Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

10 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Haniyeh‘s death is “a great loss for [Iran’s] Axis of Resistance, but it will not deter the resistance” in the Gaza Strip, Judea and Samaria, he said

Its worth mentioning if Israel were ever defeated?  Not the inference.

Hamas would be at war with Hezbollah in Judea, Samaria, the West Bank.  And anywhere else a snake can slither...

7 hours ago, Taxi said:

So  you admit that Jews have historical, cultural and ethnic ties to Israel, and their desire for a homeland there is based upon these ties?

You know I have posted about the Jewish/Israelis people historical ties to the place that is called Isreal/Palestine. 

You claimed I had denied the Jewish/Isreali people historical ties to Isreal/Palestine when I had literally posted the page or two before about the first and second temple amongst other historical facts about the Jewish/Isreali people. 

You then claimed that you didn't need to admit you were wrong, calling me a liar, because I, in your opinion are biased against Isreal.

I must be so biased that I post stories about Isrealis helping Palestinians.

You are a classic example of why our species continues to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Because so many people, including you, don't admit they make mistakes/are wrong. 

Like own it taxi.

Have the balls/courage to admit you were wrong.

• Cheers 1

On 8/1/2024 at 4:41 PM, Optimist Prime said:

early in the war I saw some footage of an "honourable'' Hamas warrior being martyred while whipping women, presumably his wives, but clearly women under his control at the very least, whipping them like goats out into the street in front and around him while he stood in the middle with an automatic firing over their heads at the IDF in a street battle. Not the last time I saw something like that in the last 9 months, and that is just the video i have access to, I wonder how many times it happens a day out there in the fight? The one I am describing was taken from a go pro from the bad guys after the fight. You can imagine the outcome for the unarmed women. 

On 8/3/2024 at 2:46 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

It should be obvious that using women and children as human shields was their strategy from the start. Then Iran's propaganda machine used it to affect public opinion globally. Pretty sickening and despicable.

• Vintage 2

@Optimist Prime

I know you have talked about the PTSD you have a experienced as a soldier. 

I don't know if you remember that a brought up the fact that far more US soldiers have died taking their own lives, over 30,000 since the start of the war on terror began, than have actually been killed in combat.

Today while I was bunching flowers I was listening to a guy talking about the results of a study commissioned by the Pentagon in relation to this.

Here is the New York Times article outlining the results. 

" Pentagon Data Shows High Suicide Rates Among Troops Exposed to Blasts "

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/31/us/military-suicide-rates-report.html

" A military report on suicide rates broken down by occupation finds the highest rates among categories that often work and train around weapon blasts. "

The guy went on to detail some cases of soldiers who had never served in war zones, reservists who were training soldiers, who were exposed to explosive blasts, that not only took their own lives, but also acted psychotically. 

The link to the discussion in this link.

https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/latenightlive/david-phillips-blast-exposure-and-brain-injury/104160086

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Sinwar in the 80's and 90's was an operative.

Who helped establish territory in Gaza for Hamas to control & enforced by extreme violence.  He executed those belonging to their political opposition (PA) or believed to be collaborators. Established networks which controlled, and were paid tax by local businesses. Assigned hits and responsibilities via messages from other leaders at their local Mosques. Imagine that in a place of worship? Where attendance by locals was mandatory to show allegiance. Territory was won street by street, Mosque by Mosque. Then enforced & Yahya with his own hands was the enforcer. Convicted for killing 6, he is widely known to have disposed of dozens.

Their organization thousands.  Also executed terrorist attacks to amplify anger within Israel, harness progress. Did not wish Jews to have peace aspirations. Just leave.

Most active in periods 6 & 8 years preceding the Oslo Accord with Israel & 2knd state solution; sworn to suppress any official or individual associated with transitioning to a life where Israel still existed. He dug a grave for one man, interrogated, beat him. Before strangling him with a Kaffiyeh. ''I strangled him with my bare hands.'' ''Buried him and went home'' he told court. This, at a time, even what remained of the PLO had moderated to the point of succumbing to compromise for peace. 

Currently; he surrounds himself with not Palestinian human shields, but remaining hostages from Oct 7. 

What Palestinians need is for an honest representation of the people to be selected to negotiate. Unfortunately they don't have charge of the hostages. 

Israeli doctors removed a fatal brain tumour from Sinwar's head while he was in custody. He acts entitled to that act of kindness and never hesitated to turn around on the people that had saved his own life.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

@Optimist Prime

I know you have talked about the PTSD you have a experienced as a soldier. 

I don't know if you remember that a brought up the fact that far more US soldiers have died taking their own lives, over 30,000 since the start of the war on terror began, than have actually been killed in combat.

Today while I was bunching flowers I was listening to a guy talking about the results of a study commissioned by the Pentagon in relation to this.

Here is the New York Times article outlining the results. 

