Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

4 hours ago, RomanPer said:

The Day of Remembrance of the Catastrophe and Heroism has begun in Israel - the first since the mega-terrorist attack 7️⃣/🔟. Therefore, many things will be “for the first time”:
- For the first time we will not repeat "Never Again". Because what kind of “Never Again” is there if at the Nova festival that morning young Jewish women were again hiding in garbage containers, where they were found and shot by armed Arab killers. Their grandmothers and great-grandmothers hid in the same way in garbage pits, latrines and in the sewers of Lvov and Warsaw, fleeing from total genocide.

- For the first time, we will not be able to speak a Hebrew poem about two days of remembrance - the Holocaust and the fallen soldiers of Israel, whose loss figures - six million and 23 thousand, show how much it “cost” us without the State and how much with it. Because before our eyes and with our fellow citizens, friends and neighbors, the greatest murder of Jews since the Holocaust occurred.

- For the first time, we understand that the State of Israel and its Army have not fulfilled their strategic mission, which has been spoken about with pride and pathos for decades from all platforms: to be a reliable and safe refuge for Jews.

The failure is too obvious, and its correction is very far from complete. We are terribly far from even realizing the need for a radical change in the entire system of values, the state, army, intelligence, legal system, relationships between sectors and groups of our society.

And not for the first time, but absolutely the same as in the 1930s-1940s, the world does not care about the Jewish people/Israel.

Whether we are being slaughtered from the Gaza Strip, or whether Tehran is preparing a total “erasure of Israel from the map of the world” - by and large, no one cares, everyone has their own life and their own concerns. What “lessons of the Holocaust” are there if Islamonazis sit along the entire perimeter of Israel’s borders and openly call for a new Holocaust. And “progressive humanity” after the 7/10 massacre condemns Israel for self-defense in the wild jungles of the Middle East.

Because the cynical world community is ready to mourn the dead Jews of the Holocaust, but is never ready to support the Jews of Israel - living and victorious. That is why all sorts of UN, Biden and Hague prevent Israel from winning.

Hence the simple, difficult conclusions: live your own life and be yourself. Accept as the norm the hatred of pro-Hamas demonstrations around the globe. Quietly contemplate the decline of the once best universities in America and drink tea while watching reports from campuses that are completely frostbitten.

Do what is necessary for the survival and preservation of the Jewish people and Israel - here and now, tomorrow and always. And yes - give birth to more Jewish children in the Jewish State, giving them a good Jewish education.

Remember the Holocaust - without thinking that we are so super-duper, modern and insured against black failures, Remember our many enemies and appreciate our few friends. But rely only on your own strength and on the Creator of the Universe. Am Israel hai!✡️🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱 (c) Shimon Briman, Israeli journalist

While I am not culturally Jewish I do believe there is a "Jewish consciousness" that would be a unifying force of good if people knew how and why it evolved. Instead, well, you know the rest... 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Inkidu said:

While I am not culturally Jewish I do believe there is a "Jewish consciousness" that would be a unifying force of good if people knew how and why it evolved. Instead, well, you know the rest... 

If NetenYahoo was a Leader of Peace without all the corruption behind him, then I believe that the people of Israel would certainly become a country that  could be on the path of being a catalyst of peace. 

He, is not a reflection of the majority of his ‘good’ people. 

• ThereItIs 1

39 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

If NetenYahoo was a Leader of Peace without all the corruption behind him, then I believe that the people of Israel would certainly become a country that  could be on the path of being a catalyst of peace. 

He, is not a reflection of the majority of his ‘good’ people. 

He is a reflection of their well-founded fears. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

How do you react to these nutjobs?  This is an important unanswered issue.

What would you do / advise Israel to do...   

However they would respond to the events of October 7, I would advise them not to kill thousands of women and children.

Cause the conditions for starvation/ famine for over a million more.

And not destroy an entire enclave/territory.

The end does not justify the means in regards to how this conflict has panned out.

