Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Agreed!

Traveling around the world is The Best Teacher ever!

I travelled as a teen. Thanks to Dad. 

All around Europe. 

I need to make sure my kiddo gets that experience too. 

Sitting in Canada is fine. Awesome in fact. 

But, taking our kiddos around the world make ‘them’ smarter. 

I know it for a fact. 

we're firm believers in showing a kid as much as you can, providing experiences,  and letting them figure out what they like. Exposure to stuff is key imo. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RomanPer said:

Pretty fast response from the Burnaby School District

https://burnabyschools.ca/response-to-harmful-exam/

Imagine if there were Jewish kids in the classroom?  The teacher should be fired immediately…

Regardless of intention, the question is deeply concerning and could be trauma-inducing for students, and particularly Jewish children. I am grateful to the family of one of the students in the class for raising this. On behalf of the Burnaby School District, I apologize. As a District, we are taking steps to address the harm.”

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

we're firm believers in showing a kid as much as you can, providing experiences,  and letting them figure out what they like. Exposure to stuff is key imo. 

As long as they’re able to know ‘right’ from ‘wrong’ 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine if there were Jewish kids in the classroom?  The teacher should be fired immediately…

Regardless of intention, the question is deeply concerning and could be trauma-inducing for students, and particularly Jewish children. I am grateful to the family of one of the students in the class for raising this. On behalf of the Burnaby School District, I apologize. As a District, we are taking steps to address the harm.”

And then our kids have to face this. @Bob Long

Now back to ‘reality’. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

16 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The easiest way imo option is to get rid of standardized testing in 11 and 12. 

Make their test an amalgamation of mathematics/English writing at the very basic of ability, and then taken to a higher level. 

Math and Language skills are expressed in very different and varied ways and though they may not be ‘equal’, they’re equal in Society based on how they’re valued. 

I have a little kiddo. Imagine that.

Can you imagine the ‘good stuff’ I teach my kiddo outside of ‘school’? 

It’s  ‘astronomical’. Literally. 

I learned a lot of history/physics/chemistry on my own accord after highschool just from being bored and getting invested. Just had the time. I have always been good at math, got like 99% on all-trades math tests after high-school. 

You could maybe even get some of that 11/12 testing done in earlier years. 

I think if you present kids with a lot of options in highschool they may gravitate towards something and figure it out while in highschool. 

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I learned a lot of history/physics/chemistry on my own accord after highschool just from being bored and getting invested. Just had the time. I have always been good at math, got like 99% on all-trades math tests after high-school. 

You could maybe even get some of that 11/12 testing done in earlier years. 

I think if you present kids with a lot of options in highschool they may gravitate towards something and figure it out while in highschool. 

Same. 

Everything I learned was out of sheer desire. 

Schooling doesn’t impart the ‘amazement’ of learning. 

Now I have a telescope and microscope and I teach my little one the things their ‘schooling’ doesn’t. 

Schools are just the basic. Parents are the advanced teachers, if we have the time and economics to teach ‘them’. 

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m sure you’re upset that the Paper even suggested that Jews don’t deserve to have their own Homeland and that Palestinians don’t deserve to have their own Homeland too…

Right? 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There was. This is the kid that took the pictures and passed to the parents.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I’m sure you’re upset that the Paper even suggested that Jews don’t deserve to have their own Homeland and that Palestinians don’t deserve to have their own Homeland too…

Right? 

I'm on the record in this thread that both Israel and Palestine deserve their own state.  In fact, Palestine was offered their own state on multiple occasions in history.  Instead, they allowed a terrorist organization to take control of Gaza in 2006, and here we are today...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm on the record in this thread that both Israel and Palestine deserve their own state.  In fact, Palestine was offered their own state on multiple occasions in history.  Instead, they allowed a terrorist organization to take control of Gaza in 2006, and here we are today...

If you’re on the record of saying that both Israel and Palestinians deserve their own States,

…then I expect nothing less from your posts going forward. 