" Pentagon Data Shows High Suicide Rates Among Troops Exposed to Blasts "

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/31/us/military-suicide-rates-report.html

" A military report on suicide rates broken down by occupation finds the highest rates among categories that often work and train around weapon blasts. "

The guy went on to detail some cases of soldiers who had never served in war zones, reservists who were training soldiers, who were exposed to explosive blasts, that not only took their own lives, but also acted psychotically. 

The link to the discussion in this link.

https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/latenightlive/david-phillips-blast-exposure-and-brain-injury/104160086

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/how-football-raises-risk-chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy#:~:text=In a condition called chronic,to dementia and eventually death.

That link talks about footballers mostly, but hockey players, and anyone exposed to concussive force over and over are at risk. I hope to get my brain looked at after I am dead and see if these proteins are in the folds of my tissue too. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy is the name of the disease and it impacts sports players and soldiers alike. 

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago
Iran has issued a NOTAM, notice to civilian aviation, warning that “gunfire will take place” for several hours on Wednesday night and into Thursday over parts of the country. It says it's because of military exercise

Note that it is now 11:15pm in Tehran, in 45 minutes it will be Thursday.

52 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:
5 minutes ago
Iran has issued a NOTAM, notice to civilian aviation, warning that “gunfire will take place” for several hours on Wednesday night and into Thursday over parts of the country. It says it's because of military exercise

Note that it is now 11:15pm in Tehran, in 45 minutes it will be Thursday.

Well, on this topic, Israelis don't lose the sense of humor even under the circumstances. The latest joke: "According to a source within Israeli Security apparatus, attack from Iran is expected within the next 24 hours. If it doesn't happen, read this message again tomorrow, as per the same source" 🙂 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/how-football-raises-risk-chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy#:~:text=In a condition called chronic,to dementia and eventually death.

That link talks about footballers mostly, but hockey players, and anyone exposed to concussive force over and over are at risk. I hope to get my brain looked at after I am dead and see if these proteins are in the folds of my tissue too. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy is the name of the disease and it impacts sports players and soldiers alike. 

I know all about CTE, I have had quite a few serious concussions.

I even knocked myself out wearing a high end helmet racing MTB and nearly split the helmet in half.

A few years back I had some heart troubles and had to have a CT scan.

The scan also identified brain contusions. 

This is completely different brother.

From the ABC article 

" The brain damage sustained is devastating and completely different to PTSD or CTE sustained during football injuries. 

Defense department studies suggests most blast exposure happens in training, not combat operations. "

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Taxi said:

Israeli doctors removed a fatal brain tumour from Sinwar's head while he was in custody. He acts entitled to that act of kindness and never hesitated to turn around on the people that had saved his own life.

You just can't do it can you ?

You don't have the courage to admit you are wrong.

Like most people who make the same mistakes, you just ignore the fact that you were wrong and continue on as if nothing happened.

4 hours ago, RomanPer said:

Well, on this topic, Israelis don't lose the sense of humor even under the circumstances. The latest joke: "According to a source within Israeli Security apparatus, attack from Iran is expected within the next 24 hours. If it doesn't happen, read this message again tomorrow, as per the same source" 🙂 

Reminds me Russian PRIPS I used to hand copy from the transmission interception. Shutting down stretches of their territorial waters, sometimes day after day after day until finally we would get some activity on usually missile tests and the shut down areas were landing zones for the rocket.

• Haha 1

Interesting read: https://www.thejc.com/news/israel/paris-olympics-hold-1972-munich-massacre-memorial-to-honour-israeli-victims-mh0gpf13

The full inside story of how Israel assassinated Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran – minute by minute

As has been universally assumed (although not confirmed by the Israeli government) Israel was indeed responsible for the killing of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran last week.

But the JC can reveal that the explosive device placed under his bed was planted by two Iranians recruited by the Mossad from the Ansar al-Mahdi security unit of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, the very people who were supposed to secure the building and its guests.

The Iranians themselves realised this after the assassination, when the guards were seen on security camera footage on the day of the assassination moving stealthily in the hallway towards the room where Haniyeh planned to stay, opening the door with a key and entering the room.

Three minutes later the guards (who were offered a six-figure sum each as well as immediate relocation to a northern European country) were captured on camera calmly leaving the room, going down the stairs towards the main entrance of the building, leaving and then getting into a black car. The guard at the parking lot checkpoint recognised them and opened the gate without asking any questions. An hour later they were smuggled out of Iran by the Mossad.

The building where Haniyeh was staying

The building where Haniyeh was staying

Reports have suggested that the device was placed in Haniyeh’s room weeks or months before the explosion. This is wrong. Security cameras show it was placed on the day of the explosion, at 4:23 pm - some nine hours before it was activated when Haniyeh entered his room. The explosion, which was set off remotely by a robot, took place after midnight, at exactly 01:37am local time.