Can you imagine the reaction of the rest of the world if this was the Palestinians doing to the Isrealis, what the Israelis have been doing to Palestinians for the last 7 months.

Do you think the US would be giving military aid to the Palestinians to kill Israelis ?

Like they are to the Israelis.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Inkidu said:

He is a reflection of their well-founded fears. 

He is a reflection of his own power mongering and fear of facing Justice for his corrupt ways. 

He’s what would happen if Trump became President of the US again. 

Yahoo just proved what would happen if a corrupt narcissist was able to get back in power and used that power to attempt to negate the Judicial Branch, to protect himself and used war as a means to cling to power. 

He’s a disgusting despot. 

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

However they would respond to the events of October 7, I would advise them not to kill thousands of women and children.

The end does not justify the means in regards to how this conflict has panned out.

Can you imagine the reaction of the rest of the world if this was the Palestinians doing to the Isrealis, what the Israelis have been doing to Palestinians for the last 7 months.

Do you think the US would be giving military aid to the Palestinians to kill Israelis ?

I understand what you are saying, but this only exists in the abstract.

How could Israel possibly respond and not have unintended consequences? 

Particularly with an enemy that not only uses human shields, but banks on civilian deaths as part of its plan 

• ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

And honestly, fuck most of those morons protesting at Universities/Colleges across N.America. 

Get an education in fucking around and finding out. 

Dumbasses. 

It's just a big party, like the vax stuff.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

A moran is still a moran regardless of their education. 

I've met some doozies with PhDs.

It's eerily similar to the anti-vaxxer protests, right down to people making excuses for the extremists in the crowds.

Edited by Bob Long
  • ThereItIs 1

44 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

And honestly, fuck most of those morons protesting at Universities/Colleges across N.America. 

Get an education in fucking around and finding out. 

Dumbasses. 

I really applaud today's decision by 13 federal judges with regards to Columbia University.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I understand what you are saying, but this only exists in the abstract.

How could Israel possibly respond and not have unintended consequences? 

Particularly with an enemy that not only uses human shields, but banks on civilian deaths as part of its plan 

Would you think it was abstract if it was your child dying in your arms.

Or if you were watching your child suffering the effects of starvation. 

Your wife was killed.

We can only control our own actions Jim.

I hope I could be one of this sort of person in their Situation.

Dated today

" Working towards a solution: Palestinian and Israeli parents mourn together " 

https://www.jpost.com/opinion/article-800338

" We are dedicating the ceremony to the children in the war. Their only crime is being Palestinian or Isreali.

If I were to communicate with young students after what's happening on the campuses all over America and in many places in Europe and the United Kingdom, I would stress that this is an opportunity for them to be a part of a solution to a conflict that has been going on for far too long. The loss of life and the destruction of property is beyond belief. 

The students now have the attention of all the media, so why not use it to really make change ?

Neither side will disappear no matter which side they take, so I ask, " how can we end this madness "

My answer would be " instead of importing our conflict, why not export support for groups who are doing the work on the ground to end the destruction of war and recognise the humanity in each other.

I belong to an organisation of some seven hundred bereaved Palestinian and Israeli families who have all lost a loved one in the conflict. Every day we work for a non violent solution to end the war and the occupation. I joined the parents circle - Families Forum after my son David was killed by a Palestinian sniper. One Palestinian killed my son, not the whole Palestinian nation. 

I knew almost immediately that I wanted to stop other mothers and families from both sides from experiencing a pain that never goes away. How could I harness this incurable hole in my heart to prevent others from experiencing loss. How to get both sides to recognise that the pain of loss is the same, and the tears the same colour. How to convince Isreal that the occupation is killing the moral fibre of this country. 

Watch a joint Palestinian and Israeli memorial ceremony 

We are offering students around the world a unique opportunity to organise a screening online and watch a joint Palestinian and Israeli ceremony on Sunday, June the 12th, at 8.30pm Isreal time.

