Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

We do not allow freedom of speech we allow freedom of expression which is almost identical except there are in fact laws against hate speech.

Any and all spoken words against Israeli expansion or treatment of Palestine and the annexation of their land or the comparison to apartheid actions over the past 6 decades will have you labeled.  Have claims you are engaging in hate speech.  Have you backed in to a corner with claims that you want Israel to cease to exist.

You can have your freedom of expression but only when it conforms to a certain level of bias or preference from the controlling bodies.  Otherwise, you will be censured for your mere opinions and trotted out or black listed while your mere statements become twisted enough to have that behaviour justified

It needn't be that way though, I question the immediacy with which people conflate being critical of Israeli government, policies, actions, and so on with being antisemitic or wishing that Israel would cease to exist. It's a big jump and a slippery slope.

Language matters, as the articles I links I shared with you earlier point out. 

The Hamas assaults have drawn the world's eye, eventually something else will come along and that focus will shift. The Ukraine/Russia war was a hot topic for a while, but while it's ongoing and receives coverage and so on public coverage seems less of a mainstream discourse than it initially was. That can likely be attributed to news fatigue in part, it'll likely happen with this conflict as well. This isn't of course, to say there aren't people following it or that news doesn't continue to hit outlets, but it's not uncommon for folks to get tired of tracking news. Particularly when the news is often grim. 

But the scenario was ongoing before this most recent Hamas assault catapulted it back into mainstream consciousness. Humans rights organizations, UN affiliates and so on have been speaking to this beforehand, and will continue to once what is currently heightened interest subsides.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/03/1114702

https://www.ohchr.org/en/special-procedures/sr-palestine

https://www.ohchr.org/en/special-procedures-human-rights-council

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Don't make a statement.

Don't agree with this.

Don't nod your head in approval of this MPPs words or stance.

Don't agree with the UN or respected intellectuals or survivors.

Don't agree with Haaretz.

Don't speak out against apartheid or expansionism.

If you do.

You will be labeled anti-semitic.

You will be privately messaged.

Then.

The hammer will come for you.

But Canada's official stance is for a two state solution. Sorry, Hip she said something stupid and her Ontario NDP caucus booted her because it didn't align with Ontario NDP values. 

2 hours ago, moosehead said:

Black Canadian MP gets suspended for speaking out against Apartheid.  She was only agreeing with UN statements on Israeli policy..     Shame on Canada. 

who cares what her background is? The Ontario NDP deemed her views out of alignment with the party and acted accordingly. 

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

That’s awfully cynical of you. 

I for one think BiBi has a lot to be blamed for. 

I also think the Settler expansion was unjustified. The attack by Hamas is also unjustified. The bombs killing Palestinians is also unjustified. 

No one is in the right. 

The sooner everyone acknowledges that and doesn’t try to pick one side over another, like some team sport, the better discussions will be here, there and everywhere. 

No one ought to be banned for having an opinion that discusses the topic with a mature bent to those opinions. 

Flamming, insulting, provoking, trolling, and generally being a dick, will have repercussions though. Pretty sure I made that crystal clear. 

I'm not gonna scroll back.  No point.

I'll be one of those what do you call em.  Lurkers from here on out.

Safer that way because pointing things out wouldn't be appreciated wanted or the like reasons

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Edited by Warhippy

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

who cares what her background is? The Ontario NDP deemed her views out of alignment with the party and acted accordingly. 

See below 

Twitter Thread GIF by Banco Itaú

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Don't make a statement.

Don't agree with this.

Don't nod your head in approval of this MPPs words or stance.

Don't agree with the UN or respected intellectuals or survivors.

Don't agree with Haaretz.

Don't speak out against apartheid or expansionism.

If you do.

You will be labeled anti-semitic.

You will be privately messaged.

Then.

The hammer will come for you.

• Like 2

“We are dropping hundreds of tons of bombs in Gaza. The focus is on destruction, not accuracy”. - Daniel Hagari, Israeli army spokesperson dated October 10th.

“We will turn Gaza (2.5M population) into an island of ruins” Benjamin Fuckface Netanyahu.

