Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That is what I call it half an hour after my morning coffee.

There were more hostages released in some sort of deal, so that could have been it.

Why in the heck does HAMAS take 80-90 year old people as hostages? And, then call them prisoners of war? 
Yes, the people of Gaza are treated badly. But what exactly did these old people do to be taken as Prisoner’s of War? 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why in the heck does HAMAS take 80-90 year old people as hostages? And, then call them prisoners of war? 
Yes, the people of Gaza are treated badly. But what exactly did these old people do to be taken as Prisoner’s of War? 

Same thing Palestinians, including the elderly and children have done for the last few decades.

Killing Palestinians has been a sport for Israeli settlers for years and they push their borders farther and farther.

Just google “Palestinian children killed by Israeli settlers”… and put in different years to get pages and pages of different stories.  That doesn’t even count the co-ordinated extra judicial killings that the police and military do in support of settlement expansion.

It is literally a fad for settlers to run down Palestinian kids on their way to school in “hit and runs”.  

I don’t know if “treated badly” covers it.  This didn’t all start a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

Same thing Palestinians, including the elderly and children have done for the last few decades.

Killing Palestinians has been a sport for Israeli settlers for years and they push their borders farther and farther.

Just google “Palestinian children killed by Israeli settlers”… and put in different years to get pages and pages of different stories.  That doesn’t even count the co-ordinated extra judicial killings that the police and military do in support of settlement expansion.

It is literally a fad for settlers to run down Palestinian kids on their way to school in “hit and runs”.  

I don’t know if “treated badly” covers it.  This didn’t all start a couple of weeks ago.

STATUS OF SETTLEMENTS UNDER INTERNATIONAL LAW

Israel’s policy of settling its civilians in occupied Palestinian territory and displacing the local population contravenes fundamental rules of international humanitarian law.

Article 49 of the Fourth Geneva Convention states: “The Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies.” It also prohibits the “individual or mass forcible transfers, as well as deportations of protected persons from occupied territory”.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2019/01/chapter-3-israeli-settlements-and-international-law/

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

SUSTAINED INTERNATIONAL CONDEMNATION

Most states and international bodies have long recognized that Israeli settlements are illegal under international law. The European Union (EU) has clearly stated that: “settlement building anywhere in the occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, is illegal under international law, constitutes an obstacle to peace and threatens to make a two-state solution impossible.”

The settlements have been condemned as illegal in many UN Security Council and other UN resolutions. As early as 1980, UN Security Council Resolution 465 called on Israel “to dismantle the existing settlements and, in particular, to cease, on an urgent basis, the establishment, construction and planning of settlements in the Arab territories occupied since 1967, including

Jerusalem.” The International Committee of the Red Cross and the Conference of High Contracting Parties to the Fourth Geneva Convention have reaffirmed that settlements violate international humanitarian law. The illegality of the settlements was recently reaffirmed by UN Security Council Resolution 2334, passed inDecember 2016, which reiterates the Security Council’s call on Israel to cease all settlement activities in the OPT. The serious human rights violations that stem from Israeli settlements have also been repeatedly raised and condemned by international bodies and experts.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2019/01/chapter-3-israeli-settlements-and-international-law/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

ONTARIO POLITICS

Sarah Jama has been ejected from NDP caucus over Israel-Hamas comments

Two weeks after Sarah Jama released a statement on the Israel-Hamas war — which called for a ceasefire, focused on the plight of Palestinians under occupation and did not condemn the Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel — Ontario NDP Leader Marit Stiles ejected the rookie from the party caucus. While Jama had refused to retract her statement, she later apologized to the Jewish community and added she unequivocally condemns terrorism by Hamas. The MP was also censured Monday, meaning she cannot speak in the legislature unless she retracts and removes her statement and apologizes in the house, Rob Ferguson reports.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Massive rocket barrage on Tel Aviv leaves over a million Israelis scrambling for shelter

https://www.the-express.com/news/world-news/116132/hamas-rocket-barrage-tel-aviv-israel

The Golan Heights are being mortared too, from IRGC elements in Syria. My heart is with the 1256 UN Disengagement Observer Force peacekeepers in the region, Nepalese, Uruguayan, Indian, Fijian and Irish UN troops, with a handful from Ghana, Bhutan, Czechia, Zambia and Argentina. Relative safety but living in the OPS bunker for a week during some b.s. was no fun while I was in the Golan for a spell. Not too many years ago ISIS seized a bus full of these Peacekeepers and thankfully it was resolved with as little harm as could be for the international troops.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Black Canadian MP gets suspended for speaking out against Apartheid.  She was only agreeing with UN statements on Israeli policy..     Shame on Canada. 