Our extraordinary partner in this ceremony is Combatants for Peace. This organisation is made up of former soldiers and Palestinian prisoners who have laid down their arms and are working every day for a peaceful end to the conflict. There is almost an element of miracle that both these organisations are continuing to meet and make decisions together to create one of the most moving ceremonies you will ever be able to watch. 

The ceremony is usually held in a park outside: last year, some 15,000 people attended and 300,000 people watched online. This year is different. There is so much pain on both sides and so much loss, and also the fact that the Palestinians from the West Bank are living under closure since October 7, so we decided to only have it online. 

We are dedicating the ceremony to the children in the war. Their only crime is being Palestinian or Isreali. People who have lost their loved ones from the 7th of October, both Israeli and Palestinian, will tell their stories and speak out for an end to the war.

I would ask the students to imagine that they are part of our work, imagine telling the stories you heard on this night and exporting your understanding of the sanctity of human life, and understanding that just maybe, just maybe the telling of these stories will make the emotional breakthrough that could stop the violence. 

We think that it is very important to know that Jewish and Muslim students have nothing to do with the decisions made by the government, so perhaps it would be better to work together for a solution. " 

" The writer is a bereaved mother and spokesperson for the the Parents Circle - Families Forum " 

More about Robi, the person who wrote that article

https://brenebrown.com/podcast/nonviolence-as-the-path-to-freedom-for-palestinians-and-israelis/

" Robi Damelim spokesperson and director of international relations for the Parents Circle - Families Forum joined the organisation after her son was killed by a Palestinian sniper.  All her work on the ground both in Palestine and Isreal and internationally is geared towards non violence and reconciliation as a means to the end the occupation. Robi was named as 2015 Woman of Impact by Women of the World. She regularly contributes to media outlets in Israel and abroad. Robi was invited to brief the security council in May 2022. "

I hope that if I was in Robi's position, had lost my child in those circumstances, that I would have the courage of my convictions to be like she is.

One thing I know for a fact Jim, is that when people like Robi, outnumber the people who carry anger and hate in their hearts on both sides.

Then maybe there is hope for a peaceful solution.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RomanPer said:

I really applaud today's decision by 13 federal judges with regards to Columbia University.

And let's look closer at those 13 judges and their unethical behaviour in regards to not hiring clerks from Columbia University, but also some other of their nutjob actions.

" The right wing ban in Columbia students is highly unethical " 

https://newrepublic.com/article/181354/federal-judges-ban-columbia-students-unethical

" Thirteen conservative judges say they won't hire from the University - a blatant abuse of their judicial office " 

" Judges do not comment on politics. This principle is so fundamental to American legal system that even writing it out feels like writing " that doctors treat patients " or " pilots fly planes ". When judges take political stances or opine on political disputes, it undermines the integrity of the federal courts and the confidence that Americans have in the judicial system's fairness and impartiality. 

The overwhelming majority of state and federal judges accept that sacrifice in exchange for the prestige and public service that comes with judicial life. Some apparently, do not: A group of conservative federal judges demanded on Monday that Columbia University make " significant and dramatic change" to insure " viewpoint diversity " and announced a boycott on hiring Columbia students - both undergraduates and law students - until it does. 

The letter lobs a number of other hyperbolic accusations at Columbia and browbeats the university for not being strict enough with the with student protestors ( hundreds of police in riot gear were not sufficient apparently ). But what stands out is that a group of federal judges is using law - clerk hiring practices to opine on political matters. By using their government jobs to make ideaological demands of private entities they are blatantly abusing their judicial office. 

The letter was written by judges Elizabeth Branch and James Ho, and Matthew Solomson. They and ten other federal judges signed it. Nine of the judges, including Ho, are from Texas. They include some of the most ideaologically driven judges in that state, including Judge Matt Kacsmaryk, who tried to ban the most commonly used abortion pill, and Judge Brantley Starr, who ordered three Star West airline lawyers to undergo " religious liberty training " with a conservative Christian legal group last year. 

