Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

23 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm willing to bet that the average Palestinian won't get any groceries, electricity or medicine, but I bet you Hamas members all have that stuff in stockpile hidden away underground. 

Pretty sure targeting civilians with collective punishment is a War Crime by  international standard .......   in response to  war crimes committed by Hamas.

Both sides in this conflict are horrific.    So thankful i live in Canada where we are trying hard to reconcile the dark parts of our past history ( truth and reconcilation ) 

Edited by moosehead

2 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Pretty sure targeting civilians with collective punishment is a War Crime by  international standard .......   in response to  war crimes committed by Hamas.

Both sides in this conflict are horrific. 

Hamas isn't part of any international standards group and countries like Canada Want to see the death and destruction of Hamas anyways. So I don't really think that they stand up for any sort of decency.

Edited by Ryan Strome

1 minute ago, moosehead said:

Both sides in this conflict are horrific. 

Israel isn’t targeting Palestinians though. 

That’s the difference. 

Also, HAMAS, isn’t any kind of political party that can be detained and brought up for war crimes. They’re a terrorist group at this point. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

That’s the difference. 

Also, HAMAS, isn’t any kind of political party that can be detained and brought up for war crimes. They’re a terrorist group at this point. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hamas isn't part of any international standards group and countries like Canada Want to see the death and destruction of Hamas anyways. So I don't really think that they stand up for any sort of decency.

Exactly what I said! The issue though is the average Palestinian will pay the price think we agree on that. Hamas probably has stockpiles of groceries and medicine given to them from Iran. So they will be fine but kids and women and the elderly will suffer. Pretty pathetic as a human race. This has been going on for so long with all the countries in the world and we can't solve it.

25 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm willing to bet that the average Palestinian won't get any groceries, electricity or medicine, but I bet you Hamas members all have that stuff in stockpile hidden away underground. 

Hamas saying the attacks are because of attacks on civilians, then proceed to hide behind civilians… after attacking civilians. 

Just a bunch of cowards. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Really.  

So i guess this isn't true...

Israel is bombing the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, ordering a “complete siege” with no electricity, fuel or food allowed inside, as they hunt down the Palestinian militants responsible for the massive terror attack that left hundreds dead. Lester Holt anchors from Tel Aviv with the latest reporting. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Really.  

Israel is bombing the Hamas-run Gaza Strip, ordering a “complete siege” with no electricity, fuel or food allowed inside, as they hunt down the Palestinian militants responsible for the massive terror attack that left hundreds dead. Lester Holt anchors from Tel Aviv with the latest reporting. 

Israel isn’t targeting Palestinian civilians with their military apparatus. 

HAMAS is. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

That’s the difference. 

Both sides in this conflict are horrible. No appreciation for human life. 

The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) said late Monday its emergency shelters in Gaza are at 90% capacity with more than 137,000 people taking cover from Israeli strikes.

The agency said 83 UNRWA schools have been turned into shelters.

It said that one UN school housing displaced families was "directly hit," without giving further details. It's unknown how many people were in the shelter at the time of the attack.

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-gaza-attack-10-09-23/index.html

Edited by moosehead
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Really.  

When HAMAS uses its own people as human shields, they know what they’re doing. 

They’re a terrorist group that is looking at their own survival first and foremost. Their own people are collateral damage, used to recruit new fighters. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 3

On 10/7/2023 at 11:01 PM, eeeeeeeeergh said:

i get your point but a pragmatic solution means someone needs to compromise

what do palestinians have left to compromise with? they have nothing left to give. theyve lost their land, and more of the west bank is being settled everyday. They have nothing that Israel wants, other than to "stop fighting". Its not like the palestinians are sitting on any bargaining chips they can trade with. 

So the pragmatic solution/compromise is probably something like: ceasefire in exchange for a week of peace talks, and ceasefire continues if theres a settlement freeze and complete non-military goods are allowed to be imported into gaza. 

the sad thing is - hamas knew exactly how israel was going to respond, and its going to be a massive disproportionate response. Israel is probably going to carpet bomb the living daylights out of Gaza and accelerate even more settlements. My guess is Hamas is banking on the response sparking some moral outrage from the rest of the world which might force Israel back to the table. Either way, a lot of people are going to die

Both sides have to compromise to end wars 

that’s how it works. Both sides don’t get everything they want, that’s how compromise works 

the issue here is neither side is willing to compromise given the history because neither side is will to accept both sides have been wrong 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

HAMAS is. 

Sure but that’s an oversimplification 

The blockades have hurt 2 mil people for decades 

land has been taken 

and at the same time Hamas has been a terrorist 

to suggest one side is to blame is silly 

both are 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The more I think about this, I think that they're going to have the absolute conquering of the Gaza strip. It will turn into probably 50 years of stationed Israeli troops there that'll come under random attacks often. 

Peaceful two-state solution would be ideal, but the more I think about it it seems like it would be unlikely that Netanyahu can allow Hamas to ever exist again. I guess I see now why so many writers are saying it's going to get really bad before it gets better.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

The more I think about this, I think that they're going to have the absolute conquering of the Gaza strip. It will turn into probably 50 years of stationed Israeli troops. There that'll come under random attacks often. 

