. I think the rest of us have been quite clear. While we condemn this, we need to be realistic and understand. Israel plays a big role in all of this as well.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Again, this would be accurate but there's no excuses that should be made. It's an online forum. If it'll make you that heated, don't come on. Would he be willing to give somebody the same benefit of the doubt if they lived in, let's say Gaza city and we're commenting in this thread with a different point of view?

I guess it would depend if the person from Gaza was pro-Hamas or pro-Palestine and wanted peace. 

You’d get two different points of view and perhaps two different reactions from him. I don’t know for certain since I can’t speak for him. 

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is just it and your earlier post is spot on as well. It's actually Roman That is the only one taking sides. I think the rest of us have been quite clear. While we condemn this, we need to be realistic and understand. Israel plays a big role in all of this as well.

Do the civilians play a role? How about all the kids at that singing event? Are they in some way responsible for the actions of HAMAS? 

I wonder how things would have transpired the last two decades if Fatah won control of Gaza instead of Hamas. Fatah was at least willing to work with Israel. Would we have seen a blockade like we saw Israel/Egypt implement after Hamas took over Gaza? Would the massacre in Israel have happened? Would there be less death than what we’ve seen today?  

Perhaps but we’ll never know. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I never like hearing that term " solution " in relation to a group/ race of people.

It always reminds me of the final solution

Remember when Howard introduced the " Pacific solution " ? 

The shame still burns over 20 years later.

Your choice of words, not mine.

I was referring to their own country, sovereign borders , rights, ability to conduct trade, its own legal responsibilities. Liberties not offered now. Not part of Egypt. I would wish the same for Kurdish people and others. Considering Hamas? As I would Hezbollah, perhaps as part of Lebanon should they be wanted. Independence for West Bank an issue too tricky for me where I would prefer a multicultural solution. Should a peace treaty be agreed; part and parcel agree to a full arms embargo, perhaps a UN peace keeping force for a reasonable period of time; like Germany & Japan after WWII. Kurds, who in a different light probably deserve the right to defend themselves.

Trials for war criminals amongst & again UN monitoring to set up administration, ideally democracy, so said criminals don't just become dictators & warlords all over. 

Actual solutions.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I wonder how things would have transpired the last two decades if Fatah won control of Gaza instead of Hamas. Fatah was at least willing to work with Israel. Would we have seen a blockade like we saw Israel/Egypt implement after Hamas took over Gaza? Would the massacre in Israel have happened? Would there be less death than what we’ve seen today?  

Perhaps but we’ll never know. 

It would definitely be different. Fatah are just corrupt, they only care about money for themselves. Hamas are ideological fanatics with a single goal in mind.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I didn't ask him anything other than why he shares a similar position to the Soviet Union.

i'm referring to what the other poster asked, which you defended. But you did equate Roman with Putin which is even clumsier. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

It would definitely be different. Fatah are just corrupt, they only care about money for themselves. Hamas are ideological fanatics with a single goal in mind.

I do believe that as long as Hamas is a significant player there’s no outcome that isn’t bloody. All sides are corrupt but Hamas are the ones that won’t ever stop. It may only end with one side claiming total victory and that will result in the deaths of more innocents. 

My worry is that Israel’s retribution will push more Palestinians toward Hamas. It seems more likely of becoming a vicious cycle that will end in death and destruction. You can’t expect Israel not to retaliate. This was a significant attack. 

I do not know how this is even capable of a peaceful resolution anymore. The massacre in Israel set this back decades. 

• Like 1