The others serve on the 11th circuit court of appeals, on federal district courts in Georgia and north Dakota, the court of federal claims and the US court of international trade. What all 13 judges have in common is how they got their jobs: They were appointed by then - president Donald Trump. 

It is strange and extraordinary for a group of federal judges to weigh in on a political dispute like this. The code of conduct for the United States Judges, which serves as the federal judiciaries ethics code, instructs sitting federal judges to "refrain from political activity" 

While the canon specifically focused on running for office, serving on political committees, and fundraising for candidates, they also generally admonish judges from to interpret the instruction broadly. " A judge should not engage in any other political activity " , the code states. " 

And then there is this 

" That means that not a single student who was on Columbia's campus for the last month would be excluded under its terms. Nor is the boycott targeted at specific wrongdoers. The judges did not announce for example, that they would refuse to hire students who made anti Semitic remarks or engaged in criminal acts. Instead they said they would refuse to hire any Columbia students at all. The judges also made it clear that its indiscriminate nature was intentional.

" Universities should also identify students who engage in such conduct so that future employers can avoid hiring them " the judges wrote. If not employers are forced to assume the risk they hire anyone from Columbia maybe one of these disruptive and hateful students " 

That approach to collective punishment is anathema to the Anglo -  American legal tradition. It is disturbing to see a group of federal judges to endorse punishment for innocent people in any context. And it's nonsensical in its own terms. Excluding all Columbia students because of a few " disruptive and hateful " would logically exclude the students to whom those few were allegedly being disruptive and hateful. In the name of combatting antisemitism, the judges are refusing to hire from a university where one in five students is Jewish ".

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Don't duck it; how could they stymie Hamas if Oct 7 was a legitimate threat?  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Don't duck it; how could they stymie Hamas if Oct 7 was a legitimate threat?  

I am not ducking anything.

Hamas was a threat on October 7 because Isreal was focused on the bullshit that Netanyahu has/had been causing.

And their much vaunted intelligence system let them down. 

Now Hamas is not the same threat that is was then. 

I will totally admit I am no military strategist.

What I am well versed in, is international human rights law.

In particular collective Punishment. 

This article details why collective punishment is ilegal not just under International Human rights Law, but it also possible that it is illegal under International Criminal Law. 

https://opiniojuris.org/2023/10/24/a-short-history-of-the-war-crime-of-collective-punishment/

I could post a lot however this sums it up.

" Thus, a great step forward has been taken. Responsibility is personal and it will be no longer possible to inflict penalties on persons who themselves have not committed the acts themselves complained of.

https://guide-humanitarian-law.org/content/article/3/collective-punishment/

" International humanitarian law posits that no person may be punished for acts that he or she did not commit. It insures that the collective punishment of a group of persons for a crime committed by an individual is also forbidden whether in the case of prisoners of war or any other individuals. ( GC111.  Art.  87,  API Art.  75.2.d, AP11  Art. 4.2.b ) this is one of the fundamental guarantees established by the 1949 Geneva Conventions and their 1977 Additional Protocols. This guarantee is not only applicable to  protected persons but to all individuals no matter what their status or to what category of persons they belong, as defined by the Geneva Conventions ( GC1V  Art.  33 )

Collective Punishment is prohibited based on the fact that criminal responsibility can be attributed only to individuals. Respect for this principle can be assured solely by establishing guarantees that protect judicial procedures. This principle must also be monitored in the context of disciplinary sanctions procedures. "

What was and is happening now in Gaza constitutes the very definition of collective punishment.

October 7, was 7 months ago.

Isreal is no longer defending itself from being attacked.

It has been attacking Gaza for 7 months. 

And there is no end in sight.

I also know what is morally wrong.

Killing innocent women and children, and causing the conditions for starvation/famine for over 1 million people. 

That is morally wrong.

While we have people that defend Isreals actions, we will continue to kill each other in pointless wars, fought by stupid people.