Peaceful two-state solution would be ideal, but the more I think about it it seems like it would be unlikely that Netanyahu can allow Hamas to ever exist again. I guess I see now why so many writers are saying it's going to get really bad before it gets better.

4 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

land has been taken 

both are 

Canadians like to over simplify things and blame one side.   

Fact is both sides are to blame in this 70  - 100 year year conflict. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, BlockerHigh said:

land has been taken 

both are 

Israel doesn’t have clean hands. I agree wholeheartedly. 

The international community is culpable as well. 

The average Palestinian is just fodder for their politics. 

I get it. 

I agree. 

A movie that has so many great quotes that are applicable to this situation is Kingdom of Heaven. 

Who is to blame? No one, everyone.

What is it worth? 

image.gif.a418bd82de6bedc4c8d1590fc483ce57.gif

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes he was shouting at them and telling them they were terrorists and supporting the killing of innocent women and children. They were laughing back at him. 

If the protests are legal then the protesting of the protesters should be legal too. What law did he break? Breach of peace?  You can arrest anyone for a breach of peace if they are yelling on the street. Happens every day in Vancouver. 

Where those people celebrating Hamas or were they protesting Gaza getting bombed? If it's the latter then that guy is wrong to mess with them. 

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

That’s the difference. 

Tbh the reason the issue makes my blood boil so much is the IDF has targeted civilians. It was the original tactic used to steal homes from the locals (see Deir Yassin massacre as an example) and up until 2002, using human shields was a literal policy of the IDF (public knowledge, can Google to verify). The weapons used (air strikes, drones, etc) on residential buildings and civilians are chosen because, not in spite of, the collateral damage they cause. See the choice to use white phosphorous instead of less war-crimey smokescreen options.

Israel then turns around and says they had to flatten a building because a hamas member lived in that building. This is the reality that friends of mine have lived under for the past 20 years. All either have a relative friends who have had a child gunned down by an IDF soldier, or died in an airstrike. Some even die in refugee camps, where they currently live because they were cleansed from their homes in 1948 to make way for the state of Israel. 

2 million people who can never go home, because Europeans and North Americans came in and declared the land their own. Half live in an open air prison (Gaza) and half live in apartheid conditions (the West Bank, in cities like Hebron). 

To put this in context: my Jewish wife who was not born in Israel, can go get Israeli citizenship and make a home there.

My best whose family lives in Hebron, has to take a separate road from Israeli settlers to go home, enforced by the IDF. 700k people who fled actual terrorism by Irgun (the organization that founded the state of Israel, did Deir Yassin, etc) cannot go back to where they came from because it’s now called Israel. My wife on the other hand, who has no connection to the Middle East at all other than Jewish heritage can go get a passport and settle in those lands. 

Murdering civilians is never ok. Hamas deserves to be wiped out for what they did. 

There will however be no end to violence until the original and continuing injustices are addressed.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BlockerHigh said:

Both sides have to compromise to end wars 

that’s how it works. Both sides don’t get everything they want, that’s how compromise works 

the issue here is neither side is willing to compromise given the history because neither side is will to accept both sides have been wrong 

Normally I’d agree but what does Palestine have left to compromise with? Like what specifically do they have that they can give Israel in a compromise/negotiation? 

as far as I know it’s nothing. They have nothing Israel wants. Israel already got all the land it wanted, and freely takes more as desired (ongoing settlement building in the West Bank). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Canadians like to over simplify things and blame one side.   

Fact is both sides are to blame in this 70  - 100 year year conflict. 

Fact is that one side just killed 900 people from the other side.  So, you need to stay up to date on what's happening versus using the everyone is bad and is to blame card.  

This was the worst attack in Israel's history and now they have every right to defend themselves.  By saying that the Israeli's are bombing Palestinians you are using a whataboutism and it's not really helping the situation.  We all know what Hamas is capable of and the tv is all propaganda.  For all we know Hamas is starving its own people and using them as human shields...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

HAMAS is. 

Except they literally are…

They are bombarding the entire area and flattening apartment buildings.

It is one of the most densely populated regions on the planet.  Dropping bombs is targeting civilians.  Cutting off electricity, food, medicine, and making sure their hospitals can’t function while at the same time killing and injuring thousands of civilians is targeting civilians.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I would support heavy heavy sanctions to Russian levels on iran ASAP

Those should have been implemented as soon as Iran decided to supply the orcs with drones and missiles.  I'd prefer precision strikes against their nuclear research facilities, the drone factories, and their government buildings to accompany the sanctions at this point.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fact is that one side just killed 900 people from the other side.  So, you need to stay up to date on what's happening versus using the everyone is bad and is to blame card.  

This was the worst attack in Israel's history and now they have every right to defend themselves.  By saying that the Israeli's are bombing Palestinians you are using a whataboutism and it's not really helping the situation.  We all know what Hamas is capable of and the tv is all propaganda.  For all we know Hamas is starving its own people and using them as human shields...

Yes Hamas terrorists have killed over 900 innocent civilians.  This is horrific.

Now we will see Israel kill likely 5000 innocent palestinians civilians.

This conflict is disgusting.  A peaceful compromise needs to be negotiated. 

• Like 1