Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

6 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Yes,  Israelis in Gaza.  each recieved  200,000 to 300,000 dollars  per family by the Israel government when moved out. 

Guess how much Palestinians  families got / get when they get their lands seized by Israeli government ... ?

100,000 hectares seized.  50,000 Palestiinian homes demolished. 

For the last 50 years, Israel has been forcing thousands of Palestinians off their land, occupying and illegally using it to create settlements that exclusively house Jewish Israeli settlers.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2017/06/israel-occupation-50-years-of-dispossession/

Is this happening within Gaza? There are a lot of hot words in this article. “Occupation”, “illegal”, “ruthless” and more. It’s clearly got a tone to it. 
So are these settlements in Gaza or is it more about settlements all over because the Hamas people don’t recognize Israel. 

A bit of a long read. But interesting..

Even before it declared the establishment of the state on 14 May 1948, and as the fighting between the Zionist forces and the Palestinians was raging, the Zionist leadership established military and civilian committees to take control of lands and other properties emptied of their Palestinian inhabitants. As soon as the state was declared, the Israeli government embarked on consolidating these various committees and setting the legal instruments and administrative structures that would permit the “legal” seizure of Palestinian land. During the years and decades that followed, laws were enacted and amended as needed to ensure the expansion of lands to be seized.

On 14 March 1950, the Knesset adopted the Absentee Property Law , which was a modified version of the Emergency Regulations Regarding Absentee Property. One important new provision was to authorize, for the first time, the Custodian of Absentee Property to sell confiscated refugee land to a unique body to be created, the Development Authority . The latter was established by the Development Authority (Transfer of Property) Law , enacted on 9 August 1950. The law declared the Development Authority competent to sell land to the State and in particular to the Jewish National Fund (JNF), a body whose lands are exclusively reserved to the Jewish people. 

The confiscated lands were used for the construction of Jewish towns, creating new fields for agriculture, and so forth. Some refugee land remains unused and uninhabited until today. On some of these village lands abandoned Palestinian homes and other buildings are still standing. In other places – cities like Jerusalem , for instance – these buildings can command very high prices today. A number of abandoned mosques still stand throughout Israel; some remain abandoned while others have been turned into restaurants and art galleries. A number of abandoned cemeteries still exist, the most famous of which is the Mamilla cemetery in Jerusalem.

Over the years, an Israeli Special Committee for the Return of Absentee Property made quiet deals to pay compensation to individual Palestinians living outside the country. For their part, most of the refugees have refused to consider compensation, wishing instead to return to their lands. In June 1973, Israel enacted the Absentees' Property (Compensation) Law that provided for the possibility of compensating applicants who resided in Israel, including Palestinian residents of annexed East Jerusalem , but at the same time denied them the right to claim the release of their property

https://www.palquest.org/en/highlight/14374/israel’s-appropriation-palestinian-property

On a more positive note...

I visited the museum a few years ago.. met a holocaust survivor that did the camp march. Auschwitz .  Had his camp tatroo....

Amazing museum to visit. Very powerful.

A statement says the B.C. government is “committed to broadening the scope of the required Grade 10 social studies curriculum” with changes coming in 2025.

It says that will ensure students learn about the murders of six million Jews and others by the Nazis during the Second World War, while “learning about discriminatory policies and injustices in Canada and around the world.”

Eby made the announcement at the Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver on Monday.

The changes will take effect in the 2025-2026 school year to allow for consultation with the Jewish community and education partners, including the Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-commits-to-mandatory-holocaust-education-for-grade-10-students

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if it's better to create an Israel history thread? It's interesting stuff but not really about this current war?

Strongly disagree.  You need to understand the past to understand the present / see a future  in this conflict. 

Perhaps it is the past that bothers you.....

Edited by moosehead
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, moosehead said:

Strongly disagree.  You need to understand the past to understand the present in this conflict. 

Perhaps it is the past that bothers you.....

No it doesn't bother me, it's just a lot of info that can be discussed/argued elsewhere. We don't do this historic review in the Ukraine thread.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No it doesn't bother me, it's just a lot of info that can be discussed/argued elsewhere. We don't do this historic review in the Ukraine thread.

Good point.   For me , i want to see more  / understand more that a bunch of residential towers  / schools getting obliverated each day..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So what is this “famous 21? Are you suggesting there are 21 Israeli settlements within Gaza? If you’re going to post something at least explain it. Or provide a link to something that explains it. 
I’m pretty sure the moderators just want us to not be nasty to one another. 

Gaza indeed used to have 21 illegal Israeli settlements composed of approximately 9,000 Israeli settlers, which at that time was a ridiculous number compared to the number of Palestinians living in the area. Many people attribute the 2005 disengagement plan to Ariel Sharon embracing it despite his own Likud party not welcoming the idea.

And while settlements continue into the West Bank, many attribute Israel's reluctance of currently expanding into Gaza to Hamas' deterrence factor and their heavy presence in the area, a point that seems plausible given the heavy casualties Israel reported in trying to defend their 21 settlements in Gaza. Another reason that might explain why a Palestinian may support Hamas. 