I want to be a person like Robi Damelim. 

A person who not only forgives what is almost unforgivable, but works towards helping others so they don't have to suffer the same pain she does.

She represents the best of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Rebuttal is not a solution.

While Hamas is alive, Sinwar is in charge; the solution to the crisis is not more layers of blame on Israel.  Its not that this should be dismissed. Israel has its accountability.

The courts have a chance of restricting Israel. Also international pressure. Their democracy hopefully has the will to change who is in power; a negative impact. Israel is not the only problem. Bad as their behaviour is, there are controls. There is no control over lawless militant groups like Hamas.

In which case this crisis will still go on another 80 years. Just as it has been in Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan, Syria. Whether Bibi is in power or not.

You are still ducking the question. There are no solutions without what Palestinians bring to the table to offer peace.  

What do you got to offer?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Congress summons DC city officials to Capitol Hill wanting to know what's happening at the GWU campus...

Suddenly the DC mayor decides it's time to finally uphold the law.

*knock knock* *wakey wakey eggs and bakey*

*Fair warning to peacefully disperse before the pepper spraying and arresting commence*

*Previously warned about pepper spraying and arresting commences*

*City sanitation has to come and hose off the urine, feces, garbage, and remnants of food that rats have been feasting on*

The House of Commons has voted unanimously in support of a motion to add Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps to an official list of terrorist organizations.

The motion came from a House justice committee report that, among other things, called on the government to designate the IRGC as a terrorist entity in Canada. MPs voted 327 to 0 to accept the report on Wednesday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mps-support-designating-irgc-terrorist-group-1.7198181

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

19 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Would you think it was abstract if it was your child dying in your arms.

Or if you were watching your child suffering the effects of starvation. 

Your wife was killed.

We can only control our own actions Jim.

I can't think of anything worse. It happens all over the world, every day. 

It still doesn't excuse Hamas, or make choosing Hamas as your political leaders good choice. Choosing things while in desperate grief usually isn't the best way forward, but it is understandable. 

19 hours ago, Ilunga said:

One thing I know for a fact Jim, is that when people like Robi, outnumber the people who carry anger and hate in their hearts on both sides.

Then maybe there is hope for a peaceful solution.

totally, these kinds of folks are desperately needed. 

• Huggy Bear 1

13 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I am not ducking anything.

Hamas was a threat on October 7 because Isreal was focused on the bullshit that Netanyahu has/had been causing.

And their much vaunted intelligence system let them down. 

Now Hamas is not the same threat that is was then. 

This article details why collective punishment is ilegal not just under International Human rights Law, but it also possible that it is illegal under International Criminal Law. 

https://opiniojuris.org/2023/10/24/a-short-history-of-the-war-crime-of-collective-punishment/

I could post a lot however this sums it up.

" Thus, a great step forward has been taken. Responsibility is personal and it will be no longer possible to inflict penalties on persons who themselves have not committed the acts themselves complained of.

https://guide-humanitarian-law.org/content/article/3/collective-punishment/

" International humanitarian law posits that no person may be punished for acts that he or she did not commit. It insures that the collective punishment of a group of persons for a crime committed by an individual is also forbidden whether in the case of prisoners of war or any other individuals. ( GC111.  Art.  87,  API Art.  75.2.d, AP11  Art. 4.2.b ) this is one of the fundamental guarantees established by the 1949 Geneva Conventions and their 1977 Additional Protocols. This guarantee is not only applicable to  protected persons but to all individuals no matter what their status or to what category of persons they belong, as defined by the Geneva Conventions ( GC1V  Art.  33 )

Collective Punishment is prohibited based on the fact that criminal responsibility can be attributed only to individuals. Respect for this principle can be assured solely by establishing guarantees that protect judicial procedures. This principle must also be monitored in the context of disciplinary sanctions procedures. "

What was and is happening now in Gaza constitutes the very definition of collective punishment.

October 7, was 7 months ago.