I expect your posts going forward as posts that respect both. 

Anything less means that you’re not true to your Word. 

I will ban you in a moment. I’m giving you this moment to be a force of peace and unity. 

Take the baton, and be just that, please. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Wanna talk about traumatized kids and their schooling/education system ?

How about the 625,000 Gazan kids and their trauma, and what has happened to their education system.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-30/gaza-children-take-part-in-school-lessons/103649136

" An analysis by humanitarian provider Education Cluster, which partners with save the children and the United Nations, has found more than 89.2 percent of all schools in Gaza, have been directly hit, destroyed, likely damaged or possibly damaged through the war as of March 30. 

It found that all the education equipment - including chairs, desks and whiteboards and textbooks - have been destroyed.

" We've lost a whole years worth of education "

Education cluster coordinator David Skinner says the effects of the catastrophe will be felt for generations.

In all my years I can't think of somewhere where there's been such a sudden degradation of the education system, he says. 

We've lost a whole years worth of education - even if there's a ceasefire soon - it will still take out a while year of learning. 

But that pales in insignificance to the biggest problem, which is how are children who have gone through this experience going to get back into learning.

He says that everyone has been impacted by the war in some way.

Every child has seen things they shouldn't have seen he says.

They've been bereaved, displaced - some several times - and there are significant mental health issues. "

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

An analysis by humanitarian provider Education Cluster, which partners with save the children and the United Nations, has found more than 89.2 percent of all schools in Gaza, have been directly hit, destroyed, likely damaged or possibly damaged through the war as of March 30. 

This is a tragedy. A massive tragedy!

Its worth noting Hamas curriculum, the PLO before them & UNRWA taught generations to hate and be willing to attack their neighbour. That they had a right to do so. That the land was theirs and theirs only! Who were even beaten if they resisted such messaging. This curriculum became a reality as indeed this occurred.

Now suddenly those schools are gone? Imagine if they had been taught to respect those who wanted to go to temple, or a synagogue? 

Here look at parents in this thread in places like Burnaby wanting to shield their kids from hate messages.  Debating how to introduce such subjects? That debate was not allowed in Gaza. Its 100% true that Israel is far, very far from guilt free. It does not mean that this school & religious very structured & cultural messaging of violence was not a significant contributing factor to the catastrophe that became these schools. 

Its why that question, what was it, #6 (?), is so dangerous. Its starts to become pervasive.  

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

This is a tragedy. A massive tragedy!

Its worth noting Hamas curriculum, the PLO before them & UNRWA taught generations to hate and be willing to attack their neighbour. That they had a right to do so. That the land was theirs and theirs only! Who were even beaten if they resisted such messaging. This curriculum became a reality as indeed this occurred.

Now suddenly those schools are gone? Imagine if they had been taught to respect those who wanted to go to temple, or a synagogue? 

Here look at parents in this thread in places like Burnaby wanting to shield their kids from hate messages.  Debating how to introduce such subjects? That debate was not allowed in Gaza. Its 100% true that Israel is far, very far from guilt free. It does not mean that this school & religious very structured & cultural messaging of violence was not a significant contributing factor to the catastrophe that became these schools. 

Its why that question, what was it, #6 (?), is so dangerous. Its starts to become pervasive.  

Brother there is nothing to say about what has happened to the children in Gaza apart from this is a fuckin tragedy.

I don't believe that a question asking if Isreal has the right to exist is a hate message.

It encourages children to educate themselves as to why Israel does indeed have the right to exist.

It encourages critical thinking, something I tried to teach my son from day 1.

What would be a hate message is telling the children that Israel doesn't have the right to exist.

I hope this was followed up by providing the children with information in regards to these questions.

Factual information. 

And this pales into insignificance in regards to what has happened to the children in Gaza. 

Question 6 

What is the cause of poverty in this region.

