Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

18 minutes ago, Super19 said:

You know what she said was fcked up. Made some international headlines for all the wrong reasons. Proud we made the right decision.

I doubt I'll get an answer but how do you feel about what the Langara instructor said? 

6 hours ago, RomanPer said:

One little problem - that liberal government didn’t even last a year - from February till October 1917.

One big problem, no one economic theory works properly for everyone.

What do you think of that transfer of wealth during Covid in the world's largest economy ?

That Paragon of Capitalism 

" The top 1 percent of Americans have taken 50 trillion from the bottom 90 percent- and that's made the US less secure "

https://time.com/5888024/50-trillion-income-inequality-america/

That's totally fair and just right ?

That " top " 1 percent works so much harder and deserves that extra 50 trillion.

At the expense of those less fortunate than them. 

11.6 percent of Americans, 38 million people live below the poverty line, but they're all just bums right ?

The point I am making is greedy men twist all these systems so most of the wealth has ended with with with a small percentage of the population. 

It has been this way for ever. 

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I initially found the story funny, but this is a sad day for freedom of expression in Canada. IMO this really shows how deep the pressure runs on the left to conform with whats popular at the moment. 

B.C. premier says Selina Robinson stepping down as cabinet minister over comments on Middle East

British Columbia's Post-Secondary Education Minister Selina Robinson is stepping down amid an outcry over her remarks that modern Israel was founded on "a crappy piece of land."

Premier David Eby says Robinson's "belittling" remarks were incompatible with her remaining in cabinet, although she will stay in the NDP caucus. He said Robinson's focus will now be on addressing "the depth of the hurt that she has caused" by her remarks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/david-eby-news-conference-selina-robinson-1.7105360

Particularly when you compare it to the language a Langara instructor gets to use and keep her job:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/02/01/bc-selina-robinson-langara-instructor-hamas/

when i spent 7 months in the Golan one time I came away saying out loud "I can't believe they have been fighting over the same rocks for thousands of years". I took her comments as similar to my own and didn't even bat an eye.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

when i spent 7 months in the Golan one time I came away saying out loud "I can't believe they have been fighting over the same rocks for thousands of years". I took her comments as similar to my own and didn't even bat an eye.

We are living in a time where many people get offended by anything. It is really getting out of hand.

She is not wrong on her perception of the land that Israel was founded on and I honestly don't think that she is belittling Israel in any way.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

We are living in a time where many people get offended by anything. It is really getting out of hand.

She is not wrong on her perception of the land that Israel was founded on and I honestly don't think that she is belittling Israel in any way.

It's not really about being offended, it's about control of a narrative.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Funny, Joe Rogan called Canada a " frozen communist shithole "

Hasn't he just signed some record setting deal with Spotify.

This minister calls Isreal a " crappy piece of land " and she has to step down. 

Shows you that being a loud mouthed attention seeker not only pays off big time, but you can also say whatever you want and get away with it.

Planet earth.....go figure......

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

One big problem, no one economic theory works properly for everyone.

What do you think of that transfer of wealth during Covid in the world's largest economy ?

That Paragon of Capitalism 

" The top 1 percent of Americans have taken 50 trillion from the bottom 90 percent- and that's made the US less secure "

https://time.com/5888024/50-trillion-income-inequality-america/

That's totally fair and just right ?

That " top " 1 percent works so much harder and deserves that extra 50 trillion.

At the expense of those less fortunate than them. 

11.6 percent of Americans, 38 million people live below the poverty line, but they're all just bums right ?

The point I am making is greedy men twist all these systems so most of the wealth has ended with with with a small percentage of the population. 

It has been this way for ever. 

What does all of this have to with the fact that democratic revolution of February 1917 in Russia turned into communists revolution in October 1917? You just turned the conversation not just 180 degrees, but 540…

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Super19 said:

You know what she said was fcked up. Made some international headlines for all the wrong reasons. Proud we made the right decision.

Very interesting case.

Pissed off both supporters of Israel & Palestinian causes.

11 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Particularly when you compare it to the language a Langara instructor gets to use and keep her job:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/02/01/bc-selina-robinson-langara-instructor-hamas/

I abhor the opinion offered, this Langara teacher. Also the timing.

Robinson was, however a public servant. Made statements in a public role as a Minister. Generally offensive, dismissive as to why should people care about this shitty little piece of 'life history of one of the worlds most sacred places?'  The instructor was not teaching a class, and is employed by a private faculty.  If a speech made at a public rally? Not representing her faculty is made.  In my opinion it should have to break hate laws, incite violence to call for being sacked.