“… now, there is only one goal: Nakba (complete expulsion of Palestinians). A nakba of Gaza that will dwarf the nakba of 1948.” - Ariel Kallner, Israeli politician of the Likud party” - October 7th on Twitter.

“It is an entire nation that is responsible. This rhetoric of supposedly civilians not being involved is absolutely untrue (…) and we will fight until we break their backs”. - Yitzhak Herzog, President of Israel, during a press conference to international press.

“There will be no electricity, no food, no fuel, everything is closed. We are fighting animal people, and we are acting accordingly”. - Yoav Gallant, defense minister of Israel, October 9th in a televised press.

“Jericho missile! Doomsday weapon! That’s my opinion. Powerful rockets to be fired without borders, Gaza to be smashed and razed to the ground. Without mercy.” - Tally Gotliv, Israeli politician of Likud party, October 9th.

“Wipe out their families, their mothers, and their children. These animals (referring to Palestinians in Gaza) must not be allowed to live any longer”. - Ezra Yachin, Israeli army veteran

“I want to tell the world what they have long known about me in Israel. I don’t care about Gaza. I literally don’t care about Gaza. They can go swimming in the sea.” - Maya Golan, Israeli’s minister of Women Affairs, October 13th on ILTV.

”Animal humans will be treated accordingly (referring to Palestinians in Gaza, did not mention Hamas). You wanted hell, you’ll get it.” - Ghassan Alian, Major general of the Israeli Army, October 9th on social media.

These are genocidal terms almost identical to what the Nazi’s used to say. This is genocide.

How can you support a country with people like this who want to eradicate Palestinians openly? What about the West Bank where nearly 80 Palestinians have died? There’s no Hamas there.

• Cheers 1

an hour ago
Fighter jets recently attacked military infrastructure and positions for launching mortar bombs of the Syrian army, in response to the launches towards Israel last night

2 hours ago -

Hearing explosions in Daraa and reports of Israeli bombing targeting sites of Assad and Iranian militias

6 hours ago

The Pentagon: American forces in Iraq have been subjected to more than ten attacks and three attacks in Syria since October 17

and this one: Hamas frogmen left the beach camp and infiltrated north of gaza by sea while up to a dozen more came through a tunnel complex that originated in the beach camp there. This is likely the Israeli response to that. :
2 hours ago -

The Ministry of the Interior in Gaza: "dead and wounded in an Israeli bombing on an inhabited house for the "Abu Ghaben" family in the Beach Camp, west of Gaza."

15 minutes ago, Odd. said:

“We are dropping hundreds of tons of bombs in Gaza. The focus is on destruction, not accuracy”. - Daniel Hagari, Israeli army spokesperson dated October 10th.

“We will turn Gaza (2.5M population) into an island of ruins” Benjamin Fuckface Netanyahu.

“… now, there is only one goal: Nakba (complete expulsion of Palestinians). A nakba of Gaza that will dwarf the nakba of 1948.” - Ariel Kallner, Israeli politician of the Likud party” - October 7th on Twitter.

“It is an entire nation that is responsible. This rhetoric of supposedly civilians not being involved is absolutely untrue (…) and we will fight until we break their backs”. - Yitzhak Herzog, President of Israel, during a press conference to international press.

“There will be no electricity, no food, no fuel, everything is closed. We are fighting animal people, and we are acting accordingly”. - Yoav Gallant, defense minister of Israel, October 9th in a televised press.

“Jericho missile! Doomsday weapon! That’s my opinion. Powerful rockets to be fired without borders, Gaza to be smashed and razed to the ground. Without mercy.” - Tally Gotliv, Israeli politician of Likud party, October 9th.

“Wipe out their families, their mothers, and their children. These animals (referring to Palestinians in Gaza) must not be allowed to live any longer”. - Ezra Yachin, Israeli army veteran

“I want to tell the world what they have long known about me in Israel. I don’t care about Gaza. I literally don’t care about Gaza. They can go swimming in the sea.” - Maya Golan, Israeli’s minister of Women Affairs, October 13th on ILTV.

”Animal humans will be treated accordingly (referring to Palestinians in Gaza, did not mention Hamas). You wanted hell, you’ll get it.” - Ghassan Alian, Major general of the Israeli Army, October 9th on social media.