The information given in regards to this question is, that Gaza is a incredibly dangerous place to live, most of its residents live in extreme poverty, food/water supplies are very scarce and it is tough to survive. 

Seems like a accurate description to me.

And the answer to that question is that Isreal has basically destroyed Gaza and is restricting the flow of humanitarian aid, yes ?

If faced with the choice, where would you like your child to be ?

In Burnaby faced with a questionnaire ?

Or in Gaza, traumatized by death, suffering and the schools/education system destroyed ?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

And the answer to that question is that Isreal has basically destroyed Gaza and is restricting the flow of humanitarian aid, yes ?

Get your facts straight before parroting lies.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I don't believe that a question asking if Isreal has the right to exist is a hate message.

It encourages children to educate themselves as to why Israel does indeed have the right to exist.

Here is the issue; its a probe leading question.  Designed to get a specific yes & no answer the way its phrased! You have to be careful what you ask for?

This infers that No, Israel does not have the right to exist might also be a correct. Which by the way, is taught widely. Has been taught widely specifically regarding Palestinian circumstance. So there will be parents, therefore kids who will have a dangerous reply. 

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Isreal has basically destroyed Gaza and is restricting the flow of humanitarian aid, yes ?

Another black & white predisposed answer requested.  To be fair, the answer contains yes.  However as much as its true. Its also misleading as it tells only a portion of the story. Plenty of jewish people also protest, work in volunteer programs to provide aid.  Something you yourself have pointed out.  Yet in the context of, hey if some Jews protest? The view other Jews have of defending themselves against terrorist organizations, is invalidated. Jews are just aggressive.  Blame, diffuse blame. Not educate. 

Many will believe nothing more is required when a question is too simple. They have to answer a certain way & discussion is not the goal.

I propose open ended questions inferring cooperation?

• Like 1

4 dead hostages, 2 who were alive in media posts designed to intimidate Israeli public just a few weeks ago. Three over 80 years old.

We wish Amiram peace.  Currently Hamas is refusing to release the bodies.

image.thumb.png.bbaca1dfba7ee6dc17aafe3b23c5a6ba.png

I posted stories in the last week of Israeli politicians lining up to support peace discussions.

Former Prime Minister Naftali Bennett is the opposite; critical of Bibi for wasting time & not storming through Gaza fast enough.  His solution to freeing hostages.

What is his background @RomanPer ?

5 hours ago, RomanPer said:

Get your facts straight before parroting lies.

Parroting lies ?

That's good coming from you.

You use made up BS religious myths as justification for owning Jerusalem.

You " parroted " the green house myth when that was debunked. 

Here are some facts Roman

Dated yesterday 

https://msf.org.au/article/statements-opinion/gaza-warning-aid-agencies-humanitarian-access-disintegrates

" The systematic obstruction at Isreali controlled crossing points, intensified hostilities and and prolonged telecommunications blackouts have reduced the volume of aid entering Gaza, including food, fuel and medical supplies, to some of the lowest levels witnessed in the last seven months, said 20 aid agencies. "

20 aid agencies state that Isreal is obstructing aid Roman.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I posted stories in the last week of Israeli politicians lining up to support peace discussions.

Former Prime Minister Naftali Bennett is the opposite; critical of Bibi for wasting time & not storming through Gaza fast enough.  His solution to freeing hostages.

What is his background @RomanPer ?

He is primarily right wing. While he himself is religious, his new party is open to both religious and secular people. His original party transformed into ultra-right religious party (with Ben Gvir and Smotrich now leading that party). He's leaning towards centrist positions, but still staying on the right. Oh, and he has money - sold his software company for millions of dollars prior to entering politics.

5 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Parroting lies ?

That's good coming from you.

You use made up BS religious myths as justification for owning Jerusalem.

You " parroted " the green house myth when that was debunked. 

