Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

1 minute ago, RomanPer said:

I never said all of Iran is bad. I’m pretty sure I was always referring to the ayatollahs. Persian community in Greater Vancouver always comes out in full force in support of Israel.

I am stating that it is because of the attitude of " the west " , in particular the US, the religious fanatics are able to maintain control of the Iranian population. 

The US has been meddling in one form or another for decades. 

The Iranian people are victims of western foreign policy almost as much as being victims of their leadership. 

As for the situation between Iran and Isreal, I will always remember what the Isreali PM Menachem Begin stated during the Iran - Iraq war, 

" I wish both sides success "

Remember this guy was the leader of a terrorist organisation, the Irgun, who went on to win the nobel peace prize.

I wonder how the families of the victims of the bombing of the King David Hotel feel about this ? 

Me, my family has a personal connection to that terror attack, I am pissed. 

• Sad 1

Fear compounds everything? Not that I blame anyone for such fear. If anything, he is a hero. IDF asks for help to relocate hospital patients. Those in charge don't trust this appeal.

There are UN, US & UK hospital ships offshore; waiting, willing & capable of serving wounded & sick. Helicopters to transport.

• ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Iran has the largest population of Jews in the middle east 

outside of Isreal.

The Iranian people have been pissed at their leaderships foreign policy for decades. 

But hey, Axis of evil right ? 

If it wasn't for that idiot son of an asshole comments, maybe things would be different in Iran.

Iran has about 10k of its 300k Jews remaining. It's a really low bar.

Iran is also responsible for this entire mess. They fund Hamas, Hezbollah, and the other anti Israel militias. They give Hamas and Hezbollah billions of dollars and unlimited weapons to wage futile wars against Israel. The Palestinians are cannon fodder to Iran, who are too scared to ever get involved themselves.

On top of that Iran funds suffering in Syria, Lebanon, Yemen, etc...

For the record, I would never hold local Persians responsible for Iran. They left Iran for a very good reason.

The Iranian government is brutal to it's own people. They don't allow them to have music or dance. They execute women for not covering their hair. They use live ammunition when their own people come out to protest. The Iranian government is evil.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I am stating that it is because of the attitude of " the west " , in particular the US, the religious fanatics are able to maintain control of the Iranian population. 

The US has been meddling in one form or another for decades. 

The Iranian people are victims of western foreign policy almost as much as being victims of their leadership. 

As for the situation between Iran and Isreal, I will always remember what the Isreali PM Menachem Begin stated during the Iran - Iraq war, 

" I wish both sides success "

Remember this guy was the leader of a terrorist organisation, the Irgun, who went on to win the nobel peace prize.

I wonder how the families of the victims of the bombing of the King David Hotel feel about this ? 

Me, my family has a personal connection to that terror attack, I am pissed. 

Iran is maintained by its huge oil reserves and Russia. 25% of Iran's GDP comes from oil and another 10% or so from mining. To put that into perspective, Canada, a large oil producer, gets 8% from oil and mining combined. 

The West definitely played a role in putting the dictatorship in place. But it's not calling Iran evil that keeps them in power. They stay in power because they are a brutal dictatorship. We should call them evil.

Edited by Taxi
  • ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, AriGold said:

What does that have to do with Ari Gold playing a Jewish character in Entourage ?

The number of children killed in Gaza has surpassed the annual number of children killed in conflict globally; the number of civilians killed in Gaza has now exceeded the total death toll in Ukraine since February 2022.

There is a tipping point when even for the defenders of such a project, the faint question rings louder and louder in the collective conscience: how far is too far?

There can be no going back to the promises of security based on what was before. There can be no going forward in peace if it means more and more blood of children and civilians haunting successive generations who will have to take responsibility for the actions unfolding before our eyes today.

As a South African who has lived to cross the Rubicon, I hope this catastrophe will force Israelis to see that only a just and inclusive political solution based on equal citizenship for all is going to bring them freedom from fear.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2023/11/16/apartheid-south-africa-reached-a-tipping-point-israel-will-too

Edited by moosehead

Local CTV is reporting that the IDF has realeased a video showing some duffle bags with guns and military equipment from the Al shifa hospital.

However, so far...no signs of tunnels or any sophisticated command center.

• Like 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Local CTV is reporting that the IDF has realeased a video showing some duffle bags with guns and military equipment from the Al shifa hospital.

However, so far...no signs of tunnels or any sophisticated command center.

If Shifa hospital was a main center for Hamas, why is there only some duffle bags of guns and no army under there?

Just now, Super19 said:

If Shifa hospital was a main center for Hamas, why is there only some duffle bags of guns and no army under there?

I wondered how the Oct 7 attack even happened as I always thought Isreal had top tier intel and defense. 

Now, I am starting to doubt that intel and understand how the massive Hamas attack happened.

