Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1
Message added by Sharpshooter,

THIS THREAD IS MODERATED. 

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE/REPLY WITH PERSONAL INSULTS OR ABUSIVE LANGUAGE. 

DON’T SAY YOU HAVEN’T BEEN WARNED. 

BE KIND, EMPATHIZE OR USE THE IGNORE FUNCTION. 

~ Your friendly neighbourhood Sniper. 

11 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

This is false.

Soon after the Hamas attacks on Israel, former President Donald J. Trump and other Republicans tried to cast blame on President Biden — saying that a recent deal brokered to secure the release of five Americans detained in Iran helped to finance the assault. Iran is a longtime backer of Hamas, a Palestinian militant group that has been designated a terrorist organization by the United States.

As part of the deal in question, the U.S. facilitated the transfer of $6 billion of Iranian profits from oil sales from banks in South Korea to Qatar so that Iran could use it for food and other humanitarian purposes.

But that $6 billion is not U.S. taxpayer money, as Mr. Trump and others, including Vivek Ramaswamy, another of the Republican presidential candidates, falsely stated. Nor is there evidence that the money, which officials have said is subject to Treasury Department oversight, was used to finance the attacks.

In fact, the White House National Security Council said the money in question hasn’t been accessed by Iran.

“Not a single cent from these funds has been spent, and when it is spent, it can only be spent on things like food and medicine for the Iranian people,” a spokeswoman for the N.S.C., Adrienne Watson, said in a statement on Saturday. “These funds have absolutely nothing to do with the horrific attacks today and this is not the time to spread disinformation.”

The $6 billion was already technically usable by Iran for humanitarian purposes, but it was essentially frozen in South Korea because banks there were reluctant to disburse it and run afoul of U.S. rules, said Patrick Clawson, director of research at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. He said that the Trump administration had similarly tried to find a way to set up a channel for the money to be provided for humanitarian purposes, but was unsuccessful.

Even with rules in place limiting how the money may be used, Mr. Clawson said critics of the Biden administration may well argue that providing Iran with access to the $6 billion effectively freed up other money that the Iranian government could then use to fund Hamas and therefore support such attacks.

“Money is fungible,” he said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I never like hearing that term " solution " in relation to a group/ race of people.

It always reminds me of the final solution. 

Remember when Howard introduced the " Pacific solution " ? 

The shame still burns over 20 years later.

Yup, I read your first sentence and the final solution is what popped in my mind.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

There were plenty of right-wing protests that went off incident free.  Multiple weekends of Freedumb Convoy protests here in PG.  They chose to protest in the CN Centre parking lot, not blocking streets or access to public buildings.   They didn't desecrate things.   They didn't impede access to border crossings. 

So it hardly was just because they were right wingers that some individuals were jailed and/or had their accounts frozen.. 

I don't want to derail the thread and I have little sympathy for the "Freedom" crowd....but good on them for doing it out there.

I'm old enough to remember before the Kin Center was built and all of that area was the PG Fair Grounds. It was pretty much the end of town and definitely not in the way of any major thoroughfares....

1 hour ago, Playoff Beered said:

This is false.

Soon after the Hamas attacks on Israel, former President Donald J. Trump and other Republicans tried to cast blame on President Biden — saying that a recent deal brokered to secure the release of five Americans detained in Iran helped to finance the assault. Iran is a longtime backer of Hamas, a Palestinian militant group that has been designated a terrorist organization by the United States.

As part of the deal in question, the U.S. facilitated the transfer of $6 billion of Iranian profits from oil sales from banks in South Korea to Qatar so that Iran could use it for food and other humanitarian purposes.

But that $6 billion is not U.S. taxpayer money, as Mr. Trump and others, including Vivek Ramaswamy, another of the Republican presidential candidates, falsely stated. Nor is there evidence that the money, which officials have said is subject to Treasury Department oversight, was used to finance the attacks.

In fact, the White House National Security Council said the money in question hasn’t been accessed by Iran.

“Not a single cent from these funds has been spent, and when it is spent, it can only be spent on things like food and medicine for the Iranian people,” a spokeswoman for the N.S.C., Adrienne Watson, said in a statement on Saturday. “These funds have absolutely nothing to do with the horrific attacks today and this is not the time to spread disinformation.”

The $6 billion was already technically usable by Iran for humanitarian purposes, but it was essentially frozen in South Korea because banks there were reluctant to disburse it and run afoul of U.S. rules, said Patrick Clawson, director of research at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. He said that the Trump administration had similarly tried to find a way to set up a channel for the money to be provided for humanitarian purposes, but was unsuccessful.

Even with rules in place limiting how the money may be used, Mr. Clawson said critics of the Biden administration may well argue that providing Iran with access to the $6 billion effectively freed up other money that the Iranian government could then use to fund Hamas and therefore support such attacks.

“Money is fungible,” he said.

This is one of those right wing lies that has bugged me for ages...."Why should we give Iran any money?" I've heard it parroted so often it's mind-boggling...