These are genocidal terms almost identical to what the Nazi’s used to say. This is genocide.

How can you support a country with people like this who want to eradicate Palestinians openly? What about the West Bank where nearly 80 Palestinians have died? There’s no Hamas there.

Now dig up all the statements made by Palestinian's calling for the same and worse for Isreal so we can ask "How can you support a country with people like this who want to eradicate Israeli's openly?" 

1 minute ago, Playoff Beered said:

Now dig up all the statements made by Palestinian's calling for the same and worse for Isreal so we can ask "How can you support a country with people like this who want to eradicate Israeli's openly?" 

Both sides in this conflict want to eradicate the other side.  It is literally the 2 sides of evil in this conflict -  with innocent civilians caught in crossfire...

2 state solutions with UN peacekeepers is the only long term solution. 

Edited by moosehead

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, I completely disagree with this action.

Yes, you can tell members of your party how to vote on bills (that's what Whips are for) but you shouldn't be able to tell them how they have to think. (BTW: I'd say this exact thing, no matter whether she supported Hamas, or Israel)

Not only that, it's seems rather tone deaf to expel a member of a historically marginalized demographic (black women) for advocating on behalf of those experiencing marginalization, which is what she was doing. 

Let's take a look at her actual statement. 

I have no issue with this statement, my last post actually references the Michael Lynk report. She didn't say anything that human rights organizations or the UN haven't already been saying. 

I posted about the white phosphorous in this thread, the collective punishment meted out in the form of a shutting down of water, power, and so on was well covered by the media, and in this thread. In fact pretty much everything she spoke to has been covered in this thread. 

She spoke of wanting to find a solution to the ongoing cycle of violence, something several in this thread have also spoken to. But she did so as a politician, which apparently ruffled some political feathers. 

I've been pretty up front in this thread about my viewing Hamas as not being good for the Palestinian people, it's pretty obvious they aren't good for the Israeli people either. I've also been pretty open about my criticisms of the Israeli government, illegal settlements, the annexation of land, and so on, as have many others here and otherwise. She's a bit unique as a Canadian politician taking this stance, but other countries have been chiming in. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/15/which-countries-have-criticised-israeli-attacks-on-gaza

It's dangerous to conflate such criticisms with antisemitism, because doing so turns antisemitism into a card one can pull out and use to paint someone with a very negative stigma. There is room for criticism, just because one criticizes the actions of the Israeli government doesn't necessarily mean someone is anti-Jew or anti-Israel. It's more nuanced than that. But yeah, the language matters. 

I spoke to the language earlier, definitions matter. 

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/04/04/human-rights-and-other-civil-society-groups-urge-united-nations-respect-human

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2023/04/global-un-must-respect-human-rights-while-combatting-antisemitism/

But back to her statement, she actually followed it up. 

One can question why she didn't immediately say that, sure. But she'd be far from the first person to have not fit everything into one post, politician or not there needs to be space for her simply being human. Realistically she'd have been roasted politically anyway; Ford went after her, likely to try and score political points as he's surrounded by his own scandals. 

At the end of the day she took what I view as a human rights stance, if the Ontario NDP expelled her because of it I question their unwillingness to take a human rights stance. That being said, I understand why a Canadian party might be fussy about it given how directly involved the US is, but the Canada/US thing is an entire can of worms in itself. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

what was known in 2021 about the complex tunnel networks, reports from Hamas themselves, both officially and inadvertantly claim over 200kms of tunnels now. 

The old lady who was released claims she was led underground for many km's to where the hostages were being kept. I have no idea how big the complex is now, but these estimates from various reports. This map is 2 years old or more. 

image.png.cfdd5a1357c68a9c507a62891bbc3a4a.png

Genocide / War Crime if true ?

CNN — 

Tempers flared at the United Nations on Tuesday amid ceasefire calls, as aid groups and doctors in Gaza warn that power shortages threaten the lives of vulnerable infants and patients.

Aid agencies have been calling for a ceasefire in Gaza, with one saying at least 2,000 children in Gaza have been killed in the past few weeks, as Israel intensified its bombing campaign in the besieged strip.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/24/middleeast/israel-hamas-gaza-war-tuesday-intl-hnk/index.html

Canada, the U.S. and the United Nations appealed on Tuesday for a humanitarian pause in the Israel-Hamas war to allow safe deliveries of aid to civilians short of food, water, medicine and electricity in the besieged Gaza Strip.

