Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

2 hours ago, Super19 said:

At least they didn't bomb the hospitals like in Gaza. So that's good I guess.

You mean, like Islamic Jihad did with the hospital in Gaza? Or do you really think people forgot the actual facts and will follow your alternate reality spin?

Remember when everyone was super confident that this wouldn't happen?  That it was only a small number of hard line officials?  A super minority of people that wanted to take the land and settle it?  That the creeping annexation and theft of lands was not viable, justified or in the plan? 

So this is awkward. 

While Israel's government has been vague about its vision for what happens to the Gaza Strip — and the roughly two and a half million Palestinians who live there — after the war, the country's far-right settler movement has a very clear idea of what it wants.

Over the weekend, thousands of right-wing activists attended the "Settlement Brings Security" conference in Jerusalem. On display in the foyer was a huge green map of Gaza, dotted with clusters of proposed Jewish settlements.

The map showed a Star of David placed on top of Gaza City. Prior to Israel's recent assault, which drove out most of its population, it was Gaza's largest community, with 600,000 Palestinian residents.

Organizers at the conference stood behind booths handing out T-shirts and brochures inviting potential settlers to make early plans to relocate.

"Prime Minister [Benjamin] Netanyahu left us an opening for returning to Gaza," said chief settler organizer Daniella Weiss, one of the movement's most prominent voices. "He invites this pressure that you see here today," she told CBC News at the event. 

The implication was that the conference was actually part of a broader — but not yet public  — Israeli government strategy to occupy the Palestinian territory when the war ends.

Officially, Netanyahu does not support resettlement of Gaza, saying in November it was "not a realistic goal."

During talks last week with the United States, Israel's defence minister, Yoav Gallant, reportedly ruled it out again. 

But underscoring how politically powerful the settler movement has become in Israel, nearly a third of Netanyahu's cabinet ministers as well as up to 15 additional Knesset members, including members of Netanyahu's Likud Party, attended Settlement Brings Security.

Among the highest-profile attendees were National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir and Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, both of whom are reviled by many Israelis on the political left and centre, who accuse them of being racists. 

"If you don't want another 7th of October, you have to return home and control the territory," Ben-Gvir told the crowd in a keynote address.

Establishing Jewish settlements in Gaza would be illegal under international law, and the forced removal of Palestinians from their communities would amount to a war crime.  

Nonetheless, Israeli political watchers say within a society struggling to deal with the trauma of the Hamas-led attacks on Oct. 7, which killed about 1,200 people, the idea of expanding Jewish communities into Gaza under the supervision of Israel's military is seeing growing support.

"We can no longer look at this as some kind of fringe phenomena," said Dahlia Scheindlin, an Israeli-Canadian pollster and political analyst based in Tel Aviv.

"Even if the idea [of settling Gaza] sounds far-fetched right now, we have to realize that over time, Israel has developed a tradition of beginning with what seem like extreme policies on the margins and [them] then creeping into the mainstream," Scheindlin told CBC News.

"I would expect that this government over the next number of years will make efforts to increasingly legitimize the idea of Israel occupying the Gaza Strip and rebuilding settlements, and then little by little, try to lay the groundwork to do it."

Israel's air and ground assaults on Gaza have left the territory in ruins. Gaza's health ministry says more than 26,750 Palestinians have been killed in the war so far, the vast majority of them civilians.

A recent study by the World Bank concluded 45 per cent of buildings in Gaza are likely damaged beyond repair, and it's unclear whether hundreds of thousands of people who've been forced out of their homes will be able to return.

Many on Israel's right have an unshakable belief that the 2005 withdrawal helped Hamas embed itself in Gaza and directly led to the attacks of Oct. 7. What would happen to the more than 2.3 million Palestinians who now live there is something they don't bother with.

In his speech at the conference, Ben-Gvir said, "We must encourage voluntary migration."

• Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

you know, there's kind of a lesson here. You posted another tweet where you focused on the spin and not the real story. 

What was the story re. terror threat attack on the hospital in Jenin?

Sectarian violence at a Catholic Church in Middle East Associated Turkey.

Turkey censoring any internal reporting of the event. 

Minorities continuing to be targeted, this video speculates, by Islamic militants. Specifically remnants or component parts of ISIS.   

1 hour ago, RomanPer said:

You mean, like Islamic Jihad did with the hospital in Gaza? Or do you really think people forgot the actual facts and will follow your alternate reality spin?

I think the Zionist spin is playing some people - thankfully not all or even most who even care to be informed, like a fiddle. 

1 hour ago, Super19 said:

I think the Zionist spin is playing some people - thankfully not all or even most who even care to be informed, like a fiddle. 

