Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

The International Criminal Court’s Prosecutor Karim Khan told a news conference in the Egyptian capital Cairo on Sunday that Israel must make “discernible efforts” to ensure civilians get basic food and medicine.

In a video statement posted earlier on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, Khan warned that curtailment of those rights could give rise to “criminal responsibility” under the Rome Statute.

“There should not be any impediment to humanitarian relief supplies going to children, to women and men, civilians,” Khan said in the video from the Rafah border crossing with Egypt.

“They are innocent, they have rights under international humanitarian law,” Khan added. “These rights are part of the Geneva Conventions, and they give rise to even criminal responsibility when these rights are curtailed under the Rome Statute

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/29/impeding-aid-could-be-crime-under-icc-jurisdiction-prosecutor-warns

4 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

What does funding of Israel by USA (which, by the way, is a lot more of a cooperation in military field rather than simple delivery of cash to Israel) have to do with legitimate businesses that Israelis built? Don’t you understand the incredible weakness of your argument here?

Both Hamas and Israel war machines are funded by external nations........ 

How much military aid has Israel received from the US?

Israel is the most significant recipient of US foreign aid, having received some $263bn between 1946 and 2023.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/11/how-big-is-israels-military-and-how-much-funding-does-it-get-from-the-us

3 hours ago, moosehead said:

Israel is the most significant recipient of US foreign aid, having received some $263bn between 1946 and 2023.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/11/how-big-is-israels-military-and-how-much-funding-does-it-get-from-the-us

Gosh I wonder why?

image.thumb.jpeg.09db5188394661539e65b8b380917d62.jpeg

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Nice try. What does Offer family wealth, or Arnon Milchan’s wealth have to do with military funding of Israel by the US?

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

Israel not doing themselves any favours on the PR front if this remains the case:

Israel says it will fight Elon Musk's effort to supply Starlink internet to 'internationally recognized aid organizations' in Gaza

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-says-starlink-offer-142333434.html

I really don’t think Israel cares anymore about international PR, quite honestly. It just doesn’t matter what we do, we won’t change the opinion of mooseheads of the world anyway.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Israel not doing themselves any favours on the PR front if this remains the case:

Israel says it will fight Elon Musk's effort to supply Starlink internet to 'internationally recognized aid organizations' in Gaza

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-says-starlink-offer-142333434.html

From the oppressed to the oppressor...

Not a good look.

1 minute ago, RomanPer said:

I really don’t think Israel cares anymore about international PR, quite honestly. It just doesn’t matter what we do, we won’t change the opinion of mooseheads of the world anyway.

Yah i agreed.   Oppression / occupation / and Apartheid....     Not a good look for a country nowdays.....

26 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

That much is evident. I understand the military response by Israel. I don't understand why they would cut off starlink internet to internationally recognized aid organizations. It's not like the Red Cross is in cahoots with Hamas.

32 minutes ago, moosehead said:

From the oppressed to the oppressor...

Not a good look.

Yah i agreed.   Oppression / occupation / and Apartheid....     Not a good look for a country nowdays.....

Ok, i tried to bring you back from the ignored list. Welcome back to the special group…

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Gosh .   I wonder why muslim nations fund Hamas....

LossOfLandMapCard.png

That's a fake map.  There was never a Palestinian state.  Also, the second map on the real map is the deal the Palestinians refused and then started a war to get even more land.  They lost that war and all subsequent wars, so unfortunately, they ended up with map #5...

Israel.JPG

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

That much is evident. I understand the military response by Israel. I don't understand why they would cut off starlink internet to internationally recognized aid organizations. It's not like the Red Cross is in cahoots with Hamas.

You would be surprised. They were in cahoots with putin and enabled kidnapping of Ukrainian kids.

12 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I believe the issue is Hamas is taking all of the humanitarian aid and keeping it for themselves, in essence starving their own people.  The Red Cross or whoever would need to go into Gaza directly in order to make sure the actual Palestinian people are receiving the aid and not the terrorists...

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The Red Cross? I just used them as an example; they were the first to come to mind.

Yes, The Red Cross set up a camp in russia in early 2022 that was used by russian officials as filtration camp of Ukrainian citizens who were forcefully removed from areas like Mariupol by the russian forces.

Edited by RomanPer
Didn’t want to merge with previous post
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's a fake map.  There was never a Palestinian state.  Also, the second map on the real map is the deal the Palestinians refused and then started a war to get even more land.  They lost that war and all subsequent wars, so unfortunately, they ended up with map #5...

Israel.JPG

Here are more granular maps in greater detail...

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.44.23 PM.png

During the first world war Sir Mark Sykes, a British diplomat, and François Georges-Picot, a French one, were appointed by their governments to secretly divvy up the lands of the Ottoman empire. The Arab provinces were to be split up among European powers. Palestine was envisioned as international territory given its significance in Christianity, Islam and Judaism. In 1917 Britain issued the Balfour Declaration, stating its support for “the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people”. By then Jewish agricultural settlement in Palestine had already begun, and the Zionist movement, founded by Theodor Herzl, had declared its aim to create a Jewish homeland at its first congress in Basel in 1897.

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.45.00 PM.png

The San Remo Conference of 1920 finalised the partition of the Ottoman empire. Britain was given a mandate to rule parts of the international territory envisioned under Sykes-Picot. This was split again the following year into Palestine and Transjordan, an Arab kingdom under Hashemite rule. The mandate was approved by the League of Nations, a forerunner to the United Nations, in 1922. Importantly, it included support for the Balfour Declaration. Arabs living there turned increasingly to violence against their occupiers and growing numbers of Jewish migrants, including German Jews fleeing Nazi persecution. In 1936 the Arabs revolted. The British crushed the uprising, but tried to win over the Arabs by restricting Jewish ambitions in the region. Jewish militant groups began launching their own revolt which spread after the second world war. Eventually the British gave up and handed the problem over to the UN.