For weeks we have been hearing about this command center but IDF themselves are admitting they cant find anything yet?...

oh boy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moosehead said:

The number of children killed in Gaza has surpassed the annual number of children killed in conflict globally; the number of civilians killed in Gaza has now exceeded the total death toll in Ukraine since February 2022.

There is a tipping point when even for the defenders of such a project, the faint question rings louder and louder in the collective conscience: how far is too far?

There can be no going back to the promises of security based on what was before. There can be no going forward in peace if it means more and more blood of children and civilians haunting successive generations who will have to take responsibility for the actions unfolding before our eyes today.

As a South African who has lived to cross the Rubicon, I hope this catastrophe will force Israelis to see that only a just and inclusive political solution based on equal citizenship for all is going to bring them freedom from fear.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2023/11/16/apartheid-south-africa-reached-a-tipping-point-israel-will-too

Are you, in any way, actually reading what you're replying to? While I appreciate you adding in an opinion piece about what's happening, it has absolutely nothing to do with the post you replied to. Or are you just randomly replying without paying attention to anything else in the thread? It makes it difficult to take you seriously at that point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, StrayDog said:

Are you, in any way, actually reading what you're replying to? While I appreciate you adding in an opinion piece about what's happening, it has absolutely nothing to do with the post you replied to. Or are you just randomly replying without paying attention to anything else in the thread? It makes it difficult to take you seriously at that point.

I have him on ignore, he just sprays this thread with this stuff. Makes it unreadable imo. 

• Cheers 1

Just an FYI, over in Syria, the Hague is finally looking into a matter involving war crimes: for the first time in a dozen years. It makes the incessant howls about genocide in a very controlled response to Oct 7th even more ridiculous. Civilian deaths are always horrible, but This limited action against Hamas, who are using human shields is not, in my opinion going to become a war crimes trial, not at this stage, and the bulk of the air assault is finished now, so not likely to equate to one in the near future either. The thin veil of hate helps jump to those conclusions though. 

2 hours ago
For the first time, an international court has looked into violations committed in Syria during 12 years of conflict - Reuters

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StrayDog said:

These are the tactics of the Anti-Israel crowd. The area and the people have a complex history, and the current events are wildly complex. The anti-Israel crowd ignores the history, facts and current events and just name calls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Taxi said:

These are the tactics of the Anti-Israel crowd. The area and the people have a complex history, and the current events are wildly complex. The anti-Israel crowd ignores the history, facts and current events and just name calls.

Israel is using collective punishment as a way to get back at Hamas and to remind everyone that they are the big bad dog in the region.

This deserves condemnation. Israel can exist, but they have no right to oppress Palestine.

1 minute ago, Super19 said:

Israel is using collective punishment as a way to get back at Hamas and to remind everyone that they are the big bad dog in the region.

This deserves condemnation. Israel can exist, but they have no right to oppress Palestine.

Is every action of Hamas not "collective punishment". Did an elderly peace activist or hundreds of festival goers in the South of Israel deserve to die because of settler activity? How do you constantly call out Israel for collective punishment without acknowledging who they are up against?

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Super19 said:

Palestenians themselves are up against the evil forces of the IDF and Israel. 

You talk about the complex history in your last post but immediately justify Israels action based on the most recent events. What about the last several decades of Palestenians up against the oppressive nature of Israel? Palestinian plight for freedom has been sympathized and ignored for, for a long time.

Forget the history then. Lets isolate Oct 7 to a singular event even though its not. Collective punishment is wrong. Hamas is wrong for the attack, Israel is being wrong for the response. 

The people off Gaza deserve to stop being oppressed by the subhuman vermin they call a government that Israel is currently working to exterminate.  They cannot have freedom while Hamas terrorists are allowed to live.

• ThereItIs 1

40 minutes ago, Super19 said:

Palestenians themselves are up against the evil forces of the IDF and Israel. 

You talk about the complex history in your last post but immediately justify Israels action based on the most recent events. What about the last several decades of Palestenians up against the oppressive nature of Israel? Palestinian plight for freedom has been sympathized and ignored for, for a long time.

Forget the history then. Lets isolate Oct 7 to a singular event even though its not. Collective punishment is wrong. Hamas is wrong for the attack, Israel is being wrong for the response. 

Somewhere in this lengthy thread is a quote from a professor who said there will be no resolution without 'forgetting' about past transgressions from either side.  If not forgetting, just putting them aside for a while in order to better focus on a better future.   I feel the past should never be forgotten but I still saw wisdom in her statement.

If that approach is followed, I hope truth and reconciliation will also follow.

Israel is truly between a rock and a hard place.    They were subjected to atrocities on Oct 7th and must act.  The whole world watches as they do so.   It seems most are hoping they can conduct a war in a completely humanitarian fashion.    That's hard to do I would think.

Edited by Satchmo
typo

1 hour ago, Super19 said:

Thank you for confirming what @Taxi wrote in the post that you are replying to.