Hamas attacking Israel

Sabrefan1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Like I said, you were probably better informed regarding the weaponization of technology. Thing is, most people probably aren't. I'm sure you can understand why seeing this bit of news come up would send off alarm bells in the minds of many folks, I doubt I was alone in thinking about the implications of weaponizing phones when seeing the news. The average person probably doesn't have an extensive knowledge of explosives history. 

But you're not wrong, if governments want to harm their citizens they will, one way or another. I suppose I question the use of explosive phones more in a US context, I don't really see it happening in Canada for example. But the US is a different animal entirely. 

I dont understand why it would be setting off alarm bells. This isnt some new idea, its been around for a long time. Look around your house, all of those things are potential attack vectors against you. Your amazon deliveries are another vector, not hard to intercept a package and replace it. There are reasons why security is so expensive, its a lot of fucking work for no visible gain as you only see its failures and not its successes.

4 minutes ago, Yoshiyoshi said:

I dont understand why it would be setting off alarm bells. This isnt some new idea, its been around for a long time. Look around your house, all of those things are potential attack vectors against you. Your amazon deliveries are another vector, not hard to intercept a package and replace it. There are reasons why security is so expensive, its a lot of fucking work for no visible gain as you only see its failures and not its successes.

Thank you for your honesty. 

You make valid points, but these are things most people probably don't think about. Just because you clearly have doesn't mean most people do. 

I wouldn't have really thought it about phones prior to seeing the news, I'm not alone in that. Given at least a couple other posts in this thread have spoken to the same matter illustrates that. 

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So Israel is completely justified and the good guys in this in your mind?

I don't think I need to have that arguement, tbh. I don't think real life works that way. 

I know Israel needed to do something, just like we would. I don't believe there are any perfect soltions to stuff like this, only more or less damaging. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Tactics not mentioned, sure sign Israel wants war North of the border...

Israel wants its citizens to return to their homes in the North. No one talks about the fact that over 300,000 Israelis were evacuated from their homes to the south and have been there for close to a year. It's all because of constant rocket attacks from Lebanon. At some point it has to end.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

35 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Israel wants its citizens to return to their homes in the North. No one talks about the fact that over 300,000 Israelis were evacuated from their homes to the south and have been there for close to a year. It's all because of constant rocket attacks from Lebanon. At some point it has to end.

We are having a more complex discussion on a hockey board than we see in most media. Context doesn't seem to matter anymore.

7 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It was the batteries heating up that set off the PETN explosive planted inside.  Friggin' ingenious. 

They switched to pagers for the sole reason that Mossad kept intercepting their calls. 

I look forward to seeing Mossad cracking Hezbollah's upcoming smoke signals. 💭   😂

For a long while ISIS would set up email accounts but not actually send anything with them. Would pass along the login info and just save the messages as drafts. I imagine all the terrorist orgs were doing something similar....for those who has net access 😄 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gnarcore said:

For a long while ISIS would set up email accounts but not actually send anything with them. Would pass along the login info and just save the messages as drafts. I imagine all the terrorist orgs were doing something similar....for those who has net access 😄 

There was a famous case of this happening in the US about 5-10 years ago.  I forget who it was, but it was the first time I had heard of this happening.  Law enforcement caught on and served a warrant to get access to the account and monitored the messages.

It was a great plan, but one of the communicators blabbed to someone and it got back to law enforcement.  It's proves the old saying...  Two people can keep a secret only if one of them is dead.

23 hours ago, RomanPer said:

I highly doubt it. The batteries in the pagers are way too small to cause an explosion by overheating. Plus, the overheating must be instantaneous for the target not to feel it warming up. I don't have any info beyond what's in the news, but my vote is for some sort of tinkering with the device before delivery.

One meme that I saw goes - this is an end game of a very long multi step operation. It started in 1928 when we founded Motorola 🙂 (I don't claim that Galvin brothers were Jewish, it's just a joke 🙂)

I am with roman, i think it is maybe possible to cause the battery to overheat but it would warm up substantially before igniting or exploding, so i don't see it catching all the people off guard like that. IMO it was built in during the supply chain events that built the actual pagers. Radios too likely after reading about todays attack. 