Keep on trying to rattle me. I treat everything you write here as comedy, meaning, not serious at all. So, you won't get a reaction. Keep trolling elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Super19 said:

Last time I heard the phrase "people who care to be informed" was among the trumpist anti vaxxers. Congratulations, you are in good company 🙂 

18 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Last time I heard the phrase "people who care to be informed" was among the trumpist anti vaxxers. Congratulations, you are in good company 🙂 

Yeah well I'm not in the antivax camp nor am I trolling.

People unfortunately do have to do some work to be well informed. You had headlines non stop plastered everywhere of dead beheaded babies and Biden speaking about it conference after conference but the corrections surrounding it have been in the fine print.

5 minutes ago, Super19 said:

Yeah well I'm not in the antivax camp nor am I trolling.

People unfortunately do have to do some work to be well informed. You had headlines non stop plastered everywhere of dead beheaded babies and Biden speaking about it conference after conference but the corrections surrounding it have been in the fine print.

Please show me these "headlines" in my posts "plastered everywhere". Plus, does it make that much of a difference to you whether the babies were beheaded or just simply killed?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Remember when everyone was super confident that this wouldn't happen?  That it was only a small number of hard line officials?  A super minority of people that wanted to take the land and settle it?  That the creeping annexation and theft of lands was not viable, justified or in the plan? 

So this is awkward. 

While Israel's government has been vague about its vision for what happens to the Gaza Strip — and the roughly two and a half million Palestinians who live there — after the war, the country's far-right settler movement has a very clear idea of what it wants.

Over the weekend, thousands of right-wing activists attended the "Settlement Brings Security" conference in Jerusalem. On display in the foyer was a huge green map of Gaza, dotted with clusters of proposed Jewish settlements.

The map showed a Star of David placed on top of Gaza City. Prior to Israel's recent assault, which drove out most of its population, it was Gaza's largest community, with 600,000 Palestinian residents.

Organizers at the conference stood behind booths handing out T-shirts and brochures inviting potential settlers to make early plans to relocate.

"Prime Minister [Benjamin] Netanyahu left us an opening for returning to Gaza," said chief settler organizer Daniella Weiss, one of the movement's most prominent voices. "He invites this pressure that you see here today," she told CBC News at the event. 

The implication was that the conference was actually part of a broader — but not yet public  — Israeli government strategy to occupy the Palestinian territory when the war ends.

Officially, Netanyahu does not support resettlement of Gaza, saying in November it was "not a realistic goal."

During talks last week with the United States, Israel's defence minister, Yoav Gallant, reportedly ruled it out again. 

But underscoring how politically powerful the settler movement has become in Israel, nearly a third of Netanyahu's cabinet ministers as well as up to 15 additional Knesset members, including members of Netanyahu's Likud Party, attended Settlement Brings Security.

Among the highest-profile attendees were National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir and Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, both of whom are reviled by many Israelis on the political left and centre, who accuse them of being racists. 

"If you don't want another 7th of October, you have to return home and control the territory," Ben-Gvir told the crowd in a keynote address.

Establishing Jewish settlements in Gaza would be illegal under international law, and the forced removal of Palestinians from their communities would amount to a war crime.  

Nonetheless, Israeli political watchers say within a society struggling to deal with the trauma of the Hamas-led attacks on Oct. 7, which killed about 1,200 people, the idea of expanding Jewish communities into Gaza under the supervision of Israel's military is seeing growing support.

"We can no longer look at this as some kind of fringe phenomena," said Dahlia Scheindlin, an Israeli-Canadian pollster and political analyst based in Tel Aviv.

"Even if the idea [of settling Gaza] sounds far-fetched right now, we have to realize that over time, Israel has developed a tradition of beginning with what seem like extreme policies on the margins and [them] then creeping into the mainstream," Scheindlin told CBC News.

"I would expect that this government over the next number of years will make efforts to increasingly legitimize the idea of Israel occupying the Gaza Strip and rebuilding settlements, and then little by little, try to lay the groundwork to do it."

Israel's air and ground assaults on Gaza have left the territory in ruins. Gaza's health ministry says more than 26,750 Palestinians have been killed in the war so far, the vast majority of them civilians.

A recent study by the World Bank concluded 45 per cent of buildings in Gaza are likely damaged beyond repair, and it's unclear whether hundreds of thousands of people who've been forced out of their homes will be able to return.

Many on Israel's right have an unshakable belief that the 2005 withdrawal helped Hamas embed itself in Gaza and directly led to the attacks of Oct. 7. What would happen to the more than 2.3 million Palestinians who now live there is something they don't bother with.

In his speech at the conference, Ben-Gvir said, "We must encourage voluntary migration."

not sure there's anyone here supporting these folks, is there? 

2 hours ago, Taxi said:

I think you have things reversed. The militants should not have been in the hospital in the first place. Israel has every right to go after a militant hiding in a hospital. The fact they managed to get their targets without harming any innocents should be commended. 