International pressure for unimpeded aid to Gaza rose as the Hamas-run Health Ministry said Israeli airstrikes had killed more than 700 Palestinians in Gaza overnight. Ministry spokesperson Ashraf Al-Qidra said this was the highest 24-hour death toll in Israel's two-week-old siege of the Gaza Strip.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/israel-airstrike-gaza-hamas-1.7005906

Edited by moosehead
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not only that, it's seems rather tone deaf to expel a member of a historically marginalized demographic (black women) for advocating on behalf of those experiencing marginalization, which is what she was doing. 

I have no issue with this statement, my last post actually references the Michael Lynk report. She didn't say anything that human rights organizations or the UN haven't already been saying. 

I posted about the white phosphorous in this thread, the collective punishment meted out in the form of a shutting down of water, power, and so on was well covered by the media, and in this thread. In fact pretty much everything she spoke to has been covered in this thread. 

She spoke of wanting to find a solution to the ongoing cycle of violence, something several in this thread have also spoken to. But she did so as a politician, which apparently ruffled some political feathers. 

She also clarified her stance the following day.

I've been pretty up front in this thread about my viewing Hamas as not being good for the Palestinian people, it's pretty obvious they aren't good for the Israeli people either. I've also been pretty open about my criticisms of the Israeli government, illegal settlements, the annexation of land, and so on, as have many others here and otherwise. She's a bit unique as a Canadian politician taking this stance, but other countries have been chiming in. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/15/which-countries-have-criticised-israeli-attacks-on-gaza

It's dangerous to conflate such criticisms with antisemitism, because doing so turns antisemitism into a card one can pull out and use to paint someone with a very negative stigma. There is room for criticism, just because on criticizes the actions of the Israeli government doesn't necessarily mean someone is anti-Jew or anti-Israel. It's more nuanced than that. But yeah, the language matters. 

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/04/04/human-rights-and-other-civil-society-groups-urge-united-nations-respect-human

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2023/04/global-un-must-respect-human-rights-while-combatting-antisemitism/

One can question why she didn't immediately say that, sure. But she'd be far from the first person to have not fit everything into one post, politician or not there needs to be space for her simply being human. Realistically she'd have been roasted politically anyway; Ford went after her, likely to try and score political points as he's surrounded by his own scandals. 

At the end of the day she took what I view as a human rights stance, if the Ontario NDP expelled her because of it I question their unwillingness to take a human rights stance. That being said, I understand why a Canadian party might be fussy about it given how directly involved the US is, but the Canada/US thing is an entire can of worms in itself. 

I suspect the suspension from caucus is for things she said in caucus, which are confidential to the folks in that caucus. I am unfamiliar with the ONT NDP but generally in the past the NDP has been extremely concerned for Palestinians, rightfully so. If i were to guess, behind closed doors she probably doubled down on the original statement with something verbally more aggressively anti Israel..I am totally guessing, but it seems strange to boot her without some kind of insider info that we simply will never know. There is a chance it is strictly a political calculation, but unlikely, imo. More likely she lost her temper and is now finding out. 

edit: while I think everyone is definitively worried for the everyday Palestinian people, everyone except their leaders who started this war, there are some who are also very much in favour of those very leaders who started this war, Hamas: and that is a terrorist organization by every standard, and legally so in Canada. Feels like she might have gone that far in order to get the boot, again just a semi educated guess. A minority of folks seem to be demanding that to be 'for' the palestian people folks must also be pro-Hamas, wouldn't be unheard of if she crossed that line.

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's dangerous to conflate such criticisms with antisemitism, because doing so turns antisemitism into a card one can pull out and use to paint someone with a very negative stigma. There is room for criticism, just because on criticizes the actions of the Israeli government doesn't necessarily mean someone is anti-Jew or anti-Israel. It's more nuanced than that. But yeah, the language matters. 

I do. Calling Israel a  "settler" country is moronic imo.

