Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

8 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Jet Pack ?

It's been close to 40 years, I want my freaking hoverboard !

You're just not as old as I am.   I remember reading my Dad's Popular Science magazines in late 60's.  They promised us all jet packs by 2020.

Edited by Satchmo
typos never sleep
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I have zero doubt, Israeli policy & activity have negative impact on life quality for Palestinians outside Israel.

I also believe they will 'Judaize' or attempt to spread their religion. Probably in ways more destructive than having a Mormon ring your doorbell 1st thing Monday morning?

It's Saturday mornings.  

This Australian Jew went to Utah knocking on doors trying to convert Mormons to Athiesim.

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You're just not as old as I am.   I remember reading my Dad's Popular Science magazines in late 60's.  They promised us all jet packs by 2020.

Coming up on 60 and I still want my freaking hoverboard

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I find it ironic that people in Iran, Lebaon, Gaza and many other places would never, ever be able to do this in those countries. 

So I guess the US is bad, except when it isn't. 

It would be great to see this kind of freedom in Gaza. I don't see how stopping the current war helps that become a reality. 

This is only a few months ago.

While this doesn't happen often, and Hamas does what they can to stop it, Palestinians do protest against Hamas 

https://www.timesofisrael.com/protests-against-hamas-reemerge-in-the-streets-of-gaza-but-will-they-persist/

And as the article states, Palestinians are far more outspoken against Hamas on social media now than they used to be.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, moosehead said:

How do you deport a Canadian Citizen - born in Canada.  Deport them to where ?  

Personally i am glad to live in a free country that allows peaceful protests. 

So you are happy that Canadians are displaying the swastika ?

I wouldn't have them deported from the society I live in however we are enlightened enough to ban the Nazi swastika.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/may/11/victoria-to-become-first-state-to-ban-the-nazi-swastika

Up to 12 months in imprisonment, 22k in fines, or both. 

Screw those nazi f#cks 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I know its not fun to see, but people have the right to be asshats here. 

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Credit to the people of Iran is that they do protest and push back.

They have been for years. They get stomped for it, which is your point, but they keep doing it. 

Iran is a complicated country, lots of bad and lots of beautiful. Their culture and history is something to behold. Still a place where people write poetry. 

Did you copy your poem from the old site before goes down ?

That was beautiful writing.

I have copied mine.

2 hours ago, RomanPer said:

This is where you are absolutely wrong. The only religion in history that not only doesn’t have missionaries but is actually actively refusing to engage in it is Judaism. Also, at 50% of the country in Israel is secular.

Yes gotta agree with you there, it is hard to become a Jew.

I qualify on the first account, someone whipped off my foreskin without my consent. 

• Haha 3

Just want to slide back to this issue of "right to protest"

If I am in a peaceful protest and some cop/military come up to me and start questioning me.......asking for ID

I would be really pissed................My right to peaceful protest is in our Constitution

Even worse would be them questioning my brother that has darker skin (It's dirt) (same mom and dad)

No, sir! You can not racially profile, and to think the Canadian Arabs are peacefully protesting, is what makes our country strong, and everyone should support that in principle.

Now, if it becomes something else....then sure........take them down.......like they should anyone that does something illegal.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Riddikulus said:

While the English empire does get a lot of criticism because of how influential they were, due to the territory they held, a lot of their worst atrocities don't get covered nearly as much or are lost to history. After all history is written by the victors, some crimes get whitewashed as a result.

Of course the allies winning was the only acceptable outcome but that doesn't mean that everything done while achieving said victory will be morally seen as being acceptable. People talk about the millions who died because of Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini, but history looks at Churchill quite kindly and how many millions died in Bengal famine, Churchill is on the record saying he hated those people, calling them "beastly people with a beastly religion".

One of the worst atrocities ever committed was genocide of Circassian population in the 19th century committed by the Russian empire. Cherkess people were almost entirely wiped out. Majority of people have never heard of this event. While Armenian genocide has become better known, genocide of Assyrians and Greeks committed by the Turks is still considered relatively unknown. Or what Suharto followers did in Indonesia during “red purge” 50 years ago. Pakistan genocide against Bengalis including mass rapes and atrocities akin to those committed by the Japanese imperial army in 1937 China.

Holodmor was kept buried for decades as well, I know @RomanPer is familiar with it but rest of the world not so much. As you said some events are whitewashed, some are not covered due to lack of interest and others are not published because they are not even acknowledged by the governments or considered PC. 

Edited by CBH1926
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 3

24 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

One of the worst atrocities ever committed was genocide of Circassian population in the 19th century committed by the Russian empire. Cherkess people were almost entirely wiped out. Majority of people have never heard of this event. While Armenian genocide has become better known, genocide of Assyrians and Greeks committed by the Turks is still considered relatively unknown. Or what Suharto followers did in Indonesia during “red purge” 50 years ago. Pakistan genocide against Bengalis including mass rapes and atrocities akin to those committed by the Japanese imperial army in 1937 China.

