Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

For a lot of people it is very easy to hate the jews, even if it is only 'this week' and not last year...those same people likely last year would use more veiled terminology. 

Stoking fear of 'the other' is very easy as we are hard wired to fear the 'other' from the get go. If we accept we are animals, as dogs and rats and kangaroos are, then it is easy to call this an instinct built in for self preservation, but I think a lot of groups have learned how to manipulate that animal instinct to great effect: like a trans person now calling for the end of Israel and the rise of a nation who would literally toss that trans person off a rooftop the second they take power. 

Like "defund the police" the wiser among the far left will work this out and it will fade away as they realize they look ridiculous for chanting it. 

Spoiler

i guess that is why I am a Federal Liberal. The far right are dangerous and the far left are retarded. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

For a lot of people it is very easy to hate the jews, even if it is only 'this week' and not last year...those same people likely last year would use more veiled terminology. 

Stoking fear of 'the other' is very easy as we are hard wired to fear the 'other' from the get go. If we accept we are animals, as dogs and rats and kangaroos are, then it is easy to call this an instinct built in for self preservation, but I think a lot of groups have learned how to manipulate that animal instinct to great effect: like a trans person now calling for the end of Israel and the rise of a nation who would literally toss that trans person off a rooftop the second they take power. 

Like "defund the police" the wiser among the far left will work this out and it will fade away as they realize they look ridiculous for chanting it. 

Hide contents

i guess that is why I am a Federal Liberal. The far right are dangerous and the far left are retarded. 

No one here is hating "the jews". 

And I've posted before Jewish people in America, a significant amount, criticising Israel's for their bad actions. 

Supporters of Israel need to understand that criticism of Israel is not critiscm of Jewish people.

• Huggy Bear 1

16 minutes ago, Super19 said:

No one here is hating "the jews". 

And I've posted before Jewish people in America, a significant amount, criticising Israel's for their bad actions. 

Supporters of Israel need to understand that criticism of Israel is not critiscm of Jewish people.

You misunderstand me, i am speaking about the far left folks on social media and with megaphones going crazy about a Palestine from the River to the Sea....

I wasn't talking about you, so sorry for the misunderstanding. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Super19 said:

It's a testimont to how disliked Israel is right now.

It's a testament to how polarized things are politically. If you are on one side of the spectrum you automatically adopt a wide set of beliefs, without any thought or consistency.

Once again, I don't see anyone hating Israel who wasn't hating them on October 1. 

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thanks for the answer.  The first time I saw that, I was like, "huh".  Then I did a quick mental map check and was like, "That's effed up". 

I said early in this thread that the rank and file left would side with the Palestinians, but I didn't think that they would start calling for it's outright destruction.

I guess we'll see if that ridiculous statement catches fire with them or not.

It will 

35 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

You misunderstand me, i am speaking about the far left folks on social media and with megaphones going crazy about a Palestine from the River to the Sea....

I wasn't talking about you, so sorry for the misunderstanding. 

As much as I think Palestine deserves to be free, I don't know what the phrase "from the river to the sea" really implies. I hope it's not radical. Extrmeism from either side using such a phrase is not cool. Im not sure if utterance of that phrase means they want the other side ceasing to exist, but in any case I am not for the destruction of Israel simply because I want a liberation of Palestine. 

I do condemn Israel for its dark cloud it has casted over Gaza, alongside Hamas.

8 minutes ago, Taxi said:

It's a testament to how polarized things are politically. If you are on one side of the spectrum you automatically adopt a wide set of beliefs, without any thought or consistency.

Once again, I don't see anyone hating Israel who wasn't hating them on October 1. 

I don't think you are seeing the sway in opinions happening in real time, which is all over social media.

2 minutes ago, Super19 said:

As much as I think Palestine deserves to be free, I don't know what the phrase "from the river to the sea" really implies. I hope it's not radical. Extrmeism from either side using such a phrase is not cool. Im not sure if utterance of that phrase means they want the other side ceasing to exist, but in any case I am not for the destruction of Israel simply because I want a liberation of Palestine. 

I do condemn Israel for its dark cloud it has casted over Gaza, alongside Hamas.

The "River" is the Jordan River. The "Sea" is the Mediterranean Sea. So that would include all of the land that is Israel right now and the slogan calls for a Palestinian state in all of that territory. 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Super19 said:

I don't think you are seeing the sway in opinions happening in real time, which is all over social media.

I'm seeing the same people on social media who have been outspoken before and after this latest war, on both sides. If anything I'm seeing a lot of the quiet people in the middle state they understand Israel's position this time around, following the attacks of October 7. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taxi said:

The "River" is the Jordan River. The "Sea" is the Mediterranean Sea. So that would include all of the land that is Israel right now and the slogan calls for a Palestinian state in all of that territory. 

I think the vast majority do not call for that, because that implies no more Israel. They want to free Gaza, and free the West Bank.

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's unfortunate that the progressive wing of the left has decided to push some concepts to ridiculous limits, instead of focusing on boring old things like housing.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Taxi said:

I think the phrase is like 'woke' and the meaning of it depends on who is saying it.

If you can get to the paywalled NYT article someone posted earlier I thought it explained the meaning and usage pretty well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/09/us/politics/river-to-the-sea-israel-gaza-palestinians.html

Edited by Satchmo
typo

Just now, Bob Long said:

It's unfortunate that the progressive wing of the left has decided to push some concepts to ridiculous limits, instead of focusing on boring old things like housing.

The progressive left sees themselves as against the Rich, Corporations, capitalism, colonialism, racial inequality, etc...It's pretty easy to use "Zionism" as a substitute for old tropes about Jews. You see it when they try to make the case that Israel is a case of white colonialism. Meanwhile, most Jews in Israel don't even come from Europe, and it's these middle eastern Jews who vote for the right wing parties.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Taxi said:

I'm seeing the same people on social media who have been outspoken before and after this latest war, on both sides. If anything I'm seeing a lot of the quiet people in the middle state they understand Israel's position this time around, following the attacks of October 7. 

The algorithms for our social media feeds must be different, because I am definitely seeing the opposite in effect.

And again, never before have I seen this many Jewish people speaking against the Israeli government, and if you just look, you'll see it too.

2 minutes ago, Taxi said:

The progressive left sees themselves as against the Rich, Corporations, capitalism, colonialism, racial inequality, etc...It's pretty easy to use "Zionism" as a substitute for old tropes about Jews. You see it when they try to make the case that Israel is a case of white colonialism. Meanwhile, most Jews in Israel don't even come from Europe, and it's these middle eastern Jews who vote for the right wing parties.

Ah yes the new blanket catch all, cuz colonialism. 

I'd prefer some focus on extreme housing solutions but what do I know?

6 minutes ago, Taxi said:

Edited by Bob Long

1 minute ago, Super19 said:

The algorithms for our social media feeds must be different, because I am definitely seeing the opposite in effect.

And again, never before have I seen this many Jewish people speaking against the Israeli government, and if you just look, you'll see it too.

This many Jewish people? So far I've seen you post about "Jewish Voices for Peace", which is a minority voice that includes a bunch of non-Jewish people and founded on the principle that they are anti-Zionist.  You also posted Rabbit Weiss, who is so anti-zionist he attended that he attended the "Weiss spoke at the International Conference to Review the Global Vision of the Holocaust," put on by Iran in 2006.

I have many Jewish people in my social media feeds. I have never seen that group so united in their resolve towards military action.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Super19 said:

It's easy to criticize from a safe perch.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Super19 said:

It's a veer off topic, but I'd be willing to bet that's true.  Modern search engines quickly learn what we like to see.