Edited by moosehead
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Don't make a statement.

Don't agree with this.

Don't nod your head in approval of this MPPs words or stance.

Don't agree with the UN or respected intellectuals or survivors.

Don't agree with Haaretz.

Don't speak out against apartheid or expansionism.

If you do.

You will be labeled anti-semitic.

You will be privately messaged.

Then.

The hammer will come for you.

Edited by Warhippy

Just now, moosehead said:

Why. I thought Canada allowed free speech ? My  grandpa fought in WW 2  for freedom. 

We do not allow freedom of speech we allow freedom of expression which is almost identical except there are in fact laws against hate speech.

Any and all spoken words against Israeli expansion or treatment of Palestine and the annexation of their land or the comparison to apartheid actions over the past 6 decades will have you labeled.  Have claims you are engaging in hate speech.  Have you backed in to a corner with claims that you want Israel to cease to exist.

You can have your freedom of expression but only when it conforms to a certain level of bias or preference from the controlling bodies.  Otherwise, you will be censured for your mere opinions and trotted out or black listed while your mere statements become twisted enough to have that behaviour justified

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We do not allow freedom of speech we allow freedom of expression which is almost identical except there are in fact laws against hate speech.

Any and all spoken words against Israeli expansion or treatment of Palestine and the annexation of their land or the comparison to apartheid actions over the past 6 decades will have you labeled.  Have claims you are engaging in hate speech.  Have you backed in to a corner with claims that you want Israel to cease to exist.

You can have your freedom of expression but only when it conforms to a certain level of bias or preference from the controlling bodies.  Otherwise, you will be censured for your mere opinions and trotted out or black listed while your mere statements become twisted enough to have that behaviour justified

I am pro Israel.     But also i am pro 2 state solution . Peace for all. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Don't make a statement.

Don't agree with this.

If you do.

Then.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/04/04/human-rights-and-other-civil-society-groups-urge-united-nations-respect-human

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2023/04/global-un-must-respect-human-rights-while-combatting-antisemitism/

4 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

The Golan Heights are being mortared too, from IRGC elements in Syria. My heart is with the 1256 UN Disengagement Observer Force peacekeepers in the region, Nepalese, Uruguayan, Indian, Fijian and Irish UN troops, with a handful from Ghana, Bhutan, Czechia, Zambia and Argentina. Relative safety but living in the OPS bunker for a week during some b.s. was no fun while I was in the Golan for a spell. Not too many years ago ISIS seized a bus full of these Peacekeepers and thankfully it was resolved with as little harm as could be for the international troops.

Really appreciate the personal insight here.  These peacekeepers do great work and are the only practical way forward long-term.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moosehead said:

Why. I thought Canada allowed free speech ? My  grandpa fought in WW 2  for freedom. 

There’s no Constitutional enshrined ‘free speech’ in Canada. Hate speech for one is an example that ‘free speech’ is free speech. 

Also, your grandad had freedom. He fought for the freedom of others, which was predominantly the impetus of fighting the Nazis and Fascists. 

10 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

ONTARIO POLITICS

Sarah Jama has been ejected from NDP caucus over Israel-Hamas comments

Two weeks after Sarah Jama released a statement on the Israel-Hamas war — which called for a ceasefire, focused on the plight of Palestinians under occupation and did not condemn the Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel — Ontario NDP Leader Marit Stiles ejected the rookie from the party caucus. While Jama had refused to retract her statement, she later apologized to the Jewish community and added she unequivocally condemns terrorism by Hamas. The MP was also censured Monday, meaning she cannot speak in the legislature unless she retracts and removes her statement and apologizes in the house, Rob Ferguson reports.

Yeah, I completely disagree with this action.

Yes, you can tell members of your party how to vote on bills (that's what Whips are for) but you shouldn't be able to tell them how they have to think. (BTW: I'd say this exact thing, no matter whether she supported Hamas, or Israel)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Don't make a statement.

Don't agree with this.

If you do.

Then.

That’s awfully cynical of you. 

I for one think BiBi has a lot to be blamed for. 

I also think the Settler expansion was unjustified. The attack by Hamas is also unjustified. The bombs killing Palestinians is also unjustified. 

No one is in the right. 

The sooner everyone acknowledges that and doesn’t try to pick one side over another, like some team sport, the better discussions will be here, there and everywhere. 

No one ought to be banned for having an opinion that discusses the topic with a mature bent to those opinions. 

Flamming, insulting, provoking, trolling, and generally being a dick, will have repercussions though. Pretty sure I made that crystal clear. 

• Like 1