To prevent possible detection, the Mossad planted a flat brick explosive, 3 inches wide by 6 inches long, that was fastened to the bottom of the bed. To minimise harming innocent civilians, they used a bomb known for its precision which targeted only Haniyeh’s room. As a result, only one specific area of the building was damaged (see the image on this page).

Iranians holding flags of Iran, Palestine, and Hezbollah (Photo by HOSSEIN BERIS/Middle East Images/AFP via Getty Images)

Iranians holding flags of Iran, Palestine, and Hezbollah (Photo by HOSSEIN BERIS/Middle East Images/AFP via Getty Images)

Haniyeh’s assassination, which was decided on after October 7, necessitated a complicated set of arrangements from a network of Mossad spies dispersed throughout Tehran, including local Iranian collaborators who had been active in Iran long before the Gaza War. Over the past 20 years Israel has been gathering intelligence about Iran’s efforts to develop nuclear weapons. This intelligence, in addition to the recruitment of the two IRGC members enabled the success of the operation.

Following the decision to carry out Haniyeh’s assassination, the Mossad began searching for a suitable opportunity to strike. It emerged when Haniyeh was invited to Tehran for the new Iranian president’s inauguration. The Mossad, with the assistance of intelligence unit 8200 (the IDF unit responsible for clandestine operations), intercepted phone calls between the organisers of the inauguration and the invited guests. When Haniyeh confirmed his arrival, the Mossad began executing the plan: eliminate Haniyeh in the guest house where he usually stayed during his visits to Tehran.

Mossad then sent its own agents to visit the area regularly to supply the operational logistics, map every street and alleyway, identify potential escape routes and check the building’s security measures. But the agents encountered difficulties when arriving in the area. The guest house was perched on a hill and surrounded by a forest of towering trees, which made it very difficult to observe the building clearly. But Israeli improvisation and creativity then kicked in. Five agents dressed themselves in green clothing and simply climbed the trees closest to the building while camouflaged by the green colour of the trees. Now the view was clear for them.

Their role was to report as soon as Haniyeh arrived at the building, having memorised his car’s colour and license plate number. In the absence of a source inside the building who could inform them when Haniyeh had entered his room, another Mossad squad, also dressed in green, climbed into the branches of the trees and watched the building from an angle where the window of Haniyeh’s room was facing them. Their role was to notify the bomb operator as soon as the light went out in Haniyeh’s room.

At 01:20 all the invited guests arrived at the guesthouse. Haniyeh entered his room after exchanging goodbye hugs and handshakes, while his bodyguard stood outside his door to keep him safe. About 10 minutes later, the light was switched off, and a pastoral silence fell over the guest house area.

At that moment the bomb operator detonated an explosion that shook the entire structure. Haniyeh was killed immediately. His bodyguard, Wasim Abu Shaaban, was critically injured and subsequently died after heavy bleeding. (When his identity was checked by the Mossad before the operation they realised that the bodyguard was also a wanted terrorist - a senior member of Hamas’ military wing and one of the group of terrorists who had infiltrated Israel through a tunnel in 2014 and murdered five IDF soldiers.)

Following the assassination, Iranian security authorities raided the guesthouse compound, arresting 28 senior military officials, and headquarters personnel who were present. All their electronic gadgets were confiscated to search their communications. The Iranian agents scanned the entire facility inch by inch and analysed the security cameras frame by frame. When they discovered that members of the IRGC were involved, they were not surprisingly enraged. The next day, when they threatened to inflict serious punishment on Israel, this was as much to do with the humiliation as because of the death of a senior Hamas official they were hosting.

The Mossad had multiple opportunities to eliminate Haniyeh in Qatar. But Israel refrained from doing so because Qatar served as a vital negotiator between Hamas and Israel over the hostage crisis. Carrying out an assassination on Qatari soil might embarrass Qatar and jeopardise any future peace accord between Israel and Qatar that had been under discussion before the Gaza war.

Elon Perry is a former commando soldier of the elite Golani Brigade of the Israel Defense Forces, which he served in for 28 years. He was a journalist for 25 years covering wars and terrorist attacks. Since 2010, he has been lecturing in the UK and USA about the 100 years of terror in the Middle East, with an emphasis on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. He lives in London.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

This past hour Iran has announced that joint "excercises" of the armed forces have begun in the Western and Central regions. 

Unsure if launches at Israel are part of that, or if the exercise 🤔 is part of the waiting game they are playing at with Israel. 

Some Intel folks suggesting retaliation strike will come from an unexpected quarter. I think the IDF is expecting anything, so that will be hard to pull off. 😕 

47 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

The Mossad had multiple opportunities to eliminate Haniyeh in Qatar. But Israel refrained from doing so because Qatar served as a vital negotiator between Hamas and Israel over the hostage crisis. Carrying out an assassination on Qatari soil might embarrass Qatar and jeopardise any future peace accord between Israel and Qatar that had been under discussion before the Gaza war.