Isreal is no longer defending itself from being attacked.

It has been attacking Gaza for 7 months. 

And there is no end in sight.

I also know what is morally wrong.

Killing innocent women and children, and causing the conditions for starvation/famine for over 1 million people. 

That is morally wrong.

While we have people that defend Isreals actions, we will continue to kill each other in pointless wars, fought by stupid people.

I want to be a person like Robi Damelim. 

A person who not only forgives what is almost unforgivable, but works towards helping others so they don't have to suffer the same pain she does.

She represents the best of us.

X2

People still buy the “we’re bombing Palestine to kill Hamas” shrill even after all the innocent deaths (and counting). People need to take into account that for every innocent father, son, mother, daughter Israel kills, they’re potentially creating 5 new Hamas members. Hamas isn’t just physical people; it’s an organization, an idea. Israel needs to stop its offensive.

But I think the better question is: why is CDC some major pro-Israel circle jerk? What’s up with that?

• Cheers 1

On 5/7/2024 at 4:26 PM, Sharpshooter said:

Please don’t incite/flame other Members for factual information/reporting they provide. 

That goes for everyone, not just yourself. 

Not everything he stated was factual. Some was very strongly opinionated. Moderating this should go both ways.

• ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Rebuttal is not a solution.

While Hamas is alive, Sinwar is in charge; the solution to the crisis is not more layers of blame on Israel.  Its not that this should be dismissed. Israel has its accountability.

The courts have a chance of restricting Israel. Also international pressure. Their democracy hopefully has the will to change who is in power; a negative impact. Israel is not the only problem. Bad as their behaviour is, there are controls. There is no control over lawless militant groups like Hamas.

In which case this crisis will still go on another 80 years. Just as it has been in Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan, Syria. Whether Bibi is in power or not.

You are still ducking the question. There are no solutions without what Palestinians bring to the table to offer peace.  

What do you got to offer?

I have got this to offer.

Finally the United States has had enough of Isreals inhumane actions in Gaza.

They are freezing shipments of military aid to Isreal. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/may/08/us-signals-to-israel-more-arms-shipments-could-be-paused-rafah-offensive-gaza

Happy to see that some people in the US have a conscience.

And I have told you what I believe the Palestinians should do.

Hand over the hostages and surrender.

They agreed to a ceasefire.

Isreal then went ahead and invaded Rafah. 

Why don't you agree with the families of the hostages ?

So do a large percentage of Israelis themselves.

The actual victims here.

They want a ceasefire 

But who cares about the hostages and the Palestinian civilians.

It's all about Hamas' right.

I have also got this to offer.

Palestinians killing Isrealis wrong.

Isrealis killing Palestinians is wrong. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I can't think of anything worse. It happens all over the world, every day. 

It still doesn't excuse Hamas, or make choosing Hamas as your political leaders good choice. Choosing things while in desperate grief usually isn't the best way forward, but it is understandable. 

totally, these kinds of folks are desperately needed. 

For starters the Palestinians elected Hamas a long time ago.

There have not been elections since.

They quash any form of opposition to their rule.

As for their support in wartime, it's actually human nature.

George H.W. Bush had a low approval rating until the gulf war.

It surged to 64%, then 82%.

His sons GW presidency was similar, he started with a higher approval rating 60%, it surged to 85%, peaking at 95%.

After 3 years of war and a shitty economy his approval rating dropped dramatically. 

These are leaders of a nation invading another nation. 

Gaza is being invaded. 

It's human nature that people will support those who are fighting the people who are oppressing them. 

And that is what the Isrealis have been doing to the Gazans.

And the Palestinians in the west bank.

And the Palestinians in east Jerusalem. 

25 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Not everything he stated was factual. Some was very strongly opinionated. Moderating this should go both ways.

My Warning is a general warning. 

Once I give a warning, everyone applies to it, in thread, regardless of their intent. 

I’m working this Site across multiple Threads. I won’t suffer fools. 

Again, a General Statement.