Here are some facts Roman

Dated yesterday 

https://msf.org.au/article/statements-opinion/gaza-warning-aid-agencies-humanitarian-access-disintegrates

" The systematic obstruction at Isreali controlled crossing points, intensified hostilities and and prolonged telecommunications blackouts have reduced the volume of aid entering Gaza, including food, fuel and medical supplies, to some of the lowest levels witnessed in the last seven months, said 20 aid agencies. "

20 aid agencies state that Isreal is obstructing aid Roman.

"Statement opinion" is not fact. The same as "evidence from Hamas" about green houses. Get over yourself. If you want to get actual facts - find number of aid trucks sent by Israel vs the rest of the world combined. Then maybe we can talk.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

"Statement opinion" is not fact. The same as "evidence from Hamas" about green houses. Get over yourself. If you want to get actual facts - find number of aid trucks sent by Israel vs the rest of the world combined. Then maybe we can talk.

Some random dude who has a history of promoting myths, or the word of 20 aid agencies. 

I will believe what the 20 aid agencies state. 

People who are actually on the ground in the war zone.

Not some random half a world away in Canada. 

And what what  " evidence from Hamas " about Green houses are you talking about Roman ?

New York Times dude 

" Israeli Settlers Demolish Greenhouses and Gaza Jobs "

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/15/world/middleeast/israeli-settlers-demolish-greenhouses-and-gaza-jobs.html

You double down on your BS even when it is debunked by a legitimate source.

This illustrates you have zero credibility. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Wanna talk about traumatized kids and their schooling/education system ?

How about the 625,000 Gazan kids and their trauma, and what has happened to their education system.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-30/gaza-children-take-part-in-school-lessons/103649136

" An analysis by humanitarian provider Education Cluster, which partners with save the children and the United Nations, has found more than 89.2 percent of all schools in Gaza, have been directly hit, destroyed, likely damaged or possibly damaged through the war as of March 30. 

It found that all the education equipment - including chairs, desks and whiteboards and textbooks - have been destroyed.

" We've lost a whole years worth of education "

Education cluster coordinator David Skinner says the effects of the catastrophe will be felt for generations.

In all my years I can't think of somewhere where there's been such a sudden degradation of the education system, he says. 

We've lost a whole years worth of education - even if there's a ceasefire soon - it will still take out a while year of learning. 

But that pales in insignificance to the biggest problem, which is how are children who have gone through this experience going to get back into learning.

He says that everyone has been impacted by the war in some way.

Every child has seen things they shouldn't have seen he says.

They've been bereaved, displaced - some several times - and there are significant mental health issues. "

what actual use is this to the Burnaby curriculum or what is appropriate for grade 6? 

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Here is the issue; its a probe leading question.  Designed to get a specific yes & no answer the way its phrased! You have to be careful what you ask for?

This infers that No, Israel does not have the right to exist might also be a correct. Which by the way, is taught widely. Has been taught widely specifically regarding Palestinian circumstance. So there will be parents, therefore kids who will have a dangerous reply. 

Another black & white predisposed answer requested.  To be fair, the answer contains yes.  However as much as its true. Its also misleading as it tells only a portion of the story. Plenty of jewish people also protest, work in volunteer programs to provide aid.  Something you yourself have pointed out.  Yet in the context of, hey if some Jews protest? The view other Jews have of defending themselves against terrorist organizations, is invalidated. Jews are just aggressive.  Blame, diffuse blame. Not educate. 

Many will believe nothing more is required when a question is too simple. They have to answer a certain way & discussion is not the goal.

I propose open ended questions inferring cooperation?

I propose that the issues facing 625,000 Gazan kids are far more important than a single " questionnaire " in a school in Burnaby. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

what actual use is this to the Burnaby curriculum or what is appropriate for grade 6? 

What's more of an important issue to you Jim ?

The problems 625,000 children in Gaza face regarding their education and the trauma they have, and are experiencing ?

Or one questionnaire, in one school in a city in Canada.

I know whose problems are important to me.

• Upvote 1