Generations ago an Israeli spy with ties to the Syrian government convinced the Syrians to plant shade trees of a specific variety beside every army base in Syria, to provide shade and overhead cover for the troops...during one of the many wars that followed, Israeli bombers just targeted those sites with the 'new' clumps of that kind of tree and got the upper hand in the war within moments of it starting. The foresight of the various agencies working for Israel is incredible and their reach, globally. In Kingston Ontario I was followed for 3 or 4 hours by what turned out to be an Israeli Citizen. He was at too many places I was at to be coincidence on a long trip doing errands that day. I was in fact being tailed. That goes back 20+years ago now and I was a small player at that moment for sure. It highlights, i think, that Israeli agencies are not reactionary but doing their work with an eye to the long game. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am with roman, i think it is maybe possible to cause the battery to overheat but it would warm up substantially before igniting or exploding, so i don't see it catching all the people off guard like that. IMO it was built in during the supply chain events that built the actual pagers. Radios too likely after reading about todays attack. 

Generations ago an Israeli spy with ties to the Syrian government convinced the Syrians to plant shade trees of a specific variety beside every army base in Syria, to provide shade and overhead cover for the troops...during one of the many wars that followed, Israeli bombers just targeted those sites with the 'new' clumps of that kind of tree and got the upper hand in the war within moments of it starting. The foresight of the various agencies working for Israel is incredible and their reach global. In Kingston Ontario I was followed for 3 or 4 hours by what turned out to be an Israeli Citizen. He was at too many places I was at to be coincidence on a long trip doing errands that day. I was in fact being tailed. That goes back 20+years ago now and I was a small player at that moment for sure. It highlights, i think, that Israeli agencies are not reactionary but doing their work with an eye to the long game. 

Sorry you were tailed.

• Wiener 1

10 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Sorry you were tailed.

I was thrilled I noticed. lol It was early in my career with that kind of a job. Now even in retirement my therapist says I am 'hyper-vigilant', in that if i notice the same car behind me has turned three streets in a row that I turn on, my mind starts churning. I then make random turns to make sure, lol, and every time they go a different way. lmao... i guess hyper-vigilant is a bad thing when I am not playing the game anymore. 

also: to add context; Kingston has a military school there and signals intelligence trainees. Much like generations ago up till i was doing it, Canada would record voice prints of russian pilots in training from the payphones outside their training centers from when they called home or such. Fast forward 20 years and we can match in most cases a bomber pilot flying near the north pole radioing back to base, match his voice print to a known record from back as far as when he was 20 years old and called his gramma. It comes in handy to know these things. So i have no doubt Israel and other nations would camp our training bases too, to a degree. Anywho, still have to mow half the lawn and time is ticking..back later. 

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I was thrilled I noticed. lol It was early in my career with that kind of a job. Now even in retirement my therapist says I am 'hyper-vigilant', in that if i notice the same car behind me has turned three streets in a row that I turn on, my mind starts churning. I then make random turns to make sure, lol, and every time they go a different way. lmao... i guess hyper-vigilant is a bad thing when I am not playing the game anymore. 

also: to add context; Kingston has a military school there and signals intelligence trainees. Much like generations ago up till i was doing it, Canada would record voice prints of russian pilots in training from the payphones outside their training centers from when they called home or such. Fast forward 20 years and we can match in most cases a bomber pilot flying near the north pole radioing back to base, match his voice print to a known record from back as far as when he was 20 years old and called his gramma. It comes in handy to know these things. So i have no doubt Israel and other nations would camp our training bases too, to a degree. Anywho, still have to mow half the lawn and time is ticking..back later. 

I guess I’m not alone then 🙂. I also memorize license plates of every car I pass or the ones that pass me on the road (for the duration of that trip, usually) lol

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, RomanPer said:

Would it not be faster to finish in Gaza versus open a 2knd front at same time? 

33 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

I guess I’m not alone then 🙂. I also memorize license plates of every car I pass or the ones that pass me on the road (for the duration of that trip, usually) lol

I stopped checking my rearview when I stopped....actually never mind. Not sure on the statute of limitations..... 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its a good idea, but after a number of rocket barrages in recent months, the front was already there.

Hopefully these precision attacks will help Hezbollah to reconsider their actions. Or, at least slow them down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It’s my understanding that Gaza campaign is almost done. Israel will keep some units in some areas until permanent leadership is identified but much smaller force than before. Plus, Israel didn’t use all its army in Gaza to begin with. I guess we will see whether this is the right strategy.