That said?

It's perfectly legal to pay out all appropriate severance & cut ties. No one has to employ someone who draws attention to a business, of any sort, that does not represent a public image consistent with core values that are within reasonable equality.  

• Vintage 1

On 2/5/2024 at 2:57 PM, Ilunga said:

And they keep losing land, not just due to war, but what the international community deem to be illegal settlements.

This is a repeat statement. True!  Absolutely true...

Yet is a justification, not solution driven debate point. What can Palestinians do that will create common ground towards peace? 

39 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

What does all of this have to with the fact that democratic revolution of February 1917 in Russia turned into communists revolution in October 1917? You just turned the conversation not just 180 degrees, but 540…

I thought the basis of this whole discussion, that I started by stating I admired Marx's basic economic principles

Every person should have a job 

There is an eternally stable economic system

Efficient distribution of resources

And the fact that these things form the basis of forming strong social communities.

I also agree with him when he wrote people should have equal rights.

As I have pointed out, when he wrote that his manifesto in 1867 most " average " people did not have these things.

You championed Capitalism stating it has worked for you.

I stated that it also has helped me in my chosen field of endeavour.

You have pointed out how communism was perverted by " men " and the societies where this economic theory was employed have failed to deliver on those ideals.

What I am pointing out is Capitalism is failing to.

As I have pointed out, and you fail to acknowledge, the " elites " of capitalism are controlling more of the wealth each year 

" Richest 1 percent bag nearly twice as much as the wealth as the rest of the world put together over the past two years "

https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/richest-1-bag-nearly-twice-much-wealth-rest-world-put-together-over-past-two-years

" While ordinary people are making daily sacrifices on essentials like food, the super rich have out find their wildest dreams. " 

" Excess corporate profits have driven have driven at least of half of inflation in Australia and the UK.

" At the same time at least 1.7 billion workers now live in countries where inflation is now outpacing wages and over 820 million people, roughly one in ten people on earth are going hungry. Women and girls often eat least and last, and make up nearly 60 percent of the worlds population " 

According to the world bank, extreme poverty increased in 2020 for the first time in 25 years. 

At the same time extreme wealth has risen dramatically since the pandemic began "

Gotta love this little titbit 

" Elon Musk paid a "true tax rate " of 3.27 percent between 2014 to 2018, according to Pro Publica "

How's capitalism working out for Aussies 

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/costs/vulnerable-aussies-living-on-just-6-a-day-amid-costofliving-crisis/news-story/9baf04e8f0edd567bc500f186b200f0b 

" Parents have confessed to skipping meals and selling their clothes to keep a roof over their childrens heads amid a horror cost of living crisis " 

" Apart from paying for essential living costs, such as housing, food, utilities, health and fuel the typical Australian has nothing left to spend or save "

" Meanwhile 52 percent of people are skipping meals to save money and 75 percent are suffering from housing stress " 

At the same time our 

" nations richest one percent have accumulated 10 times more wealth than the bottom 50 percent over the last decade "

https://www.indaily.com.au/news/2023/01/16/australias-rich-get-richer-despite-inflation

I have already posted those disgusting figures from the US, that 

Paragon of Capitalism. 

So we get to vote the people in that are manipulated by special interest groups( corporate lobbying)

Our quality of life is going downhill.

We can call our leaders assholes however that doesn't change anything.

Do you know what the most precious thing we all have apart from the people we love, something no amount of money can replace once it's gone ?

Time.

" In Russia male life expectancy at birth fell from 64.2 years in 1989"(end of communism)" to 57.6 years in 1994 a decline 6.6 years in just half a decade. Female life expectancy at birth fell by 3.3 years over the same period "

Is this just a " coincidence " or is there a link.

Remember your vaunted Isreali tech industry that led the world ?

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/business/2024-02-04/ty-article-magazine/.premium/dark-clouds-gather-for-israels-tech-industry/0000018d-5fc1-d7f9-a3af-dfe939060000

" The signs are now mounting that the sector is being left behind the the rest of the world " 

The basis of my whole discussion again is none of these economic theories have delivered.

Capitalism delivered for a while but the figures in regards to distribution of wealth are a damning indictment as to how it is working for the " average " person.

27 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

This is a repeat statement. True!  Absolutely true...

Yet is a justification, not solution driven debate point. What can Palestinians do that will create common ground towards peace? 

