Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I grew up with the fear on nuclear war.

It contributed to my who gives a fuck attitude.

After the wall came down things were looking better.

Now I see my son growing up under a greater threat of nuclear war, the doomsday clock is the closest it's ever been to midnight.

This concerns me.

I literally assure you. There’s going to be no nuclear Armageddon. 

Not on my watch. :classic_cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

I literally assure you. There’s going to be no nuclear Armageddon. 

Not on my watch. :classic_cool:

No offense however the bulletin of Atomic scientists has more credibility than a poster on a hockey forum, no matter how much I respect you. 

We have grown very complacent, there are existing flash points and more might flare up, India/ China, China/ Taiwan. 

Doesn't even take a war, check out the Norwegian rocket incedent which I have brought up before. 

There are crazies on all sides that think of first strike possibilities.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

No offense however the bulletin of Atomic scientists has more credibility than a poster on a hockey forum, no matter how much I respect you. 

We have grown very complacent, there are existing flash points and more might flare up, India/ China, China/ Taiwan. 

Doesn't even take a war, check out the Norwegian rocket incedent which I have brought up before. 

No offense taken. 

No defence needed either. 

Plus as a Rec goalie, I’ve put up with plenty of crazies. 

I assure you, the world will continue to turn off axis, as an oblate spheroid. 

• Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Cool. Bring it. The entire civilized world is waiting to get rid of the Iranian leadership. Not to mention those there in the streets that have been killed and tamped down.  

I’m at a conference right now in Atlanta and met here a couple of Iranian-Canadians who live in Toronto now. They arrived relatively recently, within the last 5-6 years. Such nice people. They can’t wait until the world helps the good Iranians to get rid of ayatollahs. And they stand with Israel. In my 27 years in Canada I met many people from Iran and every single one of them was between some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. As we talked, we realized that Jews and Persians are among the very few most ancient nations on the planet right now.

• Like 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

39 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

With all due respect to nuclear scientists, how can they manage that clock? They are good at chemistry and physics, not in politics, military strategy or international relations. Being nuclear scientists doesn’t make them experts in every single field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RomanPer said:

I’m at a conference right now in Atlanta and met here a couple of Iranian-Canadians who live in Toronto now. They arrived relatively recently, within the last 5-6 years. Such nice people. They can’t wait until the world helps the good Iranians to get rid of ayatollahs. And they stand with Israel. In my 27 years in Canada I met many people from Iran and every single one of them was between some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. As we talked, we realized that Jews and Persians are among the very few most ancient nations on the planet right now.

Brother they don't even come close to the original Australians.

60,000 years continuous culture and still counting.

2 hours ago, RomanPer said:

With all due respect to nuclear scientists, how can they manage that clock? They are good at chemistry and physics, not in politics, military strategy or international relations. Being nuclear scientists doesn’t make them experts in every single field.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

No matter what you think of them they are still amongst the best minds/ intellects of our species.

It's not just them, the link I posted to the UN report.

And lastly just plain reasoning.

Can you tell me with absolute certainty that Hamas doesn't have a " dirty bomb ".

They have just committed an act of terrorism that they were bound to know the Isrealis would respond with a ground invasion.

Lure them in and let off a dirty bomb, it's a possibility.

Got to think like a terrorist to predict what they might do. 

And anyone who has studied military history knows that both American and Russian general staff considered first strike options in the cold war.

Shit there were " accidents " that nearly caused a nuclear war. 

But hey as Chamberlain stated 

Peace in our time.....

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

No offense taken. 

No defence needed either. 

Plus as a Rec goalie, I’ve put up with plenty of crazies. 

I assure you, the world will continue to turn off axis, as an oblate spheroid. 

Ahhh, now I know why you are the way you are.

You know what they say about goalies. 

https://www.freshgear.com/hockey-faqs/are-hockey-goalies-weird/#:~:text=Why are hockey goalies considered,to a somewhat eccentric persona.

Just a bit of fun

Last paragraph of the  article

" While some hockey goalies may exhibit eccentricities and quirky behaviours, it is not fair to categorise all goalies as weird. Their uniqueness can be attributed to the demands and challenges of their position. Being a goalie requires exceptional skill, mental fortitude, and the ability to handle immense pressure "

And you bet I am crazy, crazy like a fox !

6 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am glad you brought this up my friend.

In both the war threads I see dehumanising comments from people who have probably never been in a fight let alone a war zone. 

Fighting other human beings is fuckin scary.