Holodmor was kept buried for decades as well, I know @RomanPer is familiar with it but rest of the world not so much. As you said some events are whitewashed, some are not covered due to lack of interest and others are not published because they are not even acknowledged by the governments or considered PC. 

Yes I know about the Cherkess people.

I first read about them in a series of SF books about mind/ metaphysical powers.

They are renowned for having more redheads than most other races, though most of their population is dark haired.

They have an unusual number of  " Unicorns " like my son, Red hair with blue eyes. 

As for the Holodomor @Canuck Surfer is well informed about this.

HIs family has done a lot to bring to light that genocide.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Super19 said:

Theres a Jewish movement against this Israeli state leadership. "Israeli government, shame on you!"

https://twitter.com/TorahJudaism/status/1717128836716826646?s=19

My understanding is most Israeli people never wanted this trash government to begin with, its a messed up proportional representation system that allows clowns like Netanyahu to get elected. Whoever can cobble together a coalition takes power. 

From 2014 but worth sharing. This is Israeli residents of Sderot watching Gaza being bombarded and cheering it on, like a fireworks show.

Sderot also used to be an arab village called Huj. Huj's arab inhabitants were actually very friendly to their Jewish neighbors - they even shielded Haganah fighters from the British army. 

The arab inhabitants were violently removed from their homes by the zionist paramilitary forces- some killed, and their homes destroyed. They were sent to Gaza as refugees. 

This is a matter of historical fact - acknowledged by the first Prime Minister of Israel - David Ben Gurion who lamented it, but ultimately refused to let them come home. 

This is also the story shared by the 700,000 Palestinians who are the grandparents, parents, and residents of 70% of Gaza's population today.

If you wish to read about that, here's the link:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-suffering-of-sderot-how-its-true-inhabitants-were-wiped-from-israel-s-maps-and-memories-8348734.html

Edited by pinguin
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, pinguin said:

From 2014 but worth sharing. This is Israeli residents of Sderot watching Gaza being bombarded and cheering it on, like a fireworks show.

Sderot also used to be an arab village called Huj. Huj's arab inhabitants were actually very friendly to their Jewish neighbors - they even shielded Haganah fighters from the British army. 

The arab inhabitants were violently removed from their homes by the zionist paramilitary forces- some killed, and their homes destroyed. They were sent to Gaza as refugees. 

This is a matter of historical fact - acknowledged by the first Prime Minister of Israel - David Ben Gurion who lamented it, but ultimately refused to let them come home. 

This is also the story shared by the 700,000 Palestinians who are the grandparents, parents, and residents of 70% of Gaza's population today.

If you wish to read about that, here's the link:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-suffering-of-sderot-how-its-true-inhabitants-were-wiped-from-israel-s-maps-and-memories-8348734.html

Why is this worth sharing?

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Why is this worth sharing?

Because I'm sick of seeing a bunch of people who just discovered this conflict on October 7th say uninformed things, so I feel obligated to try to provide some historical context to the grievances that have brought us here. 

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

So you are happy that Canadians are displaying the swastika ?

I wouldn't have them deported from the society I live in however we are enlightened enough to ban the Nazi swastika.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/may/11/victoria-to-become-first-state-to-ban-the-nazi-swastika

Up to 12 months in imprisonment, 22k in fines, or both. 

Screw those nazi f#cks 

Prison + a hefty fine for displaying the swastika, and a lifetime of surveillance. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, pinguin said:

Because I'm sick of seeing a bunch of people who just discovered this conflict on October 7th say uninformed things, so I feel obligated to try to provide some historical context to the grievances that have brought us here. 

I think just about everyone here knows the history fairly well.  What do you think is the best way forward?

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I think just about everyone here knows the history fairly well.  What do you think is the best way forward?

I would like that to be true, because I truly believe that if everyone did know the history well, we'd all have one solution we agree on as the morally correct one:

1. Israel continues its democratic and peaceful existence

2. The people who were removed from their homes are allowed to return to those places they were removed from

This would resolve the Palestinians grievance, and there would be no more need for anger. 

Just now, pinguin said:

Did I share information you already had, and that was common knowledge? Or did I spread any misinformation? 

Sounds like you don't appreciate the information that I shared, and I'm keen to hear why.

I think you are trying to use old information to influence people. 

As I said above, there's one goal here, to rid everyone of Hamas.

And look, a new account just jumping right in to the discussion.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I think you are trying to use old information to influence people. 

As I said above, there's one goal here, to rid everyone of Hamas.

And look, a new account just jumping right in to the discussion.

Influence people in a misleading way? Am I lying or in any way being dishonest? Or does the context that you were previously unaware of make you a bit.. uncomfortable because it suggests that there may be a legitimate grievance felt by Palestinians?

There's plenty of tweets and topics discussed here outside of "getting rid of Hamas" including ones shared by yourself. I've seen posts about Suharto in Indonesia, about posters getting pulled down in the UK, and about rallies happening all over the world. These topics are outside of the scope of "getting rid of Hamas", so they are off topic in your opinion?

We just migrated to a new forum Bob.

• Like 2