....and I've made the same response just as many times....Because it's their money....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't want to derail the thread and I have little sympathy for the "Freedom" crowd....good on them for doing it out there.

I'm old enough to remember before the Kin Center was built and all of that area was the PG Fair Grounds. It was pretty much the end of town and definitely not in the way of any major thoroughfares....

This is one of those right wing lies that has bugged me for ages...."Why should we give Iran any money?" I've heard it parroted so often it's mind-boggling...

....and I've made the same response just as many times....Because it's their money....

Money was released few weeks ago.
Planning this massive attack on country with strong military and intelligence, that caused most Jewish casualties since the creation of Israeli state, took only few days according to the traitors from GOP.

Maybe we can transfer some funds to pay for their reprogramming or lobotomies.

8 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Planning this massive attack on country with strong military and intelligence, that caused most Jewish casualties since the creation of Israeli state, took only few days according to the traitors from GOP.

I'm not quite sure what point you're making here CBH...but I guess it's that the Americans should have continued the hold on those funds and that the attack would not have happened had they done so? :classic_unsure:

In any event, I wish this hadn't happened, but I'm not going to speculate on possible alternate scenarios. I'm sure plenty of others will be only too happy to do so.

All I will say is that tensions with Iran seem to have been getting worse ever since the Nuclear deal was scrapped.

21 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Source?

If you give me 1000 dollars with the good faith promise to spend it on food, medicine and clothes for my family but YOU turn around and buy guns and YOU go on a murdering spree killing innocents, are you to blame???

Edited by BabyCakes
stupid me

26 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

It's embarrassing that they can just lie lie lie and can continue to do so with no hit to their popularity. The 6 billion thing was everywhere and, as usual, was shown to be another dishonest farce. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Hamas official open to a discussion of a truce with Israel

• According to Reuters

Reuters is reporting that:

• Hamas official said they are open to discussions over a truce with Israel.

Not sure the willingness to let bygones be bygones is there yet.

Probably a bit too late for that. I don't think there's anything stopping Israel from demolishing Gaza. 

• Tank 1

22 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

• According to Reuters

Condition #1: every hamas-affiliated person, no matter how insignificant, is jailed

Condition #2: open book on where the money came from

Condition #3: full disclosure of military instructors' identities

Condition #4: Haniyeh dead.

6 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Condition #1: every hamas-affiliated person, no matter how insignificant, is jailed

Nah, they're killing handcuffed children. That's grounds for wiping them off the face of the earth. 

• Like 1

Egypt intelligence official says Israel ignored repeated warnings of ‘something big’

Cairo official says Israel focused on West Bank instead of Gaza; Egypt’s spy chief said to warn PM of ‘terrible operation,’ Netanyahu’s office denies

https://www.timesofisrael.com/egypt-intelligence-official-says-israel-ignored-repeated-warnings-of-something-big/?ref=upstract.com

56 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

• According to Reuters

You don’t negotiate with terrorists. The only way this gets fixed is when Hamas is wiped from the face of the earth. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Probably a bit too late for that. I don't think there's anything stopping Israel from demolishing Gaza. 

That is exactly what Hamas is hoping for.   It will make Hamas stronger.

The conflict needs to get resolved.  So much suffering on both sides. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You don’t negotiate with terrorists. The only way this gets fixed is when Hamas is wiped from the face of the earth. 

You don’t negotiate with terrorists. The only way this gets fixed is when Israel  negotiates a peaceful compromise ( 2 state solution ) with the Palestinians ......   Hamas does not speak for most palestinians....

Edited by moosehead

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

While I agree with the label you've affixed. Generally speaking one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. An argument can be made the biggest terrorist organization on Earth is the CIA. Should they be wiped out too?

It's just not as easy as 'wipe them out'.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

The chances of all of that happening is zero. Hamas won’t go away until they are physically wiped from the earth. 

Israel must now do what the US did after 9/11. This calls for the complete destruction of Hamas. Iran most likely gets involved as well as Hezbollah. So I see a real scenario where Israel could use their nukes. 

8 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

Egypt intelligence official says Israel ignored repeated warnings of ‘something big’

Cairo official says Israel focused on West Bank instead of Gaza; Egypt’s spy chief said to warn PM of ‘terrible operation,’ Netanyahu’s office denies

https://www.timesofisrael.com/egypt-intelligence-official-says-israel-ignored-repeated-warnings-of-something-big/?ref=upstract.com

While Bibi has denied this vehemently, if true what else would he say? There is a lot of 'chatter' that this warning was presented to him and he was too preoccupied with operations the West Bank.

If proven to be true he'll get strung up as a traitor to the Jewish state.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The chances of all of that happening is zero. Hamas won’t go away until they are physically wiped from the earth. 

Israel must now do what the US did after 9/11. This calls for the complete destruction of Hamas. Iran most likely gets involved as well as Hezbollah. So I see a real scenario where Israel could use their nukes. 

Ah...... no thanks.     The world has seen enough suffering of innocent civilians.     More killing  / murder is not what the world needs.