3 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Gaza indeed used to have 21 illegal Israeli settlements composed of approximately 9,000 Israeli settlers, which at that time was a ridiculous number compared to the number of Palestinians living in the area. Many people attribute the 2005 disengagement plan to Ariel Sharon embracing it despite his own Likud party not welcoming the idea.

And while settlements continue into the West Bank, many attribute Israel's reluctance of currently expanding into Gaza to Hamas' deterrence factor and their heavy presence in the area, a point that seems plausible given the heavy casualties Israel reported in trying to defend their 21 settlements in Gaza. Another reason that might explain why a Palestinian may support Hamas. 

So there were 21 Israeli settlements inside Gaza but Hamas forced them out? And it’s the presence of Hamas that keeps further Israeli settlements?

If Hamas forced out these 21 settlements, then why the October 7 attacks by Hamas outside of Gaza? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alflives said:

So there were 21 Israeli settlements inside Gaza but Hamas forced them out? And it’s the presence of Hamas that keeps further Israeli settlements?

If Hamas forced out these 21 settlements, then why the October 7 attacks by Hamas outside of Gaza? 

What??? I never said Hamas forced them out. I clearly said it was due to the 2005 disengagement plan.

2 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

What??? I never said Hamas forced them out. I clearly said it was due to the 2005 disengagement plan.

Oh, I see. Then why the second paragraph? It reads like Hamas is keeping Israel out of Gaza. 
And why the October 7 attacks? Didn’t all the Israelis move out?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Oh, I see. Then why the second paragraph? It reads like Hamas is keeping Israel out of Gaza. 
And why the October 7 attacks? Didn’t all the Israelis move out?  

Yes, IMO, Hamas has a deterrence factor. 

I'm not going to make a prediction on Netanyahu's plans for the Oct 7 attacks. My tinfoil hat isn't big enough. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Guntrix said:

Yes, IMO, Hamas has a deterrence factor. 

I'm not going to make a prediction on Netanyahu's plans for the Oct 7 attacks. My tinfoil hat isn't big enough. 

From just what I’ve read here it sounds like Mr. Netanyahu is a bad apple. Hopefully he gets voted out along with those of his thinking. 
Not too sure how Hamas get removed. 

• ThereItIs 1

More children have been killed in the Gaza Strip over the last three weeks than in every other armed conflict annually since 2019, says Save the Children.

Citing numbers from Gaza's Health Ministry, the international charity said Sunday that 3,195 children have been killed in Gaza since Oct. 7. That number had risen to 3,457 as of Monday afternoon. The CBC has been unable to independently verify the figures. 

Another 33 children have been killed in the occupied West Bank, and 29 children were killed in Israel, the charity said, citing figures from local health authorities. 

"These are children that had futures, that had lives ahead of them, that have families that loved them," Dalia Al-Awqati, head of humanitarian affairs for Save the Children Canada, told As It Happens host Nil Köksal. 

"We have to do everything within our power to make sure that these grave violations do not continue. And that includes calling for a ceasefire, and calling for that ceasefire now."

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/gaza-child-death-toll-1.7012927

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Meh, they can "concept" all they want to, this would never happen for many reasons. Inflammatory nonsense.

Not least of which, it would p*ss off the military superpower directly to the south since that would basically open a huge near direct pipeline for related terrorists to make their way into the US.  "Oh I had no idea my uncle was in Hamas, sorry he blew himself up in the middle of Times Square during New Years Eve."

• Like 3

Russia is currently pro Iran for obvious reasons.. ( drone and military purchases ) ..  and pro syria....    So in net effect Russian will support Hamas......   probably not arm them but at least moral support.   I thought Russia the last few years had moved closer to Israel......

Hamas, whose leaders visited Moscow twice in the past year, responded with gratitude. A day after the massacre, senior Hamas official Ali Baraka expressed the view in an interview with Russia Today’s Arabic channel that Russia sympathized with Hamas and was pleased with the war because it drew American attention away from Russia’s war of aggression in Ukraine

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/blog-post/putin-hints-mediator-role-sides-hamas

Edited by moosehead

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Not least of which, it would p*ss off the military superpower directly to the south since that would basically open a huge near direct pipeline for related terrorists to make their way into the US.  "Oh I had no idea my uncle was in Hamas, sorry he blew himself up in the middle of Times Square during New Years Eve."

A lot of people in the US were mad over us taking thousands of Syrian refugees. 2 million Palestinians? Yikes.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

A lot of people in the US were mad over us taking thousands of Syrian refugees. 2 million Palestinians? Yikes.

High cost of housing in Canada right now... surprising that anyone wants to come here.

South Asians immigrants are packing up and moving back to India... more opportunity and better lifestyle back in India...  - not sure if true though...

Edited by moosehead
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, bolt said:

I guess Canada doesn't get a say in this do they?

We respond by sending all of rural New Brunswick and the NE part of Alberta to the formerly Palestinian lands 

Let's se how they like it.

• Haha 2