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

I suspect the suspension from caucus is for things she said in caucus, which are confidential to the folks in that caucus. I am unfamiliar with the ONT NDP but generally in the past the NDP has been extremely concerned for Palestinians, rightfully so. If i were to guess, behind closed doors she probably doubled down on the original statement with something verbally more aggressively anti Israel..I am totally guessing, but it seems strange to boot her without some kind of insider info that we simply will never know. There is a chance it is strictly a political calculation, but unlikely, imo. More likely she lost her temper and is now finding out. 

We'll likely never know so I'm not going to speculate. But without insider knowledge the optics of it look questionable to me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

'Why ?  Do you disagree ? Check out Wiki....

Israeli settlements or colonies[1][2][3][4] are civilian communities where Israeli citizens live, almost exclusively of Jewish identity or ethnicity,[5][6][7] built on lands occupied by Israel since the Six-Day War in 1967.[8] The international community consider Israeli settlements to be illegal under international law,[9][10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_settlement

Edited by moosehead

9 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

tell me, do these same Palestinians have access to missiles, billions of dollars worth of sophisticated artillery, iron domes, anything? Oh right, they don’t have a military. They don’t have food water fuel electricity sanitation internet.

These are Israeli officials. I have not yet seen any Palestinian official that has said anything about destroying Israel and referring to them as “human animals”. Again, why are Palestinians dying in the West Bank? Maybe you should try understanding the root cause of Palestinians frustrations.

This is like Jews saying “screw German Christians” In world war 2 after being genocided. There is a distinct power imbalance between the oppressors and the ones being oppressed. 

What a weak and utterly ignorant response.

5 minutes ago, moosehead said:

'Why ?  Do you disagree ?

How can Jewish people be "settlers" in a place they've been as long as anyone else?

People on the left love to over use this settler stuff and she misapplied it. 

I don't think the NDP took their decision lightly but it was the right call. You can't abstract this to something so blatantly simplic.

Edited by Bob Long

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How can Jewish people be "settlers" in a place they've been as long as anyone else?

By burning down Palestinian houses / villages or bull dozing them. Poisoning wells.   Murdering Palestinians.

Then occupying these lands and moving in .   That sounds like Settlers to me......

Edited by moosehead

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

tell me, do these same Palestinians have access to missiles, billions of dollars worth of sophisticated artillery, iron domes, anything? Oh right, they don’t have a military. They don’t have food water fuel electricity sanitation internet.

These are Israeli officials. I have not yet seen any Palestinian official that has said anything about destroying Israel and referring to them as “human animals”. Again, why are Palestinians dying in the West Bank? Maybe you should try understanding the root cause of Palestinians frustrations.

This is like Jews saying “screw German Christians” In world war 2 after being genocided. There is a distinct power imbalance between the oppressors and the ones being oppressed. 

What a weak and utterly ignorant response.

Yes they have access to missiles, thousands of them have been launched by their military that you claim they don't have.

Plenty of Palestinian officials have made genocidal statements and you know it.

Totally irrelevant to anything being discussed, or as you would say, weak and ignorant.

2 minutes ago, moosehead said:

By burning down Palestinian houses / villages or bull dozing them. Poisoning wells.   Murdering Palestinians.

Then occupying these lands and moving in .   That sounds like Settlers to me......

Whatever. You choose to ignore things done to Israelis in many of your arguments.

I see a lot of people rushing to prove their lefty cred in this conflict. This MPP overdid it and paid the price.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Are you speaking to the following? "I'm reflecting on my role as a politician who is participating in this settler colonial system, and I ask that all politicians do the same.".

Because I interpreted that as her questioning her role in a Canadian political system, which is a settler colonial political system. 

Or are you referring to the bit in the second paragraph? Because she wouldn't be the only one to argue that illegal Israeli settlements amount to colonialism. 

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/10/1129942

Settlement is ongoing.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/6/26/israel-approves-plans-for-thousands-of-illegal-settlement-homes

UN was pretty clear.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/news/2020/06/israeli-annexation-parts-palestinian-west-bank-would-break-international-law-un

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2023/07/international-community-must-act-end-israels-annexation-occupied-west-bank

https://press.un.org/en/2016/sc12657.doc.htm

• Like 1