Being shot at is fucking frightening.

One of the reasons I used to fight when I was younger was to confront my fear, I called it the fear/ excitement rush.

Same with the stuff I used to do on skis and a mountain bike.

There is nothing like confronting your fears to set off all those good chemicals in your brain when you manage not to hurt yourself. 

However I digress, people talk about death like they are friends with it.

I wonder if they have seen the light go out of a person's eyes.

Have heard them screaming in pain. 

I am so sorry to hear about your brother my friend.

I have lost quite a few friends to suicide over the years.

One feels sad and angry at the same time.

Like why didn't you turn to us, your friends for help ? 

The video stated is unavailable in my country, would love to know the name of the song 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

In the history of racial, religious or ideological driven conflicts.  When has anyone seen the error of supporting their side?

" Ideas are powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas "

Joe Stalin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

With your love of music & history I’m sure you’re familiar with it.
The Pogues - the band played waltzing Matilda.

Cheers my friend.

As OP stated, very emotional song. 

@Optimist Prime 

Here is another for you my friend

It's about soldiers that were forced to fight in an unjust war, and it was only recently they received justice themselves. 

This one makes me cry no matter how many times I hear it 

7 hours ago, RomanPer said:

I have a cousin who is a nuclear physicist. A postDoctoral degree after his PHD.  

I swear he is bipolar? His body / brain assesses things excruciating detail, including politics. Then if asked? He normally does not speak unless pressed. Cannot help but hold back the truth. No judgement aside from an answer invariably hard to contradict.  Communicates extremely well, albeit with a wry smile. Which says you cannot f' with him just because he would rather be in a lab.

Intelligence goes a long, long way. Even with no ambition to manage any clock. 

• Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

In the history of racial, religious or ideological driven conflicts.  When has anyone seen the error of supporting their side?

I think failing will at least teach you that you could be wrong or at least don't have the numbers to continue. The US had its civil war, sure they are still dealing with a lot of racial issues but its hard to argue things haven't improved and the ideology is no longer dominant in the US south. 

Closer to this issue, didn't Jordan manage to rid itself of its more extreme element in the 70s?

9 hours ago, RomanPer said:

We had an Iranian Canadian in our Rotary Club a few years back. A great guy. His family belong to an ancient Christian faith that he said the Iranian government was methodically persecuting. When they had the opportunity to leave they did. He said there are a lot of friction in Iranian society.

My hope is that the Americans or Israelis bomb the Iranian nuke research sites. This would give the Israelis and Saudis the time to finish their alliance and allow a more united resistance to Iranian provocations. 

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My hope is that the Americans or Israelis bomb the Iranian nuke research sites. This would give the Israelis and Saudis the time to finish their alliance and allow a more united resistance to Iranian provocations. 

This should have been done the minute Iranian drones started appearing in Ukraine.  It's pretty obvious what Iran is getting out of the deal.   The second best time is now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

We had an Iranian Canadian in our Rotary Club a few years back. A great guy. His family belong to an ancient Christian faith that he said the Iranian government was methodically persecuting. When they had the opportunity to leave they did. He said there are a lot of friction in Iranian society.

my concern is Iran has been given small tactical nukes already. 

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

No matter what you think of them they are still amongst the best minds/ intellects of our species.

It's not just them, the link I posted to the UN report.

And lastly just plain reasoning.

Can you tell me with absolute certainty that Hamas doesn't have a " dirty bomb ".

They have just committed an act of terrorism that they were bound to know the Isrealis would respond with a ground invasion.

Lure them in and let off a dirty bomb, it's a possibility.

Got to think like a terrorist to predict what they might do. 

And anyone who has studied military history knows that both American and Russian general staff considered first strike options in the cold war.

Shit there were " accidents " that nearly caused a nuclear war. 

But hey as Chamberlain stated 

Peace in our time.....

Perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not in disagreement on the fact that the level of threat is very high. All I was saying - just because the scientists are nuclear, it doesn't mean they understand the level of threat any better than, let's say, astrophysicists or neurosurgeons.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Cheers my friend.

As OP stated, very emotional song. 

@Optimist Prime 

Here is another for you my friend

It's about soldiers that were forced to fight in an unjust war, and it was only recently they received justice themselves. 

This one makes me cry no matter how many times I hear it 

Damn, that first one hit the nerve for me. I literally just cried. As you might now, I was one of such soldiers in Afghanistan with the Soviet Army.

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Was he Baha'i?