There is nothing they can do.

It is pretty obvious that Isreal has never wanted the Palestinians to have a state of their own since Netanyahu has been in power.

How many people apart from you, myself and super 19 in this thread have stated that Palestinians are entitled to a state of their own ?

Why has the world while, condemning the illegal settlements, sit back and do nothing about them ? 

Face it brother, while governments may make statements that pander to the people in our societies that call for justice for the Palestinians, it's all talk, no action.

Edited by Ilunga

20 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I wouldn't be worrying just yet about what Bibi will do next. Last poll I saw in January had him at 15% support, he's likely toast.

Rather than my own editorials;

Here is a video about internal pressures within his govt..

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Funny, Joe Rogan called Canada a " frozen communist shithole "

Hasn't he just signed some record setting deal with Spotify.

This minister calls Isreal a " crappy piece of land " and she has to step down. 

Shows you that being a loud mouthed attention seeker not only pays off big time, but you can also say whatever you want and get away with it.

Planet earth.....go figure......

Free speech homie.  
No way should she have been punished for such a minuscule comment, and only pussies are offended by Joe

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

There is nothing they can do.

It is pretty obvious that Isreal has never wanted the Palestinians to have a state of their own since Netanyahu has been in power.

How many people apart from you, myself and super 19 in this thread have stated that Palestinians are entitled to a state of their own ?

Why has the world while, condemning the illegal settlements, sit back and do nothing about them ? 

Face it brother, while governments may make statements that pander to the people in our societies that call for justice for the Palestinians, it's all talk, no action.

Still true. There are other factors, but true. As you present it.

These people, Palestinians, still have to decide they want peace more than continuing conflict!

Especially, fair or logically otherwise, because a military disadvantage is part of the equation?  Part, yet compounding opinion is against Israel at this moment. Extensively.

If Hamas throws down their arms, Israel cannot keep attacking?  It will have no standing, no place in the world!  

Hamas should not let themselves & their civilians get crushed. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I abhor the opinion offered, this Langara teacher. Also the timing.

Robinson was, however a public servant. Made statements in a public role as a Minister. Generally offensive, dismissive as to why should people care about this shitty little piece of 'life history of one of the worlds most sacred places?'  The instructor was not teaching a class, and is employed by a private faculty.  If a speech made at a public rally? Not representing her faculty is made.  In my opinion it should have to break hate laws, incite violence to call for being sacked.

That said?

It's perfectly legal to pay out all appropriate severance & cut ties. No one has to employ someone who draws attention to a business, of any sort, that does not represent a public image consistent with core values that are within reasonable equality.  

All true. The part I find troubling tho is how the support on the left in BC is more powerful in its support of someone cheering for terrorists.

I think it's ridiculous how the ex- Minister is being treated, it was a dumb thing to say but hardly in need of anti- Muslim training. She's being publicly shame walked to appease a very vocal segment of the NDP base 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1

Interesting article on the views on Israel by age: https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-generation-gap-in-opinions-toward-israel/#:~:text=Older Americans have more favorable,older and younger Jewish Americans.

Not surprising that the older you are, the more likely a person is to support Israel and not view it as apartheid or the same as racism in the US. 

One part I did find interesting is while younger people seem to be less likely to hold this view, they also don't seem know what the solution is. The % of "say nothing/unsure" is quite high in the U40s. 

It kind of aligns with the social media we've seen in this thread, a lot of criticism with no solutions. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Interesting article on the views on Israel by age: https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-generation-gap-in-opinions-toward-israel/#:~:text=Older Americans have more favorable,older and younger Jewish Americans.

Not surprising that the older you are, the more likely a person is to support Israel and not view it as apartheid or the same as racism in the US. 

One part I did find interesting is while younger people seem to be less likely to hold this view, they also don't seem know what the solution is. The % of "say nothing/unsure" is quite high in the U40s. 

It kind of aligns with the social media we've seen in this thread, a lot of criticism with no solutions. 

It's interesting to see whether this will remain the same in the future, as the current young generation grows up and learns the real life. You know what they say - a 20 year old liberal is a 40 year conservative (once they start paying taxes) 🙂 

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

It's interesting to see whether this will remain the same in the future, as the current young generation grows up and learns the real life. You know what they say - a 20 year old liberal is a 40 year conservative (once they start paying taxes) 🙂 

I do wonder if this is part of Bibi's calculation? if he thinks Israel is going to lose US support as millennials and z's age, does that help to explain some of whats going on?