Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Easily the most well thought out, nuanced thing I've read in this thread. 

Yep. I don’t agree with all of it, particularly the fact that he doesn’t see the Brit’s/Zionist settlers as colonizers, but overall this is a very good read for anyone who’s just discovering this conflict for the first time. 

this is the best quote of it all: 

"Hamas would absolutely execute the ACAB lefties cheering on horrific violence against Israelis if they lived in Gaza & U.S. right-wingers blindly cheering on Israeli subjugation of Palestinians would rebel twice as violently if Americans were subjected to similar occupation."

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

Yep. I don’t agree with all of it, particularly the fact that he doesn’t see the Brit’s/Zionist settlers as colonizers, but overall this is a very good read for anyone who’s just discovering this conflict for the first time. 

this is the best quote of it all: 

"Hamas would absolutely execute the ACAB lefties cheering on horrific violence against Israelis if they lived in Gaza & U.S. right-wingers blindly cheering on Israeli subjugation of Palestinians would rebel twice as violently if Americans were subjected to similar occupation."

Ding, ding, ding…. We have a winner.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, eeeeeeeeergh said:

Americans cheered on the invasions in Afghanistan and Iraq, the coalition of the willing was never truly held accountable for the millions of civilians who died as a consequence of those invasions.

There were also a ton of protests regarding the Iraq invasion though.  I've personally suggested in this thread that Bush should stand trial for war crimes.  Ultimately, everyone in this thread wants both sides to stop killing each other, regardless of who we think deserves most of the blame.

I think Afghanistan was more of a grey area, but that's for another thread as I don't want to derail this one.

8 hours ago, Provost said:

This particular source is just the numbers since 2008 and excludes the current numbers.  You can go look and find other versions.  The wiki link you included is pretty random and thin and even notes it does not include “unnecessary deaths”.  In a hot topic like this, wiki entries that can be edited by random individuals is less than useless.

It notes that it excludes any deaths on the Palestinian side that weren’t verified by at least two independent sources (but includes unverified Israeli deaths that have been reported in media).  It recognizes that it undercounts due to the stringent verification.  It also excludes the deaths that result from lack of access to medicine like now when hospitals have been bombed and electricity, water, and medicine has been blockaded.  Those are indirect deaths.

Note the numbers of women and children is significant.

https://www.ochaopt.org/data/casualties

I am coming from a place where I was in some of the worst conflicts in recent history as a soldier from

the 80’s-2000’s.  I have a pretty good sense on how awful both sides of these things are, and how different things look on the ground compared with how our media has to pick a good guy and a bad guy to make it simple and easy for the public to understand. 

I suspect that if we asked everyone in this conversation who has ever had to pile up bodies of kids macheted to death just to clear a road after ethnic cleansing,  and knows what that looks and smells like.  I am probably the only one that has to raise their hand. You folks have the privilege to be able to intellectualize this through whatever filters and biases you have.

Thank you for your service my friend.  If you don’t mind me asking, where were you stationed? 

I didn’t know we had a veteran in here. Learn something new every day. 

• Like 1

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman held a phone call on Wednesday to discuss the Israel-Gaza conflict, state media in Tehran reported.

It marked the first known call between the leaders since China negotiated a deal between the two after seven years of hostility.

Raisi and Bin Salman discussed the "need to end war crimes against Palestine," Iranian state media reported.

The Saudi crown prince "affirmed that the kingdom is making all possible efforts in communicating with all international and regional parties to stop the ongoing escalation," Saudi state news agency SPA said.

SPA reported that the crown prince reiterated Saudi Arabia's rejection of targeting civilians in any way.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-67073970

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thank you for your service my friend.  If you don’t mind me asking, where were you stationed? 

I didn’t know we had a veteran in here. Learn something new every day. 

Germany, BC, Saskatchewan, Ontario.

I suspect there are a number of veterans on here.  It doesn’t reply come up often when discussing bad GMs. 😄

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 hours ago, Taxi said:

So Iran's role was limited to just giving Hamas all the money and weapons required to pull this off?

Yeah well maybe if America/ the CIA/ British hadn't backed a coup to depose the

democratically elected leader of Iran, and replaced him with the Shah who was so corrupt it allowed the fanatic clerics to take over, Iran might be a functioning democracy right now.

Not ruled by a bunch of religious fanatics.

Cause and effect.

The Iranian people have suffered the most from America's greed for Iranian oil back then, re the consortium agreement.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

If and when Gaza ground invasion starts, word bloodbath won’t be enough to describe what will happen. With all the tunnels, suicide bombers, dense population and urban warfare, the casualties will be in tens of thousands. 

What is Gaza like the size of Surrey? Going to be bad.

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

If and when Gaza ground invasion starts, word bloodbath won’t be enough to describe what will happen. With all the tunnels, suicide bombers, dense population and urban warfare, the casualties will be in tens of thousands. 

It seems like there will be a few days of bombs from the air.  Then the ground troops will come in.  Weaken the enemy as much as you can threw the air before you send in the troops…

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It’s a little bigger than Surrey.  Surrey’s population is around 520,000 people. The population of Gaza is over 2 million. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It seems like there will be a few days of bombs from the air.  Then the ground troops will come in.  Weaken the enemy as much as you can threw the air before you send in the troops…

It’s a little bigger than Surrey.  Surrey’s population is around 520,000 people. The population of Gaza is over 2 million. 

No one knows for sure how many fighters Hamas has, it ranges from 10 to 40k. It’s a cult of death that celebrates dying in combat, most them are willing to die and take as many people as they can. It will be ghastly.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No I mean land size

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ya be like Stalingrad. Destroyed, no food, no water, no electricity, no fuel, no medicine. 

Always remember reading stories about residents eating bread made out of sawdust during the siege. Not to mention cannibalism.

Soviets were all going to die because they had no choice, these Hamas fucks are looking forward to death. Plus to keep the hatred going, they will sacrifice as many ordinary Palestinians as they can. Absolute no regards for human lives.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Always remember reading stories about residents eating bread made out of sawdust during the siege. Not to mention cannibalism.

Soviets were all going to die because they had no choice, these Hamas fucks are looking forward to death. Plus to keep the hatred going, they will sacrifice as many ordinary Palestinians as they can. Absolute no regards for human lives.

Ya good point, more like Leningrad.