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.45.46 PM.png

After the Holocaust, pressure grew for the international recognition of a Jewish state. In 1947 the UN proposed the partition of Palestine into three parts: an Arab state, a Jewish state and Jerusalem, which was intended to be a corpus separatum, or a separate, internationally run entity. Violence only worsened. As Britain completed its withdrawal in 1948 Jewish leaders declared the establishment of the state of Israel. Neighbouring Arab countries promptly invaded. 

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.46.18 PM.png

Israel survived the Arab invasion. In the Armistice of 1949 a demarcation line (known as the “Green Line”) served as the de facto borders between Israel and Arab states, though the Arab governments refused to recognise Israel. More than 700,000 Palestinian Arabs fled or were pushed out of their homes. They called this the nakba, the catastrophe. The Gaza Strip and the West Bank came under the control of Egypt and Transjordan (later Jordan), respectively. Jerusalem was divided. 

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.46.57 PM.png

In 1967, during the six-day war between Israel and its Arab neighbours, Israel captured the West Bank, East Jerusalem, the Gaza Strip, the Golan Heights and the Sinai peninsula. It annexed East Jerusalem, along with a slice of the West Bank, and moved to build Jewish settlements in the occupied lands. 

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.47.13 PM.png

In October 1973, on the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur, Egypt and Syria launched an attack in Sinai and the Golan Heights. Under American auspices, Israel and Egypt signed the Camp David accords in 1978 and a peace treaty the following year. Israel agreed to give back all of Sinai, and to grant Palestinians autonomy. Outraged Arab countries kicked Egypt out of the Arab league, and there was no progress on Palestinian autonomy. 

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.47.40 PM.png

In 1987 Palestinians rose up, in what became known as the first intifada, a sustained movement of strikes and stone-throwing protests. In 1993 Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organisation signed the first Oslo accord, which set out a five-year period of Palestinian autonomy in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip under a new entity, the Palestinian Authority (PA). The interim arrangements created a messy patchwork in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip: in Area A the PA was given full civil and security control; in Area B it had civil-affairs and some law-and-order powers, but Israel retained ultimate security control; and in Area C Israel kept full control. The accord left the final status of Jerusalem and settlements to be sorted out later. During the second intifada, which lasted from 2000 to 2005 and involved the use of guns and suicide bombs by Palestinians, Israel built a security barrier in the West Bank and eventually withdrew its troops and settlers from the Gaza Strip. In the West Bank it pulled out of four settlements. 

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.47.58 PM.png

Today almost 3m Palestinians live in the West Bank, as well as more than 450,000 Israelis living in settlements (excluding East Jerusalem), a figure that has grown roughly fourfold since the Oslo accords were signed. Some settlers have now lived in the West Bank for two generations. Jerusalem is ringed with settlements. Palestinians in Gaza fare considerably worse than those elsewhere. The region has been controlled by Hamas, a militant group, since 2007. After it came to power, Egypt and Israel tightened a stifling blockade on the territory. Hamas militants and Israel have now been at war five times. The latest fighting has been the deadliest yet.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Gosh I wonder why?

image.thumb.jpeg.09db5188394661539e65b8b380917d62.jpeg

F9lF5f0WYAA0NNE.jpeg.95a897391a0f2c28e5c0dc1a91524554.jpeg

Wrong.

Suez Crisis.

In October 1956, Britian, France and Isreal attacked Egypt with the intention of occupying the Sinai Peninsula and taking over the Suez Canal.

The 6 day war.

June the 5th 1967 Isreal launched a preemptive strike against Egypt, virtually wiping out Egypt's airforce on the ground.

24 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Wrong.

Suez Crisis.

In October 1956, Britian, France and Isreal attacked Egypt with the intention of occupying the Sinai Peninsula and taking over the Suez Canal.

The 6 day war.

June the 5th 1967 Isreal launched a preemptive strike against Egypt, virtually wiping out Egypt's airforce on the ground.

While I don’t disagree on the 6th day war, it was inevitable. If Israel didn’t strike preemptively, Arab countries would have started then war on their term anyway. They amassed large armies along the borders of Israel and only a surprise attack allowed Israel to win. It was definitely existential situation.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Wrong.

Suez Crisis.

The 6 day war.

Partially wrong in my view, but I will take that down, you can edit it out also if you want...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_the_Six-Day_War

Nasser began massing his troops in the Sinai Peninsula on Israel's border (May 16), expelled the UNEF force from Gaza and Sinai (May 19) and took up UNEF positions at Sharm el-Sheikh, overlooking the Straits of Tiran.[23][24] Israel reiterated declarations made in 1957 that any closure of the Straits would be considered an act of war, or justification for war.[25][26] Nasser declared the Straits closed to Israeli shipping on May 22–23. On May 30, Jordan and Egypt signed a defense pact. The following day, at Jordan's invitation, the Iraqi army began deploying troops and armored units in Jordan.[27] They were later reinforced by an Egyptian contingent. On June 1, Israel formed a National Unity Government by widening its cabinet, and on June 4 the decision was made to go to war. The next morning, Israel launched Operation Focus, a large-scale surprise air strike that launched the Six-Day War.

Edited by Playoff Beered

9 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

While I don’t disagree on the 6th day war, it was inevitable. If Israel didn’t strike preemptively, Arab countries would have started then war on their term anyway. They amassed large armies along the borders of Israel and only a surprise attack allowed Israel to win. It was definitely existential situation.

Don't disagree with you brother.

That was strategically brilliant of them.

That's why the war only lasted six days, Isreal had command of the sky.

PB claimed Isreal hadn't started any wars, that claim was false.

• Cheers 1