I didn't bother to come here after reading about that this morning. I knew that A)Hamas claimed the three jihadis as members of Hamas. B)they were armed and hiding in a hospital, like Hamas does routinely, and C)Israeli operatives were completely correct to try to apprehend them and lastly D)there was no one else harmed in taking out the terrorists. I also knew certain folks here would try to be on the side of Terrorist Jihadis without sounding too much like a terrorist jihadi themselves. 

I am glad that no one else was hurt and the terror cell was taken out of commission. I would think the genuine hospital staff and clients are also glad. 

It kind of reminds me of a childs game we would play in grade school: "home base safe, No outs, stompsies no erasies" when a kid playing kick the can would make it to the supposed 'safe spot'. The terror cell was certainly counting in being home safe in the hospital. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Had they surrendered instead they would be safe in a cell somewhere, alive. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

5 hours ago, Super19 said:

Sorry friend but IMHAO it’s always smartest to support those who accept our way of life and not those who want to kill us. The IDF are eliminating Hamas. And that’s good for us. And it’s also, in the long run, good for the people of Gaza. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sorry friend but IMHAO it’s always smartest to support those who accept our way of life and not those who want to kill us. The IDF are eliminating Hamas. And that’s good for us. And it’s also, in the long run, good for the people of Gaza. 

Except for all the innocent deaths at the hands of those who accept ‘our way of life’. 

I’m sure that’s great for the Palestinians who are collateral damage for ‘our way of life’ decision makers. 

Just sayin’. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

This is not what we are supposed to be about. How can we support this?spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Super19 said:

This is not what we are supposed to be about. How can we support this?spacer.png

The blame for that atrocious situation also lays at the feet of Iran/Islamic Jihad. 

It’s shared blame and responsibility. 

There’s no good actor in this situation. 

Hammas unilaterally surrenders Wednesday, the citizens they represent go to bed with full bellies Thursday. You can't expect your hated enemy to feed you after you murder 1200 of them at a peace festival and continue to fire rockets at their cities.

They have no chance to defeat Israel, and the logical choice is to surrender.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Hammas unilaterally surrenders Wednesday, the citizens they represent go to bed with full bellies Thursday. You can't expect your hated enemy to feed you after you murder 1200 of them at a peace festival and continue to fire rockets at their cities.

Hamas is not in charge though brother. 

It’s the Islamic Jihad backed by Iran that are providing intelligence and weapons and keeping this de facto war with the West ongoing. 

The Palestinians are simply the venue and the collateral. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Except for all the innocent deaths at the hands of those who accept ‘our way of life’. 

I’m sure that’s great for the Palestinians who are collateral damage for ‘our way of life’ decision makers. 

Just sayin’. 

This is why we are friends..right here.

You have a gigantic heart.

You have compassion and empathy for all people. 

That's the only criteria I have in regards to people being my friend, they have to have a good heart. 

Don't care what you own, what you have achieved, it's all about being a good person.

" Cause it's not what you've done, it's what you've been "

Fat " the heeb " Mike Burkett 

I don't see Israel, who are never gonna be defeated in this conflict, to be the first ones to come to peace talks. They don't nearly have as much to lose if this goes on. 

Peace would have to come from the Palestinian side or Israel accomplishing its mission of destroying any threats.

Any lasting peace would probably need a 3rd party to help facilitate and maintain it. Particularly one that shares the same mutual feelings toward Iran as Israel, like Saudi.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

This is why we are friends..right here.

You have a gigantic heart.

You have compassion and empathy for all people. 

That's the only criteria I have in regards to people being my friend, they have to have a good heart. 

Don't care what you own, what you have achieved, it's all about being a good person.

" Cause it's not what you've done, it's what you've been "

I have a heart. 

I have a terrible other side too. 

They clash at times. 

Right now, I don’t want Palestinian civilians killed by an intrusive Israeli incursion. 

At the same time, I want Israelis to be safe from arbitrary attacks on them by people who are a proxy for Iran. 

This is the thing, this battle isn’t about Israel vs Palestinians, it’s about Israel and the West against Iranian hardliners. 

The victims are the innocent Palestinians and Israelis. 

If I had my way, the West would obliterate the Iranian leadership and their Republican Guard. 

The citizens of Iran are just passengers on the ride of their idiotic leaders. If they revolt, they get no support and get killed.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am not going to argue about the history of this conflict anymore, there's no point.

As you state, it's a circle jerk.

What I will discuss is the humanitarian side of this conflict. 

I don't expect Israel to feed the starving Palestinians, I expect the Israelis to let the international community, those who want to, to feed them.

My brother told me yesterday he saw footage of a truck that rocked up in Gaza with bags of flower.

He said it looked like a horde of ants descended on the truck. 

" Cause when morality's been blurred 

Procreation seems absurd

And human rights and freedom are just words

That have lost all their meaning 

In a world that is bleeding "