Thanks for posting; interesting.  Even down to the ID of Haniyeh's security guard.

It's always been my opinion, attack Gaza, no attack, even no Oct 7.  Haniyeh, Sinwar and others would have to be removed from the situation.  The lowest common acceptable denominator being exile.  No solution including their ongoing rule! This man made himself rich beyond belief sacrificing Palestinian lives for his ascension, obviously Israeli as well.  I don't mourn him. Their philosophy everyone adopt, well, their philosophy, their religion & their rule or die not acceptable.  

Clearly its been messy doing it in Tehran. But we cannot kid ourselves as to who was the puppet master enabling them. I prefer this precise attack to Deif in the safe zone.

In spite of Deif hiding there. 

Maybe in the scheme of 80 years, each will allow some kinds of longer term improvements?

• Like 1

Several attempts to take him out?  Thwarted and abandoned even in the last seconds when proven there were live Israeli hostages being held with, and to shield him.  Even in the tunnels, would have been taken out long ago!

Edited by Canuck Surfer

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Thanks for posting; interesting.  Even down to the ID of Haniyeh's security guard.

It's always been my opinion, attack Gaza, no attack, even no Oct 7.  Haniyeh, Sinwar and others would have to be removed from the situation.  The lowest common acceptable denominator being exile.  No solution including their ongoing rule! This man made himself rich beyond belief sacrificing Palestinian lives for his ascension, obviously Israeli as well.  I don't mourn him. Their philosophy everyone adopt, well, their philosophy, their religion & their rule or die not acceptable.  

Clearly its been messy doing it in Tehran. But we cannot kid ourselves as to who was the puppet master enabling them. I prefer this precise attack to Deif in the safe zone.

In spite of Deif hiding there. 

Maybe in the scheme of 80 years, each will allow some kinds of longer term improvements?

It’s my understanding Deif is dead as of a week or so ago.

3 hours ago, RomanPer said:

It’s my understanding Deif is dead as of a week or so ago.

Yes; its widely reported now, he was killed in that attack. 

I have seen Israeli viewpoints that, now, if Sinwar falls?  Hamas will splinter or disintegrate. As no one else left commands the skills, or connections to maintain control.

Fucking gross.

For all the shit people level on Hamas (rightfully so) the lack of appetite to hold the other side accountable for actions and attitudes like this is fucking gross and so blatantly hypcocritical.

So what say you all about this statement and attitude while defending illegal settlements and the ongoing annexation and illegal removal of Palestines from Palestinian land?

Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said in a speech on Monday that Israel had no choice but to send humanitarian aid into Gaza.

"It's not possible in today's global reality to manage a war — no one will allow us to starve two million people, even though that might be just and moral until they return the hostages," he said at a conference in support of Jewish settlements.

Smotrich, a key partner in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's governing coalition, supports the reoccupation of Gaza, the rebuilding of Jewish settlements that were removed in 2005, and what he describes as the voluntary migration of large numbers of Palestinians out of the territory.

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Fucking gross.

For all the shit people level on Hamas (rightfully so) the lack of appetite to hold the other side accountable for actions and attitudes like this is fucking gross and so blatantly hypcocritical.

So what say you all about this statement and attitude while defending illegal settlements and the ongoing annexation and illegal removal of Palestines from Palestinian land?

Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said in a speech on Monday that Israel had no choice but to send humanitarian aid into Gaza.

"It's not possible in today's global reality to manage a war — no one will allow us to starve two million people, even though that might be just and moral until they return the hostages," he said at a conference in support of Jewish settlements.

Smotrich, a key partner in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's governing coalition, supports the reoccupation of Gaza, the rebuilding of Jewish settlements that were removed in 2005, and what he describes as the voluntary migration of large numbers of Palestinians out of the territory.

He is an idiot, just like his buddy Ben Gvir. Highly likely he will not be in the next coalition after the next elections.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Fucking gross.

Why do people who support Israels right to exist have to also have to defend every extremist in Bibi's government? I don't follow every stupid statement from people like this, nor do I feel the need to point out how dumb it is, seems pretty self evident the guy is an extremist not helping the situation.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Why do people who support Israels right to exist have to also have to defend every extremist in Bibi's government? I don't follow every stupid statement from people like this, nor do I feel the need to point out how dumb it is, seems pretty self evident the guy is an extremist not helping the situation.

Why do people who support Israels right to exist have to support the governemt of Israels openly stating that they are starving literally hundreds of thousands of people on purpose?

Quick heads up my guy.  BOTH parties can be in the wrong and if you are ok with this than you also have to be ok with Russia doing the same to Ukranians just to ensure you do not look like a hypocrite for...reasons.